Associations in Vista with Office 2003. I'm very confused.

Akucaen

Limp Gawd
Okay, short story: .DOC files won't open Word. Word will open .DOCs, but I cannot get double-clicking a .DOC file to open word.

I'm not sure what's going on here. I've made two completely clean installs of Office 2003 on a Vista64 Premium machine. Everything installs properly, all the office components work, and most importantly, word works perfectly. All the other office files set their associations correctly. Powerpoints open with powerpoint, spreadsheets in Excel, etc. .DOC does not register.

.DOC will not open Word, but Word will open any .DOCs. - Edit: Wordpad is the default for opening .doc files, but my listed problem below keeps me from changing it to word.

Now, I've tried a few things:
Completely uninstalling Office and reinstalling it.
Repairing office.
Manually setting .DOC files to open with WINWORD via the office folder. (And this is where it gets weird. If I double click word (WINWORD) from PFx86\MS Office\Office\WINWORD.exe, it doesn't show up in the master dialog box to select an open-as or default, but if I select any other office program (powerpoint, excel) those will show up as options to open with or set as default.)
And finally: Trying to trick windows into doing it via 'clever' mods to the .DOC extension in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.doc

Like I said, the long story short is that office is fine and works perfectly, and my Vista installation is showing no problems whatsoever, but I cannot get .DOC to open Word, period.

Does anyone have any idea something else I can try?

Back