Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I just hit hour 85. Trying to mop up Lincolnshire and then there are 4 areas remaining, I think.

The way I'm looking at it is just a series of short stories presented in this point in time with my character being the one thread that runs through it all.

Some stories are better than others (A Tale of Two Jarls, Bloody Path to Peace are great) but I attribute that at least partially to some excellent and spirited voice acting.

Some stories are better than others (A Tale of Two Jarls, Bloody Path to Peace are great) but I attribute that at least partially to some excellent and spirited voice acting.
I don't recall by name which are those two storylines, I only have one or two regions left now. There were some piss poor ones in there, that I really didn't fancy at all.

I think the voice acting is actually not that good. It feels like over reaching, trying too hard. it comes off as stage acting. At least female Eivor is like that most of the time. Kassandra was much better acted.

I like male Eivor a lot better for this particular storyline and time in history. Cassandra worked much better as protagonist in the previous game for me as well. Her brother was much better antagonist for much of that game's story. It all just worked better that way for me.

Just a question to those who played the entire series:

Who the fuck is Basim? Are we supposed to know him from somewhere? It seems to me that the game is expecting me to know him from somewhere and his backstory I only played the first half of the first game, and then skipped all until Odyssey

He’s new to the series.
Then this makes even less sense.

I finished all arcs, there are no more quests to do, the game simply showed a message to continue exploring, upgrading the settlement ant hunting the remaining order members, there wasn't even an end credits screen.
To say that the ending conclusion is underwhelming and disappointing would be the understatement of the year.

It's no different than Odyssey, they are doing to do some DLC's that likely expand on the main narrative. Odyssey didn't really end either until they released the Atlantis DLC.

Just a heads up if anyone runs into this issue. After 70 hours of play time with maybe 2 or 3 crashes, my game started to freeze every 10 minutes or so. Game locks up completely audio still playing. Deleting the game cache fixed this immediately. Here's the folder location:

"C:\Users\[user]\Documents\Assassin's Creed Valhalla\cache"

Delete that folder and it should fix your intermittent freezes if you hadn't any issues previously.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs PC Graphics Analysis + Optimised PC Settings

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It's no different than Odyssey, they are doing to do some DLC's that likely expand on the main narrative. Odyssey didn't really end either until they released the Atlantis DLC.
I never played Atlantis DLC, at the end of Odyssey I was satisfied. This not just lacks closure, but the narrative choices, forced failures make it a generally unpleasant experience, in stark contrast to the rest of the game. I wish I could unsee the last two chapters frankly. Whatever they add later as part of the "live service" cannot undo it.

I never played Atlantis DLC, at the end of Odyssey I was satisfied. This not just lacks closure, but the narrative choices, forced failures make it a generally unpleasant experience, in stark contrast to the rest of the game. I wish I could unsee the last two chapters frankly. Whatever they add later as part of the "live service" cannot undo it.
It won't be a "live service". It will be two stand alone single player expansions.

d5d5ff5e-1305-42c7-9e49-3dedd4ff2fbe.jpg

Are there any tips for raids as a ranged character? The raids do not suit how I generally play Assassin's Creed games. I usually methodically clear a fort with a bow one enemy at a time.

In the raids everyone just rushes headlong into groups of enemies. Do I clear the area first without my crew and then start the raid after? Do I use melee weapons for a raid even though my skills and gear do not align with that?

Are there any tips for raids as a ranged character? The raids do not suit how I generally play Assassin's Creed games. I usually methodically clear a fort with a bow one enemy at a time.

In the raids everyone just rushes headlong into groups of enemies. Do I clear the area first without my crew and then start the raid after? Do I use melee weapons for a raid even though my skills and gear do not align with that?
The new raid setup is just bad. It’s the worst “update” in the series and a massive downgrade to the cool fort takedowns in odyssey. There isn’t much more to it than that.

I'm at about 53% completion and am already getting burnout from Valhalla. The resource collection is such a slog, the character progression loses all meaning after a certain point and I already have all the gear worth while for my play style. I'll probably play the remaining 50% just focusing on main missions. I tried really hard to like this entry to the series but I'm just not feeling it as much as Odyssey. Will try to complete the main story before Cyberpunk drops, then I'll most likely be done with it for good.

I like male Eivor a lot better for this particular storyline and time in history. Cassandra worked much better as protagonist in the previous game for me as well. Her brother was much better antagonist for much of that game's story. It all just worked better that way for me.
Ha I can't even imagine Cassandra as the antagonist.

