Asus 7950 DC II (Literally) Caught Fire

Don't be bad-mouthing my Corsair homies now! If you list everybody we won't have anything left to buy!!! ;-)

(If my sarcasm meter is broken) I was just clarifying that my listed companies are typically a pleasure to work with.

Don't be bad-mouthing my Corsair homies now! If you list everybody we won't have anything left to buy!!! ;-)

Lol.

Main differences with those other companies is that they actually honor their warranties, while with asus.........

Hello derpentine,

Contact me if you want to move forward. If you want to just vent and keep replying to the community and have nothing resolved, I am just a private message and email away.

Regards,
Jeffrey

It's good of you to chime in. I hope it gets sorted for the OP.

I don't think the OP is venting, the community is. It shouldn't have gotten to this stage and Asus needs to have a good hard look at either it's policies or the employees that follow them if it wants to restore any kind of reputation.

Hello derpentine,

You have my email wrong. suppose to be rey not ery. Also, I didn't hear back from you when I request you to provide me your rma or serial number so I can look more into your case. Still waiting for a private message or for you to email me. It's cl-jeffrey not fery.

Our conversation doesn't need to be public, only the outcome that I provide you.

Just wanted to give you the heads up that I did show my supervisor and he said that this is not a CID case that this should be repaired in warranty.

Contact me if you want to move forward. If you want to just vent and keep replying to the community and have nothing resolved, I am just a private message and email away.

Regards,
Jeffrey

Ok, my first post in this thread (although I have been following it for awhile). Not going to be rude and call names, etc, but have to point out a few things.

1. You have apparently had problems with e-mails being delivered to you before from the above statement you made. As you have a domain e-mail account wouldn't it be better to make sure you have BOTH email addresses (with the 'rey' AND the 'ery' )come to your inbox? Your whole job revolves around communication correct? If you see a problem that hinders communication with your clients take steps to make sure it doesn't happen.
  2. "Our conversation doesn't need to be public, only the outcome that I provide you." is not a good phrase to put into this thread. It's a polite way of saying STFU, this is nobody's business but ours. This is already public, and lots of people are taking an interest in what happens because they want to know how ASUS will handle this customer service incident.
  3. I'm not sure if English is your native language, but its unclear whether your supervisor is saying it should be covered or shouldn't be covered by warranty.
  4. Your last statement is also unclear as to what you are saying. It could be taken two ways- either "Contact me if you want to move forward. Even if you just need to vent and get some information for the community that nothing is resolved yet, I am still just a private message and email away." or it could be taken as "Contact me if you want to move forward. Or you can just vent and keep replying to the community and nothing will get resolved. I am just a private message and email away." You should probably go with the first one, but that's just my opinion. :D
However this works out this has been an eye opening experience about ASUS. So many times I have almost bought one of your MOBOs or cards and then saw one of these type of threads when researching it. I don't know all the facts about this story, and I doubt anyone posting here does. But I do know there are several other vendors that have replaced similarly burned cards in the past. I think I will continue to give ASUS a pass despite how good some of their products look.

Ok, my first post in this thread (although I have been following it for awhile). Not going to be rude and call names, etc, but have to point out a few things.

1. You have apparently had problems with e-mails being delivered to you before from the above statement you made. As you have a domain e-mail account wouldn't it be better to make sure you have BOTH email addresses (with the 'rey' AND the 'ery' )come to your inbox? Your whole job revolves around communication correct? If you see a problem that hinders communication with your clients take steps to make sure it doesn't happen.
  2. "Our conversation doesn't need to be public, only the outcome that I provide you." is not a good phrase to put into this thread. It's a polite way of saying STFU, this is nobody's business but ours. This is already public, and lots of people are taking an interest in what happens because they want to know how ASUS will handle this customer service incident.
  3. I'm not sure if English is your native language, but its unclear whether your supervisor is saying it should be covered or shouldn't be covered by warranty.
  4. Your last statement is also unclear as to what you are saying. It could be taken two ways- either "Contact me if you want to move forward. Even if you just need to vent and get some information for the community that nothing is resolved yet, I am still just a private message and email away." or it could be taken as "Contact me if you want to move forward. Or you can just vent and keep replying to the community and nothing will get resolved. I am just a private message and email away." You should probably go with the first one, but that's just my opinion. :D
However this works out this has been an eye opening experience about ASUS. So many times I have almost bought one of your MOBOs or cards and then saw one of these type of threads when researching it. I don't know all the facts about this story, and I doubt anyone posting here does. But I do know there are several other vendors that have replaced similarly burned cards in the past. I think I will continue to give ASUS a pass despite how good some of their products look.

Thumbs up to you! thats exactly what I thought when i read it.

Hello derpentine,

You have my email wrong. suppose to be rey not ery. Also, I didn't hear back from you when I request you to provide me your rma or serial number so I can look more into your case. Still waiting for a private message or for you to email me. It's cl-jeffrey not fery.

