ASUS A8N-VM CSM runs hot?

clarknova

n00b
Hey all.

I recently replaced my Gigabyte motherboard due to all the problems it has with the Asus A8N-VM CSM.
For whatever reason my cpu now runs almost 10 degrees hotter than it did when I ran it on my gigabyte.

It idles now at around 44 degrees and goes up to 55 degrees on full load.
When I ran the Gigabyte It would idle at around 32 to 35 and would max out at around 48 or 49 degrees at full load.

I have the AMD X2 4400 with the ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu cooler.
I have cleaned the heatsink and chip twice with the Artic Silver kit and reapplied the artic silver thermal paste it and it still continues to run hotter than it did with the Gigabyte.
I checked the BIOS to make sure it isnt overclocking anything which it is not.

Any ideas?

The BIOS on this board has an AUTO Overclock feature that is turned ON by default. Have you checked this?

- JT

Different motherboards read differently...it's as simple as that. This is why we always tell people that it's best to double-check temperatures with a thermal probe. As long as your cpu is running at the same settings as before then it's almost surely running at the same temperatures as well. I'd chalk it up to varying readings from different mobos.

I know they read differently, but can they be so far off?
This is a 10 degree difference.

I am wondering the exact same thing about this board. I'm running this board and I also ran the gigabyte 6100/430 board for a short while. Temps on the a8n-vm csm seemed much higher to me as well, possibly as much as 10 C. I'm watercooling my cpu and gpu in an x-qpack case. At stock speed my X2 4200+ idles around 41 and load temps are 46 to 47.
If I do a cold boot and enter bios and immediately check my cpu temp, it's already like 32 C. Seems too hot, too fast.

Also, several of my coworkers are running the same exact cpu on various motherboards. Most of them get idle temps around 30 or 32 with the stock cooler or an xp-120.

I think the temps are not actually that much different. It seems that certain boards, like the a8n-vm csm, are just calibrated to read a higher temperature. It's probably safer if the cpu were to begin to overheat. It would shut down more quickly.

But i'm with you on this one, I would rather see lower temps. Makes you feel better inside :)

Well the problem isnt as much as the difference in the readings, its in the fact that if the Asus board readings are correct, that means I have a problem. Having a full load go up to 55 degrees is not something I wanna do. I dont wanna bring in instability due to overheating. Hell even idling at 45 degrees just does not seem right to me.

So if this board is giving the right temps, I will have to figure out how to cool it down better.

Have you seen any issues that may be related to overheating?
If not, then I'd say you are fine. You have a good heatsink, you've checked the mounting of it, you shouldn't really have anything to worry about.
I found a post on the asus forums where someone is noticing a similar issue.
He has a 3500+ venice core on an a8n-vm giving a 10 C hotter reading than a X2 3800+ on an a8n-sli. Same heatsink, same fan....temps 10 C hotter for the single core processor.

What kind of temps are the rest of you with this board getting?

I would like to hear what kind of temps other owners of this board are getting too.
The temps I'm showing make me nervous.

I'm getting misreadings on the A8N VM CSM as well, however, I have my opteron overclocked. Right now, according to speedfan, it's about 49C under load.

It is being watercooled by a WC-202 evercool watercooling kit. According to a thermosister in my x-qpack, the cpu is at 38C, which is reasonable.

Asus A8N-VM CSM bios 506
AMD Athlon 64 +3200
Zalman cu-7000 cpu cooler

Load 47C
Idle 42C

cpu fan throttled down to 1400rpm, rear 120mm fan down to 800rpm
nice and quiet...

Used Asus Probe II to get temps off mobo sensors.
Also used SETI@Home to setup load.

Also I'm overclocked FSB 240 (instead of 200)
I have 4 modules of double sided DDR, so to get it back to 400Mhz from 333Mhz, had to overclock, so cpu is running at +3400.

Asus, very VERY little bios tweaks, but good stability. Northbridge 6150 chip has a nice heatsink, and I'll never use the onboard video. Debating a heatsink for the 430 southbridge chip.

Maybe your vid card is putting too much heat in your case.
I went with an Artic Cooler 1500rpm blowing my Geforce 6600GT heat out the back.
It killed my PCIEx1 slot to use the cooler, but I had not plans to use it.
If you're running a hot vid card, you case ambient may be high.

Also your PSU? I'm using a Zalman APF400, above average efficient, with smart fan throttling based on heat.

Room ambient temp? Mine is rather cool since it's winter.

Back