Assassin's Creed Valhalla

I have found that running in fullscreen with Gsync on with my 3090 was the sweet spot for 4k. By doing this, it make the game much smoother than when I tried to run in borderless mode.
Fullscreen had no effect on the massive frame drops for me.

Really wishing I had a 3090 right now, just still impossible to get one unless you are OK with paying over 2k.

The game definitely does not have the polish that Odyssey had. It just looks a bit "off" to me, can't put my finger on it. I turned clouds down to medium and put the rest of the graphics on high. 4k, 60fps limit, full screen. It's definitely choppy on a 9900k and 2080ti. Super unsatisfying feeling.

Had one of those CTDs Rance was talking about. Updated GPU driver Nvidia 1080Ti. Getting the settings dialed in to something realistic. If I'm running the benchmark and I'm seeing overall pretty good and consistent performance but this occasional hitching/stuttering despite G-sync being on what would you think that would be? Just dial down some things some more?

Resolution Scale: Leave this at default 50? I don't want to mess with it.

Had one of those CTDs Rance was talking about. Updated GPU driver Nvidia 1080Ti. Getting the settings dialed in to something realistic. If I'm running the benchmark and I'm seeing overall pretty good and consistent performance but this occasional hitching/stuttering despite G-sync being on what would you think that would be? Just dial down some things some more?

Resolution Scale: Leave this at default 50? I don't want to mess with it.

Hm, I put mine to 100% as I figured I just wanted to play it native 4k. Not happy with performance though that is for sure.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Hm, I put mine to 100% as I figured I just wanted to play it native 4k. Not happy with performance though that is for sure.

Ok. I wasn't sure how to handle that thing. I figured "default usually is best" but I guess not.

The inevitable "needs some optimization drivers and patch update" is usually a given for any of these games.

Last edited:
I can do 4K native OK on my 2080ti by just lowering shadows, AA, and clouds. That also eliminated most of the stuttering.

It's running great on my 1080ti @ 1440. From what I saw of Odyssey settings videos there's rarely much of a difference using High versus Ultra High so I went with that preset and reduced volumetric clouds to a couple settings lower.

Looking back over the water at a huge open scene I turned clouds back on to ultra high and saw no impact to my frame rate. Dropped it to medium and it barely went up. Maybe they finally figured that out? I was expecting an immediate drop or boost and it didn't happen when I messed around with them.

Gysnc works wonders, though.

Regarding the game the setting is wonderful so far. I stumbled into a pack of polar bears early, aggro'd them into other enemies and watched them slaughter those hapless fools right off of their horses...then they continued to chase me for about a mile. I was terrified.

But I really like it so far. No issues other than poor frame rates in cutscenes

I have no performance issues, but the game is dragging on and on and on. Played 3 hours and I'm still doing the prologue / tutorial, even though I didn't go out of my way to explore just did the main quests that I absolutely had to. I'm absolutely at the breaking point now, yet the game still refuses to let me go my own way.

It's running great on my 1080ti @ 1440. From what I saw of Odyssey settings videos there's rarely much of a difference using High versus Ultra High so I went with that preset and reduced volumetric clouds to a couple settings lower.

Looking back over the water at a huge open scene I turned clouds back on to ultra high and saw no impact to my frame rate. Dropped it to medium and it barely went up. Maybe they finally figured that out? I was expecting an immediate drop or boost and it didn't happen when I messed around with them.

Gysnc works wonders, though.

Regarding the game the setting is wonderful so far. I stumbled into a pack of polar bears early, aggro'd them into other enemies and watched them slaughter those hapless fools right off of their horses...then they continued to chase me for about a mile. I was terrified.

But I really like it so far. No issues other than poor frame rates in cutscenes

Yeah I really need that 3090 now for HDMI 2.1 to take advantage of 120hz on my OLED. I'll turn AA down and see how I fare. I left that on max, I'm sure that is the culprit.

Yeah I really need that 3090 now for HDMI 2.1 to take advantage of 120hz on my OLED. I'll turn AA down and see how I fare. I left that on max, I'm sure that is the culprit.
AA kills on this game. Lowering it helps a ton, and honestly at 4k I don't see much difference between low and high anyways.

