Asus and Razer Want To Make a "Gaming" Smartphone with Tencent

Tencent owns a LOT of gaming entities in China, they are basically China's EA, Facebook, Youtube, and Twitch, they have their own gaming console, are the Chinese publisher for PUGB, they own the guys who do League of Legends, they are also China's largest Music Entertainment company. They do everything entertainment related to the tune of 300 Billion a year in profits....

They don't make $300 billion in PROFITS. Their revenue is a little over $300 billion a year. Their revenue is close to $80 billion per year.

Tencent owns a LOT of gaming entities in China, they are basically China's EA, Facebook, Youtube, and Twitch, they have their own gaming console, are the Chinese publisher for PUGB, they own the guys who do League of Legends, they are also China's largest Music Entertainment company. They do everything entertainment related to the tune of 300 Billion a year in profits....

So, in other words, completely irrelevant to us then.

The ROG 2 phone I just ordered for $505 USD is Sanpdragon 855+ @ 2.9 Gig, 8GB Ram, 128GB Storage, it's not the old phone, it's the new phone.
That's really good, but I assume that's the Tencent edition that's missing a lot of bands, yes? Where from? $400-500 is my range for SD 855 and 90Hz screen.

Redmi K20 Pro is cheapest 855 based new phone on planet - can be had for low-$300's, but the damn thing doesn't have U.S. bands.

Last edited:
But of course this phone covers all the negatives you mentioned. Controllers, external displays, wired home network connections.

But you can't fit those in your pocket so the point is moot. If you're going to use it as a home gaming device you may as well get a console or desktop.

My real question here is, what mobile games actually require fast hardware? Most if not all of the mobile games I see advertised look like they could run on a 5 year old phone.

But you can't fit those in your pocket so the point is moot. If you're going to use it as a home gaming device you may as well get a console or desktop.

Or, if I'm going to buy a phone anyway, I don't need to buy a console or upgrade a computer ...... if it's up to the task, which I get to find out soon enough, at no great risk since .... I'm buying a new phone anyway right?

Worst case, the phone isn't as awesome and doesn't quite pull it off, and so I'm stuck with the fastest phone currently made, with Vanilla Android, and it cost me $505 dollars. Oh hurt me.

Last edited:
That's really good, but I assume that's the Tencent edition that's missing a lot of bands, yes? Where from? $400-500 is my range for SD 855 and 90Hz screen.

Redmi K20 Pro is cheapest 855 based new phone on planet - can be had for low-$300's, but the damn thing doesn't have U.S. bands.

Yup, Tencent version, same as the other as far as the bands go.

It has US bands, not a lot of them, so I'll see.

Thing is, here's my life. I wake up at 5:00, game for an hour, and go to work at 7:30ish. I usually stream something from Youtube on the 15minute commute to work. When I get to work, my phone goes into a lock box because I can't take it into the building where I work. I usually doesn't use it again until lunch, on days my wife didn't pack me a lunch. At lunch, I usually read an ebook for a few minutes, then the phone goes back into the lock-box until around 4:00 PM when I get off, put something back on Youtube, and drive home for that same 15 minutes.

Once I am home, I'm usually on my computer gaming until my wife comes home around 7:30, we have dinner, I game until around 10:00 or 11:00, and go to bed.

My wife works weekends, I am free to game from 9:00 Am until she comes home after 3:30PM. Usually I game after dinner on the weekends too.

That's the life of this ex-Army, retired, Contractor Sysad, who's married to a Korean woman who has discover the church and the glory of God.

It could be worse, I have money, I have no life. I can't wait to really retire and convert my wife into an Overland Adventure Queen because when I stop working, I'm hitting the road with or without her?

Last edited:
Or, if I'm going to buy a phone anyway, I don't need to buy a console or upgrade a computer ...... if it's up to the task...

Be honest with yourself: You're never going to get the same experience with a phone as you will with a console/PC.

There is always a niche market for everything but this will end up like Steamboxes, DOA.

Be honest with yourself: You're never going to get the same experience with a phone as you will with a console/PC.

There is always a niche market for everything but this will end up like Steamboxes, DOA.

No doubt, but as an individual, I see great advantage in finding out if I can adjust to a different experience.

Can I live with World of Tanks BLITZ over World of Tanks PC?
Can I live with PUBG Mobile over PUBG PC?
Can I live with the new experience, knowing what I gain in relation to what I lose?

I'm willing to try and find out.

Last edited:
So the phone arrived yesterday via DHL from JD.COM, no additional duties that I am aware of yet. The phone booted to setup, first option allowed for English as the primary phone language. Still, there is a lot of Chinese characters around for any of the pre-installed stuff. It took me some poking around but I finally got Google Play Store loaded, started loading some of my old favorites, then spotted the ASUS Transfer Wizard app on the phone. Downloaded the same app to my old phone, 45 minutes later, Contacts, Photos, Music, Apps, call history etc, all moved over to the new phone.