The brother was like B-movie villiain dickhead with this bogus gruff voice. It was actually perfect.

Like God, damnit micro dick is back in town and is too pussy to actually throw hands with me.

like this
It won't be a "live service". It will be two stand alone single player expansions.
It doesn't really matter how it is delivered, in chunks like in odyssey or as large packages, they cannot undo what's already done.

I've tried clearing raid locations without starting the raid, it is useless. When you sound the horn, the enemies respawn and they continually spawn during the raid for a while. But you can still use ranged weapons during it I didn't see anything preventing that, of course it's a bit inconvenient for indoors, but you should've expected indoor encounters anyway.

I found the easiest way to deal with raids, is to not get into the fighting, just run past enemies to the stashes, you can be in and out in 5 minutes, barely having to fight a few enemies that are directly near the stash or a door that needs to be forced open.

The difficulty curve of the game is weird, it goes down, not up. At the beginning I was struggling with raids, now at the end I easily clear lvl350 raids with my lvl250 character. And I didn't even fully upgrade my equipment as I found looking for resources tedious. So I only use whatever happened to fall in my lap during story quests.

It doesn't really matter how it is delivered, in chunks like in odyssey or as large packages, they cannot undo what's already done.

I've tried clearing raid locations without starting the raid, it is useless. When you sound the horn, the enemies respawn and they continually spawn during the raid for a while. But you can still use ranged weapons during it I didn't see anything preventing that, of course it's a bit inconvenient for indoors, but you should've expected indoor encounters anyway.

I found the easiest way to deal with raids, is to not get into the fighting, just run past enemies to the stashes, you can be in and out in 5 minutes, barely having to fight a few enemies that are directly near the stash or a door that needs to be forced open.

The difficulty curve of the game is weird, it goes down, not up. At the beginning I was struggling with raids, now at the end I easily clear lvl350 raids with my lvl250 character. And I didn't even fully upgrade my equipment as I found looking for resources tedious. So I only use whatever happened to fall in my lap during story quests.
Once you get to power level 200 or so, character progression basically stalls. The skill tree simply becomes paint by numbers for incremental character boosts. It feels very shallow and all the gameplay basically remains the same. It's typical UBISOFT filler with hardly any substance.

I've basically finished the game, the only thing that remains beyond the collecting of stuff are the zealots, but I'm not going to do that, the game gives zero indiciation on where to find them, and I found exactly three of them in over 60 hours with the game. How do heck would I find them? Walk around aimlessly and hope to bump into one? Then repeat 11 more times? LOL.

Oh and of course the father, but I've read that he is only revealed when you killed all zealots. Guess I should've left my name up at the start so they'd come to me.

I've basically finished the game, the only thing that remains beyond the collecting of stuff are the zealots, but I'm not going to do that, the game gives zero indiciation on where to find them, and I found exactly three of them in over 60 hours with the game. How do heck would I find them? Walk around aimlessly and hope to bump into one? Then repeat 11 more times? LOL.

Oh and of course the father, but I've read that he is only revealed when you killed all zealots. Guess I should've left my name up at the start so they'd come to me.
The zealots are indicated by a helm icon on the map. I specifically went after them so I could gain the
Excalibur 2-handed sword

PS - It wasn't worth it.

The zealots are indicated by a helm icon on the map.
Only the ones that you already encountered before at least once. Which for me was three after completing the entire story and hunting down all order members.

I usually take out all the archers on their platforms. Most times the enemy will rush up the ladder and its super easy to kill someone while they are just reaching the top. I use bows to hit the highlighted areas on someone and then ax them to death.

Anyone else find the 'flying paper' artifact challenges completely annoying?
I actually found them a good and welcome change of pace, something different to do. Of course doing all of them at once would be terrible. But whenever I bumped into one I enjoyed doing it.

like this
This worked out perfectly. I finished the game on Sunday, and my ubi+ subscription would've been rebilled tomorrow. And on the 10th CP2077 comes out.

like this
I'm perhaps 2/3rds of the way through, in the level 220 zone now but I think my power level is closer to 280 at this point with all the side quests. Overall I am pleased with the game although I think I enjoyed Odyssey more.

