Associated Press Critics Pick The Year's Best Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Personally, we don't think a "best video games of 2013" list that excludes Grand Theft Auto V or Saints Row IV can be considered complete, let alone a list of the "best." Do you?

1. "BioShock Infinite" (Irrational Games, for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC): The latest adventure from provocateur Ken Levine asks tough questions about the bloody path of American history. And it doesn't provide easy answers — indeed, the more you learn about its setting, the flying city of Columbia, the loopier it gets. No other game this year bent my brain as much.

I personally hated Bioshock Infinite. The gameplay felt like a crappy grey area between CoD and Bioshock 1 or 2, and I didn't like the story at all.

Nice seeing a game other than GTA V on top for once (even though that was my Game of the Year/Generation :p). But, to be honest, Bioshock Infinite for me wasn't as great as everyone made it out to be. Maybe I got overhyped for it, but I felt like it failed in comparison to the first Bioshock when it came to atmospheric immersion. I just couldn't get drawn in anywhere like I did with the first one. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game, but I definitely enjoyed The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto V a lot more this year.

bioshock infinite was a load of crap and a complete snoozefest. it's way overhyped and the bloom makes your eyes bleed.

What are some of these "games"? A "witty mystery" on the ipad and some crap I've never heard of for the Xbonebeat out GTA5? Shirley you jest.

Bioshock Infinite was a bit of a let down for me as well. I loved how it starts out but the pacing becomes so uneven through out the game and the last few hours has you going through the same areas again. What I liked about the original Bioshock was its level design was top notch, every area had is own theme and look to it and they all fun to explore. Even though Infinite city looked nice it felt like a step compared to the first game.

Bioshock Infinite doesn't ask hard questions about America's bloody history, it appeases fans of the idea that America is a morally bankrupt country founded by hypocritic religious zealots, while completely ignoring historical facts and everything that was and is good about the greatest nation on God's Green Earth.

Bioshock Infinite doesn't ask hard questions about America's bloody history, it appeases fans of the idea that America is a morally bankrupt country founded by hypocritic religious zealots, while completely ignoring historical facts and everything that was and is good about the greatest nation on God's Green Earth.

Calm down. It is not a documentary - it is a fairly forgettable game. Besides you might want to dial down the "lets stick with only facts" rhetoric when referring to this planet as something belonging to a supernatural being no one can prove exists [fact].

Calm down. It is not a documentary - it is a fairly forgettable game. Besides you might want to dial down the "lets stick with only facts" rhetoric when referring to this planet as something belonging to a supernatural being no one can prove exists [fact].

I know it's not a documentary, but some clowns take things as they see them and don't ever learn history. Who has time for history when there are potential victimhood classes to take, am I right?

Your [fact] only shows your naivety and contempt, as no one has really proven many things that we believe to exist.

I know it's not a documentary, but some clowns take things as they see them and don't ever learn history. Who has time for history when there are potential victimhood classes to take, am I right?

Your [fact] only shows your naivety and contempt, as no one has really proven many things that we believe to exist.

Not sure if you're serious, this is all kinda hilarious as if its a satire based on a literary work. Saying things like greatest nation on god's green earth, talking about the historical fact of a piece of fiction. Its all very hilarious actually. Bravo.

BS:I was great, DLC was meh, but I don't think it deserves #1.

So far with I would give #1 to AC:IV.

Entertainment and technology wise it is better than BS:I.

This list is more like a "these are ten titles that were notable in 2013, and look I covered every base too, from xbox to ipad to pc!". Clickbait.

I thought you were serious until the last part

Excellent satire, well played Mr. Comstock.

I'm still playing Skyrim on my pc.
Seriously, Nexus has so many mods for it, weapons, creatures, followers, improved AIs, housing, areas, lighting engines, skeletons, improved movement animations and more realistic physics that its no longer the same game it was on release.
There is so much new user made content and upgrades that its like a new game every 3-4 months.

Bioshock Infinite was OK. I actually played all the way through it, which is saying something. But if this was game of the year, 2013 wasn't a very good year for gaming.

Peggle 2 and FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. REALLY? Arguably, one of the least fun to play, boring, no-voice over, dull small map, zoning/non-open world mmprgs and a puzzle game are on this list...and GTAIV isn't. Sigh. I'd even put Max Payne 3 above those games which I think really says something.

If these were broken down in to some sort of category rather than just being a "top 10" I could buy in to a couple of them.

I'm not a huge fan of GTA, so I haven't played V.

