Asus 39 inch 3840x2160 60Hz panel.

They appear to be using very high levels of AA (SSAA in Sleeping Dogs should cut the performance by half or more). This is supported by the good performance of the Titan VS the 690, since the Titan doesn't need to share its 6GB of memory between 2 chips.

I'm still miffed that Nvidia didn't allow for GTX690's to ship with 4GB/GPU - 8GB/Total. That's such blatant artificial product segmentation; it's like they didn't want you using it for resolutions greater than 1600p/1080p surround, period, even though a pair would really be very economical for an effective 4k setup; probably easier to plan around two GTX690's than it is to plan around three Titans.

It has nothing to do with Germany and everything to do with massive state subsidies allowing Chinese companies to dump panels below cost and destroy the solar industry in other countries. Which is why both the US and the EU have imposed anti-dumping tariffs on them.

Lol@ evening news experts

so... when am i going to see korean ones for <=$1k?

I would guess within a year. The 39" panel that Seiki and Asus are using is clearly cheap. So i would imagine one of the Korean brands will strap cheap electronics to it (probably one DP) and sell it.

But I mean, how much cheaper than the $700 Seiki do you expect it to get?

3840x2160 is not that bad of a resolution That equals 8.29m pixels.
Most top video cards these days can already handle5760x1200, though that's only 6.9m pixels.
I guess it would be more akin to 2560x1600 x 2 (8.2m pixels). Which is about 2/3rds of a 30" Eyefinity setup.
I'm thinking that Maxwell should be able to meet 4k demands just about the time the new HDMI and Displayport standards catch up.

Well this is the monitor I want, but at $3,500 it's kinda massively overpriced.
http://www.maximumpc.com/awordfromo...h_definition_monitor_available_pre-order_3500

Hopefully it will drop to more around 1K in a couple of years.

Last edited:
3840x2160 is not that bad of a resolution That equals 8.29m pixels.
Most top video cards these days can already handle5760x1200, though that's only 6.9m pixels.
I guess it would be more akin to 2560x1600 x 2. Which is about 2/3rds of a 30" Eyefinity setup.
I'm thinking that Maxwell should be able to meet 4k demands just about the time the new HDMI and Displayport standards catch up.

In a 3-Way SLI config yeah. Since all developers will target DX11 as minimum going into the new console generation we're going to see requirements go up. I think I will be sticking to 2560x1600 for awhile, don't think 4K will be feasible on most titles unless you are willing to go all out on your video card setup...

Look at how difficult Crysis 3 is to run at 4K right now and that should give as indication of what to expect over the next few years.

In a 3-Way SLI config yeah. Since all developers will target DX11 as minimum going into the new console generation we're going to see requirements go up. I think I will be sticking to 2560x1600 for awhile, don't think 4K will be feasible on most titles unless you are willing to go all out on your video card setup...

Look at how difficult Crysis 3 is to run at 4K right now and that should give as indication of what to expect over the next few years.

What about running the 4K panel at a lower res? (say 1080p or 1600p). What are the noticeable drawbacks to that? I know it won't look as good as native res, but will it look as good as 1600p on a 30"?

Reason I ask is I'm trying to decide between buying a 27"/30" now or the 39" Asus 4K (should be ~$1k) when it comes out... I don't plan on spending more than $450 on a GPU...ever...so I would be running games on the Asus at sub-4K resolutions...but I really would love the extra real estate of the 39".

I don't think DX11 is the issue- DX11 is faster than DX9. One of our problems has been crappy console ports trying to run graphics meant for DX9 on DX11 desktop hardware. They can get close without too much effort, but being built purely for DX11 will undoubtedly bring significant jumps in detail for a very small hit to performance, likely smaller than most of us are expecting.

What about running the 4K panel at a lower res? (say 1080p or 1600p). What are the noticeable drawbacks to that? I know it won't look as good as native res, but will it look as good as 1600p on a 30"?

Reason I ask is I'm trying to decide between buying a 27"/30" now or the 39" Asus 4K (should be ~$1k) when it comes out... I don't plan on spending more than $450 on a GPU...ever...so I would be running games on the Asus at sub-4K resolutions...but I really would love the extra real estate of the 39".

Then I would just go with the seiki as who knows when the asus one is coming out.

