Asus 970gtx help

Pivo504

2[H]4U
What are most of you using for the fan curve and controlling it? I'm using Asus AI suite but it only allows 3 fan curves. When on auto the fans won't even come on until it reaches 55 to 60 degrees and when temps get into the 70s on auto it won't speed up the fans to compensate. However, when using the fan curve since it only allows 3 curves it's not really enough to create a gradual curve and the fans seem to go up & down in speed often. Can someone best the best curve to use as when these fans get to 50 and 70% they are really loud lol

Honestly sounds like you may want to get a new cooling solution if sound is an issue.

The fan is always going to have to hit 70% if it's under load, most likely. Meaning you'll always have sound issues at some point.

Larger fans tend to be much more quiet. Maybe even sell that 970 and get a different card with better cooling.

Which 970 is it? So I can look into it more.

Edit: I had a 970 SSC and the cooling was awesome and relatively quiet

best fan curve i've found over the year start with 0%RPM until 40C. then start at 40% fan speed the first point of the curve and increase 1% per degree, until 65C where it should be 65% fan speed, and typically those GTX 970 doesn't go beyond that at that speed... anyway, you can use MSI Afterburner to set a better fan curve..

It's ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX. I'm not sure if it's the oc version or not. Is there a way too check that? I just checked prices online and these cards are still selling for 450 dollars! I remember paying around 350 for it a long time ago. I don't see the point in getting another card when this one can play everything I need.
I will try that fan curve using afterburner

i do the same as my cpu; 25-30% flat until 50C then a straight line to 100% at 80C.

Yea, I had an Asus with a DirectCU II hsf and it was pretty quiet. Your main idea about your fan curve being off is likely the correct idea. But I do remember my DCU2 revving up under load as well.

Try MSI Afterburner. You can set a custom fan curve, and I would highly recommend it. The defaults are usually not great and the cards run too hot.

Not sure where you are seeing $450 for a 970. I looked on ebay and I see used ones for $80 to $120. If you can get $450, I would definitely take that offer. You can buy something much better for that price.

There seems to be a shortage of high end gaming cards due to covid because I've seen a lot of price gouging. I recently bought a 1070 ti on the forum and I was really looking for a 2070 ti but all the retailers are being dicks about pricing.

There seems to be a shortage of high end gaming cards due to covid because I've seen a lot of price gouging. I recently bought a 1070 ti on the forum and I was really looking for a 2070 ti but all the retailers are being dicks about pricing.
no shit eh! i bought my 5700 on jan 29 for $443CAN. it it now listed from only 1 reseller and they now want $1377 lol!!

Ah that sucks. Ive been thinking of upgrading one day. What is looking like the best card as far as price to performance and would be a huge step from my 970gtx? Every game I currently have the 970 plays well. But thinking if cyber punk turns out to be amazing and my 970 can't handle it to upgrade finally.

Ah that sucks. Ive been thinking of upgrading one day. What is looking like the best card as far as price to performance and would be a huge step from my 970gtx? Every game I currently have the 970 plays well. But thinking if cyber punk turns out to be amazing and my 970 can't handle it to upgrade finally.

I wouldn't upgrade until after they stop price gouging and/or covid. Or if you can find a decent used card om the forum for a good price.

Right now there are two 1070 ti for $250 each but they're stock hsf.

I'm honestly not sure what would be worth upgrading because my 970 SSC died and I was forced to upgrade rather than what I usually do is go look at a ton of reviews and find the best price per performance increase to upgrade to.

My gut tells me you should wait and go 2080 ti at least after the next gen comes out in order to really get a massive boost but a 2070 ti OC is great as well.

Edit: this also assumes you're going to upgrade the hell out of your monitor or that you can go from that 1080p to 1440p at least with your current monitor.

Going from 970 to 2070 would really require a resolution increase to feel the real benefits from it seems.

I wouldn't upgrade until after they stop price gouging and/or covid. Or if you can find a decent used card om the forum for a good price.

