Asus 7950 DC II (Literally) Caught Fire

I like it.:D

The maturity level in this thread is brilliant.

Everyone is bandwagoning pretty horribly.

The maturity level is just fine here.
You obviously haven't read the entire thread.

The obviously animated responses here are justified after you read the whole thing.

It's honestly unbelievable that a multi-national, multi-million dollar corporation would balk so badly over a 500 dollar computer part.
The representatives (read CUSTOMER representatives) from ASUS have essentially blamed the customer and passed the buck..........it's nauseating actually.

Why, I ask should it take over 8 pages of banter and fingerpointing for this guy to get his case even reviewed?

This is really pathetic on ASUS' part.

This case stands out so much because when you shine the light of Corsair, Galaxy or MSI on it, it simply exposes how much ASUS DOESN'T give a shit about it's customer base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes. This doesn't look good for asus.

I mostly only purchase MSI or Gigabyte, but mostly MSI.

Story: I had a mother board with a couple bent pins that I couldn't straighten out socket 1155. I messaged their suport asking about how much it would cost to repair thr socket. They said to send the board in. In a week, I had a brand new board sent to me. No questions!

Ever since every computer I have built has had msi in it, and I've built several for my friends and family just In the last year.

This thread makes me avoid Asus.ill be buying a new Radeon videocard next generation. I WILL NOT buy one from a company that doesn't stand by their product.

Yikes. This doesn't look good for asus.

I mostly only purchase MSI or Gigabyte, but mostly MSI.

Story: I had a mother board with a couple bent pins that I couldn't straighten out socket 1155. I messaged their suport asking about how much it would cost to repair thr socket. They said to send the board in. In a week, I had a brand new board sent to me. No questions!

Ever since every computer I have built has had msi in it, and I've built several for my friends and family just In the last year.

This thread makes me avoid Asus.ill be buying a new Radeon videocard next generation. I WILL NOT buy one from a company that doesn't stand by their product.

Good to hear.
Every computer Ive built.........now going back to 2004, has had an ASUS MB except one.
My next will be either a Gigabyte or MSI.
Too bad, Ive loved my ROG boards, but this business has spoiled the love.:eek:

Dude clam down and leave the guy alone, Raja has been plenty helpful in the past and there's no reason to go flying off the handle like that. I'm glad that there is at least some community rep presence on here and not just from Asus.

But their representation is just plain dung.
Who has this guy ever helped?:mad: Really?

The maturity level in this thread is brilliant.

Everyone is bandwagoning pretty horribly.

Is "bandwagoning" even a word?:rolleyes:

I am not surprised at all by Asus, going through my own current issue with them.

I have never had a single issue with Asus and have been using their components for as long as I can remember. This is definitely.....interesting, though.

I have never had a single issue with Asus and have been using their components for as long as I can remember. This is definitely.....interesting, though.

Same here. However the problem isnt with their components, its when their components have a problem.

If I were OP, I'd do the following>

Find Asus facebook page & post something there
Contact BBB (When nothing else has worked, this has worked for me)

If neither of the above work, then go to small claims court.

Alright, a little update.

So I received an RMA shipping notification email last week. It was delivered today. They returned the card unimpaired, with a nice bit of copypasta about how my RMA is not eligable etc. that I've all heard before.

I filed with the BBB last week and ASUS has until the 23rd to resolve the issue. Haven't heard anything yet at all from either the reps here or on ROG either.

So I received an RMA shipping notification email last week. It was delivered today. They returned the card unimpaired, with a nice bit of copypasta about how my RMA is not eligable etc. that I've all heard before.

I filed with the BBB last week and ASUS has until the 23rd to resolve the issue. Haven't heard anything yet at all from either the reps here or on ROG either.

Wow... I'm really sorry man. Not that it'll help you or anything, but you can bet your ass that I'm going to be telling my PC-building friends about this. Funny thing is that my church was about to purchase an ASUS wireless router. Not anymore.

BBB is useless i wouldnt even of bothered
seems ASUS doesnt want our money any more
imo id email Kyle and see if he can get them do some thing

You could try the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection and make a complaint w/ them... At the very lease it will put a spotlight on ASUS and then they may want to act more favorably...

Absolutely appalling, and not even a response after several days. Not sure how anyone can stick up for ASUS, we are all witnessing their (lack of) customer service right now, they have 2 reps who know about this thread and are mute......

Absolutely appalling, and not even a response after several days. Not sure how anyone can stick up for ASUS, we are all witnessing their (lack of) customer service right now, they have 2 reps who know about this thread and are mute......

the reps already said they cant do any thing
why should they ever come back no point really
whats the point of a forum rep if they can resolve issues

Long time reader, I thought I had an account but apparently not. I recently upgraded and used an Asus z87-a. As far as I can remember, I've always used Asus motherboards with exception of an old Abit BH6 back in the day. I'm currently in the market for a new video card, wanting to upgrade from a Radeon 5870, and I was considering the Asus 770 gtx line because of the back plate.

After reading this thread and seeing Asus response to the request for RMA I'm definitely not going to purchase any Asus hardware in the future. Why even advertise a warranty if it's going to be shot down right from the get go.

After reading this thread and seeing Asus response to the request for RMA I'm definitely not going to purchase any Asus hardware in the future. Why even advertise a warranty if it's going to be shot down right from the get go.

And that's the kicker. For want of the wholesale price of a 7950 + shipping ASUS is going to bleed thousands in lost sales. Any company with a culture which chooses the 2nd option here isn't worth buying from to begin with.

I used to recommend ASUS to others and have never hesitated in purchasing their products, however after reading this thread, I'm out as well. Gigabyte and MSI from now on!

