Asus 290x Reference card @ Egg $519 shipped

About time the "new" AMD cards are priced good. I just really wish the R9 series had some quality blower coolers

Finally the space heater (read: reference) cooler versions are coming back to reality with pricing. :)

Yeah these cards run hot. You need to put a watercooler on it. Mine is underwater and it gets pretty warm.

mantle, trueaudio, faster, 3 displays 1 card and 4k gaming
I guess it's up to the individual but I'd still prefer the 780 reference because the 290x sounds like a hair dryer.

I thought the 780 can do 3 displays and 4K as well?

TBH, Reference 290X only sounds like a hair dryer at 70% +

You'll never hear the hair dryer effect with stock settings, because CCC limits fan to normal decibels. Not sure if it's just because I have an open case, but I run two in CF and can't hear them over the rest of my setup unless I unlock fan speeds (which I do, but that's because IDGAF).

Unless you're like me and can't stand throttling (which is why I unlock fan speeds to 100% always), stock clocks and stock fan speeds (more quiet than 7970 IMO) should be fine for 2560x1600 and smaller resolutions.

TBH, Reference 290X only sounds like a hair dryer at 70% +

You'll never hear the hair dryer effect with stock settings, because CCC limits fan to normal decibels. Not sure if it's just because I have an open case, but I run two in CF and can't hear them over the rest of my setup unless I unlock fan speeds (which I do, but that's because IDGAF).

Unless you're like me and can't stand throttling (which is why I unlock fan speeds to 100% always), stock clocks and stock fan speeds (more quiet than 7970 IMO) should be fine for 2560x1600 and smaller resolutions.

I'm with you, at first I got a 290x because I was worried I wasn't going to have enough horsepower for a 27" 1440p monitor for gaming. Not only does it not break a sweat doing that but I have a separate 24" inch 1080 monitor now hooked up that I was watching the NHL games and watched a couple of TV shows afterwards. 5 straight hours of doing both and I didn't even notice the sound of the fan YMMV and I have a Sapphire reference 290x but I assume there is little difference here.

Back