ASUS 1080TI (Turbo) Very low hashrate

Andrew_Carr

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, I was hoping you could help me figure this one out. I had a 1080TI ETH mining rig and every card is hashing at roughly the same 46-48MH/s rate with the ETH Enlargement pill turned on using t-rex miner in HiveOS. Except for the Asus 1080ti Turbo (blow fan type model) which is getting 30-31MH/s. All of my cards (HP, Zotac, Asus) are basically the same blower fan reference model type with the same memory (Micron GDDR5X · 86.02.39.40.55 · PL 125 W, 250 W, 300 W). Currently I have them all set to +150MHz core, 1600MHz memory, 70% fanspeed, and 230 W power limit. No matter what OC settings I change, the ASUS card stays with its low hashrate. It's like the ETH pill isn't being applied or something. I also thought maybe the memory is overheating, but I've repasted the GPU, redone the thermal pads, and it's the lowest temp card of mine at around 42-48C under load. I've tried flashing the BIOS as well but that hasn't fixed anything either. Any thoughts on what else to test? Previously I've had issues like this with older cards that needed a repaste, but I've repasted this one 2-3 times and it already brought the temps way down.

I played around with some more settings. Setting core to +50, 100 MHz memory overclock, and power limit to default gives me 40 MH/s. Setting the power limit to 65% is slightly less. Seems like the ASUS cards work totally differently than the rest, but at least it's not as awful as before.

Last edited:
I have an Asus 1080 ti that overclocks very strangely as well. I have to drop memory clock something like -505 to get its best hashrate.

I have an Asus 1080 ti that overclocks very strangely as well. I have to drop memory clock something like -505 to get its best hashrate.
Yeah, I searched around and found a few different people having the same issue, but only with ASUS cards.

Hey everyone, I was hoping you could help me figure this one out. I had a 1080TI ETH mining rig and every card is hashing at roughly the same 46-48MH/s rate with the ETH Enlargement pill turned on using t-rex miner in HiveOS. Except for the Asus 1080ti Turbo (blow fan type model) which is getting 30-31MH/s. All of my cards (HP, Zotac, Asus) are basically the same blower fan reference model type with the same memory (Micron GDDR5X · 86.02.39.40.55 · PL 125 W, 250 W, 300 W). Currently I have them all set to +150MHz core, 1600MHz memory, 70% fanspeed, and 230 W power limit. No matter what OC settings I change, the ASUS card stays with its low hashrate. It's like the ETH pill isn't being applied or something. I also thought maybe the memory is overheating, but I've repasted the GPU, redone the thermal pads, and it's the lowest temp card of mine at around 42-48C under load. I've tried flashing the BIOS as well but that hasn't fixed anything either. Any thoughts on what else to test? Previously I've had issues like this with older cards that needed a repaste, but I've repasted this one 2-3 times and it already brought the temps way down.

I played around with some more settings. Setting core to +50, 100 MHz memory overclock, and power limit to default gives me 40 MH/s. Setting the power limit to 65% is slightly less. Seems like the ASUS cards work totally differently than the rest, but at least it's not as awful as before.

i keep having a similar problem with my 1080ti where the pill seems to turn off. If I restart the PC and start mining it works fine. Sometimes for good measure I run another instance of the pill.

What I found is if I run some other application that wants to use the video card while it is mining, it drops like pill isn't there and never comes back unless I restart the computer. Nothing else fixes it. I'm not on an Asus card.

My card, mem speed doesn't change the hashrate at all. I've tried the -500 up to +750 and nothing. Change core, it moves. I think right now im at 80% power, +150 core and it averages maybe 46 under dagger hashimoto

I've got it hasing at about 43MH/s now finally. Settings are:
+200MHz on core clock
-505MHz on memory
70% fan speed
195W power limit

If I try to do any sort of memory overclocking it seems to ignore the power limits and only use like 130W or so. Definitely totally different from my other 1080TI cards. The power limit doesn't seem to really matter much, the memory is -505 instead of 1600, and the core clock is a little higher than on my other cards that are getting 47-48MH/s.