AA kills on this game. Lowering it helps a ton, and honestly at 4k I don't see much difference between low and high anyways.
Yeah makes sense, going to try now. I just kind of copied what I did in Odyssey, obviously a bit different here. I remember the volumetric clouds being the biggest frame rate issue in the last game.

Yeah makes sense, going to try now. I just kind of copied what I did in Odyssey, obviously a bit different here. I remember the volumetric clouds being the biggest frame rate issue in the last game.
Yeah, with AA low, and shadows/clouds set to Medium, everything else can be maxed out I find with reasonable performance at 4k.

I did try playing with the resolution scaling, and while I didn't do it, it was very difficult to detect the difference between 90% and 100% render. This gives a decent FPS bump as well.

Sorry to say but I don't like the game. Everything is worse than in Odyssey. Why? The controls are a mess, been struggling with the layout since start, no matter how I change it it just doesn't feel right. There are too many functions, too many keys, literally all the letter keys on the keyboard are mapped to something. If I change A to be more reachable, than I can't use B properly, it sucks. Guess I'm going back to play Watch Dogs Legion, at this point this game feels like a bust.

Controls are almost exactly the same as Odyssey, so I don't agree with you there.

Although I do agree the game itself is worse. I just don't think controls/combat is one of them.

Sorry to say but I don't like the game. Everything is worse than in Odyssey. Why? The controls are a mess, been struggling with the layout since start, no matter how I change it it just doesn't feel right. There are too many functions, too many keys, literally all the letter keys on the keyboard are mapped to something. If I change A to be more reachable, than I can't use B properly, it sucks. Guess I'm going back to play Watch Dogs Legion, at this point this game feels like a bust.

Odyssey was my GOTY the year it came out, I knew this game would have to be nearly perfect to live up to it. I'm going to give it a solid 20 hours before I make a determination, but early on I my initial thoughts are that it doesn't quite stack up which is a shame because it's literally the best (in my opinion) time period to place a game in this series. Hopefully I warm up to it over the next couple of days, but if not, I'll definitely be glad I went the Uplay+ route over buying a copy of the Ultimate Edition.

Reactions: M76
like this
For the control issues, you probably don't want to hear this, but the game really is best experienced with a controller.

In terms of the game so far, I'm still going through the prologue. Looking forward to the world opening up more but I have also enjoyed just soaking in the atmosphere and world lore. I haven't warmed up to the combat yet, but that is only because I have been playing a lot of Shadow of War recently. I much prefer the setting and characters to Odyssey. I kinda wanted to punch Alexios in the face fairly regularly.

In terms of performance, my main gripe is the terrible frame rates / stuttering in cutscenes. Definitely needs more optimization patches.

Also, yay for dismemberment!

For the control issues, you probably don't want to hear this, but the game really is best experienced with a controller.

In terms of the game so far, I'm still going through the prologue. Looking forward to the world opening up more but I have also enjoyed just soaking in the atmosphere and world lore. I haven't warmed up to the combat yet, but that is only because I have been playing a lot of Shadow of War recently. I much prefer the setting and characters to Odyssey. I kinda wanted to punch Alexios in the face fairly regularly.

In terms of performance, my main gripe is the terrible frame rates / stuttering in cutscenes. Definitely needs more optimization patches.

Also, yay for dismemberment!

It's funny because of all the things I remember about Odyssey...I can't for the life of me remember if I played the game with kb+m or my xbox controller. I will say TYPICALLY I tend to lean towards kb+m when aiming is involved and I like playing very bow heavy in most games when it's available. I haven't been particularly bothered too much yet by the kb+m layout but as M76 said there are a lot of keys in use it seems.

If I remember correctly in Odyssey heavy attack was just holding the attack longer, here it is shift left click which is completely stupid imo. And I cannot properly assign it anywhere else, because everything and more is used already. There is a "secondary attack" and even a separate "Special Attack" It's just out of hand. Dodge is ALT by default which just felt weird to me, so I re-assigned it to space, but then jumping and climbing gets unassigned, and if I put that to alt, then that's not in reach, it's a catch 22.

