Assassin's Creed - Ubisoft spying on you?...

spicey

Supreme [H]ardness
Apparently Assassin's Creed is spying on you. Every 75 seconds there is internet traffic to Ontario Canada. http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...ssins-creed-on-the-pc-bad-ui-bad-drm-bad-port

In game freezing problems are caused by internet access. Thread here and solution http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/6221002056/p/1

More info here on artifacts and crashing issues. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/3211040056/p/1

I have experienced the crashing in game, it's regular. It is crashing to desktop. The red artifacts issue is a major problem with with 8800GT cards, the forums are inundated with problems.

I can't say I'm surprised. It's Ubisoft...
Just another crappy console port. Oh right, it's piracy blah blah blah...not the quality of our games blah blah blah :rolleyes:

I have experianced zero of the above problems. I have had zero crashes. Maybe I'm lucky? I have no idea if your version is legit or not, but if it isn't I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the game sending your CC numbers to canada...

I have experianced zero of the above problems. I have had zero crashes. Maybe I'm lucky? I have no idea if your version is legit or not, but if it isn't I wouldn't be surprised if it was just the game sending your CC numbers to canada...

I'm guessing you didn't read the links in the OP, but the cracked versions obviously do not "phone home", so only anyone that legitimately bought the game, and by your owns words, is getting "their CC numbers sent to Canada".

I'm waiting to hear about install limits and it's Bioshock all over again. Maybe Ubisoft took some lessons from 2K. Console port, "phoning home" feature, stability issues...

And I'm sure you realize that because you don't have problems, it doesn't mean they don't exist. I also never had problems with STALKER, but it was a buggy game prior to the patches.

OMGZ SUPPORT THA DEVELEPERS GUYZ, DEY NEEDZ OUR MONEYZ.

Yeah...... I'm really chomping at the bit to support anything Ubisoft touches, yupyupyup.

hehe, software firewall are you friends.
I posted this in the networking people sometime ago, and got the weird eye.

but unless you have a proxy server or a software firewall, you dont know half the stuff that "phones home"

you can just deny any and all internet access for the 2 .exe files in the AC folder.

hehe, software firewall are you friends.
I posted this in the networking people sometime ago, and got the weird eye.

but unless you have a proxy server or a software firewall, you dont know half the stuff that "phones home"

you can just deny any and all internet access for the 2 .exe files in the AC folder.

true.

I just do not let any games on my hd except for cod4 atm. sad. I have a $1500 pc for ONE game.

sigh

going to be a FS thread soon if things do not improve DRAMATICALLY.

I can't say I'm surprised. It's Ubisoft...
Just another crappy console port. Oh right, it's piracy blah blah blah...not the quality of our games blah blah blah :rolleyes:

So true. Regarding the 8800GT red artifacts, I've never gotten any myself. 100% working, no crashes here.

Anyone else notice how much the game looks and feels like Splinter Cell? The control scheme, animations, everything ...

true.

I just do not let any games on my hd except for cod4 atm. sad. I have a $1500 pc for ONE game.

sigh

pm me if you do, i might be interested.

i wanted to know what all the fuss is all about.
for now im mainly in CSS and a bit of TF2 for variety, with an occasional RTS just for fun.

I have yet to purchase this game. Which I probably won't until I get a widescreen monitor. However the game can try to contact home office whenever it wants, because theres no active connection! Eat that.

I have yet to purchase this game. Which I probably won't until I get a widescreen monitor. However the game can try to contact home office whenever it wants, because theres no active connection! Eat that.

Yeah, I think it's a must to have a widescreen with this game. The 16:9 aspect ratio looks odd on a non widescreen

mmmmnooooo

:rolleyes:

wait for it.... waaaaait for iiiit.....

. waaaait...

you mean the same ubi soft that made splinter cell made assassins creed? and both games are over the shoulder style action games?

nnooooooooo, why would they copy their own super successful game?

(sorry had to play along)

. waaaait...

you mean the same ubi soft that made splinter cell made assassins creed? and both games are over the shoulder style action games?

I'm just sick of Ubisoft recycling everything. Can't they create something original? Sigh ...

true.

sigh

Why don't you try creating? Make a map, model a new weapon, join a mod team, anything! No offense, but if you spend loads on a super PC and do nothing but play games, then you are being a leech, contributing nothing to the community. You might as well be a *gasp* console gamer.

PC's are such powerful machines, you can write a god damn game from scratch if you had the motivation. And yet so much of that potential goes to waste because people do nothing but play. All play and no work make Johnny an unproductive and unfulfilled boy. :(

Seriously though, making a nice map or a killer mod will get you right out of that rut that you seem to be stuck in.

