Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

I'm pretty damned happy with this. Very impressed.

Ubisoft really did right by this, folks. Seriously. Put the pitchforks down.

The ability to switch between the two characters and that grappling hook launcher (Batman Arkham series style) has really freshened this game up big time. I didn't expect AC: Syndicate to be this good! :D

How's it compare to Black Flag?

The videos make it look like more of the same ole same ole and not a breathe of fresh air like black flag was.

Have you played the travesty that was Unity?

Yup.. beat it and the DLC and all coop missions. My favorite AC game with ease.. ( i hate all the other ones after 2. )

It's nice when PC games push the limits of top end hardware. But sadly they are called unoptimized games. Then all the internet band wagoners jump onboard.

They expect there video cards to run next gen games at max AA and Ultra settings at 1440p 60fps. Which is not surprising since alot of games did for awhile.

As naticus said. If you scale some settings back the game runs very good and looks gorgeous. Unity and Syndicate use the same engine mind you.

Yup.. beat it and the DLC and all coop missions. My favorite AC game with ease.. ( i hate all the other ones after 2. )

It's nice when PC games push the limits of top end hardware. But sadly they are called unoptimized games. Then all the internet band wagoners jump onboard.

They expect there video cards to run next gen games at max AA and Ultra settings at 1440p 60fps. Which is not surprising since alot of games did for awhile.

As naticus said. If you scale some settings back the game runs very good and looks gorgeous. Unity and Syndicate use the same engine mind you.

Hardware had nothing to do with it, Unity was fucking broken at release for many people.

They even "patched" it by removing the npc draw distances and crap.

Hardware had nothing to do with it, Unity was fucking broken at release for many people.

Link?

And yes hardware does have something to do with it. It's an open world demanding game. Potato hardware will struggle on this game.

Ignore him. According to Dion no game is ever broken and everything works perfectly. Anyone that has problems must have a shitty system unlike his god machine.

Ignore him. According to Dion no game is ever broken and everything works perfectly. Anyone that has problems must have a shitty system unlike his god machine.

Anyone with a i5 2500k + 970 or greater can handle unity fine. My system does not have special powers. Stop making up shit to justify your arguments.

Anyone with a i5 2500k + 970 or greater can handle unity fine. My system does not have special powers.

Unity was a mess on release, dude. Was it overblown a bit? Of course it was, but that doesn't mean it was in good shape. People with freaking Titan Xs had trouble with the game. Ubisoft would not have responded the way they did if the game wasn't broken.

Link?

And yes hardware does have something to do with it. It's an open world demanding game. Potato hardware will struggle on this game.

my bad on the npc patch, it seems it was for ps4/xbone, not sure of pc.
http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/12/assassins-creed-unity-update-makes-npc-pop-worse/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=953665

The hardware side I was referring to the glitches and other broken things.

When I played it on pc (never finished it) I encountered numerous glitches, falling through things, getting stuck, co op not working, etc.

There's a reason many people gave unity terrible reviews and it wasn't all bandwagon.

On top of this their patch after release? Did they quickly patch any game breaking issues? No, they patched a fix for their real world money currency in game.

Unity was a mess on release, dude. Was it overblown a bit? Of course it was, but that doesn't mean it was in good shape. People with freaking Titan Xs had trouble with the game. Ubisoft would not have responded the way they did if the game wasn't broken.

I never said the game was perfect. Bugs? sure what game doesn't. But there is NO fucking way a titan could not handle this game. They probably had AA maxed which is a massive FPS killer.

When I played it on pc (never finished it) I encountered numerous glitches, falling through things, getting stuck, co op not working, etc.

I never said the game didn't have bugs. ( I didn't encounter many. But my coop friend did. ) The discussion at hand was performance. People expect there hardware to max every game. It just isn't gonna happen with next gen games. Shit to this day Witcher 2 on Absolute max is even still taxing.. Alot of it is placebo but that's besides the point. People need to learn the limits of there hardware before going around saying its performance isn't optimized.

I never said the game was perfect. Bugs? sure what game doesn't. But there is NO fucking way a titan could not handle this game. They probably had AA maxed which is a massive FPS killer.

There's a difference from usual open world jank and what Unity was on release. Remember, Unity was enough of a mess for Ubisoft to cancel the season pass in order to devote resources to fixing it. They did a really good job on that too.

Anyone with a i5 2500k + 970 or greater can handle unity fine. My system does not have special powers. Stop making up shit to justify your arguments.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014..._performance_video_card_review/7#.Vk7Hlr8hhCA

"Assassin's Creed Unity performed terrible at launch. Thanks to the recent patch 1.4.0 it is a little "less terrible," but it is still not very good. This game is poorly optimized, if at all, and performs worse than it should on the latest generation of video cards. Even with SLI you cannot maximize the graphics settings at 1440p with TXAA, one of the added NVIDIA features in the game. This is sad. "

Have you played the travesty that was Unity?