Right now there are two 1070 ti for $250 each but they're stock hsf.

I'm honestly not sure what would be worth upgrading because my 970 SSC died and I was forced to upgrade rather than what I usually do is go look at a ton of reviews and find the best price per performance increase to upgrade to.

My gut tells me you should wait and go 2080 ti at least after the next gen comes out in order to really get a massive boost but a 2070 ti OC is great as well.

Edit: this also assumes you're going to upgrade the hell out of your monitor or that you can go from that 1080p to 1440p at least with your current monitor.

Going from 970 to 2070 would really require a resolution increase to feel the real benefits from it seems.
Well I'm really in no rush atm. Like I said every game I play runs well on my system with the 970. I have a 27 inch acer 144 hz g sync monitor so I run all games at 1440p. I'm thinking it'll be able to handle cyber punk but who knows it could get delayed again lol. Reason I might want to upgrade sooner is bc the 27 inch is starting to feel small and I've been eyeing this https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B086XLLG28/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Just not sure if going from 27 to 34 will be considerable enough plus it's only 1440p and not 4k

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My bad you're right. I meant to ask if its worth it to go from 27 to the LG in the link of 34 inch plus it's only 1440p and not 4k. If someone own it can chime in.

Quote Reply

I have that monitor, it's awesome and well worth the price. However, you are going to have a bad time if you only have a GTX 970.

You won't really be able to get high frame rate and some stuff won't work (mainly G-Sync I think you need a 10-series or above).

I have that monitor, it's awesome and well worth the price. However, you are going to have a bad time if you only have a GTX 970.

You won't really be able to get high frame rate and some stuff won't work (mainly G-Sync I think you need a 10-series or above).

Even a 970 is too low for 1440p (16:9) 144hz. OP must be playing some 8yo games or indie stuff.

Personally, I have a 1070 ti 8bg Duke edition and I'm not sure 1440p is going to fly on this one even. I'm concerned if I spent $400 on a monitor and then I can't even game in 1440p. Although, the benchmarks I've seen are few.

Thanks for the reply! What card do you think is needed to use this monitor in native res? I notice its 3440 instead of 2560. Do all games support that resolution? In currently running all games at 1440p perfectly fine.

Yes, most new games support 21:9 aspect ratio these days. Sometimes you need to edit some files, but I've rarely seen a game not work.

What is needed? To be honest, probably a RTX 2070 Super (or used 1080 Ti).

For reference, I use a 2080 Ti and am usually getting in the 90 - 120 fps range with High settings. It's very intensive.

Last edited:
Even a 970 is too low for 1440p (16:9) 144hz. OP must be playing some 8yo games or indie stuff.
Yeah I'm not sure but I've been playing Witcher 3, mgv pp, doom 2016, gtav etc. They all seem to run super smooth. Maybe I can't tell the difference? I'm the type who only upgrades when it's a huge difference so I'm wondering if going from 27 to 34 is a big enough diff? Also with the price gouging on video cards it might be the worst time for this kind of upgrade?

27 to 34 is a nice size upgrade. The monitor will just just as tall, but wider. Definitely noticeable.

Even aside from the performance (and I'm pretty sure a GTX 970 will be too slow), you'll need a newer card to use FreeSync or HDR or get the highest refresh rate.

So it would only be worth doing if you also upgrade the GPU as well.

Well if I would upgrade to that monitor I would def be getting a new gpu. However, is now the best time for this kind of upgrade or should I wait?
Also, is this considered one of the best monitors to upgrade to a far as getting the next step from my 27 inch g sync ips monitor? I guess another important factor is how much I can sell my current gpu and monitor for....

I would say right now is not a great time to upgrade. Probably end of the year might be better, as the new cards could be a lot better or drive prices down.

There is also the issue of HDR, which is just in the early stages and somewhat experimental on the lower end. I would guess by end of year or early next year we might see some progress.

