Astaro Security Gateway

Grentz

Fully [H]
Ok, I am trying out astaro again now that I have a VM with some balls that can keep it happy.

I have a few quesitons so far though after messing around with it.

First, does it automatically have a firewall setup? I cant seem to find any settings for it besides it saying it is enabled on the dashboard. Do I have to add in some packet rules to make it work properly and be up to say smoothwall/ipcop out of the box standards?

Second, does the HTTP proxy automatically cache or what. I read somewhere that it is caching but on the device itself there is no real mention of it in the menus.

BTW, this is installed into a VM (virtual machine) right now.

Another question. So to do basic setup like a smoothwall/ipcop box with NAT, i need to add a NAT Masq from my internal network interface to my external network interface correct?

Also where would I input my DNS settings to use OpenDNS instead of my ISP ones (that come via DHCP from the modem)?

Thanks in adv. for the help!

Ok, well NM on all these questions I guess. Stupid astaro will not grab a IP via DHCP from my DSL Modem :rolleyes:

your running this in a vm? ipcop doesnt want to pick up an ip address via dhcp for it's red interface in my vmware environment... so i just set it up with a static address... works a treat... give that a whirl.

The problem is it has to pick it up from my ISP (the public address is via DHCP as my modem is bridged) and I dont have a static address so I cant just assign it something :(

Did you do the setup wizard? The setup wizard in the GUI after installation will walk you through setting up most of that stuff. By default it should have a NAT masq setting for the internal network, as long as that was configured anyway. I haven't tried to run it in a VM yet, I have only installed on dedicated servers. .. .

The VM does not have a setup GUI sadly. It comes preconfigured so you have to reconfigure it to your needs.

I had it all going pretty good, besides the damn fact that it wont get an IP from my ISP via DHCP (and it was set to the Cable option (even though I have DSL) which says DHCP).

why not just grab the iso and install it to a VM that way? you can customize the install and run the gui to configure it to whatever you need it to be setup as.

why not just grab the iso and install it to a VM that way? you can customize the install and run the gui to configure it to whatever you need it to be setup as.

It doesn't work. Tried it already and in looking online it also says it will not work. Just says setup failed about 2 steps into it.

Many ISPs only give you one IP. Having another machine connected just means it doesn't receive an IP. Could that be the problem?

No, it is the only thing connected when I try.

I have used many different firewall distros on my connection, they just dont like to get the DHCP address when in a VM it seems like.

Back