Assassin’s Creed Origins

For those of you who care about this guy.

edit: Just checked the vid and it's not actually Joe.

every video or review that says some negative things about the game does not disqualify it...that review was actually pretty fair...talked about the strengths and weaknesses...probably the 3rd or 4th best AC game after AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag...best AC in many years but stop with the Witcher 3 comparisons...the same [H] members that loved every single AC release are the same people in this thread singing its praises...am I really shocked that those people love the game?...I could have told you pre-release the people on [H] that would absolutely love it

Last edited:
every video or review that says some negative things about the game does not disqualify it...that review was actually pretty fair...talked about the strengths and weaknesses...probably the 3rd or 4th best AC game after AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag...best AC in many years but stop with the Witcher 3 comparisons...the same [H] members that loved every single AC release are the same people in this thread singing its praises...am I really shocked that those people love the game?...I could have told you pre-release the people on [H] that would absolutely love it

Have you played the game? Witcher 3 comparisons or other RPG comparisons like HZD are correct ones.

More:

Enemies aggro way too easily. I jumped out of a tower into some hay and nearby guard was like "HEY YOU!" *DING*! Combat. More guards came running over and rather than just deal with it, I let them kill me and just respawned in the same spot again lol. By the time I died (30 seconds after jumping into the hay) I was surrounded by 3 guards on-foot and a convoy that happened to be passing by.

Dodge does nothing, basically. Actually makes things worse for you. The best way to kill unshielded enemies is to just burn them down. Even if you can time your dodge with their attacks, by the time you recover from the dodge and gap-close, they are attacking again. Dodging reduces your damage by half, maybe a third, as opposed to just eating the damage. If your dodge is poorly timed, you take damage AND stop dealing damage.

Combat leads to more combat, especially with enemy convoys. As soon as you start your attack, the captain will run at full-speed to escape. If at any point you come into contact with more enemies, they join the fight. By the time you kill one group of guards, another has joined in. If you try to run, they chase you forever and you will aggro even more guards. As a result the best way to farm convoys is to just burn down the captain, loot him, then let yourself die. Takes me back to my WoW days. Nice.

Boat looting is a huge pain in the ass. Usually your raft gets destroyed so you're stuck on a giant warship with no way out except swimming. And oh yeah don't forget, every guard ship within 1/2 mile will aggro you. So now you have arrows flying at you from every direction. Best way out? You guessed it: Die.

My Special Attack (SHIFT+F) breaks most of the time. Bayek jumps forward a few inches, gets stuck, and the animation ends. I deal no damage and it costs me about 3-5 seconds where I could be whacking the enemy with my regular attack. Oh yeah, the animation lasts so long, the enemy gets a free hit on me.

Enemies rubber-band. If an enemy is in "Dodge Mode", they will move at the speed of light and pretty much teleport to stay out of melee range. LITERALLY the only way to hit them is with the bow, or wait for "Dodge Mode" to end, and they approach you. It's like the inverse of what cop cars do in Need for Speed games.

Your horse adheres to the speed limit. A horse speed limit. This one is actually hilarious since you can engage a convoy in a city and your horses move at walking pace. So it's you and like 5 guards moving like a snail swinging swords at each other and it looks fucking ridiculous. It's also really annoying when you're trying to catch up to a captain but your horse is moving at 5mph. WHERE IS THE HORSE SPRINT BUTTON? I've seen my horse run at 60mph in the desert, I KNOW he can do it.

You have to wait about 10 seconds before you can loot a corpse. Not sure why this exists. I actually died once while waiting for a dead captain's corpse to be lootable. WHY?! I want to know WHY!

All of this is from about 1 hour I spent farming materials to upgrade my hidden blade. Overall I would say roughly HALF of my enemy encounters end with me just letting myself die to get it over with. Loot, die, repeat. By the way I am 5 levels above my current zone with fully upgraded gear.

This is by far the worst combat in the entire AC series. And it was pretty bad to begin with.
The more I play this game, the worse it gets.

I'll be back with even more by the end of today or tomorrow. I stand by 3/10, this game is smoldering hot garbage.

Last edited:
I hope everyone here knows me well enough by now to know I'm writing everything in a casual, conversational, and hopefully friendly enough tone. :)

I'll be back with even more by the end of today or tomorrow. I stand by 3/10, this game is smoldering hot garbage.

Please don't. No one cares. Move on. We get that you hate the game. What more need be said?

This isn't constructive or helpful at this point. We won't change your mind. You certainly won't change ours, so what's the use? :)

every video or review that says some negative things about the game does not disqualify it...that review was actually pretty fair...talked about the strengths and weaknesses...

