ASUS 4870 1gb deactivated on Newegg. Looking for other suggestions.

fiewtoid

Weaksauce
So I couple of weeks ago I asked help building a pc for around $800. I got a lot of help from [H] members and it looked great I was stocked!! I have to wait for my tax return to come in and it should be in this week!!! Well I went back today and found out that the combo for the motherboard and cpu was over the case jumped $30. This was kind of upsetting but not bad. Then I find out the videocard I wanted was deactivated. All of the other cards are a little pricey but I have decided to say screw it and stick with the 4870 1gb card. So what is a good and reliable card? XFX?

You're talking about the Dark Knight one, right?
Was surprised to see it go, too. It had some pretty good reviews (mostly about the cooler).

I'd avoid the HIS (including ICEQ4) since the other cards (with the four heatpipe coolers) have shown to be better.

You're talking about the Dark Knight one, right?
Was surprised to see it go, too. It had some pretty good reviews (mostly about the cooler).

I'd avoid the HIS (including ICEQ4) since the other cards (with the four heatpipe coolers) have shown to be better.

Can you tell me which ones have the 4 heatpipes? I'm looking to get a 4870 1Gb as well, currently looking at the Sapphire Toxic but I'd be interested to know if there are cooler running versions out there. Thanks!

Can you tell me which ones have the 4 heatpipes? I'm looking to get a 4870 1Gb as well, currently looking at the Sapphire Toxic but I'd be interested to know if there are cooler running versions out there. Thanks!
The best stock cooler at the moment is this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127397
The heatsink design is nearly identical to the ASUS DK.

The next best being this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102815
It might be better than the MSI (Vapor-X and all that) but it only came out 2 or 3 weeks ago, so I don't know much about it...

I'd say the ASUS Dark Knight is better than all of them, but it's cancelled now, so...
Anyhow, the coolers are all pretty close, so it comes down to brand preference and warranties.

If I were buying a 4870 1 GB right now I'd probably get that new Toxic edition.
But that's only because I've had a good experience with all of my Sapphires so far (Though I've never had to use their RMA service), and the Toxic one looks like it has a better cooler than the other 4870's.

those models dont cool the ram, just a fan blowing on em, no sink =(

Coming from someone who owns the MSI....get the HIS with the ramsinks. The GPU cooling itself, will be competitive, within a few degrees C....check this out though on the MSI

FH.jpg

See that 90C temp? That's what happens when you don't have any cooling on the memory, other than the GPU fan. I would venture to guess the HIS has no such issues.I would also guess that the price premium for a Toxic/ICEQ 4 version, wouldn't be worth it.

Back