Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Does anyone get the save game glitch? i started getting it at around 40 hours in and it happens everytime try to play. i have to exit to title screen and reload, very annoying. This is on xbox but wondering if it happens on other systems...

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: Wrath of the Druids is a massive expansion stuffed with pagans, intrigue, and Irish mythology

Valhalla's first big DLC was worth the wait...It doesn't reinvent or improve Valhalla in any significant way, instead expanding what was already there, good and bad...Everything I loved about Valhalla—the political intrigue, stunning scenery, and absorbing list of side activities—is all present with Irish twists...and everything I didn't like about Valhalla is there, too

Just like in Valhalla, those little irritants have been pretty easy to ignore...I'm still working through it, but Ubisoft suggests that the whole thing will take around 20 hours to complete...that estimate seems conservative to me. Wrath of the Druids is a big, meaty expansion and a must for anyone who enjoyed Valhalla...

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-wrath-of-the-druids-review-impressions/

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'm mapping Ireland meaning getting all the fast travel points and exposing all of the map. Nice fog and green fields. I'll do the missions later.

There was a decent sale going on this weekend so I was able to snag the standard version of the game for $30.
So far it's more of the same from the last two, although the controls have a definite jankiness to them that reminds me of the Witcher 3. Things like clipping problems, going down ladders, climbing down cliffs, or even just having crouch and dodge/roll mapped to the same button leads to weird issues. Nothing that kills my enjoyment, but I find myself doing things I didn't want to do way more than in Odyssey and Origins.

I might play the DLC when the Paris one comes out. Base game was a lot longer than I thought. About 100+ hours and I didn't do all the small mysteries. I'm assuming both DLCs will be 30-40 hours long. Kind of got burned out of it and didn't much care for the game anyways. River Raids were very boring so that won't get me to play again.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla 1.2.2 adds Mastery Challenges and improves River Raids

Title update 1.2.2 launches on June 15th at 5 AM PDT / 8am EDT / 1pm BST...the patch will be 14.14GB on PC...

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/assassins-creed/valhalla/news-updates/4FXNwquMN9ciTulIpdFmLv
Reading this. I have to see if I can gain interest again to keep going. I stopped maybe half or a third of the way through England. It doesn't feel the same as Origins or Odyssey to me. I think it might be that loot is at fixed locations so maybe there isn't much incentive to fight and play.

Reading this. I have to see if I can gain interest again to keep going. I stopped maybe half or a third of the way through England. It doesn't feel the same as Origins or Odyssey to me. I think it might be that loot is at fixed locations so maybe there isn't much incentive to fight and play.
I just refunded it the other day. I picked it up for $30 during the EGS sale and found it extremely disappointing. Nothing felt right, the movement, the combat, the cutscenes were all "off". It felt more like a Euro jank game than an AC game. Even the graphics left quite a bit to be desired. It really is a shame because I was looking forward to an Odyssey like game based around Norse Mythology.

I put in 40 hrs when it was released & then quit. It's nowhere close to the joy I felt with Odyssey. I might eventually jump back in but I don't find Eivor nearly as powerful as Kassandra or Alexios. The loot isn't very exciting when I'm blocked from completing sets due to lacking powers or a way in.

I just refunded it the other day. I picked it up for $30 during the EGS sale and found it extremely disappointing. Nothing felt right, the movement, the combat, the cutscenes were all "off". It felt more like a Euro jank game than an AC game. Even the graphics left quite a bit to be desired. It really is a shame because I was looking forward to an Odyssey like game based around Norse Mythology.

Yeah, I feel you on the Eurojank front. Movement isn't quite right, collision detection isn't quite right, etc. Some of the cutscenes are in-game and running at max FPS while others are 30fps etc. I feel like the previous two games were ultra-polished and this one simply isn't. It's not horrible and I plan to play all the way through it, but I was pretty close to 100% completion with Origins and Odyssey. There isn't much chance I'll be doing that with this one.

Maybe its just me but i've not found a lot of "jank", either playing on my old NV 1070 or my new 3090, and it seems they're supporting the game well. I've generally enjoyed Assassin's Creed games over the years and in the most recent modern trilogy I've found things to enjoy about all of them.

For Valhalla I can understand the "not feeling as immediately powerful" as Odyssey , which both mechanically and thematically makes sense. It feels like a better version of Origins in a way because I do like how you can eventually unlock ALL the tech tree abilities, plus hotkeys are only necessary for Adrenalin-related finisher moves not "normal" abilities. Lots of people said that Odyssey didn't feel at all like an AC game for a number of reasons and one thing I didn't like was how constrained you were to the varying tech trees and slots for abilities (ie the "rush assassination" thing that can only be done out of combat/in stealth requires a same melee ability slot you'd use for combat abilities like the Spartan Kick . You had to respec often enough in order to get a setup synergy of gear (which there was also a ton of gear laying around some with questionable or randomized stats), traits, and active abilities etc... and while I had a lot of fun with Odyssey regardless I'm glad Valhalla has moved on from that.