I'll echo the question: Have you or are you actually playing this game?

I agree with what you said here but do you really think what Tainted is doing in this thread at this point is constructive or worthwhile? Or balanced? Really?

He can wage a one man hate campaign all he wants... that's his opinion. Great. He can go play something else. We understand he hates the game. What more need be said?

probably the 3rd or 4th best AC game after AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag...best AC in many years but stop with the Witcher 3 comparisons...

Witcher 3 is an awesome game and we have it to thank for things I'm seeing now in other games. :)

That being said, it, too, has plenty of faults and valid criticisms I could foist at it. Plenty of valid comparisons to be made as well, at least broadly.

Since combat keeps coming up, let's go for it:

It took CDPR three games to go from absolute shit combat to serviceable in part 3, especially with that alternative choice which saved it for me, This is one example of a perfectly valid criticism I could bring up. As good as Witcher 3 is, it definitely enjoys a bit too high of a lofty pedestool IMO.

Ranged combat? Pitiful in all three Witcher games. I'm sorry but it is. Totally unbelievable for a bad ass like Geralt. Origins and HDZ, for two games, easily exceed Witcher 3 in this area. So do the two Shadow of Mordor games. Plenty of games kick Witcher 3's ass on ranged combat.

Stealth and stealth combat? I know that's not what Geralt is supposed to be about but this was...deficient even in Witcher 3 and that's me being real nice about it. Origins and HDZ easily superior in this area along with a bunch of other games I could name on one simple reason: They actually HAVE stealth and stealth combat.

And so on. I still think it's an awesome game overall but it really enjoys a near hallowed status that makes me chuckle. :)

No way Cyberpunk is going to live up to the fantastic expectations I've seen and heard here and abroad.

CDPR is still in that "can't ever do wrong" fanboy honeymoon phase. It can't last forever. If they implement some of the online stuff they have started to discuss on Cyberpunk? That's going to be "welcome to reality" time for them, too.

I hope the combat is better than Witcher 3's on that kind of game. It's going to have to be and especially with any kind of firearm consideration.

the same [H] members that loved every single AC release are the same people in this thread singing its praises...am I really shocked that those people love the game?...

I could have told you pre-release the people on [H] that would absolutely love it

No kidding? People that like a series for what it is are going to continue to like it shy of a Unity or worse FUBAR? Imagine that. ;)

Usually around here it's an art form of pissing, moaning, nitpicking, and bullshit even weeks and months before something is released around here and especially if it's anything from Ubisoft or especially EA. ( I get they've earned their lumps. Especially EA.)

I think it's remarkable how positive the tone is in this thread overall.

For an Ubisoft game thread? Shocking.

The only other Ubisoft thread that shocked me even more was Ghost Recon Wildlands. I can't believe how pleasant and positive that thread has been.

I don't think Origins is THAT great but it's a damned good game, lumps and all. I'm probably at 8.5/10 or so. Sue me. :)

Black Flag, pound for pound, is arguably still the peak of the series. Unity was probably the low point.

Last edited:
I also learned today that I can't spend more than an hour in Alexandria or the game will crash / system freeze.

Its been running like a champ for me, I'm level 21 and steam has me at 32 hours of gameplay. I'm primarily working on the hunter skill tree.

No crashes for me. 28 hours. Level 31 now and killed the crocodile. Moving on now. This game is massive.

The more I play this the more I like it.

I now rate it better then Black Flag for me. It's my number 2, number 1 being AC3. Gameplay wise it's way better then AC3, but I enjoyed the story/setting of AC3 so much and this game is so lacking in the story department.

I've had maybe two or three crashes in 75 hours. The combat in this game is terrible. I've never played the Witcher, so I can't comment on the similarities, but I've played (and generally liked) every other AC game. The combat in this is just a hair above AC1 (which is to say terrible). I actually liked Syndicate's fighting style. I kind of wish AC would just figure out what kind of fighting game it wants to be and then stick with it. Every single game you have to relearn a new way to play. I treat this one more like a Tomb Raider bow hunting style game where I sneak around, pick people off with the bow at distance with the Predator Bow and then loot all the treasures and get out. When I was reading TaintedSquirrel's comments above, it pretty much summed it up for me.