So far the scenery is not inviting at all, I don't really feel like exploring, especially since there is no loot to speak of. I've played 4 hours now and yet to find the first actual loot, like a weapon on armor. It's all about gathering resources to upgrade your settlement. The whole settlement idea is just a pain in the neck and an unnecessary distraction. Much like in Far Cry New Dawn. And I'm yet to properly assassin. The game forces you to raid, which means open battles, no stealth, no stalking, no stealth kills, just randomly spawning enemies from thin air.

And the combat is a mess too. Enemy is facing away from me, attacking random soldier, but when I Try to attack it suddenly hits me instead out of the blue, no warning, no time to dodge or react. Attacks come out of nowhere generally and almost impossible to dodge, and health doesn't regen so you are constantly on a back leg. Towards the end of the raid it's a gamble if the last enemy will kill you or not. And if it does, then the whole fucking raid resets and you have to start from square1. It's extremely annoying.

I could do without the whole raid and settlement misery, maybe then I could start to find and appreciate things that are actually good in the game.

If I remember correctly in Odyssey heavy attack was just holding the attack longer, here it is shift left click which is completely stupid imo. And I cannot properly assign it anywhere else, because everything and more is used already. There is a "secondary attack" and even a separate "Special Attack" It's just out of hand. Dodge is ALT by default which just felt weird to me, so I re-assigned it to space, but then jumping and climbing gets unassigned, and if I put that to alt, then that's not in reach, it's a catch 22.

So far the scenery is not inviting at all, I don't really feel like exploring, especially since there is no loot to speak of. I've played 4 hours now and yet to find the first actual loot, like a weapon on armor. It's all about gathering resources to upgrade your settlement. The whole settlement idea is just a pain in the neck and an unnecessary distraction. Much like in Far Cry New Dawn. And I'm yet to properly assassin. The game forces you to raid, which means open battles, no stealth, no stalking, no stealth kills, just randomly spawning enemies from thin air.

And the combat is a mess too. Enemy is facing away from me, attacking random soldier, but when I Try to attack it suddenly hits me instead out of the blue, no warning, no time to dodge or react. Attacks come out of nowhere generally and almost impossible to dodge, and health doesn't regen so you are constantly on a back leg. Towards the end of the raid it's a gamble if the last enemy will kill you or not. And if it does, then the whole fucking raid resets and you have to start from square1. It's extremely annoying.

I could do without the whole raid and settlement misery, maybe then I could start to find and appreciate things that are actually good in the game.
Remap dodge to the spacebar and leave it also mapped to vault/climb. The game will give you a warning about conflicting controls but it will still work. And the heavy attack in Odyssey was also set by default to shift + LMB.

Alright so here are some of the provided benchmarks that I just ran.

The first is what I was originally playing on: the game defaulted to ultra high, i dropped it to high and reduced the clouds to medium (as there is no lower setting) along with uncapping the framerate, setting monitor refresh to 144hz and turning vsync off but after the run I noticed my resolution scale was 80%
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Screenshot 2020.11.10 - 15.24.07.51.png

Second benchmark is exactly the same but resolution scale to 100%
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Screenshot 2020.11.10 - 15.27.04.65.png

3rd is the same as the second one but with AA turned off
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Screenshot 2020.11.10 - 15.30.11.35.png

And the fourth is with the same settings as #3 (100% res scale, no AA) but with volumetric clouds set to ultra high. Shadows on all four benchmarks, in case you're wondering, is set to High:
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Screenshot 2020.11.10 - 15.32.55.81.png

like this

The first is what I was originally playing on: the game defaulted to ultra high, i dropped it to high and reduced the clouds to medium (as there is no lower setting) along with uncapping the framerate, setting monitor refresh to 144hz and turning vsync off but after the run I noticed my resolution scale was 80%
View attachment 297816

View attachment 297817

View attachment 297819

And the fourth is with the same settings as #3 (100% res scale, no AA) but with volumetric clouds set to ultra high. Shadows on all four benchmarks, in case you're wondering, is set to High:
View attachment 297821
I might have to turn up volumetric clouds

Remap dodge to the spacebar and leave it also mapped to vault/climb. The game will give you a warning about conflicting controls but it will still work. And the heavy attack in Odyssey was also set by default to shift + LMB.
I'll have to check out the default controls from odyssey and replicate those as that worked for me. ALT is just not a key I can utilize.