'm still quite early in the game and there's a lot to do in Valhalla, but I'm enjoying some of the mechanics and additional content (ie the River Raids system gives you all the quasi-randomized raiding you could want on separate maps). The separation of the "abilities books" from the "tech tree" works out well and both seem reasonable, a long arc to growing incredibly powerful. Gear also splits the difference between Origins and Odyssey in that there are sets, but there isn't a lot of randomized drop stuff laying around either - you have to decide what is worth to spend your upgrade resources. Hell, if you like the base "Raven Clan Armor" that you start the game wearing you can equip it all the way through and eventually upgrade it to being Mythical rarity, which is neat ; I love that this also includes graphical upgrades with changes in "tier". Lots of options for pairing of weapons, gear and the like with more on the way (ie apparently 1H swords are coming soon and will differ in feel from 1H axe use). The map has a lot to do and explore as always in a modern AC title, but I do sympathize with CrimsonKnight13 in that sometimes you can make it to an area and there is a certain item behind a locked door or otherwise impassible until later in the game , such as after a story mission in that location where said door will be open. I really wish they would update it to include a reference to this on the map and collectible checklists so that users don't have to either scramble for an online guide or be wondering that they're simply missing the well hidden entrance or mechanic necessary to find the item, spending lots of ultimately useless time looking for a way in. That seems like something that could be fixed with differing icons (once discovered, like putting a small red X on the map icon and bar of the collectibles gauge) and a message at the location like "This door/passage has been sealed , perhaps later events will make it more accessible".

Still nice to see them supporting the title though and apparently we're going to have a second year of expansions so that should be something interesting; I'm guessing that is where they will put the "hardcore Nordic mythology, we're sailing through all the nine realms now boys!" fantasy expansion?

As I get further, the game's size and scope are becoming more evident. I've just had my first brush wish Asgard (which the game didn't explain every well), and I've been playing around with River Raids and attempting to kill bosses that are way over my level. Between those things and the idea of making your camp bigger and better, I'm at least happy they didn't just re-create Origins and Odyssey in a new environment. That said, the control and movement jank is still a constant source of annoyance. It really does feel like they threw out what worked in the last two games and decided to emulate the Witcher's movement and collision system. Climbing into an open hole or passage is like a boss battle. Mapping dodge, sneak, and roll to the same function feels like a prank from the developers. Being in a battle and dodging/rolling directly into a slow sneak rather than a run is exactly what I want to do.

It really does feel like they threw out what worked in the last two games
They most likely have multiple teams working on multiple sequels simultaneously, so they can crank out a sequel every year or every other year. Hence it might seem some releases 'go backwards' in features, as the team who worked on it didn't actually work on or build upon the previous game.

They most likely have multiple teams working on multiple sequels simultaneously, so they can crank out a sequel every year or every other year. Hence it might seem some releases 'go backwards' in features, as the team who worked on it didn't actually work on or build upon the previous game.

No doubt. This one seems to be using a totally different movement system from either of them and it's a definitely step backwards. They clearly spent a lot of time giving him freedom to climb up huge rock faces and cliffs, but getting him to go down one is an absolute struggle. Any object more than a few feet wide with a 90+ degree angle has invisible walls. You can't accidentally fall off much, but it makes climbing off of anything a hassle. Watching Eivor dash against the invisible walls surrounding a mountain instead of climbing down is just ugly.

No doubt. This one seems to be using a totally different movement system from either of them and it's a definitely step backwards. They clearly spent a lot of time giving him freedom to climb up huge rock faces and cliffs, but getting him to go down one is an absolute struggle. Any object more than a few feet wide with a 90+ degree angle has invisible walls. You can't accidentally fall off much, but it makes climbing off of anything a hassle. Watching Eivor dash against the invisible walls surrounding a mountain instead of climbing down is just ugly.
I miss jumping off of high points like Odyssey...

i see, i skipped it and the one before(egypt one?)...
At this moment, Odyssey is my favorite out of the new action oriented ones. Origin is a great one as well but is a little rough around the edges. I was hoping that Valhalla would take the best of both games... I just need to get through some of the slog (already have done 40 hrs) & hopefully enjoy more of it. Maybe I'll give it a complete playthrough once all DLC are released & patched.

You can jump off of tall heights in Valhalla, but you have to use the jump button. It's usually pretty awkward, but at least it's possible. It saves time and you can fall a long way before it'll totally kill you. You can't walk, roll, or dodge off edges that are over a certain angle, though. That's the weird element. You basically have invisible guardrails.

Jumping and free running in general is odd in Valhalla. There are some flashbacks to the older games where you chase a piece of paper blowing in the wind. Usually it's a path that involves a lot of hopping, jumping, running along rooftops, etc. While you're trying to do that at a gallop...sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Most of the time it's more consistent just to watch the object and avoid the obstacles altogether.

You can jump off of tall heights in Valhalla, but you have to use the jump button. It's usually pretty awkward, but at least it's possible. It saves time and you can fall a long way before it'll totally kill you. You can't walk, roll, or dodge off edges that are over a certain angle, though. That's the weird element. You basically have invisible guardrails.