Our conversation doesn't need to be public, only the outcome that I provide you.

Just wanted to give you the heads up that I did show my supervisor and he said that this is not a CID case that this should be repaired in warranty.

Regards,
Jeffrey

A few things.......

First, it is kind of you to finally reply with something.

Second.....you could have just as easily sent a PM to derpentine......what's this stuff about making "it" private when you've just gone ahead and made it "public". You seem to be replying to "us", rather than resolving anything, dont you think?

Lastly......why oh why has it taken this long for SOMEONE in your company.....ie your supervisor......to recognize an obvious device failure ? and please, give this guy A NEW CARD.....I would flatly refuse you trying to fix this fried up GPU......

this whole thing is a bag of fail

Yikes...

I thought my RMA process with Asus was a fail, but at least (after 3 months) they replaced my router (with another faulty one that I sent back and is currently in process). But this is just ridiculous.

Just crossed Asus off of my "preferred brands" list.

A few things.......

First, it is kind of you to finally reply with something.

Second.....you could have just as easily sent a PM to derpentine......what's this stuff about making "it" private when you've just gone ahead and made it "public". You seem to be replying to "us", rather than resolving anything, dont you think?

Lastly......why oh why has it taken this long for SOMEONE in your company.....ie your supervisor......to recognize an obvious device failure ? and please, give this guy A NEW CARD.....I would flatly refuse you trying to fix this fried up GPU......

this whole thing is a bag of fail

not just a new card he should get a NEW TOP OF THE LINE card and over night that bitch to him
if you want to win back any trust in the community

Wow....No more Asus purchases from me.......And what a useless rep....your a discrace:mad:

Hello derpentine,

Regards,
Jeffrey

Wow, this guy is a douche and a half. The OP has had pretty level-headed attitude towards this whole situation and the treatment he's received. What kind of customer support is that :confused::confused::confused:

I like to think that people who work in Customer Service need PEOPLE SKILLS.

Bought my first ASUS product in 6 years and now I am witness to this catastrophe Asus calls customer service.

What's up with all the bandwagoning talk nonsense?

Most replies have remained level-headed and are coming from past and current customers that seem to find it regrettable that ASUS offers such good products but apparently mediocre customer support. And many here have experience this first hand. What do you think would have happened if the OP did not share his issues on a forum like this one? It would more than likely gotten him nowhere fast (as shown by the RMA rejection).

ASUS is making a nice gesture by allowing their representatives to help users on hardware forums which makes it even more mindbogglingly moronic not to go the extra mile and offer a painless RMA process. Do you really think that such an issue would have been handled that poorly by say Corsair, EVGA or any other companies that are known to go above and beyond the usual "just blame the customer"?

I don't see anything wrong with people saying they will refrain from buying ASUS product until they are certain that they have improved their customer support practices.

Last edited:
Hello derpentine,

Regards,
Jeffrey

Typical "save face" response. You could have just as easily told him this in a PM that YOU initiate.

I really wanted to go on a rant about companies and how their "cost cutting" measures have, in my eyes, gimped customer service to the sad state we see today. But I won't bore you all with that.

This whole ordeal really comes down to:
Derp sending his card in for an RMA, then Asus denying it.

The question I wonder is: Why did the first techs who inspected the card deny it?

It seemed that most people on this forum were able to diagnose that it was defect with the card that caused the issue. And even if if the fire wasn't caused by the defect, the tech couldn't prove for certain that it was caused by the customer. I think you should give the customer the benefit of the doubt and just replace the card. This whole ordeal has really been dragged out too far.

This does make me wonder what will happen if I ever do have a problem and have to deal with their RMA service. I've not swore off Asus completely, but for the fear of having to go through what the op has, I will be swayed more heavy to other manufacturers who seem to have a better standing with the community.

I really wanted to go on a rant about companies and how their "cost cutting" measures have, in my eyes, gimped customer service to the sad state we see today. But I won't bore you all with that.

This whole ordeal really comes down to:
Derp sending his card in for an RMA, then Asus denying it.

The question I wonder is: Why did the first techs who inspected the card deny it?

It seemed that most people on this forum were able to diagnose that it was defect with the card that caused the issue. And even if if the fire wasn't caused by the defect, the tech couldn't prove for certain that it was caused by the customer. I think you should give the customer the benefit of the doubt and just replace the card. This whole ordeal has really been dragged out too far.

This does make me wonder what will happen if I ever do have a problem and have to deal with their RMA service. I've not swore off Asus completely, but for the fear of having to go through what the op has, I will be swayed more heavy to other manufacturers who seem to have a better standing with the community.

The reason, in my opinion, that the card was rejected is pretty clear......

First, there's a good Consumerist article link here somewhere that pretty much says it all.
The goal in the RMA department (at least ASUS) is to run through as many complaints a day as possible and blame as many as you can on "customer-induced-physical-damage".

