Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

How about a AC in the future like Cyberpunk noire or something just take some Blade Runner and mix in a blender with the story.

Season Pass & Post Launch info

they sure are giving players a ton of content...I still haven't played Origins (only AC game I did not play)...I don't know whether to get Origins now at a heavily discounted price and wait for all the post-release Odyssey content to unlock in a few months before buying...or just jump into Odyssey on Day 1

they sure are giving players a ton of content...I still haven't played Origins (only AC game I did not play)...I don't know whether to get Origins now at a heavily discounted price and wait for all the post-release Odyssey content to unlock in a few months before buying...or just jump into Odyssey on Day 1

If you're up for it and wont' get burnt out, Origins is great fun and - I suspect - has some story beats you won't want to miss if you're a fan of the rest of the series. Origins was a whole new take on AC, with Odyssey seemingly an evolution - and a big one at that - on Origins, so its up to you.

In the event you don't get Origins but intend to pick up Odyssey, I'd highly suggest finding one of those YouTube hours+ walkthroughs showing ALL the cinematic and special events (in game - such as the "Vaults/Mechanisms") in both the base game and expansions, so you'll be caught up.

I finished Origins and all its expansion content completely about a month back and I'm excited for Odyssey indeed.

Are full editions normally $100? I've never actually bought one at launch. And I can't find any 20% discounts for this one either (RIP Amazon).
Guess I'll get the basic edition then come back in year to get the DLCs on sale.

If anybody has RX 570, 580, or Vega here's somebody selling a cheap code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assassins-...tar-Control-Origins-Digital-Code/292689739237

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are full editions normally $100? I've never actually bought one at launch. And I can't find any 20% discounts for this one either (RIP Amazon).
Guess I'll get the basic edition then come back in year to get the DLCs on sale.

If anybody has RX 570, 580, or Vega here's somebody selling a cheap code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assassins-...tar-Control-Origins-Digital-Code/292689739237

Ubi has started doing things a little different this time and I'm a bit frustrated to see it.

Over the past few years AAA game prices have crept up including on Ubi titles , sometimes justified, others less so. To answer your question, yes - recent Ubi titles generally were $100 to get the "whole" game. That is to say, the base game plus all special/deluxe items and expansions included in the Season Pass. Typically this was the "Gold" edition - $99.99 etc... that gave you everything. This is how Origins worked, for instance. The only monetization objection I had with Origins was the amount of additional, real money costumes available for purchase in game, but I later found out that they did finally add a way to have a chance at them at least once a day for free (ie Haka chests) so that was a minor issue rather than a major one.

However, unlike previous titles Ubi's next generation titles including Odyssey mean that "Gold" editions are no longer the "best", to make things more confusing.. here's how it breaks down now for PC/digital.

Pre Order bonus - Additional Mission - The Blind King. I assume after launch this may require a microtransaction and/or Uplay points earned in game to unlock?
Base Game = $60 . Here's our starting point. Launch on October 5th
Deluxe Edition = $80. Take the base game, plus Deluxe Pack items which come to - - The Kronos Pack (Including 5 epic pieces of armour, 1 epic weapon, 1 epic mount) -, The Herald of Dusk Pack (Including 5 rare pieces of armour, 1 rare weapon) ,The Capricornus Naval Pack (Including 1 ship design, 1 crew theme) ,1 Temporary XP Boost , 1 Temporary Drachmas Boost - This is nice but I'd rather see it for $10 not $20, and in the past the XP/Currency boosts used to be permanent and stack as I recall . Launch on Oct 5th.
Gold Edition = $100 - Base Game + Season Pass + Launch/Play on October 2nd. This is where you get the season pass and all of its expansions and other content, but DOES NOT come with the Deluxe Pack items the way it did during Origins etc.
ULTIMATE Edition = $120 Base Game + Deluxe Pack + Season Pass + Launch on October 2nd . This is the new top-tier and frankly the one that grants the full game experience,

I know that Odyssey, like Origins before it, is offering a lot of content post launch and I'm glad to see it. However, I don't really like the way things are going with pricing; I think they've definitely justified the $40 cost of the Season Pass with all its expansions and extras, post launch stuff and free updates so I don't have an issue with that I don't think. However, I do think pushing the envelope to $120 by not including the Deluxe items the way they used to do so is annoying, especially when this pack of Deluxe items seem to have more value (ie they're not just skins, but actually gear especially with the expanded gear system compared to Origins). On the other hand when I jump in I typically want the complete game experience, but I rarely if ever play full price..