Jumping and free running in general is odd in Valhalla. There are some flashbacks to the older games where you chase a piece of paper blowing in the wind. Usually it's a path that involves a lot of hopping, jumping, running along rooftops, etc. While you're trying to do that at a gallop...sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Most of the time it's more consistent just to watch the object and avoid the obstacles altogether.
I've only tried successful drop jumps with whatever ability allows you to attack from above with a spear. Most of the time I just fail with a splat.

I've only tried successful drop jumps with whatever ability allows you to attack from above with a spear. Most of the time I just fail with a splat.

I hate climbing down mountains so much I usually just risk jumping off the edge to save time. Unless you fall really, really far straight down you can usually survive. I miss the "leap of faith" being available so often in the other games. It's in this one, but they're kinda rare...and very rarely in the areas where you want to quick travel and get anywhere fast.

I hate climbing down mountains so much I usually just risk jumping off the edge to save time. Unless you fall really, really far straight down you can usually survive. I miss the "leap of faith" being available so often in the other games. It's in this one, but they're kinda rare...and very rarely in the areas where you want to quick travel and get anywhere fast.
Weird way for them to go with the game. Map size increased but the ability to traverse said map is painful (despite the fast travel points).

So you skipped the good ones...

Pretty much this. After running the original formula into the ground (with Unity being a particular low point), those two saved the series from CoD-level tedium. Odyssey is my favorite in the whole series and I've played 'em all.

I always found Unity to be the most boring of the bunch. In spite of a cool setting, it just felt phoned-in after Black Flag (a 5-star game IMO). People remember it for being buggy, but it was fixed-up relatively quickly. It came out during that period when Ubisoft was cranking out half-hearted franchise games left and right. I can't think of a single thing it did better than Black Flag or any of the Ezio games. Arno was only barely more charismatic than Connor from AC3. I was so annoyed by it that I totally skipped Syndicate. That's still the only AC game I haven't completed...or even played. Supposedly it's good, but that old-style AC combat of nothing but blocked attacks and counters = so tired.

Unity had amazing graphics, even on the consoles, when released. However, it did run like dogshit for sure. A lot of people didn't like the change with the combat system as well. I thought it was generally decent for the time, and it still looks stunning on PC @ 4k if you've played it recently.

I always found Unity to be the most boring of the bunch. In spite of a cool setting, it just felt phoned-in after Black Flag (a 5-star game IMO). People remember it for being buggy, but it was fixed-up relatively quickly. It came out during that period when Ubisoft was cranking out half-hearted franchise games left and right. I can't think of a single thing it did better than Black Flag or any of the Ezio games. Arno was only barely more charismatic than Connor from AC3. I was so annoyed by it that I totally skipped Syndicate. That's still the only AC game I haven't completed...or even played. Supposedly it's good, but that old-style AC combat of nothing but blocked attacks and counters = so tired.
I'd rate them as 1. Black Flag 2. Syndicate 3. Unity

Black Flag is all around great but I discount it for the overwhelming amount of collectible PoIs that I never even decided to check out.
Syndicate has an amazing atmosphere & gameplay during Victorian-era London & the female protag, Evie (stealth) is quite enjoyable. I can't stand Jacob (CQC) though...
Unity can be a bit murky with some of the characters but I loved revolutionary Paris & surrounding areas. Even the gameplay was great but not better than Black Flag.

I'd rate them as 1. Black Flag 2. Syndicate 3. Unity

Black Flag is all around great but I discount it for the overwhelming amount of collectible PoIs that I never even decided to check out.
Syndicate has an amazing atmosphere & gameplay during Victorian-era London & the female protag, Evie (stealth) is quite enjoyable. I can't stand Jacob (CQC) though...
Unity can be a bit murky with some of the characters but I loved revolutionary Paris & surrounding areas. Even the gameplay was great but not better than Black Flag.

Syndicate has the best setting of them all in my opinion. I still remember walking around the dimly lit streets of London in the early morning hours, on a foggy day, and being blown away. Gameplay was pretty marginal but the atmosphere of that game was great.

Even as disappointing as Valhalla has been (compared to Odyssey at least), I'm still plugging away and feel like I've really only just gotten going 40 hours in. It's old hat after the last two games, but I like hunting down the cult members and seeing what strategies work on each. I also enjoy seeing how under-leveled I can be when killing them. I've taken out a pair of cult members that were level 250+ and I only just hit level 100 myself. I don't know if Valhalla is better than Odyssey in literally any way (except sheer size/scope), but more of the same is keeping me entertained enough.

Oh yeah - anyone else experience crashing in this game? It's not frequent, but I've had maybe 5 crashes in 40 hours. At least 2 of them were happening in the same area/battle.

Last edited:
The combat controls are, for me, really badly placed. "c" to dodge (and "q" to parry) are hard for me to hit while moving. I've tried moving the binding to other keys, but maybe I'm getting too old for these type of games.

Back