Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Always interesting to encounter differing opinions. On the assassin creed subreddit, there's a notablely loud group of people who have been voicing their worry over AC's shift towards being a rpg and abandoning the story, including the modern day elements.

Any decent "fixes" yet to raise the FPS any?

Outside of town, FPS is great.

In town, i average 40 FPS on my ultra wide 1440.

ASv7e2p.png

Dropping the clouds and shadows down a notch helped with smoothing things out for me @ 2560x1440 with gsync enabled.

Turning the FPS counter off helped immensely.

Although I get some odd jittering during cut scenes, it is not frame jumping or stuttering, it is like the characters faces "shimmy" for a lack of better term.

Dropping the clouds and shadows down a notch helped with smoothing things out for me @ 2560x1440 with gsync enabled.

Turning the FPS counter off helped immensely.

Although I get some odd jittering during cut scenes, it is not frame jumping or stuttering, it is like the characters faces "shimmy" for a lack of better term.
Ah, I have the FPS counter on. I'll take that off, thanks.

Yup, I noticed the jittering during cut scenes.. Dudes eye is a bit wonky, too.

Watched this for about half hour on twitch and it felt like watching Origins with some fan-made ui and visual mods tacked on. This is not a bad thing as it's predecessor was a quality game, though for anyone wanting something different from Origins - this isn't the game for them.

I'm pretty damn sure it's a solid game overall, just that this apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree.

Watched this for about half hour on twitch and it felt like watching Origins with some fan-made ui and visual mods tacked on. This is not a bad thing as it's predecessor was a quality game, though for anyone wanting something different from Origins - this isn't the game for them.

I'm pretty damn sure it's a solid game overall, just that this apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree.
I don't really get the point of posts like these. It's an Assassin's Creed title. Were you hoping for Call of Duty?

It shares a lot of similarities with Origins as expected, but there a countless gameplay systems in place that expand upon what Origins started. 8 hours in and I'm already enjoying the game WAY more than Origins. Gameplay, story, graphics and overall scope feels much more epic in scale. It definitely needs some performance patches, but 100% worth a buy.

I'm just waiting and praying for someone to say: "for those that quit AC after Black Flag, it's time to come back!"....

The optimization is pretty bad.

I averaged 47 FPS everything maxed in the bench mark.

I changed fog to medium, shadows to high, clutter to medium, and clouds to medium.

And now I average...... 47 FPS in the bench mark.

How the hell does that make any sense?

The optimization is pretty bad.

I averaged 47 FPS everything maxed in the bench mark.

I changed fog to medium, shadows to high, clutter to medium, and clouds to medium.

And now I average...... 47 FPS in the bench mark.

How the hell does that make any sense?

Unfortunately, AC games love i7's these days....

I don't know. I feel levelups are pretty quick already. I was at level 4 after 1 hour of play. But maybe that's because of the temporary xp boost at the start? Dunno, but so far I don't feel I have to grind at all, I do what I feel like doing.

I am well past the 2 hour XP boost (which I swear kept running after I shut off the game), and I am leveling at a rate that I would expect. I am Level 6 right around 5 hours, and that is with a lot of pure exploration and dicking around; I have just barely touched the main mission chain. I am not seeing any grinding on my end, or at least no more then prior AC games. Haven't those XP booster packs existed since at least Black Flag?

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey has a huge grinding and microtransaction problem

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/3/1...yssey-level-grinding-microtransaction-problem
The article says the word "grind" like 100 times but never what grinding in AC:OD actually entails.
At one point they claim completing side-quests is grinding.

The issue is that you can't just zerg the main questline and apparently there's no scaling options to fix it. So you have to complete some side-quests and activities. However, that's not grinding.

The article says the word "grind" like 100 times but never what grinding in AC:OD actually entails.
At one point they claim completing side-quests is grinding.

The issue is that you can't just zerg the main questline and apparently there's no scaling options to fix it. So you have to complete some side-quests and activities. However, that's not grinding.

Agreed. The game encourages you to explore. XP is awarded for plenty of things other than killing and side quests. Like with most things, some words like grinding and P2W are so commonly used that they become part of our vernacular, and end up being misused.

What I don't get is why anyone cares that there are microtransactions for a single player game, especially enough to make an article out of it. Games, even single player ones, have been doing this for ever with items and such disguised as DLC, even ones with no additional content but items.

I also took issue with a quote from another review in that article, “If your character goes from level six to seven, all of the animals and most of the nearby enemies will also jump from six to seven. This eliminates that moment where you instantly feel more capable and competent for a while after leveling up,”

Yes, mobs will level up with you, but I have found that scaling isn't 100%. In the beginning I had a tough fight with a trio of wolves at level 2. That same fight became noticeably easier at level 3.

I'm not a AC fanboy, only AC game I played before this was the Revolutionary War one and that was because of the setting. The same reason I picked up Odyssey and i'm glad I did.

Last edited:
So I just fired it up for the first time to run the bechmark, expected horrible results, but... It literally runs the exact same as Origins.

Well, I want to buy this one but honestly I did not even finish Origins.... Too many things to do so I don't know if it's worth it to buy it :D

One thing I've noticed is a lot of times game reviewers prefer to complete games faster, bypass side content and generally prefer to complete main story stuff only. Byproduct of their job, so i usually wait for non reviewer opinions before any decisions.