I'm pretty confident that there will be near to 20% discounts on all of them, showing up before launch. I know that GreenManGaming has in the past had all versions at 16% off and there was a 5% discount voucher you could add to them in your VIP section/email if you had an account with them. I think something like that will probably come back soon. There are also other sites out there that may do something similar, and don't forget Humble Monthly subscribers get a stacking 10% off plus 5% cash back on their purchases, so keep that in mind if necessary.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I guess instead of loot boxes we just get double/triple the price?! GMG has it 13% off all version right meow.

upload_2018-9-14_11-36-10.png

I still want to play Origins bad I mean I really want to pick it up but I kinda want the Steam version even though it's on sale at GMG this week the UPLAY version.

It's excellent Then again I love anything ancient Egypt so I'm very biased. It's the first Ass Creed game I've played (I tried to get into the original on PS3 but it didn't hold my interest).
I definitely am enjoying Ass origins more than Witcher 3. Graphics are superb and the attention to detail in the cities is amazing.

Does acod not have lootboxes? They mentioned a premium currency in one of the videos.

Also the digital age should make games cheaper not more expensive. And why is a game on UPlay the same cost as Steam? There's no fee.

Does acod not have lootboxes? They mentioned a premium currency in one of the videos.

Also the digital age should make games cheaper not more expensive. And why is a game on UPlay the same cost as Steam? There's no fee.

I don't know a bout Odyssey, but basing it on Origins there are thankfully no Lootboxes. Rather, there is a premium currency that can be used to procure a number of things including standard in-game resources that are otherwise able to be acquired elsewhere (ie extra crafting stuff), map item unlocks/displays (ie certain items show up on the map) that are NOT otherwise able to be unlocked except using your nearby, in-game scouting eagle (note: This can be difficult given that some of them in Origins anyway were in ultra remote places you may not be traveling anywhere without knowing anything was there. ), or unique in-game items/skins/costumes/weapons packs (possibly found randomly on a repeatable once per day special quest or expensive game currency bonus chest, or purchased directly with premium currency). The map reveals are actually the most annoying of the three as I don't believe there's any way to get these without premium currency if I recall ; though thankfully the Gold edition of Origins granted a certain amount of included premium currency that I used to unlock all of them without additional expenditure.

While Ubi is certainly doing some things worthy of criticism, they thankfully have avoided using random lootboxes!

And regarding the pricing of games, its a complex topic. Games that activate directly on UPlay ( as opposed to Steam, which also launches UPlay from within Steam etc) don't typically cost more or less, its just that Ubi sends out more keys to various keysellers to directly activate, which means that the places you get the bigger discounts on Ubi titles are more likely to be Uplay keys. Steam keys are comparatively more rare (as places like Humble, GMG etc...get Uplay keys) so they tend to be more expensive and harder to find - either from grey-marketplace resellers or from Steam directly, so less likely discounted especially before launch. The whole whole thingw with Canada and regional pricing I'm not aware of exactly, save for there are some countries where pricing becomes a shitshow because of either A) exchange rate and/or VAT B) publisher region locking and general messing around or C) mysterious other factors. Sometimes this can be exploited in your favor , but there is some risk - for instance, people who buy a vastly cheaper region of a game and use a VPN to activate it, but you have to watch out in case it segregates you by region or whatnot. As for Canada, I figured things wouldn't be too bad since NA is typically its own region so I didn't think it would differ much from USA, but if per title it is wonky then it may help to see if you can buy from somewhere else like GMG etc.. and it should activate just fine.

Overall game pricing is another thing entirely and there's much that goes into it. One argument for more expensive games comes from the idea that the standard price of a game has not changed since the late 90s, with $50-60 being the norm, despite what I am told is greatly more expense in game development at the AAA level (of which I am not entirely sure but at least seems possible) and inflation/cost of living in general (which is almost certainly true). However, as you said before that the amount of money saved by transitioning to digital distribution and taking the various middlemen out of the supply chain (ie Gamestop alone as I recall took a larger portion than Steam does today, not counting actually getting the box on the shelf etc) should lower the cost. There's a lot that goes into it and while I grant that there's at least some argument for increasing the standard cost of a game from a single, $50-60 one time purchase, the way in which it is done is bothersome in many cases - both disregarding the overall lack of expense to publish a game today digitally and the amount charged versus content type, frequency, etc... on the other end. So its really on a case by case basis between titles and in fact differs vastly between indie/self published, small publishers, large publishers and AAA studios, game type itself and more.