Good:
- Still a beautiful world and getting to enjoy it on a 3080+OLED+HDR truly has been breathtaking at times
- I love some of the new puzzles... in particular, the monolith mysteries and the dice game are both enjoyable.
- Combat is fun and as with other games, there is a highly enjoyable sense of character progression from weakling to "destroy all"

Bad:
- At this point the horse physics/dynamics/control is completely unacceptable.
- Ditto character controllability on ledges, etc. I think the fact that I just came off Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Doom/Doom Eternal (with some Borderlands) leaves me wanting desperately for that kind of polish
- The story frankly has been 'eh' - I find myself enjoying the side quests and mysteries more than the main storyline

I'm reaching a point where I'm inclined to accelerate through the storyline to get to the end.

I miss the gear/loot grind from AC:Odyssey. The setting and atmosphere of this game is more appealing to me though. I keep not really wanting to play this, but decide to fire it up anyway and then I’ll get impressed with the scenery and play mostly just to enjoy the world. Which is fine, I can get behind games like that, but I need something to play for (better gear or an engaging story like say HZD) to keep me interested long-term. This is a long way of saying this game won’t hook me long term. I think after today (Cyberpunk 2077 release) I’ll be for the most part done with this game.

I'm perhaps 2/3rds of the way through, in the level 220 zone now but I think my power level is closer to 280 at this point with all the side quests. Overall I am pleased with the game although I think I enjoyed Odyssey more.

Good:
- Still a beautiful world and getting to enjoy it on a 3080+OLED+HDR truly has been breathtaking at times
- I love some of the new puzzles... in particular, the monolith mysteries and the dice game are both enjoyable.
- Combat is fun and as with other games, there is a highly enjoyable sense of character progression from weakling to "destroy all"

Bad:
- Ditto character controllability on ledges, etc. I think the fact that I just came off Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Doom/Doom Eternal (with some Borderlands) leaves me wanting desperately for that kind of polish
- The story frankly has been 'eh' - I find myself enjoying the side quests and mysteries more than the main storyline

I'm reaching a point where I'm inclined to accelerate through the storyline to get to the end.
I agree with I think everything you’ve said, but definitely about the OLED HDR part. Game looks fantastic.

Dual Spears seems to be the dumbest combination I've tried so far.

It's ridiculously good.

Dual Spears seems to be the dumbest combination I've tried so far.

It's ridiculously good.
It's my favorite. The speed at which you stack damage is absurd. I'm one last notch away (damn titanium) from having my two main spears at their max.

I miss the gear/loot grind from AC:Odyssey. The setting and atmosphere of this game is more appealing to me though. I keep not really wanting to play this, but decide to fire it up anyway and then I’ll get impressed with the scenery and play mostly just to enjoy the world. Which is fine, I can get behind games like that, but I need something to play for (better gear or an engaging story like say HZD) to keep me interested long-term. This is a long way of saying this game won’t hook me long term. I think after today (Cyberpunk 2077 release) I’ll be for the most part done with this game.
I like the fixed loot with known stats. I did not care for the piles of random loot from Odyssey. I welcome the return to named gear as was done in Origin.

Good:

Bad:

I agree with I think everything you’ve said, but definitely about the OLED HDR part. Game looks fantastic.
Do you have an OLED as a monitor or playing on a living room TV?

Back

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – Title Update 1.1.0​

December 15, 2020, 12:00 AM
We will be deploying Title Update 1.1.0 on December 15, 2020.

Patch Sizes and Deployment Timing:​

· PC: ~5.6 GB
Deployment timing for all platforms: 1 pm CET | 7 am ET | 4 am PT | 11 pm AEDT
Please note that these timings are estimates and subject to change.
Check out the most notable changes with 1.1.0 below.

CONTENT​

Added in-game support for the Settlement expansion and Yule Festival
· The Yule Festival is a time-limited event with several festivities to enjoy and rewards to obtain. To bring this and future festivals to life, you'll see the arrival of the revellers just east of the current settlement.
· We’ll provide more details about the Settlement expansion and the Yule Festival in our upcoming Yule Season Preview article. Stay tuned. 😊

Miscellaneous​

· - Legendary animal trophies will now correctly appear in the Longhouse.

