Asus 4890 3 red lights = I'm SOL?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys i was about to start playing a game and all of a sudden my monitor shows no signal and nothing happens. When i looked into my case i noticed that some red lights were on on the back of my 4890. Red lights are (left to right) on, off, on , on.

Specs are in my sig and the pc has been working flawlessly for the last 6 months and now this happens. Also The card has been running at stock speeds for the last 4 months because i never saw the need to keep the card at the clocks in my sig

What I've tried:

Switched card from top pci-e slot to bottom.
Switched out the 6 pin plugs. Also tried running one 6 pin pci-e connecter and then one 2 molex to 6 pin adapter to no avail.

Any ideas and/or suggestions as to what could be going on?

Thanks,
SaViOr

I had no signal and the red lights turn on with my 4850. After lots of troubleshooting it turned out to be my PSU. Not sure if that's your problem but you may want to try a different PSU if you have one.

I had no signal and the red lights turn on with my 4850. After lots of troubleshooting it turned out to be my PSU. After a new one I have not had any trouble with it. Not sure if that's your problem but you may want to try a different PSU if you have one.

Well when i turn on the pc i hear the gpu start up. all the fans, hdd, drives all come on as well. not sure if it could still be my psu though? whenever i checked the rails they were all well within safe limits.

Unfortunately i dont have a spare gfx card to test out though =/

IIRC all the fans and everything started up with mine too. That's why at first I didn't think it was my PSU. How old is that Powerstream?

I found that thread when i did a google search for 4890 red lights, but my system has been running fine until tonight. I did, however, go back and check the standoffs and they all look to be in check. Really clueless at this point :confused: . PSU has shown no signs of losing power and/or failing.

Powerstream is less than 9 months old. bought it from an [H] member in the summer and it had light use for those 2-3 months before i got it.

-SaViOr

Try clearing the CMOS. If my computer had a crash because of a messed up driver, I would have to clear it before I could boot up again.

my 4870 did that a while back, Do you have heatsinks on the ram?

Ram on the 4890 or System ram? 4890 ram doesnt have heatsinks IIRC, but all 4 sticks of system memory have heatsinks. How did you fix the issue with your 4870?

Try clearing the CMOS. If my computer had a crash because of a messed up driver, I would have to clear it before I could boot up again.

Just tried to clear the CMOS and red lights are still on and no signal on the monitor

Thanks,
SaViOr

Have a similar problem with my Asus 4870, see here - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1453135

Try the 9.6 drivers just for shits and giggles, see if it still happens.

In the process of a 3rd RMA, as they kept sending it back saying nothing was wrong, trying to do a cross shipment when they get some of the same models back in stock, that way the problem doesn't have to be verified first. I think they have shitty testing there, probably put the card in a system, run a game or benchmark for a few minutes, if it runs, assume card is good.

My system is not the problem, been using my old 8800GT for a while now without single issue.

try reseating card in pcx slot and power connectors my 4890 did same thing and one of the connectors was loose

Trying differenet drivers is not really an option as i get no signal going from 4890 to the monitor and cant get into windows at all.

Have tried reseating the card several times in the top pci-e 16 slot as well as the bottom pci-e slot and still have those nasty 3 red lights on the back =/

Any more suggestions guys? Thanks to all who have offered advice, really appreciate it.

-SaViOr

Do you guys think that the culprit is more likely to be the psu or the 4890 itself?
I was thinking about stopping by best buy (shrugs) later on to pick up one or the other to test out to try and rule out some components out of the equation.
Figured id give this a shot so i can just return either one if thats not the cause of the problem lol

I was leaning more towards getting another psu to test out since the card itself never showed any signs of being faulty
-SaViOr

Try disconnecting as many things as possible from the PSU (disconnect dvd drive, secondary hard drives, case fans, etc). I had a similar problem with my 4890 still powering up, but suddenly not outputing any signal. An old CD drive and the PSU had apparently stopped playing nice, and the 4890 ended up not getting enough power as a result.

Once the 4890 worked without the CD drive screwing with the PSU... problem solved. CD drive in the trash.

Also, I ended up getting a better power supply from BestBuy, to be one the safe side. They have the Corsair TX850W on sale for $120 in store.

I have two 4870's, and thought I'd share.

The fan just died on my first one, so I put the second one in(which I just got back from RMA for a dead fan). It doesn't work and I get the same thing you talked about with the 3 red lights.

It worked fine up untill the dead fan. So being that my comp worked 5 minutes before with the exact same type of card. . . .

Just mailed tech for RMA for both cards.

Do you guys think that the culprit is more likely to be the psu or the 4890 itself?
I was thinking about stopping by best buy (shrugs) later on to pick up one or the other to test out to try and rule out some components out of the equation.
Figured id give this a shot so i can just return either one if thats not the cause of the problem lol

I was leaning more towards getting another psu to test out since the card itself never showed any signs of being faulty
-SaViOr

First, stop saying -SaViOr after every post, you already have one sig, you don't need two.

(25) You are allowed one signature per post. A signature section is supplied for that usage. No one wants to see your name on your posts multiple times as it is annoying.

Second. I would lean towards the power supply being dead.

disconnect everything from your system except the the gpu. unplug all hdd's, rom drives and fans. see what happens.

disconnect everything from your system except the the gpu. unplug all hdd's, rom drives and fans. see what happens.

won't do much. I think that power supply has a split rail. Would need someone like Danny Bui or Zero82z to confirm though.

Apologies for the double sig posts, i just got into the habit of doing it on my squad forums :p.

The psu seems to have been at fault. I replaced the psu and red lights went away, but the issue im having now is that my screen is black with a flashing little white line in the top left corner. Any ideas guys?

Nvm.. googled it and came up with black screen of death. Hmm now to mess with this crap

Last edited:
Apologies for the double sig posts, i just got into the habit of doing it on my squad forums :p.

The psu seems to have been at fault. I replaced the psu and red lights went away, but the issue im having now is that my screen is black with a flashing little white line in the top left corner. Any ideas guys?

Nvm.. googled it and came up with black screen of death. Hmm now to mess with this crap

I get that black screen with the flashing white line everytime I cold boot. I found that just letting it sit there for 45 seconds, it would then boot as normal. And, every time i reboot without powering down, it acts like normal.

I get that black screen with the flashing white line everytime I cold boot. I found that just letting it sit there for 45 seconds, it would then boot as normal. And, every time i reboot without powering down, it acts like normal.

I let the pc sit there for a couple minutes to no avail. i'll give pc some time to relax and try to boot again.

happened to me, magically worked the next night.
although i checked to make sure everything was plugged in including that 4 pin from the PSU to the mobo.

Well after 5 hours of messing with the pc I just want to drop it off the side of a cliff.

I took everything apart and reassembled it again and still come to that nasty black screen with blinking cursor. I am unable to access my bios or even change my boot order.
It seems as if the keyboard has been rendered useless, none of the lights (NUM LOCK, CAPS LOCK, etc) come on when i hit them. I tried this with a usb keyboard and then a normal (purple ps/2) connection keyboard and nothing. :confused:

Black screen with blinking cursor seems to me like you now have a BIOS/boot issue...try resetting the CMOS again and maybe take out the CMOS battery and leave it out for a few hours.

Black screen with blinking cursor seems to me like you now have a BIOS/boot issue...try resetting the CMOS again and maybe take out the CMOS battery and leave it out for a few hours.

When i cleared the CMOS and was finally able to boot last night, the very first thing that popped up was something about it being unable to load the old bios configs and prompted for me to use default or load safe settings. I was unable to select either one because of my keyboard issue. After this is when the KSOD started to appear.

Back