Asus A7N8X Deluxe problem

Screwz Luse

Limp Gawd
Alright, so my girlfriend has an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2100+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and a 200GB Maxtor hard drive. I hooked everything up and the computer turned on. It was slow passing the post screen, and there was some beeping sound that seemed to be coming from the hard drive. The hard drive also sounded as if it was powering up and down a few times. I then put in xp and started the setup. After copying and restarting, the comp locked up before asking for any user information or anything. I restarted the computer, changed some of the bios settings (boot order, showing the boot screen, etc) and tried again. Again the computer locked up. I turned it off and disconnected, rearranging some of the power, thinking maybe the Antec psu had too much power being drawn off one of the lines. I turned everything back on but the monitor was showing nothing but it's self test. I tried reseting the cmos (unplugged the computer, pulled the battery, changed the jumper, and put everything back in place). I tried hooking everything up the way it was before but still have nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Appendum: When I have everything hooked up, it keeps trying to spin up the empty cd rom drive and that's where it's stuck at with nothing showing on the screen. Any thoughts?

Have you tried booting the computer with only 1 stick of ram, video card and floppy drive only? Does it post? I'm kind of confused. If it's stuck at the post screen trying to detect your drives, try changing your cables.

if you manage to get to the bios, turn on the speech post reporter. otherwise yer left listening for the beep code, which you can look up. if you remember what the beeps sounded like, google for beep codes and youll be able to sort out what the computer is telling you is wrong. The beeps werent coming from the hard drive, they were coming from the pc speaker.

put the hard drive on the primary ide and the optical on the second, use one stick of ram, and the videocard. if you have another videocard you might try swaping it in for sh*tz and giggles if the first one doesnt show anything.

you might also try swapping ram if you have extra. again, try to boot, if it doesnt work, swap.

Back