Balancing​

· Tweaked the NPC power level behaviour.
o - NPCs power will now be at a maximum difference of 51 below the player.
o - NPCs that are 51 power below the player will be highlighted in green.
o World bosses will match the player's power level when the power exceeds the world bosses’ base level. (also applies to: Alpha animals, Zealots)
o This change applies to all difficulties.
· Added loot-able chests to the Grand Magaester's hideout.
o Note: This hideout is only available from a very specific moment in the game. Spoilers. :)
· Addressed an issue where the Crit. Spark rune would not work when slotted into bows.
· Addressed an issue where wrong weapon stats were displayed for specific items.
o Royal Guard
o Viper Bow
o Death-Speaker
o The Mark of Sol
o Doppelhander
o Hundtoth

Game improvements​

Performance and Stability​

· Improved stability and performance.
· (PC) Addressed some freezes when performing specific actions for the first time.
· (PC) Addressed an issue that could cause freezes during Splash Screen.

Graphics, Audio, Animation​

· Addressed various graphics issues.
· Addressed various character or NPC animation issues.
· Addressed various clipping issues.
· Addressed an issue where fish may lay on its side during the fishing animation.
· Addressed an issue where some NPCs would cut the air instead of wheat. *practice doesn’t always make perfect.*
· Addressed an issue where NPCs that are being assassinated while being unconscious would sometimes get up during the animation.
· Tattooed Mimir’s head. *¯\_(ツ)_/¯*
· Addressed an issue with jagged sea foam.

Quests, World Events, Side Activities​

· Addressed an issue in A Sword-Shower in Anecastre where Aelfgar didn't move to the assault location.
· Addressed an issue where players cannot complete Honor's Hubris.
o Note: This fix will spawn Ljufvina again, reset her position, and restart the quest.
· Addressed an issue that caused Tarben to follow Eivor everywhere when The Baker's Plaint wasn't completed. *Your watch has ended, Tarben.*
· Addressed an issue where Fast Travel wouldn't be available under certain conditions when returning to England after completing the Hordafylke arc.
· Addressed an issue where Allies would not help Eivor opening doors at the Isle of Ely Monastery. *Team work makes the dream work!*
· Addressed an issue with the Settlement Anomaly's light beams that prevented players from completing the anomaly.
· Addressed an issue in Well-Traveled where the objective would not update under certain circumstances.
· Addressed an issue where Fenrir could get stuck underground.
· Addressed an issue where Eivor would sometimes be levitating during Assault outros. *No more Wingardium Leviosa for this one.*
· Addressed an issue in Defensive Measures where Jotuns would be able to pass through the shield after the Bring the Invaders into the Shield objective was completed. *You shall not pass!*
· Addressed an issue in Brewing Rebellion where the cutscene wouldn't trigger when the door was opened by an NPC by accident.
· Addressed an issue in The False Ealdormancy that prevented players from completing it under certain conditions. *This Hunwald ain’t loyal...*
· Addressed an issue in Kingdom’s End where Guthrum doesn't leave the Hamptun Blockade area after releasing the prisoners or could randomly become inactive.
· Addressed an issue in A Sword-Shower in Anecastre that prevented players from completing the quest.
· Addressed an issue in The Goddess of Birth that prevented players from completing the event.
· Addressed an issue in Glory Regained where players could become stuck on the platform with the horn.
· Addressed an issue in View Above All where the quest objective would sometimes not update after closing the gates.
· Addressed an issue in A Rivalry for the Ages where players couldn't complete the quest under certain circumstances.
· Addressed an issue in The Boar with the Golden Nose where players couldn't complete a world event due to Lady Trotters not spawning.
· Addressed an issue in Defensive Measures where players would die when returning to Asgard.
· Addressed an issue in Cruel Destiny that prevented players from proceeding to the second phase of the boss fight. *Quest name checks out.*
· Addressed an issue in Madness of the Stones that prevented players from proceeding with the quest.
· Addressed an issue in Bleeding the Leech that prevented players from completing the quest.
· Addressed an issue where Petra would run into the opposite direction of the Elk. *See this, Petra?*
· Addressed an issue where players could sometimes not get back into the room with the Norns.
· Addressed an issue in Giants of Fimbulwinter where Eivor could get stuck inside the quest area.
· Addressed an issue in Smashing the Compass that prevented players from completing the quest.
· Addressed an issue in War Weary where players couldn't re-enter the church under certain circumstances.
· Addressed an issue in War of the Collectors where the world event wouldn't be completed under certain circumstances.
· Addressed an issue in The Big Finish where the quest objective wouldn't update further.
· Addressed an issue that prevented players from entering Skyrmir's Mitten in The Lost Cauldron.
· Addressed an issue in Firing the Arrow where the quest objective would sometimes not update.
· Addressed an issue where some players couldn't progress the game anymore upon reaching England after Title Update 1.0.4.
· Addressed an issue with the SteinnBjorn encounter.