Just letting everyone know that Green Man Gaming has made AC Odyssey (all versions) their new Game of the Week so it is 18% off, without any voucher necessary. I am unsure if they will add vouchers atop it during the sale period, but if I am correct this is the largest "general use" discount I've seen pre-launch thus far. Its a pity it isn't outright > 20% but at least its close; I have a feeling that Ubi is locking it down a bit for legit vendors in terms of what can be displayed. That's one reason I think any either general/ VIP or personal, email delivered vouchers may be necessary to take it beyond 20%.

Note: UPlay seems to be transitioning to some sort of "UPlay Connect" activation for their keys, probably in an effort to stop resale. Thus, when you buy from GMG or whomever you log in to your UPlay account and it authorizes the game against it, I gather. Not necessarily a big issue, but I am curious how GMG will handle things like Gifting. I'll have to check to see if Humble and a few other sites also use Uplay Connect for redemption...

like this
According to isthereanydeal it has been a few cents cheaper on GMG before, I'm guessing 19% or 20% discount. I pre-ordered last night.

Anyone know when the review embargo will lift for Odyssey? Really interested in how this title will rate.

I'm curious if they'll be able to top Origins...

Yeah, I'm fairly certain they are going to double down on everything that made Origins great and reinforce it with some nice new additions / improvements along with revisiting features from previous titles. I wouldn't expect it to be a "generational" leap ahead over Origins though.

This game is just Origins with a bunch more stuff added. How couldn't it top Origins?

Yeah, I'm fairly certain they are going to double down on everything that made Origins great and reinforce it with some nice new additions / improvements along with revisiting features from previous titles. I wouldn't expect it to be a "generational" leap ahead over Origins though.

but they started working on Odyssey at the same time as Origins so they would have no way of knowing what worked for that game and build on it...

I'm curious if they'll be able to top Origins...

I thought Origins was a weak entry. I was really hyped for this game due to the setting, now not so much. I did love the setting of Origins which I didn't like at first. The Egyptian theme was actually great. I liked looking at the architecture and pyramids. Climbing the big 3 was fun. Loved looking at the different types of pyramid designs as well. Didn't expect such a European influence, but I suppose it took place much later (start of Roman control of Egypt). So it was interesting to see Egyptian, Greek and Roman structures in game. But at the same time I thought there wasn't enough time spent around the Egyptian areas which were more unique. I suppose the chance of environments was needed though.

But the main narrative was weak, side quests where meh, combat wasn't that good, and it dragged on, and on, and on. The side content to story mission ratio was terrible. Too much junk. The leveling system was pointless and killed freedom of quest choice. So much wrong with that game. Syndicate had combat down pretty damn well. The missions, the ways to approach them, how it made you play like an assassin and combat was excellent. The narrative was weak, but stronger than Origins. Repeating side quests was a bit much but overall Syndicate was a better game. They just needed to remove the "liberate XYX" and make a more relevant story. Origins though - that needed a lot more changed.

I found that with Origins the game was 'ok' when I did the stealth playstyle and attempted to silently kill every npc one by one. What really changed for the better was when I stopped doing that and went in and slaughtered everyone without any care for stealth or silent kills.

Preload times

Preload – "Play Early" Phase: Sep 28 @ 1600 UTC
Preload – Global Launch: Sep 28 @ 1600 UTC

Playable – "Play Early": Oct 2 @ 1600 UTC
Playable – Global Launch: Oct 5 @ 1600 UTC

Has anyone who ordered from GMG been able to use UPlay Connect to claim their code yet?
I'm not sure if they're still waiting for Ubisoft to release the game codes or if I need to contact their CS.

This is what my order page looks like:

ZcMCMbb.png

For me anyway, I'm still "awaiting key". I imagine it will take a little longer. Assuming the times posted above, PreLoad starts today, 9/28 . I imagine keys or whatever apparatus is necessary to apply the game to your UPlay account should arrive soon. I imagine the game is sizable and not everyone has a gigabit or even 100 megabit ISP connection, so them enabling pre-load today makes sense to give people time.

Edit: Speaking of GMG...

GMG has a really awesome 23% discount global voucher , but sadly it is NOT applicable to AC Odyssey (or quite a few other titles, notably BlackOps III and even Destiny 2's Forsaken Expansion). There is a page listing all the exclusions; rather frustrating.