Mine would be a little different, but here's my top list (in no particular order) based on how much I played them/amount of fun I had:
1) Super Mario 3D World - Nintendo seemed to have struck the "Fun" chord a lot harder with this one. There's no insane hand-holding, the challenge ramps quickly if you go collector-crazy, and it looks FANTASTIC.
2) Tomb Raider - A surprising reboot with compelling characters, an interesting story, and tight controls. Good action, decent pacing, and if you love to collect crap on an island, this one works.
3) Saints Row IV - I didn't know how they would turn the Saints world up to 11, but holy crap. Thought it would be more of the same, but it was constantly funny, clever, and enjoyable.
4) Batman: Arkham Origins - Not quite on the same level as Arkham City, but it took what was great about the first two and kept it tight. The increased aggression in the thugs made me happy, and the boss battles were interesting. On New Game+ this game really shines if you want a challenge.
5) Rayman Legends - It's Rayman with SO MUCH RAYMAN. There are so many levels and so much to do in this game that it's insane. Not just a "solid" platform title, this is a genre-defining game for me. The variety in the new content coupled with the accessibility of old levels made this game more fun than it had any right to be.
6) Dead Rising 3 - I wasn't a fan of Dead Rising 1/2, but I bought an Xbox One and this one looked the most interesting to me. The open-world and sheer number of zombies that I get to hack to bits was incredibly satisfying. I really liked how insane the psycho missions were, they were more interesting to me than the main story by a long shot. The open world kept the side missions from feeling too boring, and when I missed them due to time expiring I felt like it was my own fault, not that the game was screwing me.
7) The Last of Us - Controls were just OK and took me some time to adjust to, but it never felt like I was being robbed. I felt like it wasn't really challenging enough, but the character development and story were top notch. The acting was awesome and I hated every second of having to be that dispicable main character, but I felt compelled to see what was going to happen and how events would unfold.
8) Lego City Undercover - For not liking GTA games, I sure liked this one. It's an open-world mission-based Lego game with an eerily similar feel to GTA. Full of nods to pop culture, classic films, and humor for both kids and adults this game really hit the nail on the head for me. The load times are atrocious to the point of being burdensome, and driving could have used some more variety but overall I was really happy to play this game.
9) Far Cry 3 - I cannot emphasize enough how much better this game is than Far Cry 2. Or any of the other Far Cry games. It took me some time to really appreciate it, but as the story progressed and I took control of more of the island it really started to tighten its grip on me. I'm sure just about everybody here has played this game.
10) Killer Instinct - I know I'm going to take flak for this one, but screw it. I like what they did with the combo system, I like the character design, and the audio is awesome. Being able to play some retro KI tunes in the training room is also awesome, because I loved that game.

Say what you will about the titles above, but dammit they were fun. The only ones that really impressed me graphically were Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World. I've seen green and brown islands everywhere, and none of the design in the titles above was particularly astonishing. Some of the set pieces in SR4 are amazing, but generally the environment doesn't really pull me in. That's not to say they don't look good mind you, but run down buildings, forests, and wet, muddy locales are par for the course these days.

THAT'S MY 2(x10) CENTS.

The Associated Press picking the best anything is equitable to the Academy awards. You basically have the worst of the worst picked as the best.

The article has 2 lists (thus the 2 authors) and GTAV is #2 on the 2nd list

I personally hated Bioshock Infinite. The gameplay felt like a crappy grey area between CoD and Bioshock 1 or 2, and I didn't like the story at all.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you there. I wanted to like BI, I really did... but the gameplay was annoying and lackluster story (nice graphics but if all I wanted was nice graphics I'd play a final fantasy game with 75% cut scenes haha)

Maybe I'm a PC snob, but when a game is designed to be played with a controller and not a kb/m, there are inherent design decisions made which take away playability IMO kind of like how diablo 3 was designed. the only difference is they pretended it was designed for the pc and kb/m input, while they were letting PC players beta test the game before it got ported to consoles (insulting a majority of their player base at the same time)

Greatest nation....I didn't think Bioshock Infinite was about the history of Canada.

GTA Online has been some of the best gaming i've had in a LONNNGG time. I wanted to play last of us but being a ps3 exclusive that ruled it out. I enjoyed bioshock infinite but the ending part really kills it's chances of being number one in my book. Anytime a game does the "protect the bs" It gets severe negative marks. It's just lazy story telling and shallow way to make the game seem unfairly difficult.

Back