Have you considered that we as humans possess the unique ability and brainpower to judge things on a case by case basis, rather than just kneejerking "hurr Ubisoft" because some bandwagon of kiddies on the internet think they're part of some great big "outrage movement" that's "totally catching on"?

Last edited:
There's a difference from usual open world jank and what Unity was on release. Remember, Unity was enough of a mess for Ubisoft to cancel the season pass in order to devote resources to fixing it. They did a really good job on that too.

Damage is already done at that point. No one is gonna buy a Season Pass for a game they think is broken. If I ran the company I would do the same thing. It would be a waste of company money at that point.

But it resulted in a free DLC for me. So at least one positive thing came out of it.

I think a big part of the Unity issue was that the consoles were consistently running in the 20-25fps range for much of the game. Unity was also pretty rough the first couple of weeks. I had some crash issues when reaching certain zones in the map etc. But Nvidia released an updated driver and after that Unity ran great for me. Though the big issue with that game was also the drastic performance hit that anything other than FXAA had on even high end cards. It also didn't help that Unity ate VRAM and at that time very few people were aware of the GTX 970 ram issues. So for the first couple of weeks it was a perfect storm.

Syndicate on the other hand runs almost flawlessly for me and I think it may be the best looking open world game ever made. It's really good so far and I recommend it.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014..._performance_video_card_review/7#.Vk7Hlr8hhCA

"Assassin's Creed Unity performed terrible at launch. Thanks to the recent patch 1.4.0 it is a little "less terrible," but it is still not very good. This game is poorly optimized, if at all, and performs worse than it should on the latest generation of video cards. Even with SLI you cannot maximize the graphics settings at 1440p with TXAA, one of the added NVIDIA features in the game. This is sad. "

Bullshit on the system in signature I can maxout unity at 4k.
I can't even maxout syndicate at 1080p.

Guys Dunno if this has been mention before but holy shit, this game supports 16:10 I mean wow how did they get the man power to be able to support that;). on a more serious point game is great so far.

So it's > Unity, but never saw how it rates vs Black Flag?

I am on the fence here as Unity was a boring bust to me.....

Would love to see a future game set in Japan with like Ninjas and shit. Talk about epic fun and change of pace.

Except for missing the ship component at least as good IMHO.

Would love to see a future game set in Japan with like Ninjas and shit. Talk about epic fun and change of pace.

That would be sweet. It's been implied and teased more than once in this series. They know everyone wants it.

Graphically I didn't think I'd see a game any time soon that would hang with Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Phantom Pain but here it is.

For me, Black Flag is still the best AC to-date. However I have seen quite a few of the diehard AC fans saying Syndicate is the best second to AC2.

From my observations on influence of different options on FPS - clocked my 980 Ti to 1467 first then climbed on the rooftops over crowded street. Punched highest settings - PCSS+, MSAAx4, HBAO+Ultra - got from 36 to 39 FPS. Changing MSAA to TXAA gave no FPS change. VRAM required for those settings is 4,5 GB.

Now, dropped shadows to PCSS and it "just" requires 3950MB VRAM, but FPS gains are minimal - and they vary from 42 to 45. Dropping shadows to high, raised FPS to 48-50 (3700 VRAM needed). HBAO+ (and also 3700 VRAM required) got me to 58-60 FPS range. Dropping MSAA from x4 to x2 brought range of 61-65 FPS and it "just" takes 3300MB VRAM.

With MXAAx2, and shadows at PCSS Ultra and HBAO+Ultra, I get 41 FPS (VRAM required is 4071 MB). Dropping those two settings ffrom ultra to "normal" PCSS and HBAO+ nets 58-60FPS (3525MB of VRAM are used). Pushing down shadows quality to high gives me 65 FPS (3375 VRAM taken).

Also, I set the settings to lowest, and it shows sad truth - if you have 2GB VRAM on video card, you won't be able to play 1440p, as game requires 2,4 GB VRAM for this resolution.

Well, I decided to keep bit of eye candy over fluidity, so I'm rocking TXAAx2 (can't see difference between x2 and x4), with PCSS and HBAO+Ultra for 50 FPS. (not much difference between PCSS and PCSS Ultra, but I can see that PCSS looks better than high shadows).

I'm convinced the idea of a Japanese setting with Ninjas and Samurais will be reserved for their swan song or some kind of desperation move in the event of another Unity.

I'm convinced the idea of a Japanese setting with Ninjas and Samurais will be reserved for their swan song or some kind of desperation move in the event of another Unity.
It's too late, the series is always moving forward thru time.
The next game will be mid/early 1900's. They will replace the horse carriages with actual cars.

Eventually they will make a futuristic Assassin's Creed and that will end the series.

I just started playing black flag a month ago on PC. Haven't played an Assassins creed title for a while. I'm taking a break to play fallout now, however I was enjoying it. I was a little disappointed in the environments, they seemed rather bland for the most part. I liked the towns in assassins creed 1 and 2 more. However the ship element is very fun. I'll go back and finish it in a month or two after FO4. Maybe I'll check out syndicate afterwards.

