Assassin’s Creed Origins

the world building and historical research that goes into the Assassin's Creed games have always been one of the most impressive things to me...I can't imagine the number of people it takes researching the complete history of any given historical location

the world building and historical research that goes into the Assassin's Creed games have always been one of the most impressive things to me...I can't imagine the number of people it takes researching the complete history of any given historical location
Syndicate blew me away, still does. So much detail it's insane. Same for The Division (although unrelated).
It's a shame ubisoft doesn't put that much dedication into their gameplay.

I have loved many of the Assassin Creed games, but the last few just tasted like worn shoe leather to me. The series needed a break for one, the controls on PC were horribly frustrating for two, and the "follow this dude without losing him or being detected" mechanic had been over used so many times I never wanted to see another AC game for a while. I don't think I made it 45 minutes into Syndicate before I said "F this" and never went back.

I will be cautiously watching this game, but honestly, I not expecting my interest to increase much unless they pull something fresh and innovating out of their hat (and fix the damn controls on KB&M).

if you watch the "building an empire" vid they talk about how they are overhauling the control. fighting is supposedly totally different and now has accurate distancing and hopefully better control. I friggin hope so 'cause the control drove me nuts. nothing like chasing someone and your guy keeps grabbing onto every little thing you run past.

the worlds are amazing but the gameplay is repetitive as hell and needs the biggest overhaul...Brotherhood was the pinnacle of the series...the Ezio games were fantastic...can't be a coincidence that the most charismatic and interesting lead character has the best games...Unity I thought was pretty interesting from a technical standpoint in terms of the crowd size and graphics...Syndicate was the breaking point for me where I got totally burnt out...

You've essentially been doing the exact same thing going back to AC1. Yes, sometimes they add additional weapons (that usually suck) or tweak the climbing mechanics, but the games are 90% the same in a new location. I think one reason Black Flag was such a good game is because you weren't just doing the same stuff. It was there, but it was only about 1/2 of the game. Future games should keep that in mind. If they don't feel like reinventing the wheel every year, they need to dial back the core climbing/counter-stabbing elements and have something else.

You've essentially been doing the exact same thing going back to AC1. Yes, sometimes they add additional weapons (that usually suck) or tweak the climbing mechanics, but the games are 90% the same in a new location. I think one reason Black Flag was such a good game is because you weren't just doing the same stuff. It was there, but it was only about 1/2 of the game. Future games should keep that in mind. If they don't feel like reinventing the wheel every year, they need to dial back the core climbing/counter-stabbing elements and have something else.
The franchise was due for a reboot, plenty of games have done it in the past. Same series, but feels like a totally new game.
Ubisoft is pretty lazy though and they've never done that before.

Both trailers still don't offer much in the way of gameplay details. While they look cool, you can make Unity and Syndicate look nearly as cool with the same type of cinematic editing.

so Origins is the same ole Assassin's Creed but with camels to ride and pyramids to climb?

Assassin’s Creed fans with deep pockets have a special edition of the next game in the franchise just for them: a $799.99 “Dawn of the Creed Legendary Edition” of Assassin’s Creed Origins...the Legendary Edition is limited to 999 copies — only 200 of which are available in North America — and is exclusive to the Ubisoft Store

•A 28.7-inch figurine of Bayek and his eagle Senu cast in resin
•A hand-drawn world map of Assassin’s Creed Origins’ Egypt
•Replica of Bayek’s eagle skull amulet cast in resin
•Four 15-inch by 11-inch lithographs signed by Ubisoft Montreal studio artists
•Official game soundtrack
•Two Steelbook cases
•Artbook and art cards
•Numbered certificate of authenticity
•A copy of Assassin’s Creed Origins, season pass and other digital goods

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/12/15786464/assassins-creed-origins-collectors-editions

I was hoping for a reboot but I don't think it's happening.
I only enjoyed Black Flag for the boats, and Syndicate for the grappling hook. I doubt I will find any redeemable qualities in Origins.

Assassin's Creed: Origins hands-on — bigger, livelier, and taking notes from The Witcher 3

Origins is by now known as a refresh for the series, focusing on story and player progression over busying the world map with checklist activities and mission types...there’s plenty of that stuff in there too, but spread over an entire country instead of a city or two...the scale is incredible, even if what you do in the world doesn’t feel very new to the series...

http://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-cr...ries-refresh-taking-notes-from-the-witcher-3/

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The RPG elements they were talking about in one of the new vids definitely got my attention.
Witcher 3 + Assassins Creed is a good combo.

I don't like the setting, though. I'm going to miss the guns (I know, I know) and I'm REALLY going to miss Syndicate's grappling hook. I don't like the eagle mechanics either, didn't like them in Primal or WD2.

the scope of the game and map size sound really impressive...I said I was done with AC after Syndicate but I might re-consider...just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

As long as it's a good game on its own merits, there's no reason to abandon an entire franchise. :)
I'd play one of the new Call of Duty games if Activision rebooted the series and made a good one.

I don't like the setting, though. I'm going to miss the guns (I know, I know) and I'm REALLY going to miss Syndicate's grappling hook. I don't like the eagle mechanics either, didn't like them in Primal or WD2.

