Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Gotta admit, Now that I getting into the story more I am enjoying it a little bit better. I feel the game is a little bit more rpgish to me that Odyssey.

Just got to England, and going to take a break......I will admit I think the graphics/art took a little bit of a step backwards, but imo I am a huge fan of Viking lore/history so having fun.
This is exactly how I feel. I love Viking lore which in turn is keeping me more interested.

I think I've seen more bugs in this game than any Fallout game. Holy shit.
Yikes.

Only problem I've had in 12 hours is a whale jumping out of the water and taking another 20 seconds to drop back down. It was pretty damn funny.

I expected a lot more headaches but it's been very smooth going thus far. Sorry that hasn't been the case for you :/

"So far" I haven't run into a lot of bugs. Roughly six hours of gameplay so far. This has probably already happened but just so I feel better: Do be sure to verify the files if you haven't already. It can't hurt.

I’ve had one bug so far: getting stuck in/on terrain and not being able to get out. Had to restart my last save. Other than that it’s been bug-free for me, just an annoyance in the map. Anyone else find the zoom in/out with mouse scroll to be erratic? It zooms ALL the way out in one click or the mouse wheel and ends up south of my character every time. Then zooming back in takes several mouse scroll clicks.

how'd ya pull that off?! ;)
I fast traveled to the boat. This is how it appeared. I was actually standing underwater.
But this is not the only bug that I encountered.
The enemy AI is atrocious. I can walk around them and they won't react, and I don't mean in stealth, during raids.
They'll climb random buildings and just stand there. It's funny when there are a dozen soldiers on top of a small hut for on reason.
Sometimes they run in all the wrong directions making it a pain to hunt them down when the mission is to clear a camp, most likely due to some path-finding bug.
Some of them in the middle of the battle will do nothing just stand at their post like nothing has happened.
When they fight my crew, suddenly out of nowhere they instantly do a 180 turn and hit me instead of the guy they were fighting, even if I'm standing 15 feet away.
None of these issues existed in odyssey. I don't know how can anyone put this on "me being bad at games". I've seen apologists deny reality, but this is a new low.

And no this does not make the game hard, it makes it hard to enjoy. I'm not complaining because the game is too hard, I'm complaining because it's taking two steps backwards in every possible way compared to odyssey.

You didn't answer his assertion of your skill.
His assertion of my skill, that is based on my experience with odyssey where the difficulty setting bugged out. I started playing odyssey on the hard difficulty, but got tired of the level gating, and wanted to defeat an enemy lieutenant a few levels above mine, so I bumped it down to easiest, which for some reason had the opposite effect, and I didn't understand why was it so hard. I managed to defeat the enemy after a few tries and continued playing. But when I changed the difficulty setting back to normal many hours later, the game got much easier.

I'm not saying I'm great at games, but blaming every bug and issue the game has on my skill is some wild denial.

Last edited:
No, I suggest you are bad at games and your post history kinda backs that up.

Its ok to be bad, but to pretend that everyone has the same experience you do is laughable.

I played all three of the latest AC games on the hardest difficulty because frankly, they are too easy.
I don't understand why do you want everyone to have the same experience as you. Can you not like the game without implying that those who take issue with certain bugs and design choices are stupid?

Ubisoft is removing achievements from all future games and replacing them with additional Challenges.

https://discussions.ubisoft.com/top...are-there-no-achievements-on-pc/77?lang=en-US

Looks like Valhalla is the first game to do this.

"Hey guys,

Apologies for some of the misinformation I provided earlier in the thread, this was due to a miscommunication.

Achievements are not not available for this title on PC, and this is an intended change.

Instead of Achievements for new games on Ubisoft Connect, instead we have expanded the Challenges, which provide XP and other rewards in Ubisoft Connect.

We know that this is a big change for a lot of you, and we appreciate your understanding in the matter"

Fine with me, honestly achievements have always been stupid.

I’m kind of addicted to the game. My wife love(s?)d the show Vikings, and I had helped formulate a friend’s numerous scribbles about a Viking saga into an unfinished script, so it was kinda nice to see a lot of what I was expecting, like Fair Hair. I’m curious how they’re gonna portray Rollo, if at all...

But anyway, I can tell the team making this one was not the same team that made Odyssey. It definitely feels like Origins. I am not the biggest fan of the combat, same way I felt about Origins, except ranged combat is working well and that’s my way of cheating out of melee (and staying in stealth). I thought Odyssey got the melee flow down perfectly, if not for also being really tedious. I realize I probably expect too much from combat in AC, but they sure are emphasizing it so I’m gonna criticize.

I much appreciate the improvements to stealth and I have found it to be challenging and fair at the highest difficulty. Especially since I am loathe to engage in certain combat.

I certainly don’t miss all the side quests that piled up in Odyssey, but I also hoped for a little more than Valhalla provides. I might just perceive it wrong at present. Also, I much enjoy the characters more this time around, really digging the VA for male Eivor. Other main characters are pretty good, as well. A few ransoms are spotty but they aren’t breaking my immersion like the Nigerian Egyptian (not gonna lie: He was a good VA but I imagined a coworker every line).