For me, Black Flag is still the best AC to-date. However I have seen quite a few of the diehard AC fans saying Syndicate is the best second to AC2.

Black Flag was amazing. So much so that I sort of wish it wasn't an Assassins Creed game. I wish it were it's own franchise so that we could get more if it.

The Titan X wasn't released until after Unity came out, and by that time, most of the performance problems were taken care of.

(I'm still waiting on Syndicate though, as apparently I ordered the physical edition instead of the download edition from the uplay store).

Black Flag was amazing. So much so that I sort of wish it wasn't an Assassins Creed game. I wish it were it's own franchise so that we could get more if it.

If you liked Black Flag (and its expansion of course, Freedom Cry), then play Assassin's Creed: Rogue. It has a refinement of the same sort of gameplay, including the ship based elements. Unity itself wasn't a bad game (except for the stuff linked to the mobile app which had both some puzzles and some "hurry up and wait" mobile style gameplay . That was frustrating, but completely optional and didn't grant any storyline/lore stuff or important in-game items); maybe I've just gotten lucky but I didn't have any technical problems with it (nor Arkham Knight, really. Both should have run a bit faster, but overall they were very playable with eye candy turned on...on my AMD R9 290X!). Unity and Rogue have aspects of their stories that intertwine slightly. Technically, Rogue is closer to AC4 than Unity as it is made on the "older" engine. For instance, Unity and (I am presuming Syndicate) have the more fluid movement system, more in-depth and difficult combat system, and crowded cities, where Rogue is more like AC4 and older AC titles.

Overall, I've enjoyed most of the AC titles for what they are and I look forward to Syndicate as well.

Have you considered that we as humans possess the unique ability and brainpower to judge things on a case by case basis, rather than just kneejerking "hurr Ubisoft" because some bandwagon of kiddies on the internet think they're part of some great big "outrage movement" that's "totally catching on"?

Yes, because everyone has all the money and time in the world to test every game in existence to see if it's a good game or not.:rolleyes: Past precedence is a thing that can be good to judge by. I never said that Syndicate is bad. But it's predecessor doesn't exactly scream confidence.

Oh yes, I know the king slaughtered our family with his last decision, but maybe the next word to come out from his mouth is that all the money in his treasury will come to us!

Glad to hear Syndicate is good. Look forward to playing it in a few months.

Black Flag was freaking amazing to me, so preordered Unity without a second thought. Really changed pc gaming for me. Never preorder, never buy at release anymore. I wait for games to be $20 or less and fully patched.

Black Flag was my favorite AC after #2. I loved it, PC technical glitches and all. I dumped so, so much time into that game and enjoyed nearly every minute of it. The pirate elements added so much that the game probably could have been a stand-alone without the AC name.
With Unity, I got it for "free" via the Nvidia GTX980 promo coupon. Even once they fixed it I still never actually enjoyed the game. The gameplay has just become stale. It literally introduced nothing new at all. The graphics were better and crowds had more people...and that's really it. It also introduced an odd visual style that sometimes looks a little washed out. Syndicate also has it. I don't really like or understand the point of it. It's like the color palette has a haze over it.
From what I've seen of this one, it looks like they at least added a few new mechanical additions and the plot isn't so stale. I have no plans to buy it right now, but if it's 1/2 off or less, I might go for it.

Yes, because everyone has all the money and time in the world to test every game in existence to see if it's a good game or not.:rolleyes: Past precedence is a thing that can be good to judge by. I never said that Syndicate is bad. But it's predecessor doesn't exactly scream confidence.

Oh yes, I know the king slaughtered our family with his last decision, but maybe the next word to come out from his mouth is that all the money in his treasury will come to us!

You don't need 'all the time in the world' to see if a game is good. You only need 10 seconds to look at an aggregate of critic and user reviews to see which way the wind is blowing.

Seems like some people are just disappointed that this game doesn't support the "UBISUXX" bandwagon narrative.

Last edited:
You don't need 'all the time in the world' to see if a game is good. You only need 10 seconds to look at an aggregate of critic and user reviews to see which way the wind is blowing.

Seems like some people are just disappointed that this game doesn't support the "UBISUXX" bandwagon narrative.
They always have the UPlay narrative to fall back on ;).

this game is gorgeous, and a shit ton of fun, and i dig the victorian london setting. can't believe i almost sold my key for $20.

There is hardly a narrative of that. Ubisoft, despite their incredibly stupid comments, have made a fair amount of good games, if not somewhat samey. But Unity was as bad as Arkham Knight's launch from what I could compare.

So the pitchforks lifted for that was well deserved. Should it be held up for everything no. But definitely, people should be wary, considering the past release.

And no, you don't need a life time to look at A game, but if everything is based on individual merits alone, would mean that any game could be good and would need a large amount of time to examine them all, is what I said. People sometime depend on past experience to look at a later product, which is far from unreasonable.

Back