That said, there is always something new coming, and prices always change. So if you want a better experience, you can definitely get that now if you want to spend the money.

Yeah I'm not sure but I've been playing Witcher 3, mgv pp, doom 2016, gtav etc. They all seem to run super smooth. Maybe I can't tell the difference? I'm the type who only upgrades when it's a huge difference so I'm wondering if going from 27 to 34 is a big enough diff? Also with the price gouging on video cards it might be the worst time for this kind of upgrade?

Man even witcher3 would be really noticeable. I would think GTA V too. Are you using low or med. settings?

Well as I said earlier I'm really in no rush to upgrade asap. Mainly I'd like to have a nice rig ready for cyberpunk if it lives up to the hype. Even then I never pre order nor buy a game when it first comes out. Maybe it might be best to wait for black Friday sales in November? Anyways when are the newer cards coming out?
Man even witcher3 would be really noticeable. I would think GTA V too. Are you using low or med. settings?
High on everything

Well as I said earlier I'm really in no rush to upgrade asap. Mainly I'd like to have a nice rig ready for cyberpunk if it lives up to the hype. Even then I never pre order nor buy a game when it first comes out. Maybe it might be best to wait for black Friday sales in November? Anyways when are the newer cards coming out?

High on everything

You can't notice getting fps drops into the 30s? Gsync is a terrific tech but you can still tell when you drop that low. You are set to 144hz not 60hz right?

The new cards will most likely come out in Sept./Oct.

You can't notice getting fps drops into the 30s? Gsync is a terrific tech but you can still tell when you drop that low. You are set to 144hz not 60hz right?

The new cards will most likely come out in Sept./Oct.
No it plays super smooth and fast...I have it set to 144 with all settings high.
Are the new cards that are coming out going to drop prices on the current ones? And what is the best bang for buck nvidia card to be looking out for and also which
company?

Last edited:
Is your card full of dust?

Have you ever cleaned it?
It's clean. I clean my entire pc/fans minimum 6 months and earlier if I see a build up of dust. Besides my case is pretty amazing at keeping dust out compared to previous cases ive owned.

No it plays super smooth and fast...I have it set to 144 with all settings high.
Are the new cards that are coming out going to drop prices on the current ones? And what is the best bang for buck nvidia card to be looking out for and also which
company?

I've owned a 970 w/ a 1440p/144hz monitor and witcher 3 was playable (and noticeably better than my prev. 770) but certainly not without backing off a bunch of settings.

You know what I'm going to shut up because if it's fine for you I don't want to mess up your enjoyment. Just pop a 30xx series card in there when they come out and it will be sweet.

I've owned a 970 w/ a 1440p/144hz monitor and witcher 3 was playable (and noticeably better than my prev. 770) but certainly not without backing off a bunch of settings.

You know what I'm going to shut up because if it's fine for you I don't want to mess up your enjoyment. Just pop a 30xx series card in there when they come out and it will be sweet.
Haha prob so. I might as well wait it out til closer to cyberpunk and the release of the newer gpus. If I do get a new gpu I'll want to upgrade the monitor as well! I've put Witcher 3 aside and playing other games that don't require much gpu power so I can wait a bit longer

Haha prob so. I might as well wait it out til closer to cyberpunk and the release of the newer gpus. If I do get a new gpu I'll want to upgrade the monitor as well! I've put Witcher 3 aside and playing other games that don't require much gpu power so I can wait a bit longer

I have a feeling that, with Cyberpunk, CDProjecktRed is going to become the best GPU sales booster since Bitcoin.

I have a feeling that, with Cyberpunk, CDProjecktRed is going to become the best GPU sales booster since Bitcoin.
Haha well depending upon whether it lives up to the hype or not. I'm sure many dumb people will upgrade before the game is released but I never do that...I'm due for an upgrade regardless but in no rush atm. My rig gpu and monitor are 5+years old.
What is currently the killer monitor atm in the 30+inch range and also what is considered the best brand gpu to buy for nvidia cards?

Back