ASUS 7970 DirectCU II available now

Anyone here crossfire this card with a reference card? I've got one of them on order and I was thinking of using two, but using a reference card would certainly save me some space (and cash). What do you think?

Also, any recommendations for which manuf. to go with? HIS, Powercolor, Sapphire? They all seem to be about the same price, but I was hoping to get feedback on OC trends for one or the other.

So jealous of those of you who received one already, btw. ;)
When it comes to references they all are created equally. The only difference is the warranty. Asus, MSI and Gigabyte have the best because it's serial based. HIS might be serial based but I'm not sure. I only had experience with Asus and they are great.

For using 1 reference and 1 directcu, it's not a bad idea but remember the benefit of the directcu's silenence will be gone since the reference is a lot louder.

Bumping for people that have it. I want to know where you ordered it. Amazon takes a long ass time.

Bumping for people that have it. I want to know where you ordered it. Amazon takes a long ass time.

There were about 6-7 people that were able to pre-order them from Directron.com about 2-3 weeks ago, and those folks actually got them about a week ago. The rest of us that preordered with Directron got shafted and got nothing - they didn't get enough from their supplier.

A handful of others have managed to snag one in the 30 seconds they are available on Newegg from time to time. Though I haven't seen one pop up there in over a week.

Other than that, I haven't seen them available anywhere. As near as I can tell, Asus won't be shipping more stock on these to anyone until at least March 1.

There were about 6-7 people that were able to pre-order them from Directron.com about 2-3 weeks ago, and those folks actually got them about a week ago. The rest of us that preordered with Directron got shafted and got nothing - they didn't get enough from their supplier.

A handful of others have managed to snag one in the 30 seconds they are available on Newegg from time to time. Though I haven't seen one pop up there in over a week.

Other than that, I haven't seen them available anywhere. As near as I can tell, Asus won't be shipping more stock on these to anyone until at least March 1.
This seems very unfortunate. It seems all the Asus 7970s are very hard to get right now.

If I was in your shoes, I would preorder one from Amazon. They seem to be the best bet even if they end up cancelling your order. Lets say you wait 3-5 weeks and you get a cancellation, Amazon usually gives you a $10 gift card. They will also upgrade you to 1 or 2 day free shipping if you have been waiting a long time. Or least say you are waiting and it comes in stock somewhere else, it's very easy to cancel your order on amazon. Not to mention if you have a Chase Freedom CC it's 5% cashback from amazon right now

This seems very unfortunate. It seems all the Asus 7970s are very hard to get right now.

If I was in your shoes, I would preorder one from Amazon. They seem to be the best bet even if they end up cancelling your order. Lets say you wait 3-5 weeks and you get a cancellation, Amazon usually gives you a $10 gift card. They will also upgrade you to 1 or 2 day free shipping if you have been waiting a long time. Or least say you are waiting and it comes in stock somewhere else, it's very easy to cancel your order on amazon. Not to mention if you have a Chase Freedom CC it's 5% cashback from amazon right now

Did not know all this... Makes me even happier I have $100 in amazon gift cards saved up...

Thanks, I actually do have a pre order in with them (since awhile back), and another place at that. After getting burned by Directron, I'm spreading my bets around somewhat. I'll probably just do as you say and cancel if it comes in at one place first.

You too can own this very card for the small sum of.....

wog2i.jpg

wow. if they were in stock i would conider taking a loss on my HIS to nab one. fan noise alone would be worth it.

how did you manage that? Amazon limits the preorders on this videocard to just one:mad:

Don't know anything about pre-order limits, but keep in mind that these aren't pre-orders. This is why I had to do as Hanakuso suggested and get a rep to correct the price of my earlier order. Only pre-orders are automatically guaranteed the best price prior to shipping

I spoke to Amazon yesterday regarding changing the price from $623 (what I am going to pay once it ships) and $580 (what the item is listed at).

They will not, I repeat WILL NOT change the price. They only change the price for "TV items". Believe me, I fought tooth and nail in order for them to change the price, first on live chat, then over the phone, to no avail.

When I asked if I would lose my place in line if I cancelled my current order and replaced it with one at the new price, they said yes, I would.

What they ended up doing is waving my one day shipping ($17), and when I said that this wasn't enough (there's a $40 difference between the prices), they hesitantly gave me $20 Amazon credit, which I don't even care about.

Just wanted to share and save you guys time.

I spoke to Amazon yesterday regarding changing the price from $623 (what I am going to pay once it ships) and $580 (what the item is listed at).

They will not, I repeat WILL NOT change the price. They only change the price for "TV items". Believe me, I fought tooth and nail in order for them to change the price, first on live chat, then over the phone, to no avail.

When I asked if I would lose my place in line if I cancelled my current order and replaced it with one at the new price, they said yes, I would.

What they ended up doing is waving my one day shipping ($17), and when I said that this wasn't enough (there's a $40 difference between the prices), they hesitantly gave me $20 Amazon credit, which I don't even care about.