World​

· Addressed various object or texture placement issues.
· Addressed various instances where the player could become stuck on objects.

Gameplay, Combat, AI​

· Addressed various NPC behavior/animation issues.
· Addressed an issue that allowed players to shoot targets through walls (without using Piercing Shot).
· Addressed an issue with spears not being effective to destroy windows.
· Addressed an issue where the fishing hut kid was roaming Ravensthorpe instead of being at their house. *You’re officially grounded.*
· Horses will now run away when being hurt with a torch.
· Addressed an issue where Jotuns could sometimes warp into walls when shape shifting. *Gidgud*
· Addressed an issue where monks would sometimes stand still and not perform their tasks.
· Addressed an issue where hitting a horse with a Saxon boat will cause it to disappear when mounting it. *Insert what.gif here*
· Sprint will now be interrupted by actions other than dodging.
· Addressed an issue where Eivor would become invisible to AI detection when fast travelling during a dice game.
· Addressed an issue where NPCs may randomly start pirouetting on a Saxon boat. *Whatever floats your boat I guess.*

Abilities, Perks, Skills​

· Addressed an issue where players couldn't perform heavy attacks with Frostruin or Sinner Skull.
· Addressed an issue where Frostruin's perk wouldn't activate even when conditions are met.
· Addressed instances where players were able to open barred doors with the Dive of the Valkyries ability.
· Addressed an issue where the Level 2 Incendiary Power Trap couldn't be detonated a second time when the first trap was set off by an NPC.
· Addressed an issue where Man's Best Friend wouldn't deal any damage to Zealots in some instances. *Good boi.*
· Largely increased Mastery Points cap.

User Interface / HUD​

· Addressed various UI/HUD issues.
· Addressed various localization issues.
· Items that are part of a bundle in the Animus Store will now show the corresponding items in the Details Page.
· Addressed an issue where players could sometimes lose weapons when performing a dual weapon swap.
· Tweaked Reda's Informer icon to make it appear smaller.
· Changed Adrenaline Fiend icon to make it more distinguishable from Adrenaline upgrades.
· Torches/oil jars can now be dropped/put on the ground with Y/Triangle.
· Addressed an issue that allowed players to get the beggar reward several times.
· Addressed an issue where stats wouldn't update after leaving offline mode.
· Addressed an issue where players couldn't interact with Reda anymore.
· Added "OFF" to Quick-Time-Event Input type in the menu. (Turning this option off will allow the game to bypass mashing actions during some boss encounters)
· Addressed an issue with Alpha Animals where players wouldn't be awarded the skill point when animals were not killed by the player.
· Addressed an issue where Opals would not disappear from the map under certain conditions after collection.
· Addressed an issue where Experienced Travelers would unlock locations for the wrong territory.
· Addressed an issue where players wouldn't be able to create or load a manual save anymore.
· Addressed an issue where Layla's laptop couldn't be navigated with Focused navigation.
· Named Cloud saves appropriately.
· Cloud saves will now be named Autosave/Manual/Episode Save CLOUD
· Addressed an issue where Saves could be displayed as corrupt when saving when the internet connection is lost.
· Addressed an issue on where the pathfinder setting resets to Custom after rebooting the game.
· Addressed an issue on where cloud saves could disappear under certain conditions.

Photo Mode​

· Addressed an issue where filters reset to no filter when adjusting other values in Photo Mode.
· Addressed an issue where the Photo Mode camera could get stuck in objects.
· Photo Mode Frames will now function correctly.

System​

· (PC) Addressed an issue with the benchmark tool that caused the tool not to collect data for a moment after unpausing the session.
· (PC) Addressed an issue where VRAM indicators did not correspond with actual VRAM consumption.
· Reduced intensity and duration of the parry rumble. *Controllers go brrrr.*
· (PS5) Addressed an issue on PlayStation®5 where the Season Pass wouldn’t be displayed as OWNED after purchase.

Big update, looks like they fixed the level issues as they should have off the bat so you never get too high in level over an enemy.

Good thing I already finished the game, I hate auto leveling enemies. And what is this nonsense about a time limited event? In a single player game no less? Fuck off with your live service garbage ubi. I play the game when I want to, not when you graciously allow me access to certain content. It's a good thing I haven't bought the game.

Back