Skill tree so far seems good but I ALSO can’t quite tell clearly what difference my choices are making beyond eventually unlocking the new abilities. Maybe a good thing?

Minus the melee combat I like it very much. Performance is good on my 2080 Ti at 4k after knocking details to High and/or Very High since the differences aren’t highly noticeable beyond frame rate. I think my 5800X helps, too.

If I was to grade it right now I’d give it a B+.

This is definitely like Dragon Age Inquisition's "get out of the Hinterlands." ;)

Tip to all: When you get in this game expedite the main quest until you get to England. That gets you out of the too long prologue. That opens things up. Then you can do whatever you want per your usual AC habits.

So far I'm sailing with a B+ grade as well and I'm expecting that to rise.

I actually enjoyed the battles in odyssey, but I know you'll find some way to deny my experience. LOL

I don't deny you anything, I just find you overly whiny and complaining about everything, assertive that your opinion is king, and frankly I strongly suspect that you are bad at playing games.

I don't understand why do you want everyone to have the same experience as you. Can you not like the game without implying that those who take issue with certain bugs and design choices are stupid?

I don't but you definatly seem too in every thread. Bugs are fine, they exist and can make things range from broken to just janky, but You take your opinion on design choices as some kind of final word on design yet your often wrong, or (primarily) your issue with the design is that you actually fail to adapt to the game and succeed, so it must be a design problem and not user problem.

Heck you argued that running EOL and OOS (end of life and out of service) windows is perfectly acceptable from a security stand point in a business enviroment! You are something else, thats for sure.

A modern design flaw is the red zones in most open world games, enter red zone and get targeted, leave red zone and everything stops. Thats old and bad design that doesn't create an organic experience and is done for simplicity on the designer side. A design flaw is not leaving out customized characters and instead creating a main character with narrative like Geralt, even if you don't like that character it is not a design flaw. A design flaw is also not taking a series away from its stealth heavy origins and moving it firmly into third person ARPG like Valhalla, thats a design decision.

Last edited:
I’m having a lot of fun with this game. I prefer the visuals of a slightly gloomy England to the sunny beaches of Odyssey. Odyssey is a fantastic looking game but England suits me better (rock half-walls, autumn trees, etc.).

Yikes.

Only problem I've had in 12 hours is a whale jumping out of the water and taking another 20 seconds to drop back down. It was pretty damn funny.

I expected a lot more headaches but it's been very smooth going thus far. Sorry that hasn't been the case for you :/
After about 20 hours of gameplay I had a couple of crashes last night. Hopefully it doesn't become more frequent.

I am enjoying the game so far but Odyssey was definitely 1000% more polished.

Last edited:
The AI seems utterly retarded, and that's with the difficulty maxed out.

Just subbed to Uplay+ for this.

*crosses fingers I can live out a virtual Ragnar Lothbrok....

Well, I have to agree with other folks, don't judge the game until you get to England. It vastly improves it in most ways.

Can't wait to get to England but the quest A Cruel Destiny in Norway won't go past the opening cutscene with Sigurd. It keeps returning to the start without giving me any quests to track. Chances are a save from someone else won't work based on Odyssey and Origins. But since the Ubisoft Connect I'm using is a new launcher maybe it would work if anyone knows of one. To get me to the coast of England.

The AI seems utterly retarded, and that's with the difficulty maxed out.
The difficulty only affects their durability not their brains. I don't know how can it be this bad, all they needed to do is use the AI from odyssey and it would've been fine.

I don't find the AI much worse than before. There is at least more weapon/enemy variety now which I like.

Does it seem to take a while to level up to anyone else? Granted, I have only completed the first small island, but in RPGs the first several levels normally come pretty quick.

Quick question, is Ubi good at patching these games? Going to pick it up but want to let it bake for a while... 😁

Leveling seems about right, honestly. The key to leveling faster is making sure you explore and do all the things listed, as that's where all the XP is at.

Quick question, is Ubi good at patching these games? Going to pick it up but want to let it bake for a while... 😁
The series has a good track record at this point, since around Syndicate.

I would think so. I bought Origins and Odyssey well after release and never had any issues with either one. Both were superb. Valhalla is the first one I bought as soon as it released.

Leveling seems about right, honestly. The key to leveling faster is making sure you explore and do all the things listed, as that's where all the XP is at.
All the things listed where? So far I have been making sure to go to all of the yellow markers on the map and complete the quest markers.

So basically the key to levelling is doing all the grind. That's not new.

All the things listed where? So far I have been making sure to go to all of the yellow markers on the map and complete the quest markers.
In raven view mode, or on the map. All the treasures/world events/artifacts. I wouldn't stick around Norway though, it's just a boring slog honestly. Do the stuff in the bottom portion of the map and get out.

So basically the key to levelling is doing all the grind. That's not new.
It's exactly like Odyssey. If you liked how Odyssey did the leveling system it's no different here.

It's exactly like Odyssey. If you liked how Odyssey did the leveling system it's no different here.
I never found Odyssey to be a level grind. Just a materials grind. However, as soon as I got the ship I explored every island and place on the map completely before continuing the main quest. I was way over levelled everywhere I went after the first few islands.

Back