Astronomy Picture of the Day

After spending two winters in Iceland I completely understood why the Norse worshiped the gods they would see every night. We were lucky enough to work overnights and sometimes we would just stop and stare. The northern lights are a stunning occurrence that if seen during an increase in sun spot activity is a lifetime memory.

I suggest anyone who has not seen them with their own eyes to plan a high latitude winter vacation - definitely worth it.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

This is absolutely ridiculously awesome/beautiful/well done. I'm a professional photographer and I am very very jealous.

wish I could say the same... nothing but a big blank both from [H] and from the link.

wish I could say the same... nothing but a big blank both from [H] and from the link.

Script blocker? I couldn't see anything until I clicked the link and allowed vimeo.

Anyway, awesome. It blows my mind something that amazing exists here.

yeap. needed to go thru hoops to finally nail noscript as the problem. Still not sure what people see in a tree with aurora tho..

Now, witnessing that in person should be on everyone's bucket list.

NORWAY! :D :p

I have witnessed it quite alot, seriously didnt know how lucky i was until I started living abit in UK. so flat and booring landscape.
for those who live in mountainish landscapes, be happy you do!

The aurora is something abit fascinating, it just floats, and its so big!
seen it quite alot.

http://vimeo.com/13825989

Another video by the guy.

NORWAY! :D :p

I have witnessed it quite alot, seriously didnt know how lucky i was until I started living abit in UK. so flat and booring landscape.
for those who live in mountainish landscapes, be happy you do!

Since there is no edit video, canada is probably closest and most affordable, Norway is known to be expensive ( we got high saleries so we don't notice it like that).
But canada got very alike landscape in some parts, and I'm pretty sure they got aurora too, it's not that far away from most of you probably ;)

Managed to see a bit of the aurora while on duty in Alaska, was a low sunspot period, not nearly as breathtaking as the video, but still amazing. they hang like curtains of green fire, moving much slower than the video clip makes it seem. first time you see it, your legs just lock up, awe inspiring, even if it was -30 degrees F.

I live in SE WI and I've seen these many times, albeit it's only a few times a year. I wish I lived in a city that didn't have so much light pollution so I could capture these nicely! This timescape is pure awesome!!!

Back