30hz is fine for video/desktop stuff really... For games you can still get 120hz at lower resolution. I have the 50 inch seiki in 1080p still looks pretty decent on it for gaming as 30hz just is not acceptable to me for gaming.

Then I would just go with the seiki as who knows when the asus one is coming out.

30hz is fine for video/desktop stuff really... For games you can still get 120hz at lower resolution. I have the 50 inch seiki in 1080p still looks pretty decent on it for gaming as 30hz just is not acceptable to me for gaming.

So it runs at 30Hz for 4k? Is it 120Hz at 1080p? And 60Hz at 1440p?

50" is too big for my desktop setup but the 39" seiki might do the trick. And is the only connector HDMI? (I suppose that's why it outputs 4k @30Hz...)

1080p is exactly half of 4k, so if you play at 1080p there is no scaling or lag added.

1080p is exactly half of 4k, so if you play at 1080p there is no scaling or lag added.

It's actually a 4th (1/2 both vertically and horizontally). Though it may still use the internal scaler which can add lag.

So it runs at 30Hz for 4k? Is it 120Hz at 1080p? And 60Hz at 1440p?

50" is too big for my desktop setup but the 39" seiki might do the trick. And is the only connector HDMI? (I suppose that's why it outputs 4k @30Hz...)

Yeah its only HDMI.

Yes it will do real 120Hz at 1080p with almost no input lag. Its actually very hnice for gaming.

The internal scaler doesn't seem to handle resolutions > 1920x1080 for me (it will do it but it looks seriously messed up) so I wouldn't expect to be able to run 1440p with good results. I generally either run it at 3840x2160 @30hz, 1920x1080 @120hz or 1280x720@240Hz. The only reason for 240Hz (as the panel only displays 120Hz) is it seemed to help ever so slightly on input lag due to the fact that its pushing more frames per second so less of a delay with the scaler.

Patience folks, patience. It looks like the groundwork is being laid.

It would be interesting to find out if a Quadro card can do 4K@60Hz on the Sharp.

It would be interesting to find out if a Quadro card can do 4K@60Hz on the Sharp.

If Nvidia is 'bringing back' mosaic support (not that I ever knew what it really was), you think we might also be able to do PLP setups?

I have a pair of 20" panels that would fit very nicely when positioned in portrait mode on the sides of my 30" HP. I'd be willing to go through the trouble of making that work if Nvidia would actually add support for such an obvious feature.

Everything that I have read about mosaic suggests it should be able to do it but I am not sure if anyone actually has done it.

I observed for the first time in person an LG 84" 4K screen at my local electronics/gadget store and was absolutely floored by the fidelity and acuity of these new screens. Seriously all the 1080P screens in the vicinity looked like absolute dog shit in comparison in terms of sharpness, vibrance and color reproduction.

So my only question now is why the fuck is it taking so long for desktop equivalents to be available given that PC enthusiasts have a much greater propensity to spend huge wads of cash on new tech!? The first manufacturer who puts out a 30" 4K 120hz glossy monitor with lightboost will get my cash.

Small market size, almost everyone owns a TV, tons of people are not updating their desktops anymore.

Would it be wise to be patient and wait to see what the market offers in a year or two, or should I just pull the trigger on a nice 27" IPS now? I want a bigger resolution for my gaming entertainment (been running 1080p for years). I have not pulled the trigger on a bigger monitor yet because this is more of a want than a need and I just haven't taken the time to research what 1440p display to go for. I've been patient as hell but I really want to see what 1440p has to offer over 1080p. From what I see from all you [H] enthusiasts, once you go over 1080p there's no going back.

I was planning on getting a 27" this year, but now i'm seeing the news on the 4k displays and am now thinking it would be wise to wait. From what I'm seeing, running a 4k monitor at 1440p would actually look better and perform better than a native 1440p display.

Thanks for the input in advance! You guys kick ass.

Interesting. I was just going off of this Anand article.

I currently have a 2gb GTX670 which i don't think will be enough for 4K@60Hz for any modern game really...though I play Age of Empires 2 quite often still :D

As an FYI, running Heaven on (2) 7970s in crossfire at default extremehd res and settings, I was scoring around 3426

At 3840*2160 with 2xaa and High settings, I was getting 1611

Going to Full 8xAA and extreme settings just wasn't feasible at 3840x2160 with the 7970s because they were hitting the limits of the frame buffer and the bench slowed to a crawl.