I've had maybe two or three crashes in 75 hours. The combat in this game is terrible. I've never played the Witcher, so I can't comment on the similarities, but I've played (and generally liked) every other AC game. The combat in this is just a hair above AC1 (which is to say terrible). I actually liked Syndicate's fighting style. I kind of wish AC would just figure out what kind of fighting game it wants to be and then stick with it. Every single game you have to relearn a new way to play. I treat this one more like a Tomb Raider bow hunting style game where I sneak around, pick people off with the bow at distance with the Predator Bow and then loot all the treasures and get out. When I was reading TaintedSquirrel's comments above, it pretty much summed it up for me.

Completely opposite from you. The combat in syndicate was the worst of any of the games. It was Batman:AA style QTE. Hated it.

Completely opposite from you. The combat in syndicate was the worst of any of the games. It was Batman:AA style QTE. Hated it.

I love it, but then again, I've played all the Batmans, Shadows of Mordor, and love them too ;).

QTE = easy mode. I hate it because every game like Batman is absolutely no challenge for me. Not to say batman and Shadows of Mordor aren't fun games, but the QTE style combat is a snooze fest for me. It's just not fun.

More:

Enemies aggro way too easily. I jumped out of a tower into some hay and nearby guard was like "HEY YOU!" *DING*! Combat. More guards came running over and rather than just deal with it, I let them kill me and just respawned in the same spot again lol. By the time I died (30 seconds after jumping into the hay) I was surrounded by 3 guards on-foot and a convoy that happened to be passing by.

I've been doing great with stealth, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong here other than attracting way too much attention & possibly barreling in like a mad bull.

Dodge does nothing, basically. Actually makes things worse for you. The best way to kill unshielded enemies is to just burn them down. Even if you can time your dodge with their attacks, by the time you recover from the dodge and gap-close, they are attacking again. Dodging reduces your damage by half, maybe a third, as opposed to just eating the damage. If your dodge is poorly timed, you take damage AND stop dealing damage.

I agree, I hate dodge a ton & would rather it be a counterattack move instead.

Combat leads to more combat, especially with enemy convoys. As soon as you start your attack, the captain will run at full-speed to escape. If at any point you come into contact with more enemies, they join the fight. By the time you kill one group of guards, another has joined in. If you try to run, they chase you forever and you will aggro even more guards. As a result the best way to farm convoys is to just burn down the captain, loot him, then let yourself die. Takes me back to my WoW days. Nice.

I haven't attacked many convoys but when I do, I use my horse to attack & clearing out groups of enemies is quite easy whether they're on a mount or on the ground.

Boat looting is a huge pain in the ass. Usually your raft gets destroyed so you're stuck on a giant warship with no way out except swimming. And oh yeah don't forget, every guard ship within 1/2 mile will aggro you. So now you have arrows flying at you from every direction. Best way out? You guessed it: Die.

I've had no issues playing on hard. I just eliminate everyone from afar or up close nice & quick. My boat stays intact since I ease it up close & then jump on to the ship.

My Special Attack (SHIFT+F) breaks most of the time. Bayek jumps forward a few inches, gets stuck, and the animation ends. I deal no damage and it costs me about 3-5 seconds where I could be whacking the enemy with my regular attack. Oh yeah, the animation lasts so long, the enemy gets a free hit on me.

This one is a mixed bag. Overpower works well when you land the hit, but if you don't you're left wide open to abuse from enemies. Recovery time does suck with this move, but as in real life, it should.

Enemies rubber-band. If an enemy is in "Dodge Mode", they will move at the speed of light and pretty much teleport to stay out of melee range. LITERALLY the only way to hit them is with the bow, or wait for "Dodge Mode" to end, and they approach you. It's like the inverse of what cop cars do in Need for Speed games.

I agree. Very annoying when it comes down to archers & phylakes. I wish there was an easier way to eliminate dodging enemies instead of trying to quickly use a bow.

Your horse adheres to the speed limit. A horse speed limit. This one is actually hilarious since you can engage a convoy in a city and your horses move at walking pace. So it's you and like 5 guards moving like a snail swinging swords at each other and it looks fucking ridiculous. It's also really annoying when you're trying to catch up to a captain but your horse is moving at 5mph. WHERE IS THE HORSE SPRINT BUTTON? I've seen my horse run at 60mph in the desert, I KNOW he can do it.

This part drives me nuts & I honestly don't understand why I can't control the pace of the mount. On top of this, I don't even understand why I can't scale buildings/environment faster.

You have to wait about 10 seconds before you can loot a corpse. Not sure why this exists. I actually died once while waiting for a dead captain's corpse to be lootable. WHY?! I want to know WHY!

This is really annoying until you get the auto-loot after a kill passive ability. It should be an instantaneous drop otherwise.

