Assistance/Opinions in a new rig build?

NumberTwo

Weaksauce
So I'm looking to build something around a Z77 Sabertooth. The last rig I built was...

•Thermaltake Armour Series full tower
•ASUS P5WDH Deluxe
•Q6600 GO stepping
•Corsair XMS2 4GB RAM DDR2 800
•EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB GPU
•X-FI Fatal1ty Pro 7.1 sound card
•OCZ 850W PSU
•LiteOn DVD burner

I built this rig back 2/08/2007. The MB recently died (My own doing), the GPU card had given up the ghost about 6 months ago, and I had to replace the PSU about 3 years in. If the MB didn't shit the bed, I'd still be happy.

I'm looking to build something new, and maybe try watercooling. I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU cooler on the Q6600 because I did, at one point, have it OC'd, but brought it back to stock because I really didn't see the need to OC what I had.

I know I want the Z77 Sabertooth. I know I want 32GB of RAM. I like the G.Skill Rip, but also saw the Corsair Dominator. I was looking at the 3770K deal at Micro Center. I basically need the following for my new build...

•Case (Pref mid)
•MB
•CPU
•GPU
•RAM
•PSU
•Cooling (Doesn't have to be water, and I'll probably not OC for now, but might down the road).
•I'd like maybe some fan controller, or a little eye candy on the front of the case, but not a huge deal.

The PC will be used for surfing the web, moderate to heavy gaming, and longevity. I don't mind spending a decent price for a great rig provided it'll last and play games to come like my previous rig did. Any and all input is appreciated.

Oh, and I do have a lot of HD's I'd like to utilize. I have a SanDisk Hyper3 128GB SSD as a primary, an 80GB Cuda, 2 - 320 Cuda's and a 2 TB Cuda, all SATA. While I don't need all of those drives in the tower, it would be nice to have being I have a ton of stuff spread across them. If needed, I could use my original 11 bay case, or just buy a full case as opposed to a mid.

Some questions:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

Some questions:
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

No budget. Not a billion dollars, but 1-2 grand is fine. A little more if needed. Tax and tags are expected.

I live in NJ. Central. Micro Center is 30 minutes away.

I'd like to OC, but not out of realm.

24" monitor as of now, but want dual 30's.

I'm kinda dead set on the z77 Sabertooth.

I have a legit 7 x86 key.

I have a legit 7 x86 key.

Wait.... x86? You mean you only have a 32bit key? Which version of Windows 7 do you have? Pro? Home Premium?

Why are you dead set on the Sabertooth Z77?

I'm sorry, It's 64 bit Win 7 Pro. Can't really narrow it down as to why I am set on the Sabertooth. I love ASUS boards though, so I know whatever MB I go with will be an ASUS. As far as the dual 30's, that'll be sometime down the road. Not a huge thing now. I just want a rig that I can play BF3 on without issues, and BF4 when it comes out as well as other misc games I might get sucked into.

Asus, then? That makes things easier. So forget about the Sabertooth; you don't need it.

Go to Micro Center and pick up an Intel Core i5-3570K along with the Asus P8Z77-V LK. They're all you need to satisfy your gaming inch. You also don't need 32GB of RAM; get a decent (and low profile) 16GB kit.

If you don't have a SATA DVD burner, MC has a few available for under $20 each. I believe that MC also has the 2TB Barracuda 7200.14 on sale. Pick up one (or two, if your funds allow it) and move the contents of your older HDDs onto it (or them).

If you have to use NewEgg for anything, grab the Seasonic X750 while it's on sale. (In other words get it tonight!)

Pick up an Thermalright VX BTK II bolt-thru kit for the Ultra 120 cooler. The kit will enable you to recycle your CPU cooler and use it with your new Socket 1155 motherboard. (Yes, it's still good enough, though you may want to check out the fan before replacing that.)

AMD is bundling its HD 7950 and HD 7970 cards with free copies of Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite, so I'd recommend them right now. If you prefer NVIDIA, the GTX 670 is better from a price/performance perspective than the GTX 680.

Your current case is pretty big. Do you really want to replace it?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back