assigning 2 computer names on the same computer URGENT

Kqueno

Weaksauce
here is the problem, we have a file server that went down but it is backed up on a SAN. To do a quick fix we are going to pull it from the SAN to another server. We are trying to give our server the same name as the one that went down sort of for a temporary purpose. This way people dont lose their mapped drives or network folders.

I heard there is a registry hack that you can do, to name a computer with 2 separate netbios names. If anyone knows, PLEASE HELP.

--forgot to post it is a Windows 2003 server--

Maybe you could create a DNS CNAME. Though, Windows file sharing may not like that. I have had problem using CNAMEs for file shares.

What about editing the paths in the users profile, so when they login in, it's already done?

We did use a registry key and it worked and mapped the drives over, but now our database program that our terminal servers use are throwing up a bunch of errors. Seems like it does have to do with file sharing but im not sure where to look first. I might have to take the time and rebuild the server that caused the problem in the first place. :(

The database programs might be using ODBC connections to an IP address, not to a netbios name. Make sure the new server's IP address is the same as the old one.

Back