With two Titans, running at the same 3840x2160 2xAA High settings I got 2384 (57fps)

I've posted the screenshots of my bench results over on overclock.net and the ocforums (and maybe even here) if anyone wants to see them. It's not like they're special or anything.

To me, benching is a completely different animal than gaming so I worry less about the bench scores and more about how much (or how little, in a worst case scenario) I enjoy the gaming experience.

Playing Path of Exile on my Seiki (with either the Radeons or the Titans) has been great. Neverwinter, also great. Skyrim, great as well. No complaints at all, actually, even with the 30Hz limit.(srsly) I just disable VSYNC and there's no lag. I'm sure tearing is there somewhere, I just don't notice it...

Small market size, almost everyone owns a TV, tons of people are not updating their desktops anymore.

Baloney, almost every working professional (Engineers, attorneys, advertisers, programmers, architects, stock brokers, etc, etc, that uses a computer for a living would like more real estate, and the enthusiast market is also huge.

The market now for 4k screens is FAR larger than the 2002 market for 1600p screens

I would like to add that even in 2006 quad sli wasn't up to the task @ 1600p:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia,1250-18.html
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/05/02/nvidia_geforce_8800_ultra_sli/3#.UdRjEvl9DSg

We have better graphics now to handle 4K than we had back in 2002-2006 to handle 1600p. 4k is coming, faster and cheaper than most of us have expected.

People said there wasn't a market for USD1000 graphics cards. When the first cool and efficient with good compute capabilities USD1000 VGA hit the market, NVIDIA could not handle the demand.

The first 4k monitor with displayport below USD1750 will be a landslide.

Asus price is simple math: whoever wants to game at 4k has at least USD3500 available for the gaming PC, so another USD3500 for a 4k display is only natural.

I would like to add that even in 2006 quad sli wasn't up to the task @ 1600p:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia,1250-18.html
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/05/02/nvidia_geforce_8800_ultra_sli/3#.UdRjEvl9DSg

We have better graphics now to handle 4K than we had back in 2002-2006 to handle 1600p. 4k is coming, faster and cheaper than most of us have expected.

People said there wasn't a market for USD1000 graphics cards. When the first cool and efficient with good compute capabilities USD1000 VGA hit the market, NVIDIA could not handle the demand.

The first 4k monitor with displayport below USD1750 will be a landslide.

Asus price is simple math: whoever wants to game at 4k has at least USD3500 available for the gaming PC, so another USD3500 for a 4k display is only natural.

Asus may be thinking that's a great strategy, but it may end up hurting them.

No one forsaw the release of a 3840x2160 TV for <$1300 this early and I bet the same thing happens with a 60Hz version. Even if it takes 2 HDMI cables to make it happen. That's probably more likely than seeing one using a DP connector.

Some Chinese panel maker will release a 60Hz 4k2k TV before Christmas of this year...

Asus may be thinking that's a great strategy, but it may end up hurting them.

No one forsaw the release of a 3840x2160 TV for <$1300 this early and I bet the same thing happens with a 60Hz version. Even if it takes 2 HDMI cables to make it happen. That's probably more likely than seeing one using a DP connector.

Some Chinese panel maker will release a 60Hz 4k2k TV before Christmas of this year...

quite possible
Please let the firmware be compatible with my tv :cool:

Would it be wise to be patient and wait to see what the market offers in a year or two, or should I just pull the trigger on a nice 27" IPS now? I want a bigger resolution for my gaming entertainment (been running 1080p for years). I have not pulled the trigger on a bigger monitor yet because this is more of a want than a need and I just haven't taken the time to research what 1440p display to go for. I've been patient as hell but I really want to see what 1440p has to offer over 1080p. From what I see from all you [H] enthusiasts, once you go over 1080p there's no going back.

I was planning on getting a 27" this year, but now i'm seeing the news on the 4k displays and am now thinking it would be wise to wait. From what I'm seeing, running a 4k monitor at 1440p would actually look better and perform better than a native 1440p display.

Thanks for the input in advance! You guys kick ass.

This is EXACTLY where I am, word for word.