First, let me say that life is too short to get angry enough to yell at the ASUS CR rep on a forum. That said, Raja's comments were very ill advised and reflect poorly on ASUS.

More to the point, this is just another reminder that as buyers of higher end PC components, we should do business with companies that stand by their products, honor the promised warranties, and treat us with respect. No company is perfect, but overall I've had good experiences with Corsair, Galaxy, and EVGA in that they take care of me when something goes wrong.

Kyle and crew can give us great evaluations of ASUS video cards, tell us what to expect in the way of performance, and assess their price/value, but it's up to us as buyers to decide whether to risk giving our business to vendors that don't stand by their products. I for one have bought a ton of ASUS products over the years, but I am not going to continue to do so after seeing this. I don't want to wait until I need warranty service, and then find that I am screwed or have to argue with their customer service for months to get warranty service I am owed.

Sorry to hear about that. I've been following this thread from the beginning and while I'm not surprised you got the run around at first I am surprised that they've stuck with their position. Once a rep showed up I figured they had gone into damage control mode and the situation would be resolved, instead they tried to shift blame to the customer without any facts to back it up.

It's understandable for an occasional rma case to fall through the cracks but due to their obstinance it's clear that they have no desire to do the right thing(even in the face of public pressure), they simply want to deny every claim they think they can get away with.

I wish I had known the outcome of this when the thread started because it was still within the 30 day window for returning the 2 n66u routers I bought and it's now obvious that the 2 year warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. I don't think that I'll be buying or recommending any more asus products unless they clean up their act, it's a shame because I think they still make good products but electronics are too unreliable to buy without a decent warranty. Poor warranty service is also an indicator that the company is a sinking ship, quality is usually the next to go.

TLDR: Shame on asus, I won't be buying their products unless they change.

I see no reason to ever order another ASUS product. I have built thousands of pc's since 1993 and had my share of RMA issues but if everything the OP is stating checks out then I am done with them regardless of the outcome of this situation.

GG ASUS by not replacing one card you have now lost AT LEST 10 sales

I just helped someone put a build together. From a $1200 PC, not a single part was Asus.

Great "support" from ASUS. Similar threads on this and other forums had already made me reconsider buying ASUS product in the future and this one is the final nail in the coffin! I'm a simple home user so I do not have any illusion about the impact of my actions, but since I can only "vote" with my wallet, that's what I'll do. I will also stop recommending Asus part to friends and relatives. It's a shame really since ASUS was my go to company for many years.

Like others here it will be Gigabyte/MSI/EVGA from now on (still have a few ASUS parts so I'm hoping they will not require RMA anytime soon).

Pretty much any company has a few customer support horror stories but ASUS sure is looking like it's trying for a first place (I experienced this first-hand with an ASUS router that was returned for repair/replacement with the previous owner setup intact, and in a poor state, without so much as an explanation).

Last edited:
Registered just so I could say, sorry for your woes OP but I'm glad I caught this thread as I was considering a asus mobo for my next new build they are now on my 'Don't Buy Me Bro!' list forever or until i hear of a company restructuring with fired CEOs and COOs and whatnot...whichever comes 1st.:rolleyes:

Funny thing is I live in the caribbean so warranties usually mean squat to me as the turnaround and cost is usually too high to RMA anything, but this situation got me so mad at ASUS, I mean what if your house ended up burning down? GEEZ!!

I would think your product being a potential fire hazard would be something a company would do anything to rectify and sweep under the rug as quickly and as quietly as possible. Derp ASUS,... very DERP!

*Ninja Edit* I would've been like "IT CAUGHT ON FIRE?!!...ahem, I mean, say no more sir! there will be a 7970 or card of your choice in the mail for you along with a Iron clad Non-Disclosure Agreement so that you will not tell anyone about this (not even your therapist) in the next 24 hrs...Thank you for calling ASUS, have a great day!!"

Last edited:
BBB is useless i wouldnt even of bothered
seems ASUS doesnt want our money any more
imo id email Kyle and see if he can get them do some thing

I wonder how Kyle feels about all this? He seems like a pretty big Asus supporter. I'd like to see his stance..

I wonder how Kyle feels about all this? He seems like a pretty big Asus supporter. I'd like to see his stance..

And yet he seemed to be quite disappointed by not getting AMD's latest CPU for testing. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. How about reaching out to Asus? We would like to know what is going on with Asus.

And yet he seemed to be quite disappointed by not getting AMD's latest CPU for testing. Do not bite the hand that feeds you. How about reaching out to Asus? We would like to know what is going on with Asus.

I'm not biting anyone. I'm just asking a question. :confused:

Hello derpentine,

You have my email wrong. suppose to be rey not ery. Also, I didn't hear back from you when I request you to provide me your rma or serial number so I can look more into your case. Still waiting for a private message or for you to email me. It's cl-jeffrey not fery.

Our conversation doesn't need to be public, only the outcome that I provide you.

Just wanted to give you the heads up that I did show my supervisor and he said that this is not a CID case that this should be repaired in warranty.

Contact me if you want to move forward. If you want to just vent and keep replying to the community and have nothing resolved, I am just a private message and email away.

Regards,
Jeffrey

I agree with whoever said there's a bunch of "bandwagoning" here... It's kind of disheartening. Always big bad corporations and all. There's always two sides to a story. This seems like a case that fell through for one reason or another, but to completely write off Asus is kind of silly.

I agree with whoever said there's a bunch of "bandwagoning" here... It's kind of disheartening. Always big bad corporations and all. There's always two sides to a story. This seems like a case that fell through for one reason or another, but to completely write off Asus is kind of silly.

Except this is more of a rule for ASUS, not an exception.

Didnt read the whole thread huh?

Back