Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Excuse me if I'm wrong, isn't that how RPGs work generally? Things are level-gated? What difficulty level are you playing on? I suggest you play on the lowest. Hmm, strange about the mercs jumping on you so quick. But I play on the easiest difficulty so i basically shred most enemies except the higher level or elite enemies.
No, in most RPGs you can successfully take on higher level enemies. it will be a bit harder, but not impossible. Here if an enemy is one level over me it will take all the luck in the world to take down. And if it is two levels above? It becomes virtually invincible.
I started on medium difficulty and everything went fine until about level 9 or 10, when suddenly the whole game became extremely hard. And switching to easy didn't seem to make any difference. I mean I might have forgotten how to play between level 9 and level 10, but that's the least likely explanation.
The day/ night cycle has been stuck since I landed in megaris.It's been midday ever since. So I can easily imagine that I'm experiencing other bugs as well. As I said in my above post: Is it normal that I get shredded during normal exploration by mercs that are on the same level, or even bellow me? But during a conquest battle I can win without much effort? During normal exploration on easy one hit takes about 1/4 of my health. Or 1/2 if it is an elite enemy. During conquest battle, when I get hit it takes no more than a tiny bit of my health?!

I wouldn't say hes playing the game wrong. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about calling what hes doing wrong, as every person plays to their own preferences. So, from what I can tell from reading his posts, I think hes looking to complete the main storyline, explore the world and do so preferably at his own pace and motion. Hes not a big fan of the notion of being level-gated, which dovetails with his desire to go at his own pace and choosing.

Now that runs into a few problems. To actually finish the game and the storyline, you gotta level to get the equipment and power to actually pass the challenges, meaning by default he needs to complete side missions, explore, not merely for exploring, but also for killing forts and caves and etc.

So, for you M76,
One, I recommend playing on the easiest level. Two, I can't tell if maybe your not doing the most efficient builds (as in the combos of abilities, equipment you are using) so I can just tell you my experience. Playing on the easiest difficulty, I focused on using the equipment I picked up along the way. No buying, engraving, or upgrading. Every so often, I check the equipment, and picked new equipment with better stats. In the beginning, I focused on DPS and Armor, but I realized like lvl.15 that there were other important stats. (woops)

So my style is usually assassin with melee close-in (and accordingly, I pick equipment that increases my assassin stat. I have another set for warrior, but barring a few times, I get by without needing to switch), so my abilities are focused assassin with warrior abilities the Sparta Kick and the Bull knockdown, as well as the increase weapon damage and armor. Generally I find all normal enemies die in 3-4 hits. I usually take very little damage. Fighting elites, take longer, I take more damage, but generally I dodge and parry most damage.

Mercenaries, First, I don't do missions (bounties and contracts I think) that build up my bounty level too much in succession. Mostly cause one, I find them tedious, two, generally I fulfill them while doing main and side quests and missions. Actually on that note, I just mass accept the quests, and if they get fulfilled, awesome, if not I dont care cause they are basically grind missions of the lowest form. (No exposition at all either)

Next, In regards to grinding in general, I've never really had a problem with grinding, being under-levelled or such. Now, I will say I spent a lot of time in Megaris essentially setting up both a Spartan and Athenian takeover after the main story moved to Phocis. (Trying to get a hang of the game)

Ship Battles, in my uninformed, merely visual opinion, are the best way to get money and resources. Several things about ship battles that make it easier than land battles. One, the mechanics are pretty easy, ram, shoot arrows, brace, shoot more arrows, then either fight them by boarding, or if your not feeling it, ram them at high speed, in the middle/bright red (indicating weak point) and you get more resources from ramming and sinking them in half, but you miss out on the chest loot. Two, if you find yourself being swarmed, your travel speed is faster than other ships so you can high tail it to a port.

Ship mercs, and a general tip for ship battles. Lure them to near shore/shallow waters. Why? One, the ship AI crashes into the landmass, and you can take advantage of it to throw volleys and ram at your leisure.
Example, Melos island (level 20) is a fun area for ship battles. I've gotten up to the highest merc level and I'm perfectly fine cause I lure the ships to the narrow channel between the island on Melos, then when the AI gets confused at trying to follow my faster ship, they run into the land and I ram them. Also, the shallow water gives you a better chance of the shipwrecks not sinking too fast before you can dive into the water and loot them.
This game is not hard on easy, it's barely hard on nightmare. The world is steamlined so much your almost on rails.
That's more than enough grinding exactly. For me no grinding is enough grinding. As soon as I Can't do the quests I want, and can't explore where I want and what I want without grinding we start to have problems.

That means nothing to me. I have maybe one gold item, but I Can't control what I get as loot.

