cageymaru

Fully [H]
Arizona State University is trendsetter in education as they were the first to give Amazon Echo Dot devices to engineering students to create the first voice-enabled residential community and students at the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts have access to a three-dimensional visualization tool. Now the online Biology 181 course will feature virtual reality headsets to allow students to complete the lab requirement of the course. Students will be able to take blood samples from athletes to analyze the blood glucose levels, and demonstrate the Krebs Cycle in VR. The main attraction for the technology is that students taking the course online will have all the time that they need in the lab to complete it.

"Students will also be able to do some things in a virtual lab that wouldn't be possible in the physical world, like viewing and manipulating DNA at the molecular level," Hampson wrote in the post.

I wonder what the student debt to this school is like.

ok, spent a little time looking it over and man.. that would be an awesome app i would love to use with my vive.. but it seems it only works with their much lower end headset or one that uses your cell phone

but VR lab work would be a great.. addition.. to regular lab work.

hopefully they expand the software to include other VR setups.

Better than Portland state having 300 class spots and 100 labs spots and telling kids to wait a year :)

Good on them

During my college (biochemistry) time...

...we had to deal with blood, real human blood. Drawn from ourselves.
...we had to kill lab rats, had to extricate and process their livers and do experiments with enzimes extracted from them.
...we got our hands dirty (literally, sometimes with our own blood, sometimes with rat/mice blood)
...we had to improvise, since we hadn't the exact equipment (glassware mostly) required available at all times.
...we had to deal with failure in experiments, and had to understand why they failed. And then, redo everything from scratch (if time allowed).

And so on.

Kids have it easy nowadays...

(And no, I am NOT proud of having to use lab animals, but those were other times...)

That's pretty cool. I like these kind of use cases for VR.

Back