ASUS 7970 DirectCU II available now

BM00

Gawd
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Your a little late to the party bud, it was available to order over the weekend from Directron, been on Amazon since Monday, and Newegg sold out hours ago.

Last edited:
I want to order now. But no stock. I wasn't expecting this instock until Friday!

They are, with this card I could actually run 2 in crossfire and have spacing with my Rampage Formula.

Hopefully they will have more than 2 display ports. I like the ASUS one, but I think I'll wait
until some reviews are shown.

The shroud is designed better on this model. My current DCUII, the shroud and heatsink isn't supported all around and can bend if pressure is applied.
On the 7970 DCUII, the shroud is attached to the PCB all around which will prevent the heatsink from bending. This could me my next card.

Hopefully they will have more than 2 display ports. I like the ASUS one, but I think I'll wait
until some reviews are shown.

It has four DP ports, unless you mean more than two dual-link DVI ports?
If so, that's on AMD.

Last edited:
I'm debating swapping GTX580 SLI for a single 7970. Just waiting for the better binned / custom PCB cards. The vanilla reference models don't interest me.

Is there going to be a ROG or Matrix-branded 7970 from ASUS?

$600 bone, jesus-age-christ. Yes, I know there have always been GPUs at this price or above but who buys these things? Eyefinity is nice but the "investment" *cough* it requires for quality panels (who buys a $600 GPU and buys $hitty $150 TN panels?) is an easy $2000. Quality IPS 1920x1200 panels run $500+, dare I mention 30" panels not too mention at least an i5 2500 rig to support them. I've eaten,breathed and $hit video games since the Atari days and value gaming ........well pretty much more than all but 2 things in life, but even I couldn't justify $600 bucks on one GPU.

/rant

I have 3 IPS panels with native displayport for my eyefinity setup. We know what we need, but thanks for helping out :p

Heh. I've got 3x 120Hz DP monitors... It's like some members of [H] are... gasp! enthusiasts!

$600 bone, jesus-age-christ. Yes, I know there have always been GPUs at this price or above but who buys these things? Eyefinity is nice but the "investment" *cough* it requires for quality panels (who buys a $600 GPU and buys $hitty $150 TN panels?) is an easy $2000. Quality IPS 1920x1200 panels run $500+, dare I mention 30" panels not too mention at least an i5 2500 rig to support them. I've eaten,breathed and $hit video games since the Atari days and value gaming ........well pretty much more than all but 2 things in life, but even I couldn't justify $600 bucks on one GPU.

/rant

How about $1200 :cool:

It's a hobby and relatively cheap if you compare it to drug addiction.

You can be a hermit and play golf on your eyefinity setup :)

But yes golf is expensive ESPECIALLy if you suck & lose at least one ball a hole like I do...

Only thing more expensive than my enthusiast computer habit & golf...

my WIFE & three DAUGHTERS...

:)

Good thing I'm a financial advisor.

/rant
I dunno, I'm young, single and I have a good job, so I have a decent amount of expendable income. A $600 investment every 12-18 months for one of my primary hobbies doesn't seem unreasonable. But my other hobbies are cars and guitars so maybe it's all perspective.

I dunno, I'm young, single and I have a good job, so I have a decent amount of expendable income. A $600 investment every 12-18 months for one of my primary hobbies doesn't seem unreasonable. But my other hobbies are cars and guitars so maybe it's all perspective.

Buying an expensive video gaming card isn't investing. With an investment you hope to earn money. This is just an expense for your hobby.

Nice video card.

Buying an expensive video gaming card isn't investing. With an investment you hope to earn money. This is just an expense for your hobby.

Not all investments yield financial payouts... some are intellectual, emotional, or otherwise psychological.

Not all investments yield financial payouts... some are intellectual, emotional, or otherwise psychological.

This^

I play SWTOR for ~$15 a month. I get as many hours of entertainment as I can log on for. Going out to 1 movie and getting a snack costs at least that. I get 90 minutes.

SWTOR is the better investment.

hmm, MSI's twin frozr versus Asus Direct CU2? Is the triple slot on the Asus cards even helpful? What about the cross fire X guys? Its gonna be a tight squeeze with two Asus cards

Nice video card.
I obviously didn't mean it as a financial investment as I am aware that I am not going to yield a return on this (unless there is some other silly craze like Bitcoins again, but that's unlikely). I meant it as an investment in my hobby of video gaming. Don't try and argue semantics because I know you knew what I meant :p

hmm, MSI's twin frozr versus Asus Direct CU2? Is the triple slot on the Asus cards even helpful? What about the cross fire X guys? Its gonna be a tight squeeze with two Asus cards

Depends on your PCI spacing. Any ROG board will space the cards out.
My board will space the cards by two slots or I can tri-fire them.

I'm planning to use my coming DCu2 with a reference Sapphire for 2fire. The ref card at idle will barely need its fan... and with luck the ASUS will stay quiet as well. When it's time to game, then I've got headphones if it's somehow unbearable, which I doubt.

And I've got room for my pci-e audio card. But the selling point for me was the 4 DP connectors for my 120Hz monitors.

Getting away from the 3 slot would be nice, but isn't part of the allure of this card the stock cooler?

^^^ What he said. If you are going the waterblock route save your $$ and get a reference card. Why shell out the extra cash for a fancy paperweight after removing the HS? :confused:

^^^ What he said. If you are going the waterblock route save your $$ and get a reference card. Why shell out the extra cash for a fancy paperweight after removing the HS? :confused:

well the card has more than just a 2.5 slot cooler, two 8 pin power and better power handling should oc better
i was looking at this card as a maybe till EK said they were making a block for it
that decided it
will get two of them and watercool after a 30 day or so to test cards before i void them
and the reference cards are not that much cheaper some are 599 to

http://rog.asus.com/75602012/guides/whats-inside-the-asus-radeon-hd-7970-directcu-ii/

Getting away from the 3 slot would be nice, but isn't part of the allure of this card the stock cooler?

Generally I'd agree, but in this case the card offers 4x DP and 2x DVI outputs, versus the 2x mDP 1x HDMI 1x DVI of a standard reference card.. a clear advantage for those going eyefinity that want to avoid the tearing headache. EK confirming they are going to make blocks means I'll likely go with this card as well.

I'm looking to buy one of these ASAP, but can't find any in stock anywhere. Anyone know of a store that has some?

I'm looking to buy one of these ASAP, but can't find any in stock anywhere. Anyone know of a store that has some?

We all are. I sold my 6950s a few weeks ago and I'm using a old 8800GT until I can get a pair of these.

Many of us placed preorders with Directron for this over a week ago, with an ETA shipping date of 2/3. That date came and went and we're getting a song and dance from Directron about when they may be in. Suffice to say that my confidence is utterly lost in Directron and the first place I can find it somewhere else will get my business.

Generally I'd agree, but in this case the card offers 4x DP and 2x DVI outputs, versus the 2x mDP 1x HDMI 1x DVI of a standard reference card.. a clear advantage for those going eyefinity that want to avoid the tearing headache. EK confirming they are going to make blocks means I'll likely go with this card as well.

My 6970 DC2 had massive tearing on 3x U2711s on DP with heaps of tutuing, so don't expect wonders.

My 6970 DC2 had massive tearing on 3x U2711s on DP with heaps of tutuing, so don't expect wonders.
I had 5870 CF using native DP monitors (U2410s) and I never had an issue with tearing in Eyefinity. The only people I have heard of having problems are those using adapters.

Back