Has anyone who ordered from GMG been able to use UPlay Connect to claim their code yet?
I'm not sure if they're still waiting for Ubisoft to release the game codes or if I need to contact their CS.

This is what my order page looks like:

View attachment 107142
I got my activation at 16:43 CET. BTW there is no code you sign in with uplayconnect and the game just appears within uplay.

While you are pre-loading, you can check out some of the game's achievements (Club Challenges) and Club Rewards! Note that these UPlay Club points are used to unlock all the content, without additional purchase; in fact, if you've played other Ubi / Uplay titles you probably already have a bunch of them to spend as they're thankfully account-wide! A few of the items include..

Medjay Crew Theme for your ship - 30 pts)
Babylonian sails/ship design - 30 pts
Phoenician sails/ship design - 30 pts
Arcane Sword - 10 pts
Eagle Kopis - LOCKED, exclusive reward requires participation in "Selected Community Contests". Have to look into this....
Epsilon Blade - LOCKED , exclusive reward requires participation in "selected community activities". Sounds like this could be part of the live events system, similar to what they did for Origins
Mycenaean Armor - 10pts
Mycenaean Axe - 10pts
Mycenaean Dory - LOCKED "Play a Ubisoft Demo directly at a Gaming Event in 2018" . Sounds like this means physically going to a trade show or something?
Mycenaean Steed - 20 pts
The Rearranger - 10 pts
Thrakian Bow - 10 pts
AC Odyssey Fan Kit from E3 - Free
Temporary Drachma Boost - 10 pts - this notes that the temp boosts increase collection by 25% for 2 Hours and do NOT stack with permanent boosts. Good thing is they're cheap in terms of points
Temporary XP Boost - 10 pts - same parameters as above
Evie from AC Syndicate as a Lieutenant on your ship - LOCKED , Requires "Master Assassin" badge/achievement. Looking into the achievement, it has to do with getting lots of XP over all AC series games tied to your account. I should definitely already have this, but it may not unlock until after launch.
Initiate's Pouch granting some drachmas and crafting materials - LOCKED, requires "Initiate" badge; same idea as above, just a lot less XP. required
The Assassins (Female) crew theme for your ship - LOCKED, requires "Assassin" badge; same as above middling amount of XP required
The Assassin's (Male) crew theme for your ship - LOCKED, requires "Assassin" badge; same as above.

So that's about it so far and its nice to have some new unlockable content like this. I should mention that most weapons are flagged as "Rare", ship mods and some crew are "Epic", while both Evie as Lieutenant and the Assassins crew type are "Exotic" which I believe is how Odyssey notes highest-tier/legendary gear?

However certain elements do raise questions. For instance, in past AC games buying the Season Pass and/or Gold Edition (or what today should be an Ultimate Edition which is already more expensive normally) would convey a permanent XP / currency boost. However, last I checked even Ultimate doesn't do so but instead notes it comes with temporary boosts. If this is correct, then where are the permanent ones to be found? I'm guessing likely on an in-game store somewhere for additional surcharge; not necessarily a bad idea but frankly I think those who buy the Gold and Ultimate editions have paid enough!

The community "contests" and "activities" needed to unlock some of the items will probably be revealed in time; I'll have to double check that none of them are pre-launch events on a website somewhere though. I imagine there will be lots more content to unlock through those special challenges that aren't even listed on the Rewards tab.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edit: PreLoad is a bit surprising - at the moment, its only about 45 GB in size. I honestly thought it would be almost double that. Now, I don't know how much game data is missing or if to enable certain features (ie 1440p / 4K texture support etc) there's more to download, but generally Ubi doesn't seem to do that very often. I expect they'll be another patch at launch to unlock the whole thing, but it remains to be seen if that is a gigabyte or two versus another 20!

Last edited:
like this
Good, I think people with more money to spend shouldn't get even a temporary xp boost. Or anything that would make a pay to win situation.

All the UPlay challenges/rewards are visible in the client now. I just downloaded a 1.33 GB patch, too.

so review embargo lifts tomorrow?...it's going to be interesting to read the reviews...I'm guessing that it's going to be Origins+ which will disappoint some looking for more of a jump from the last game...I'm going to guess scores in the 7-8 range...

Reviews out today. Getting great scores, unsurprisingly.

"This is one of the best Assassin's Creed games Ubisoft has ever made, joining the likes of Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood at the very top of the franchise's hierarchy."

Last edited:
Back