Same, I never played an AssCreed without some kind of firearm. I always liked them for a range weapon with a few shots before switching to a bladed weapon. Though I don't like the idea or more RPG elements. Because I don't want more sticks to collect to unlock ability B, or 13 fetch quests to get a decent sword, or to stab 87 guys in the eye with a particular sword to unlock something else. I simply don't trust Ubi in handling that well.

Although the main concern with an AssCreed game is the controls. The last few were fine, but Blackflag and 3 were utter shit. As long as it doesn't go back to that I'd consider trying it.

For the history junkies, like me, that series is great, because of the settings. You can climb the lighthouse and pyramids and such.

My buddy's gf is art historian, and she told us, when we showed her Rome or Florence, that those cities, art and buildings are exactly as historical accurate as you can be. Everything is where it was in real time and how it was.

The work they had to do of Egypt is amazing, and I can't wait for next games based in Greece and Rome. I just hope they won't add any of the "modern day assassin " crap.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I said I was done with the series after Syndicate but Origins sounds promising...if Nvidia bundles the game with their GPU's and I can snag a code for around $25 I'd be willing to give this a shot

Yeah what does that say when "if I can get this at a discount" is the rider to getting a game?

Yeah what does that say when "if I can get this at a discount" is the rider to getting a game?

the series is very repetitive...gorgeous locations and excellent attention to detail as far as world design but eventually they need to overhaul the gameplay/mechanics otherwise it's the same thing every year in a new setting...Origins sounds like it's somewhat trying to change things up a bit...I also hear there's a Discovery Mode where you can explore the entire game combat-free

XBQOOTK.jpg
more boat action? cant wait!!!!

Who's going to be playing this on release? I'm jumping in on it since I've been need my AC fix for a long while.

Looking forward to exploring & finding all of the secrets the most.

Who's going to be playing this on release? I'm jumping in on it since I've been need my AC fix for a long while.

I'll probably be in day one unless Destiny 2 drives me away. I'm not going to wait for reviews but I was hoping Nvidia would do a promo so I could get a cheap code.

I already beat Syndicate three times so I need something new.

I'll probably be in day one unless Destiny 2 drives me away. I'm not going to wait for reviews but I was hoping Nvidia would do a promo so I could get a cheap code.

I already beat Syndicate three times so I need something new.

For my in-between game, I started playing AC3 Liberation HD. Not bad but nothing like Black Flag. I wound up cancelling my Destiny 2 pre-order & bought ACO instead.

http://www.pcgamer.com/for-better-or-worse-assassins-creed-origins-is-an-rpg-now/

Largely sounds promising. A few areas of question/jury is out but overall I'm expecting a pretty damned good game. (As a fan of the series)

PC Gamer post: 1043251716 said:
These elements have appeared in Assassin's Creed games before, but the way Origins gates your progress, using your level and the quality of your gear, is a fundamental change. Missions have level recommendations, and if you strive too far ahead of your level you will barely be able to damage basic enemies. To move between story missions you need to grind out side quests and kill wildlife to gain crafting components and upgrade your gear.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like shit. So in order to progress to the interesting, fun story missions we will have to spend even more time doing repeating mini games and dumb quests so we can gradually inch our stats up better. Lets go run across the map, slay 15 elephants, liberate 30 random dudes we don't care about so we can progress to the next mission. And then after that mission, they'll make us slay 15 ocelots and assassinate 30 random dudes we don't care out in lame set piece map sub sections.

The game was fun when the controls were not complete shit, as Rogue showed us. But now it seems they've drawn out the game to hit a marketing checkbox for no good reason. Sad part is, the average gamer is an idiot and this will likely set records for the series. And even more games will get filled trash content with sparse bits of brilliance lost in the middle.

I'll be playing it a week later as it's going to get played on my Xbox One X. Might pick it up later on PC when it's on sale. I'm also a big fan of Assassin's Creed, although I have yet to play Syndicate.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like shit. So in order to progress to the interesting, fun story missions we will have to spend even more time doing repeating mini games and dumb quests so we can gradually inch our stats up better. Lets go run across the map, slay 15 elephants, liberate 30 random dudes we don't care about so we can progress to the next mission. And then after that mission, they'll make us slay 15 ocelots and assassinate 30 random dudes we don't care out in lame set piece map sub sections.

The game was fun when the controls were not complete shit, as Rogue showed us. But now it seems they've drawn out the game to hit a marketing checkbox for no good reason. Sad part is, the average gamer is an idiot and this will likely set records for the series. And even more games will get filled trash content with sparse bits of brilliance lost in the middle.

Wow... talk about a rant. It looks to me like they're copying JRPGs, ARPGs & FPSRPGs that give level recommendations. This is nothing new & I think it might turn out to being a great idea for an AC game.

Last edited:
I hope they don't ruin the stealth aspect. Seems like recent AC games have been more combat-focused and Origins even moreso.
I've played them all as 100% stealth, avoiding sight/combat entirely whenever possible.

I hope they don't ruin the stealth aspect. Seems like recent AC games have been more combat-focused and Origins even moreso.
I've played them all as 100% stealth, avoiding sight/combat entirely whenever possible.

I do stealth as much as possible , which is why I preferred Evie for Syndicate.

Back