Asus 24x Sata DVD Burner $18.99 shipped from Newegg

lol this makes no sense, he links a slightly worse dvd drive for slightly less? thats not more of a deal? Say stormside finds a deal on a dodge viper, and iron finds a deal for a corvette... not the same

685 reviews and holding a 5-egg vs 45 with a 4.
Newegg reviews, sure they don't mean much, but they also don't mean nothing.
I have the Asus drive, it's a good drive.

And your point is? Start your own thread ....
lol this makes no sense, he links a slightly worse dvd drive for slightly less? thats not more of a deal? Say stormside finds a deal on a dodge viper, and iron finds a deal for a corvette... not the same
What he did was perfectly normal, up until the recent past it was encouraged to post similar deals in related threads.

It happens all the time, you just haven't noticed, some of these threads turn into online flea markets of similar products.

What he did was perfectly normal, up until the recent past it was encouraged to post similar deals in related threads.

It happens all the time, you just haven't noticed, some of these threads turn into online flea markets of similar products.

I agree, why make a new thread when this one is about cheap dvd burners, maybe someone just wants the cheapest they can find.

I agree, why make a new thread when this one is about cheap dvd burners, maybe someone just wants the cheapest they can find.

Then that would go into hot deal discussions, maybe a running thread about cheap dvd burners. This is typically for a single item at a time with a little debate about possible options. I guess it was just weird he posted a link with nothing like a "how does this one compare?" type of comment.

it really doesnt matter if somebody posts something else. its a little slower and a little cheaper. its not like he was threadcrapping. "cheap dvd burner thread" would not go in discussion subforum, thats not for active deals. yeesh guys

Nice, I would get this (the Asus, faster in every DVD area for 2 bucks more, and more/better reviews) the only problem is I've been downloading or streaming everything lately. I've used my DVD drive twice this past month. :eek:)

At least I didn't bash your thread.

I ordered 3 of the LG Drives. They also had Samsung WriteMasters for 16.99 the other week too.

I haven't bought this particular model but the 2 ASUS optical drives I've bought in the last 3 or 4 years were significantly quieter than the 3 I bought from other makers. The loudest brand X drive seemed 2-4 times as loud as my ASUS drives; which is 10-20dB. I can listen to music, etc while ripping disks, etc on the asus drives. Some of the others were far too loud to do that with. Especially now that the price premium is only 2 or 3 bucks vs $10ish I strongly would recommend going for the quieter drive.

Then that would go into hot deal discussions, maybe a running thread about cheap dvd burners. This is typically for a single item at a time with a little debate about possible options. I guess it was just weird he posted a link with nothing like a "how does this one compare?" type of comment.
Regardless, it's encouraged in this specific sub-forum for live deals, and not just discussions. It's not considered "rude" either ;)

Screw it. I just picked one up. I've been meaning to replace my DVD drive that has has compatibility issues with two motherboards for a while now.

Regardless, it's encouraged in this specific sub-forum for live deals, and not just discussions. It's not considered "rude" either ;)

I completely agree.

Last edited:
ill have to order one of these tomorrow. i havnt had a dvd rom in years now. my old ide died out several years ago, with my new system only having one ide port that my HD uses, i havnt had an optical drive on this new system since i built it, 10 months ago.

Pretty sure these are rebadged Lite-On iHAS124's with Mediatek chipset, one of the few ways to reliably get one right now. Solid burners with accurate scanning capabilities. Good deal I'd say.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that even though they're sold out on Newegg, it's the same price at Amazon. You need to spend $25 if you want free shipping though, unless you have amazon prime of course.
Thanks... I'm in for 2 of these babys...THEY'RE HPs! w00t! :p

In all seriousness....It amazes me the prices of some of the hardware now-a-days. I can remember paying tons for simple things like optical drives and now...seems silly to NOT buy some of the stuff. I really wish the software sector could catch up.
It's not just software. What about recordable DVD media? I mean DVD drives have been capable of writing at 24X for a while and they're still only at 16X DVD+/-R

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's not just software. What about recordable DVD media? I mean DVD drives have been capable of writing at 24X for a while and they're still only at 16X DVD+/-R

Keeping the laser in focus and pulsing it rapidly enough while spinning is trivial; Your ultimate speed limit is actually the strength of the disk. CD drives topped out at a rotational speed of 52x (there were a few with faster read speeds but they also used multiple lasers to do it) because the few that were faster had problems with occasional low quality disks shattering, DVDs have a base speed 3x as high so a 24x DVD drive is spinning as fast as a CD would at 72x; I'm not sure if they simply specced better plastic for DVDs or if it's stronger because the media layer is internal instead of on the surface. Blueray's are another 2x faster; so barring improvements in materials they're already maxxed out at 12x.

The *-RW disk is another matter, it takes a finite amount of time to change the phase of the dye. To get a faster disk you need a new chemical for the dye. There's no guarantee that one exists or that it will ever be cheap enough for mass market use. CDRW's above 4x never got reasonably cheap until after the format became obsolete, I half suspect they're just selling off excess inventory at a loss now.

the deal OP posted is gone... so the second link is pretty awesome now, because its the deal that is still lasting..

Back