. waaaait...

I hope your joking. A over the shoulder camera suddenly makes these two games the same? One is truly about stealth, the other barely uses stealth. The animations in assassins creed are some of the best I've seen in a video game in years. Are we talking about...crouching being copied? One is open ended. One has guns and one has swords. Laughing! There is a whole complete different feel of the games other than a camera placement.

This internet traffic only happens when the game is running correct?

This Assassin's Creed Tweak Guide details how to disable it from connecting except to auto-update a patch when released.
Freezing/Stuttering/Crashes: For users experiencing noticeable freezing/stuttering or odd crashes, you should keep in mind that Assassin's Creed is very stressful on most every system. It maxes out both cores of dual core CPUs, it pushes the GPU quite hard, and even seemingly "stable" systems will experience crashes unless correctly configured. I strongly urge you to take the time to go through the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion to be certain you have an optimal and stable system setup. In my many hours of playing and testing Assassin's Creed, I have not crashed once, so it is not normal for the game to crash on all systems. However there is one specific fix you can try which may help - it appears that preventing the game executable from regularly (and unnecessarily) accessing the Internet can help stability and performance. If you're using the Windows Firewall, open it (Control Panel>Windows Firewall), then under the Exceptions tab untick both the Assassin's Creed DX10 and Assassin's Creed DX9 exceptions - these are not necessary whatsoever. Only the Assassin's Creed Update exception needs to be left ticked, so that the game's updater can contact its server at startup.

this is why a software firewall is a must. I never ever let single player games access the internet, Comodo FTW.

this is why a software firewall is a must. I never ever let single player games access the internet, Comodo FTW.

With Bioshock, if you don't let it, after you've installed it, you simply won't be able to play. No version has the exe file available through the usual install process.

Why don't you try creating? Make a map, model a new weapon, join a mod team, anything! No offense, but if you spend loads on a super PC and do nothing but play games, then you are being a leech, contributing nothing to the community. You might as well be a *gasp* console gamer.

PC's are such powerful machines, you can write a god damn game from scratch if you had the motivation. And yet so much of that potential goes to waste because people do nothing but play. All play and no work make Johnny an unproductive and unfulfilled boy. :(

Seriously though, making a nice map or a killer mod will get you right out of that rut that you seem to be stuck in.

you know what I do with my spare time and this uber powerful machine?

help people on a forum (i think you know it very very well) with their computer software and hardware woes.

With Bioshock, if you don't let it, after you've installed it, you simply won't be able to play. No version has the exe file available through the usual install process.

heh, and its not easy to get rid of either. Last I checked it was a rootkit right?

if i was creative i would write a song to "harder better faster stronger" involving cracking the games you already bought.

heh, and its not easy to get rid of either. Last I checked it was a rootkit right?

SecuROM in Bioshock is not a rootkit, but it does have rootkit like behavior. But the lack of the exe in any Bioshock version (retail or Steam) is actually not enforced by SecuROM. SecuROM "only" enforces install limits.

The guys behind the brilliant idea of making the DVD a paperweight, were the publishers and developers, that thought that downloading the exe, after installing the rest of the game's files, was a good idea. When the servers that supply the exe are down, no more Bioshock for anyone. That actually happened in the first couple of days after Bioshock's release, which meant that anyone that bought the game on release day, couldn't play the game they payed for. This ultimately led to finding the remaining "hidden Bioshock features", such as install limits.

This Assassin's Creed Tweak Guide details how to disable it from connecting except to auto-update a patch when released.

Thanks, Kowan. This is a very useful guide.

I'll try the Windows Firewall tweak as I'm tired of powering down my router each time I run Assassin's Creed!

The crashing still occurs but less frequently if Internet is disabled. I think this game has some major stability issues.

I would also say my PC has been pretty rock solid stable until this game came along... so perhaps it is the game and not my set-up, or perhaps it is the combination of hardware.

I read elsewhere that Ubisoft are using this facility to monitor how widespread piracy is for this title and if Assassin's Creed 2 will be a viable option...:eek:

I just don't understand these companies. I was on the fence about buying this game for my pc, and now I won't.

Phone home? Over MY internet connection that I'M paying for? Seems to me this is fraud or extortion or something for some scumb bag ambulance chaser to think up to sue for.

Nope, not giving Ubi my money for this game, and I'll turn my head when I see others pirate it.

cant they spend their money on what they want? how does this affect you in any way?

it is quite saddening to see people complain about how others spend their own money, seriously unless it came out of you funds then quiet down!

Back