Sorry to hear that. I got on live chat and they did it for me immediately. I had her send me an email confirming the change, which does now show up in their system now. My original order was Feb 4, so I didn't want to lose my place in line either.

At least you got the $20 credit and free next day shipping. I've generally found their customer service to be very good, it's disappointing to hear it wasn't in your case.

Sorry to hear that. I got on live chat and they did it for me immediately. I had her send me an email confirming the change, which does now show up in their system now. My original order was Feb 4, so I didn't want to lose my place in line either.

At least you got the $20 credit and free next day shipping. I've generally found their customer service to be very good, it's disappointing to hear it wasn't in your case.

yea i just emailed them and they changed it :cool:

Mass Effect 3 Performance Test with ASUS Radeon 7970 DirectCU II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZkhASCfkAf0

looks to run cool but i do note guy is wearing a coat :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZkhASCfkAf0

looks to run cool but i do note guy is wearing a coat :D

Sorry, but this is very misleading. ME3 isn't even close to a demanding game for a modern graphics card. In fact, you can see right in the GPUTweak utility they have open that GPU utilization was never above maybe 70-80%, and most of the time significantly lower than that. So the max temp they saw really isn't a relevant figure.

On the other hand, I'm very interested in that monitor for a possible eyefinity. As long as it's IPS, that is.

Dunno what the problem is, you got $17+$20 = $37 and you get to keep your spot in line.

Alternatively, you could cancel your order, place a new one through a friend w/prime, take use a chase freedom card for another 5% and get the card a little bit later for cheaper than anyone else.

Sorry, but this is very misleading. ME3 isn't even close to a demanding game for a modern graphics card. In fact, you can see right in the GPUTweak utility they have open that GPU utilization was never above maybe 70-80%, and most of the time significantly lower than that. So the max temp they saw really isn't a relevant figure.

On the other hand, I'm very interested in that monitor for a possible eyefinity. As long as it's IPS, that is.

i was looking more at the 31c idle
at 75f room my watercooled 6970's idle at 29c

most review show a stock reference card idle is about 38c
but i will most likely WC these cards anyway

This pisses me off to no end. Good for you though.

EDIT: Question for ya. I ordered on the 5th--now that the ETA is "1-3 weeks" has your estimated delivery date been updated to reflect that or has it remained March 1-9?

Last edited:
i undervolted mine instead of ocing seeing i realize i don't need extra oc for fps on games i play
i managed to run heaven and leo on loop ( 5 times each ) on 1.025v O_O at default clocks of 1000/1400
my asci score is 79.1
it runs much cooler now

That's what Im dying to know. When Kepler is released these will drop in price.

i doubt it will and who knows when high end kepler will be out
now if the 7990 does come out for 849 that may drop the single gpu cards a little

i doubt it will and who knows when high end kepler will be out
now if the 7990 does come out for 849 that may drop the single gpu cards a little

Well lets look at this way. If a 7990 is going to be 850 why spend the money to crossfire at 1100-1200? I think it will have to drop at some point at least a little. I think Kepler will only make this price drop more drastic.

EDIT: Question for ya. I ordered on the 5th--now that the ETA is "1-3 weeks" has your estimated delivery date been updated to reflect that or has it remained March 1-9?

This place: http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...011004001501_BLL7476P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

used to show 15 coming in on 2/23, now that's been changed to 3/1. I'm guessing if they're getting them on that date, other retailers will be as well.

FWIW, I ordered one from amazon last night and have no ETA listed.

i undervolted mine instead of ocing seeing i realize i don't need extra oc for fps on games i play
i managed to run heaven and leo on loop ( 5 times each ) on 1.025v O_O at default clocks of 1000/1400
my asci score is 79.1
it runs much cooler now

That's very impressive. I think if I have to RMA my 580 I will try and score one of these.

That's very impressive. I think if I have to RMA my 580 I will try and score one of these.

it's nice but not impressive (relative to other 7900's). a lot of the 7970s that ship with 1.05v as stock core will do the same. i haven't tried those exact settings but when i was originally tinkering mine did something very similar with stock board.

ME 3 running on my 7970 tri fire setup I get 30% Gpu utilization across the board lol.

LOL Consoletastic!

I downloaded the demo on my PS3 the other day just for grins... Image quality was decent but OMG what a slide show. I don't know how consolers can stand their games looking like that.

my asci score is 79.1
it runs much cooler now

Awesome news. As cool as my case is, I'm thinking of doing this. I mean they're already at 1000 by default... Don't see myself using more horsepower than that as I mainly play SWTOR right now.

In my experience the estimated date means absolutely nothing. As I said, I ordered on Feb 4 (a day before you did) and my arrival date was estimated at March 2 to March 12. I also have prime shipping, so the two day shipping time should be built into that.

Further, that doesn't align with the current estimate on the website of "1 to 3 weeks", which would make it Feb 27 to March 12 (again, assuming 2 day shipping transit time).

Back