I'm way behind the curve with my rig but haven't had any issues running default settings at 1080 just as I did with Origins (970/4670k/16gb/ssd os and game drive). I long left going through settings with a fine-tooth comb and watching fps, overclocking, and pushing hardware and game setting to everything I can get out of games performance-wise. Obviously in the minority here I get that.

About the grind - the quests to me are like any other game with quests - go kill this tool or go get this. For me it's the combat and world that keep this alright in my book. And about the microtransactions - I simply don't even look at them. I'm fifteen hours in and thus far haven't seen anything about them while playing the game.

About the grind later in the game; the game hasn't even officially launched, so chances are the devs are and will be watching feedback on the game mechanics and patches will undoubtedly come.

Last edited:
I've done some benchmarks, and it seems SLI is completely broken in the game.
399 Driver with SLI: AVG 46 But it seems smooth, frame times are pretty consistent
411 Driver with SLI: AVG 51 It is all over the place, frame rate is not consistent at all, it jumps up down between 25 and 60, with lots of stuttering.
411 Driver no SLI: AVG 50 Frame times are very consistent, no stuttering issues.
399 Driver no SLI: AVG 49 This is by far the smoothest experience, the lowest FPS is 5 higher than with any of the above options. There are no spikes or frame drops whatsoever.

So is NVIDIA nerfing 10 series cards with their new driver? You tell me. It certainly isn't doing any favors.

Last edited:
I don't really get the point of posts like these. It's an Assassin's Creed title. Were you hoping for Call of Duty?
It's more visual and less about gameplay. There's assets/textures/areas in this game that look as if they were straight out of Origins. There's screenshots of this game that 99% of casual gamers would think was an Origins screenshot.

Back in the day skipping around the world (italy, paris, britain, caribbean) into locations with visibly different biomes and architecture was when the series was at it's peak. IMO they should stick to a 2 year cycle, and ensure that games with similar architectures/biomes are at minimum 4 years apart.

They could have done Japan, China, South America, anywhere that didn't look 100% like the previous game. I wish I was exaggerating but watching the streams there's places that look like literal ctrl+c ctrl+v from the previous game.

They could have done Japan, China, South America, anywhere that didn't look 100% like the previous game. I wish I was exaggerating but watching the streams there's places that look like literal ctrl+c ctrl+v from the previous game.

there seems to be more water in Odyssey and more desert in Origins...that's how they've differentiated the 2 :D

I'm just waiting and praying for someone to say: "for those that quit AC after Black Flag, it's time to come back!"....
Same here.

Is this the AC Old-Timey Ship Simulator 2018 that we want? I've watched some ship gameplay and it looks like most of the systems from Black flag are there, I'm just curious about things like ghost / lengendary ships. Those were always a blast.

Same here.

Is this the AC Old-Timey Ship Simulator 2018 that we want? I've watched some ship gameplay and it looks like most of the systems from Black flag are there, I'm just curious about things like ghost / lengendary ships. Those were always a blast.

Ship battles definitely have a larger part to play than in Origins. The ship battles are very different from Black Flag however (we are talking about Ancient Greek vessels after all)..

I haven't spent a lot of time sailing the oceans yet, but yes to open sea ship travel, ship boarding and looting, ship upgrades (including ship crew), sea shanties (not collectibles), naval contracts.. The controls and maneuverability feels tighter than in Black Flag. I am unsure about legendary ships at this stage or forts.

So far the focus on the naval aspect are not to same degree as Black Flag but it definitely has it's own sizable part to play in the overall package.

Last edited:
Never played an AC game , curious how it plays with k/m and how open world this one feels ?

Don’t care about speed of game nor grinding , as enjoy just running around exploring , so wondered if the world is big and worth it for open world type enjoyment ?

Never played an AC game , curious how it plays with k/m and how open world this one feels ?

Don’t care about speed of game nor grinding , as enjoy just running around exploring , so wondered if the world is big and worth it for open world type enjoyment ?

Yes, absolutely huge open world to explore. The game is practically begging to be explored and it looks gorgeous. Not sure about KB/M controls though as I am using a controller for this title.

Decided to buy it. I'm very eager to get into it. You know, part of the allure was the positive contrast with Witcher 3, which I never played fully, but everyone raves about, and despite starting witcher, I'm having trouble mustering the willpower to continue it. In contrast, I'm absolutely thrilled to see Ancient Greece. Funny how that goes, guessing the setting being expressed into a video game is a huge plus for me. Where the first environment I could control Geralt produced no reaction from me, I was ecstatic to run around and see all the little greek objects, and look at the landscape of Greece around me.

Regarding performance, with a RX 580 8GB, a i5-4690k, and 16 GB of RAM, on 1080p, all settings set to Ultra, no adaptive AA, on the benchmark ran 30-40 fps basically. The first area I could move around as the main character (rural setting), I basically hovered 35-45? Overall, I'm content with the performance on my end. (Tbf, Ive been playing the Division on max settings without resolution scale, and its been hovering from 30-50 fps, so at this point im sorta acclimated to 30 fps.) Hopefully some patches will improve it.

I think I'll skip Odyssey...I played all the AC games except Origins and am officially burnt out...beautifully rendered cities but same basic gameplay...

Back