This serves two purposes.....the RMA division gets to charge the company for "warranty service".......and then reject any repair or replacement, costing them nothing.....win-win.

Secondly, you hope once rejected, the poor customer goes away and doesn't pursue his or her case any further. I suppose this happens quite a bit.

This is disturbing on so many fronts

I've posted a lot in this thread, and I've spread the news to other like situations......basically to keep this alive until we see a resolution and so that other members here can read about this shit treatment derpentine is getting.

Raja and J-e-f-f-r-e-y not e-r-y, should be ashamed..........."how can I not help you today?"

has any one emailed this thread to Kyle yet?
i think the OP should

The reason, in my opinion, that the card was rejected is pretty clear......

First, there's a good Consumerist article link here somewhere that pretty much says it all.
The goal in the RMA department (at least ASUS) is to run through as many complaints a day as possible and blame as many as you can on "customer-induced-physical-damage".

This serves two purposes.....the RMA division gets to charge the company for "warranty service".......and then reject any repair or replacement, costing them nothing.....win-win.

Secondly, you hope once rejected, the poor customer goes away and doesn't pursue his or her case any further. I suppose this happens quite a bit.

This is disturbing on so many fronts

I've posted a lot in this thread, and I've spread the news to other like situations......basically to keep this alive until we see a resolution and so that other members here can read about this shit treatment derpentine is getting.

Raja and J-e-f-f-r-e-y not e-r-y, should be ashamed..........."how can I not help you today?"

That's the exact reason I thought the card was rejected for. I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't fight over it, and just accept being screwed.
In the end it comes down to what saves a buck for Asus and makes their profit margins higher. Sadly that's how most businesses are ran this day in age. Which you can't please everyone, but it will always be, customer satisfaction comes in last when racing the almighty dollar.

That's good cause the 'Egg sells insurance in the form of extended warranties for video cards for like $29.
Thats an extra $29, hardly a desirable service.
Does it include insurance for the rest of your PC, your house and family too?

You guys are too funny. Very entertaining too. Please don't stop!

Don't like it because others do not share your enthusiasm about ASUS customer support? ;)

Seriously, you do realize that some people factor-in customer support when making a purchase decision (some more than others), and that while thread like this are anecdotal and might not represent the majority of experience with a particular company (Although when there are a lot of them it might at least indicate that there could actually be an issue. And looking at their rating on BBB (F plus a specific alert about products sent to the company for repairs) it sure look like there is) they can be helpful to future buyers?

Last edited:
Don't like it because others do not share your enthusiasm about ASUS customer support? ;)

Seriously, you do realize that some people factor-in customer support when making a purchase decision (some more than others), and that while thread like this are anecdotal and might not represent the majority of experience with a particular company (although when there are a lot of them it might at least indicate that there could actually be an issue) they can be helpful to future buyers?

There's little to be enthusiastic about Asus's customer support, but people are blowing this way out of the water.

I don't know what OP initially said to Asus support (And I don't feel like reviewing the whole thread of if he posted his original dialog) to support, but there seems to be line of miscommunication. I can't tell if OP is more willing to voice his opinion more on this thread or to Asus.

Hello derpentine,

Regards,
Jeffrey

Hello Jeffrey,

I didn't mean for a lack of communication. I did PM you with my RMA# on the 10th through your profile though so I'm not sure how it would have gotten the name wrong. I have PMed you again with the RMA#. Also, feel free to PM me, it's not that hard to misspell my forum handle. Also, I'd love to contact you via email but I don't know what your email address is. Is it simply [email protected]? If it is I've sent you an email as well.

Also some [H] users need to school me on PMs. There's nothing saved in my sent folder, does that mean it didn't send? I've PMed others with no problems.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello Jeffrey,

Also some [H] users need to school me on PMs. There's nothing saved in my sent folder, does that mean it didn't send? I've PMed others with no problems.

Thanks.

In Messaging & Notification (in Your Profile under Settings & Options -> Edit Options), you need to check "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default". If not checked the messages are sent, just not saved.

Last edited:
In Messaging & Notification (in Your Profile under Settings & Options -> Edit Options), you need to check "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default". If not checked the messages are sent, just not saved.

BRILLIANT! Thanks mate.

Jeffrey, I'll send you the PM again now that I have record of sending it. Probably the 3rd time now but you can never be too sure. I seriously wish to get this resolved.

<snip> and they can't be replacing everything willy-nilly. <snip>

IMG_0171-Copy_zpsb867cbc7.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:

Well, clearly the product is at fault, right? They must all be bad. I wonder why we haven't seen others like this? You'd think houses would be burning down all over the world!

Well, clearly the product is at fault, right? They must all be bad. I wonder why we haven't seen others like this? You'd think houses would be burning down all over the world!
Problems that can cause a fire will cause many fires.
A problem that has caused one fire should be disregarded.
Or did you mean something else?

Interesting point of view.
Can you state your interest/relationship with Asus?

Back