All of this is from about 1 hour I spent farming materials to upgrade my hidden blade. Overall I would say roughly HALF of my enemy encounters end with me just letting myself die to get it over with. Loot, die, repeat. By the way I am 5 levels above my current zone with fully upgraded gear.

I never really have to farm for materials all that much since everywhere I go there's jars & such to loot. As I progress, my gear keeps getting leveled up, so no worries with that.

This is by far the worst combat in the entire AC series. And it was pretty bad to begin with.

I get that game has issues but 3/10 just says you're way too salty IMHO.

More:

my experience:

i actually haven't had any of these issues. when a guard sees you that's time to either get out of sight or fight - if you don't get out of sight obviously you will be attacked. beyond that when a guard's attention is aimed your way you have an indicator as to their interest, obviously when the bar is full you have their full attention and they are coming at you - so before any combat starts or anything you have a means to keep their interest under control. never had my horse move at walking pace unless i intentionally did it. i did quite well with dodge while i used dual wield and even with a shield (which i had to do for some boss fights). had no issues with convoys but noticed that the one carrying loot will try and escape while the others fight you - the bird can mark the target carrying the goods you're after and, unless you're fighting npc's three or more levels over you, you should be able to kill him rather quick (i did this so much i became tired of it). never had any issues with the special attack - but when i used a blunt weapon noticed it simply increases your damage and slows time down. never had enemies rubber band; actually only had one instance of my horse getting stuck while i was not on it and rubber banding back and forth. the issue of it taking time for enemies to drop loot was annoying but minor - eventually i just dumped points into the tiers to automatically loot.

i actually think the combat is a massive leap forward; you no longer just mash a button and are prompted to hit a button to block or parry - that was absurdly easy. most of the people i've watched that streamed the game and complained about combat a) didn't lock onto and change targets, b) never upgraded anything, c) would miss parries or not even attempt it and would not dodge while locked. much more engaging than previous titles. for at least two-thirds of the game i played with cursed weapons that cut my health by 66%.

story was alright aside from how they tied in bayek's story to cleopatra's - they could have done much better introducing her and the build-up prior.

my only real gripe was trivial in that my aging i5 was getting so hammered i couldn't play over steam link - otherwise, despite 95-100% cpu utilization it ran smooth on my machine on medium-high settings.

I think combat is great in this one. I guess you people are not using shift to bring up the shield and E to parry. Finally space to dodge away when you see a red attack. Not very hard tbh.

I think combat is great in this one. I guess you people are not using shift to bring up the shield and E to parry. Finally space to dodge away when you see a red attack. Not very hard tbh.
You can't use the shield with dual-wield or two-handed weapons.
I've been using dual daggers just because it's fun to slice people up, but I'll definitely give shield+1H a try again.

You can't use the shield with dual-wield or two-handed weapons.
I've been using dual daggers just because it's fun to slice people up, but I'll definitely give shield+1H a try again.

you can still parry unless it's a boss who's hits break guard

Best combination is spear and shield or sword and shield. Also another tip is that press shift and E to parry but then stop pressing shift and hold left mouse button for a flurry of light attacks. It helps that my shield has sleep on successful parry skill so I get a lot of time to slice and dice after parry.

I couldn't even imagine playing this with mouse and keyboard. More power to you guys, but I couldn't do it :D.

I couldn't even imagine playing this with mouse and keyboard. More power to you guys, but I couldn't do it :D.
I use projectiles in this game more than any other AC game. Lots of arrows and they don't make noise like guns in recent games. KBM helps for aiming.
It's actually kinda over-powered since you can just sit in one spot and snipe everyone. At least the level/damage values might make things a bit harder in certain areas.

I use projectiles in this game more than any other AC game. Lots of arrows and they don't make noise like guns in recent games. KBM helps for aiming.

So do I (lots of arrows), and I can't play a FPS game with a controller. I guess I'm just strange. I played through Sniper Elite 3 and 4 with KB/M and Tomb Raiders/ACs with controller.

I just got a legendary axe and I am killing idiots with it like a boss. Just slaughtered a ton of crocodiles and looted their corpses.

Hit level 33 now.

I am really liking the stealth in this game and it seems to be much less magic like the previous AC games. No more "i'm crouching so i'm invisible!" crap. If you are lazy and do not plan a route or wait for the guard whatever to turn their back then you get caught, that is great.

Best stealth is climb one of the guard towers. Then kill all idiots with the predator bow arrow control skill. Headshots are great!