I'm running HiveOS so I don't think it has to do anything with other processes running.

Other TIs run at:
+180MHz core
1600 Memory (I think this would be 800MHz OC on windows)
70% fan speed
230W power limit

I've got it hasing at about 43MH/s now finally. Settings are:
+200MHz on core clock
-505MHz on memory
70% fan speed
195W power limit

If I try to do any sort of memory overclocking it seems to ignore the power limits and only use like 130W or so. Definitely totally different from my other 1080TI cards. The power limit doesn't seem to really matter much, the memory is -505 instead of 1600, and the core clock is a little higher than on my other cards that are getting 47-48MH/s.

I'm running HiveOS so I don't think it has to do anything with other processes running.

Other TIs run at:
+180MHz core
1600 Memory (I think this would be 800MHz OC on windows)
70% fan speed
230W power limit

i wonder now that see you write this because that is what happens to me. I wonder if the other program messes up the OC because it will max at 130w after the other program is closed. I'll have to try resetting the OC afterwards.

i wonder now that see you write this because that is what happens to me. I wonder if the other program messes up the OC because it will max at 130w after the other program is closed. I'll have to try resetting the OC afterwards.
Yeah, I would try more conservative overclocks to see if that's causing anything. You could also install hiveos or raveos on a thumb drive to rule out windows.

So I'm having an similar problem with a regular 1080. the thing mines as well as my 1060 in a laptop. Doesn't seem to like the pill either 50% of the time. Without pill it gets 20MH/s, with pill 30MH/s, shouldn't it be a bit closer to the 1080ti? If I mine for SOL it does just just as well as dagger with pill but MORE power. So its using 170ish watts to do the same work as a 1060 while my 1080ti uses 200 watts and mines double or more??

Could the rest of the computer cause this? It is running in a fairly ghetto PC.....and I mean old ghetto PC.

So I'm having an similar problem with a regular 1080. the thing mines as well as my 1060 in a laptop. Doesn't seem to like the pill either 50% of the time. Without pill it gets 20MH/s, with pill 30MH/s, shouldn't it be a bit closer to the 1080ti? If I mine for SOL it does just just as well as dagger with pill but MORE power. So its using 170ish watts to do the same work as a 1060 while my 1080ti uses 200 watts and mines double or more??

Could the rest of the computer cause this? It is running in a fairly ghetto PC.....and I mean old ghetto PC.

I get 36-37MH/s on my 1080s when I run them at a higher power limit, and 34-35MH/s if I try to be power-friendly. My 1080Tis (except for this ASUS card) get 45-49MH/s depending on power limits. They will thermal throttle based on memory temps though and I had one GTX 1080 that was hashing at around 32MH/s until I improved airflow. I'm not sure what would be a decent Zcash hashrate on a 1080 but it seems 550 Sol /s or so is decent.

I get 36-37MH/s on my 1080s when I run them at a higher power limit, and 34-35MH/s if I try to be power-friendly. My 1080Tis (except for this ASUS card) get 45-49MH/s depending on power limits. They will thermal throttle based on memory temps though and I had one GTX 1080 that was hashing at around 32MH/s until I improved airflow. I'm not sure what would be a decent Zcash hashrate on a 1080 but it seems 550 Sol /s or so is decent.

so 30 is ok. its on air cooling and not in a great case at the moment. Waiting to get a water block so I can just water cool it. Guess I'll see what happens with it then.

I think its doing like 66 SOL/s right now.

so 30 is ok. its on air cooling and not in a great case at the moment. Waiting to get a water block so I can just water cool it. Guess I'll see what happens with it then.

I think its doing like 66 SOL/s right now.

I dunno, 30 is a 20% drop from what it could be getting so I wouldn't be thrilled with that.

Back