I am drooling over the Asus 4k monitor. Will def get a 4k monitor in the year ahead when they drop in price when the market starts to get more of them.

I want it for 1440p. Hope the price is ~700

It will likely be more than that. The Seiki TV is that much. Add to it brand name, and circuit board for 60Hz and DP, and it'll probably be closer to $1000. I hope it's not $1500 though it could be....

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just ordered this to play around with until the Asus version arrives (hopefully with dual timing controllers for MST 60 Hz via DP).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOPGO2G/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Since it uses the same panel but stuck at 30 Hz, will still be interesting to see what games are like on it. Not to mention Amazons awesome return policy. ;)

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. Please let me know how your experiences with it turn out -- particularly, I'm interested in movies at 4K. I plan to mainly game at 1080p@120Hz (b/c of my gpu, GTX670) but I would like to know if you notice any issues watching movies at 4k@30Hz. I'm also really picky about light bleed, so a comment on that would be much appreciated as well.

By the way, what is the policy for return shipping on Amazon for TVs? I've only returned small items to amazon and the return shipping was never >$5 (defective items were free). Do you how much it would cost to send back the TV if it's not defective? I can't imagine it would be cheap...

Interesting. I had pre-ordered that through Sears but it doesn't ship till August. Looks like I'm gonna cancel that and order through Amazon.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. Please let me know how your experiences with it turn out -- particularly, I'm interested in movies at 4K. I plan to mainly game at 1080p@120Hz (b/c of my gpu, GTX670) but I would like to know if you notice any issues watching movies at 4k@30Hz. I'm also really picky about light bleed, so a comment on that would be much appreciated as well.

By the way, what is the policy for return shipping on Amazon for TVs? I've only returned small items to amazon and the return shipping was never >$5 (defective items were free). Do you how much it would cost to send back the TV if it's not defective? I can't imagine it would be cheap...

Ya, I will do a whole slew of tests. Everything from back light bleed to how well I can overclock the monitor. Reports are that it can do 40+ Hz at 4K via HDMI. May be decent for movies but of course you are going to want the 60 Hz Asus version for computer use. I've always returned things to Amazon with zero return fee. I'd expect this to be the same considering Amazon doesn't list any "exceptions" that I can find.

Ya, I will do a whole slew of tests. Everything from back light bleed to how well I can overclock the monitor. Reports are that it can do 40+ Hz at 4K via HDMI. May be decent for movies but of course you are going to want the 60 Hz Asus version for computer use. I've always returned things to Amazon with zero return fee. I'd expect this to be the same considering Amazon doesn't list any "exceptions" that I can find.

where have you heard reports of it overclocking to 38-40hz? I know marteen got that china tv with the same panel to do 38-40hz but i havent heard of the seiki 50-40" doing the same.

the 50 inch seiki can't do it. Its internal scaler activates at anything > 31 Hz and basically appears to not support anything > 1920x1080 so its like 3840x2160 gets interpolated to 1920x1200 and then back to 3840x2160 and looks like crap.

Also no go for 1440p on this monitor either if your actually giving it the signal as the scaler doesn't handle it right and it looks like crap. Atleast with the newer firmware. Not sure if the original one was any different.

Anxious to see your impressions.

3840 x 2160 Panel Resoluation
rmx-grammar_o_896269.jpg

I can't wait to see how it does in terms of controller for some reason I get the impression they do it somewhat half.

where have you heard reports of it overclocking to 38-40hz? I know marteen got that china tv with the same panel to do 38-40hz but i havent heard of the seiki 50-40" doing the same.

It will depend if the 39" version uses the same electronics as the Chinese 39" or the same electronics from the 50" Seiki. I guess we'll find out when it comes in. Of course the real monitor will be the 39" Asus with the DP 1.2 connection for MST 60 Hz.

Another curious thing is will the 60 Hz 39" Asus be "overclockable". I have a lot of experience overclocking stream based connections like DVI and HDMI, but not much with packet based DP. Anyone overclock DP connections before?

so whats the story here, 32 inch 4k res out this week and the 39 inch 4k out next year? but whats this talk about the 39" costing lower? the higher you go with res and size sacrifices are made in terms of color contrast luminance pixel size, whats the rumor "TODAY" about what the 39" inch would be going for

Back