I might have to turn up volumetric clouds

My guess is that in the regular game it will have more of an impact than the benchmark but I would have expected a bigger difference especially compared to what was seen with Odyssey

View attachment 297816

View attachment 297817

View attachment 297819

View attachment 297821
Thanks for all this. I'm at 4K on a 1080ti and I am getting thing settled in.

For grins I took the AA from high down to medium and to my eyes I thought things looked noticeably crisper and less soft which makes me wonder what AA this game is using at least for that high setting.

The volumetric clouds are one of those things where a lot of the time there is very little impact, but when there is.. there is, and it can be a noticeable hit.

like this
Alt is not going to work for me on dodge, either. I may switch to controller for this.

Alt is not going to work for me on dodge, either. I may switch to controller for this.
It's almost exactly the same as Odyssey, and with the way it works controller seems to feel better. I can't imagine playing a game like this on keyboard, personally.

like this
It's almost exactly the same as Odyssey, and with the way it works controller seems to feel better. I can't imagine playing a game like this on keyboard, personally.
Yeah I switched this evening and I definitely enjoy the controller better. I will say the combat doesn't feel quite as polished, at least early on. Not sure if skills help later, but there seems to be delays or sometimes a "strong attack" won't execute when I hit the button.

But I'm enjoying it more than my initial thoughts after a few hours. I only put down the controller because my wife forced me to.

Thanks for all this. I'm at 4K on a 1080ti and I am getting thing settled in.

For grins I took the AA from high down to medium and to my eyes I thought things looked noticeably crisper and less soft which makes me wonder what AA this game is using at least for that high setting.
Same, I'm actually much happier with the visual quality without AA on and 1:1 resolution scale

Probably my favourite part of the game so far...
...was encountering a couple who had lost the romantic flame in their marriage. So they asked me to help create the sense of being in a raid to get their sexual juices flowing by smashing things in their house. That didn't work for them so then they asked me to set their house on fire... And I obliged :ROFLMAO:

Is anybody fluent in sjw?

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1325921529679458308

What's wrong with a character having facial burns?
what's wrong is that they apologized for it and promised to remove it. What's next? Someone gets offended the game has graphics and that's offensive to blind people? And ubisoft will remove graphics from the game, and turn it into a narrated text adventure, but that is offensive to deaf people! Sorry, we'll remove all audio (which ironically they did by accident on launch).

what's wrong is that they apologized for it and promised to remove it. What's next? Someone gets offended the game has graphics and that's offensive to blind people? And ubisoft will remove graphics from the game, and turn it into a narrated text adventure, but that is offensive to deaf people! Sorry, we'll remove all audio (which ironically they did by accident on launch).

These companies need to grow a spine and simply ignore perpetual whiners like this....do they actually think their paying customers give a flying fuck about such stupidity?!

I'm enjoying the game so far; not as much as Odyssey yet but it's been pretty entertaining. Playing on Berserker difficulty and the hardest Assassin and Exploration difficulty levels and it feels quite easy but it is early yet. I've not done a whole lot of combat yet but it felt off for some reason or another. IMO the graphics aren't much (if any) better than Odyssey and the audio sounds really flat at times. I've had two BSODs pointing out Memory Management so far in the 3 or so hours that I've played.

Also while the benchmark stutters a ton the actual game has been butter smooth.

I'm enjoying the game so far; not as much as Odyssey yet but it's been pretty entertaining. Playing on Berserker difficulty and the hardest Assassin and Exploration difficulty levels and it feels quite easy but it is early yet. I've not done a whole lot of combat yet but it felt off for some reason or another. IMO the graphics aren't much (if any) better than Odyssey and the audio sounds really flat at times. I've had two BSODs pointing out Memory Management so far in the 3 or so hours that I've played.

Also while the benchmark stutters a ton the actual game has been butter smooth.
The poly count in some scenes is substantially higher than Odyssey. The game just doesn’t look as good because it’s just such a dreary environment. Odyssey just looked so great artistically, and everything was so colorful.

Thank you! I’ve been waiting for this. Game looks great but ive been running it at reduced settings and 90% resolution scale. I never run games at reduced resolution but this one looks good at 4K (x 0.9). Game makes me want to upgrade to a 3090/6900XT and an LG CX OLED screen....

like this
Back