Astaro NAT explanation

tacos4me

Gawd
Could someone please post a proper example of a NAT/packet filter rule for say port 80? I'm looking to replace my Smoothwall distro with Astaro, as I really like the features it offers, however this NAT/packet filter system has me completely confused at this point. :confused:

what are you trying to do? Are you wanting to allow web traffic to a server on your LAN or do you just want to be able to use the intarwebs? Did you go through the startup wizard and enable all your LANs to access the internets?

The NAT page and all the fancy symbols had me confused for awhile. I think I understand now however. Traffic is getting to my webserver at least.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out what they meant by NAT Masquerading. :D I am used to Cisco terminology....

Astaro is a really good product, however. The IPS/IDS and protocol control are really nice features that Cisco can't match in the price range...

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the astaro firewall.. I have been using astaro since ver 1.7 and am really happy about it. I am also a reseller, so let me know if you need anything.

Astaro is cool, but pricey for a home user and their limits on the free version make it not work for a "power" home user that has a lot of devices :(

Astaro is cool, but pricey for a home user and their limits on the free version make it not work for a "power" home user that has a lot of devices :(

I use the free version for my home and haven't really run into any issues with the 10-user limit. I have two laptops, a desktop/home server, wifi PDA, DS, Xbox 360, Cisco 3620 router, Cisco 2924xl switch and a buffalo WHR-G54S used as an AP. Ocassionally I'll have another couple computers that I am working on for other people and I haven't run into any issues with them connecting. I think for most people it will be fine, not as picky about the connections as say a 10-user pix or asa5505. :)

I've also setup a number of them for friends and family that have kids, they haven't had any issues yet either.

But, I do see your point. If you have an xbox, wii, ps3 and like seven other computers, pdas, etc. Then you might run into issues if they all connect at one time.

I know this is an old thread but I have spent the past week trying to get my xbox360 working with the astaro v.7. Everything works on my network before the astaro and after...except for the media center part of Xbox360. This is my main TV watching source in the living room and for some reason I can not get it to work. it will not connectt to the media center pc. i have it accessing xboxlive fine though.

I have the astaro --> Linksys 350n ste to not give out ips and hardwired to the 360 and the media cetner pc. I know these are on the local network and nothing should need to be place in the nat or packetfilter....any help would be apprciated.

Thanks

Tony

I can not ping the exbox 360. The weird thing is that the linksys media extender works fine. I tried pinging the ip address that Vastro gives the xbox and I get 4 lost packets. Under Web security, Advanced, I have the streaming setttings checked to Bypass contect scanning for streaming content if that is what you mean by meida sharing enabled

I can not ping the exbox 360. The weird thing is that the linksys media extender works fine. I tried pinging the ip address that Vastro gives the xbox and I get 4 lost packets. Under Web security, Advanced, I have the streaming setttings checked to Bypass contect scanning for streaming content if that is what you mean by meida sharing enabled

No, on your media center PC, is media sharing enabled? Also, if you can't ping the IP of your xbox then either the xbox is not getting an IP correctly or your media center PC can't talk to it. If you're running Vista I would check the network and sharing center to make sure you have your LAN set as a private (home or work) network. Are you running any 3rd party software firewall on the computer?

its is an xp media center pc. The 360 is getting the ip correctly ifrom the astaro. i am not running any firewall or security software on the PC. the weird thing is that my setup works great when I have the linksys 350n giving out the adreeses but as soon as I set hte linksys to no dhcp and ad the astaro to the mix everything works except for the media center extender (360).

hmmm, how are things connected together? I assume you have the Astaro firewall's inside interface plugged into one of the LAN ports on the WRT350? Then the other devices are also plugged into LAN?

Yep thats exactly how it is set up. I still do not understand why the linksys media centwer extender works and the xbox 360 does not work...its beyond me....starting to think I need to go back to my linksys 350n as my firewall.

Back