Popped my SIM from my old phone into the new phone and I'm on T-Mobile with no issues. I can't swear the actual signal at home is any better on the new phone, but it says I have more bars and it's working at least as good as the old phone for calls. I downloaded and played some WoT Blitz and although it's certainly different from the PC version of the game, I can see that I can get most of the same experience if I can nail down the controller differences. I need to hunt down where I can buy the ASUS ROG Kunai controller for it. It's new and different that the one for the first ROG Phone.

The Dock also arrived yesterday, I'll hook it up to the Router and a Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, and I'll see whats what with them this weekend.

So the phone arrived yesterday via DHL from JD.COM, no additional duties that I am aware of yet. The phone booted to setup, first option allowed for English as the primary phone language. Still, there is a lot of Chinese characters around for any of the pre-installed stuff. It took me some poking around but I finally got Google Play Store loaded, started loading some of my old favorites, then spotted the ASUS Transfer Wizard app on the phone. Downloaded the same app to my old phone, 45 minutes later, Contacts, Photos, Music, Apps, call history etc, all moved over to the new phone.

Popped my SIM from my old phone into the new phone and I'm on T-Mobile with no issues. I can't swear the actual signal at home is any better on the new phone, but it says I have more bars and it's working at least as good as the old phone for calls. I downloaded and played some WoT Blitz and although it's certainly different from the PC version of the game, I can see that I can get most of the same experience if I can nail down the controller differences. I need to hunt down where I can buy the ASUS ROG Kunai controller for it. It's new and different that the one for the first ROG Phone.

The Dock also arrived yesterday, I'll hook it up to the Router and a Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, and I'll see whats what with them this weekend.
Happy to see you got your package from DHL in one piece.

Well congrats it's working on TMO, I'd be curious which band it's connecting on. There are some really nice bang-for-buck Snapdragon 855 + 90Hz phones right now but they're all Chinese with the band support to match.

Last edited:

You're a little false-equivalence here. Steamboxes were a hedging maneuver. Smartphones - billions of them now - aren't going anywhere, and will only continue to get more powerful. There's a reason Google adopted Vulkan and standardized Android on it a long time ago.

Phones will reach a tipping point where they're Switch level of good enough to replace a console for many people, and will just connect to TVs with docks or USB-C or low latency wireless.

Well congrats it's working on TMO, I'd be curious which band it's connecting on. There are some really nice bang-for-buck Snapdragon 855 + 90Hz phones right now but they're all Chinese with the band support to match.

So I had that long winded post above and realized that as I rambled, I forget to get to my point. Let me try and close that circle.

Because of my "limited" lifestyle, go to work, go home, go back to work, small town, etc. My mobile sorta just needs to really work here, because I don't travel often any more. So that was where I was trying to get.

You're a little false-equivalence here. Steamboxes were a hedging maneuver. Smartphones - billions of them now - aren't going anywhere, and will only continue to get more powerful. There's a reason Google adopted Vulkan and standardized Android on it a long time ago.

Phones will reach a tipping point where they're Switch level of good enough to replace a console for many people, and will just connect to TVs with docks or USB-C or low latency wireless.

At that point streaming / subscriptions will largely be taking over traditional game sales. I still think most people will just opt for a dedicated home piece of hardware because when it is docked you can't use it for texts and other stuff very easily. Phones are just too big of a multi use device for them to be plopped down in place for hours on end and if you're one to do a lot of multi tasking while gaming I think you're going to opt for a PC. Or just keep your phone separate from a console so you can use it while you game.

Going forward I assume longer term these pieces of hardware will be $100 streaming devices with ports for your peripherals. Maybe more maybe less. But a decent dock will cost around $30 or so.

Alright, the latest. I never got around to playing with the Dock last weekend. My wife tried calling me and we missed a few times and she got pissed told me to return it.

Now I could fight that battle, and I'm a little disappointed, but I did notice a few things that didn't seem to work perfectly. First was streaming youtube via BT in the car. I would lose connection when I left the home WiFi range and it wouldn't pick up with mobile data. Now the phone did sit in the lock-box at work outside the building, and although the connections there on post are iffy, I would get off work and see texts, missed calls, voicemail, email, etc. And I even did some gaming from outside the building at work, though the lag was evident and made practical gameplay a no go, but the basic capability was there. But it's not going to be a perfect experience out of the box for a Chinese phone.

Therefor, I'm going to acquiesce instead of fight, and put the phone and dock up for sale, probably on ebay, I think I'll sell them both together, Phone and Dock for $500 and call it good and look forward to the day when a better overall experience is available. It would make a decent "Play Phone" for someone who has the resources to carry a second line for cheap.

If any of you are interested pitch me a PM, and I'll look at listing it on the site in the appropriate section.

Back