Just finished it yesterday at 98% completion (couple war elephants left and I didn't really care for hippodrome racing or gladiator arena battles). I would put it behind AC2/Brotherhood and Black Flag/Rogue in my scale of AC Games. Probably about even with Syndicate. I appreciated how large the game was, but a lot of the side quests (all 115+ of them) got unimaginative if you got off the story path. Pretty much break into the nearest hideout/fort and either rescue someone's relative or steal something. That's kind of nitpicking though as all of the forts had different layouts and challenges and the game itself was very scenic. I kind of missed the flipping a switch and jumping around to the checkpoint type of challenges and the general climbing around. I think they did a good job with not making the collecting side of it too tedious. I didn't have to spend a ton of time farming for animals, etc. to upgrade all my gear. I didn't have too many PC glitches all things considered. The Anubis challenge was kind of ridiculous. Who had time to get to level 40 within 2 weeks of release?

I'd probably give it 8/10.

Just for kicks, I fired up AC Brotherhood, and the gameplay is so hard to get used to again, specifically the lack of "down parkour."

Just for kicks, I fired up AC Brotherhood, and the gameplay is so hard to get used to again, specifically the lack of "down parkour."
I was really hoping they would finally switch to a free-form parkour system (Mirror's Edge, Dying Light) instead of the clunky snap-to system they use now. It's basically the same system they've been using since the beginning.
They added downward climbing in Unity, iirc.

lI never liked or cared for any of the AC games. For some reason this one i wanted to try out. Totally in love with this game.

Any guesses on what might cause the game to stutter like a motherfucker? It's unplayable.
It runs smooth if I stand still.

CprvlGK.png

You and I have a similar build and same GPU. In fact you have a beefier machine.

Give me a few minutes and I want to see if I can post my settings here.

EDIT ADD:

If you're on a 60Hz monitor, go into Display and scroll all the way down and use the FPS limiter. Set it to 60. V-Sync off. (Really glad more games have this)

Native on everything. Resolution Modifier 100 percent. Fullscreen or experiment with borderless.

EDIT ADD: Graphics: Custom.

Dynamic resolution OFF. AA High. Shadows and everything as high as you want/maxed out.

If this doesn't work it's the usual: Repair files, check OC settings, drivers, blah blah blah. You know all that stuff.

Last edited:
This started with my 8700K build as I am 99% certain it was smooth on my 4770K. I didn't save any benches on my old build, sadly.
I did test GTA 5 and Watch Dogs 2 and they're both smooth.

If I stand still, even in Alexandria, it's locked at 17ms with no spikes or drops. As soon as I start running, especially on the horse, I get a 20-30ms microstutter every few seconds.
Seems like a data streaming issue, my AIDA64 Memory test and SSD test seem fine.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
This started with my 8700K build as I am 99% certain it was smooth on my 4770K. I didn't save any benches on my old build, sadly.
I did test GTA 5 and Watch Dogs 2 and they're both smooth.

If I stand still, even in Alexandria, it's locked at 17ms with no spikes or drops. As soon as I start running, especially on the horse, I get a 20-30ms microstutter every few seconds.
Seems like a data streaming issue, my AIDA64 Memory test and SSD test seem fine.

Let me know if any of my added suggestions in previous post help.

Here's what the Siwa market looks like on the lowest preset (1080p, 60Hz, Vsync).

t1Wu3h6.png

Turn v-sync off and set the in game FPS limiter to 60 in the display section instead and see what that does for you.

Look over my suggestions in my earlier posts if you haven't already.

Turn v-sync off and set the in game FPS limiter to 60 in the display section instead and see what that does for you.
I disabled Nvidia's vsync which seems to help a lot, and switched to the in-game's Adaptive. I'll try w/o vsync and see if that does anything.
It seems to mostly clear up after I play for about 10 minutes. According to task manager the game is only using about 3.5 GB RAM.

I wonder if this is a RAM usage issue perhaps with the Win7 build of the game. It seems to be pulling tons of data from disk.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I disabled Nvidia's vsync which seems to help a lot, and switched to the in-game's Adaptive. I'll try w/o vsync and see if that does anything.
It seems to mostly clear up after I play for about 10 minutes. According to task manager the game is only using about 3.5 GB RAM.

I wonder if this is a RAM usage issue perhaps with the Win7 build of the game.

Not sure.

I'm on Win 7 64 bit pro. My CPU isn't as beefy as yours but if your sig is still current we're both on 980tis and we're both using 1920x1200 monitors and I haven't had any egregious performance issues and nothing like this. Between your 16Gb of RAM and the GPU VRAM you're well covered on memory. Should be no issues there.

Back