ASUS 4X BD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive for $50 .FS.

they talked about this on the SD thread but there is no indication it comes with bluray playback software. So that is something else you will need to get.

A BD-ROM drive for $25 more than a DVD-RW? That is a HOT deal!

(But not hot enough for me to pass up digital distribution) ;)

who the hell cares what it plays.. that damn thing is all Black.. I am going to get one for asthetics alone for when I open my case..

Just keep in mind folks that this is purely a reader, no writing capabilities at all, at least from the specs page from Asus. So don't think you can simply replace a DVD burner with this and have it all. Still doesn't seem bad if you need a drive for reading Blu-Ray.

Just keep in mind folks that this is purely a reader, no writing capabilities at all, at least from the specs page from Asus. So don't think you can simply replace a DVD burner with this and have it all. Still doesn't seem bad if you need a drive for reading Blu-Ray.

This essentially makes it useless for normal computer usage unless you are just in a HTPC environment (and even then...still pretty useless).

This essentially makes it useless for normal computer usage unless you are just in a HTPC environment (and even then...still pretty useless).

I don't know about you but I haven't burned a DVD for myself in almost a year and that was on my laptop for win7. Hell, neither of my towers even have their optical drives installed right now because I just don't use them enough to bother with it.

I don't know about you but I haven't burned a DVD for myself in almost a year and that was on my laptop for win7. Hell, neither of my towers even have their optical drives installed right now because I just don't use them enough to bother with it.

I go through a 100 pack of DVD's every 3 months :p. Maybe I'm the one with the problem :).

It's a good drive for anyone running a read only drive and a burn only drive in a machine for copying on the fly.

I'd love to snag one but trying to get the money together to get a MB/Ram to get the main PC back up and going. Then again, this is only $50.......I may bite.

would of bit if i had known sooner. I just ordered an asus combo drive from the egg. Sort of what i was looking for... simple blu ray playback with dvd burning. owell looks like i'll have to stick with viewing blu ray on my ps3... nothing wrong with that.

This drive doesn't burn DVD's though right? Just simple read only for multiple formats.

might of read the thing wrong.. i thought it was a blu ray reader/dvd burner.. am i wrong?

I visit a high end computer shop in Kansas City time to time. Open to the public but they don't advertise and it's a rear entrance.

Last few times I've gone in there, all their high end computers for sale have integrated slim-line dvd burners with off and on power buttons built right into 5 1/4 cover. Pretty damn cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if more and more people stop using dvd burners and instead opting for blu-ray player / dvd burner combo drives that are external and can be turned on only when needed.

My dvd burner is the less used component in my PC build.

I see more and more custom pc builds going to external drives only

Back