What do you mean you're not supposed to tank trough? What is the other option? I mean I can run away from a fight, but that yields no xp. I don't even know how is it possible to do anything on nightmare as I get killed by two or three hits on easy by some enemies.

Strange thing is, I just did a conquest battle, but that was child's play compared to regular quests trough the game. And I've seen everyone saying the opposite that conquest battles are the hard part. And this was a conquest battle that the game classified as "hard". WTF is going on? I'm still wondering if the game is broken somehow.

Maybe don't play open world games? They tend to be at least slightly grindy if that's what you consider grinding.

Like I mentioned before, you can disengage enemies just by running around with shift on, climbing and ducking until you break agro, unless you completely leave the area they will retain the damage you have done, and you'll heal within a few moments of breaking agro. This is particularly useful against fire bounty hunters, as you can stack a few assassinations on them and finish them with a poke.

Make sure your gear is similar level to you, it helps alot. This is actually the first game I have used a blacksmiths upgrade option. I can't comment on non-nightmare but in nightmare it's about 3-4 hits from a regular troop, and 2 from anything else to kill me. Hard which I drop down to for conquest is about 6 hits from regulars and 3 from anything else. Fire is almost an instant death in both, so I get very careful when fire guys are around.

As for in game time, I have noticed that almost every cutscenes seems to reset the clock to daytime, which is annoying as hell. In fact compared to origins this game is chocked full of little bugs like that, it's annoying as hell. Floating creatures, time resets, glitchy climbing on smaller features, loot icons (and the hold button timer) resetting because I move the camera slightly or something does such as a wave.

Have you googled to see if the difficulty glitches?

Speaking of going at your pace, I want to express at how much pleasure I'm enjoying from being able to connect the activities I'm doing in-game to the overacting themes of the narrative the game gives us. Like, I'm really really into the fact we basically are embarking on our own Odyssey, our own epic poem is being written (or retold since you know, modern era story), and that its being done in Ancient Greece. Like the narrative choice to have the main character be a mercenary, ugh, it works so well with the story, the gameplay systems, everything. Also, I'm actually finding my desire to explore on my own pace to be blunted by the desire to follow the story. (And obviously the level-gates) I dunno, I'm just really finding this game to be really addicting. Also, the mechanic that is basically you lopping off heads? Good way to encourage and promote exploring the world.

No, in most RPGs you can successfully take on higher level enemies. it will be a bit harder, but not impossible. Here if an enemy is one level over me it will take all the luck in the world to take down. And if it is two levels above? It becomes virtually invincible.
I started on medium difficulty and everything went fine until about level 9 or 10, when suddenly the whole game became extremely hard. And switching to easy didn't seem to make any difference. I mean I might have forgotten how to play between level 9 and level 10, but that's the least likely explanation.
The day/ night cycle has been stuck since I landed in megaris.It's been midday ever since. So I can easily imagine that I'm experiencing other bugs as well. As I said in my above post: Is it normal that I get shredded during normal exploration by mercs that are on the same level, or even bellow me? But during a conquest battle I can win without much effort? During normal exploration on easy one hit takes about 1/4 of my health. Or 1/2 if it is an elite enemy. During conquest battle, when I get hit it takes no more than a tiny bit of my health?!

Mercs are basically elite enemies, you shouldn't be murdering them like your doing to the regular enemies in conquest battle. I assume your parrying or dodging their attacks right? When they glow red, those attacks are dangerous, not parryable, and you need to dodge them. You mentioned tanking, you don't tank damage, at least not in my opinion, your basically dodging/parrying all the time in my experience.

This game is not hard on easy, it's barely hard on nightmare. The world is steamlined so much your almost on rails.
Let me ask this. Did you experience a change in difficulty after or around level 10? Because until then I played on medium and for the most part I was considering switching to hard it felt so easy, just look at my previous posts in the thread. Then suddenly all hell breaks loose and I Can't even defeat enemies on easy? I'm telling you something is not right.

Maybe don't play open world games? They tend to be at least slightly grindy if that's what you consider grinding.
No, I consider forced grinding grinding. In every open world game I played I could progress in the main quest without having to do a prerequisite amount of side quests. Don't try to sell this as normal for every open world game, because I Know it is not.

Like I mentioned before, you can disengage enemies just by running around with shift on, climbing and ducking until you break agro, unless you completely leave the area they will retain the damage you have done, and you'll heal within a few moments of breaking agro. This is particularly useful against fire bounty hunters, as you can stack a few assassinations on them and finish them with a poke.
That doesn't seem to be working for me either. If I run away, they'll come out of the fort, and follow me half way trough the forest until finally they give up. And start walking back. And every fucking time I take out 90% of the camp using stealth. But then comes the elite enemies. and by the time I could defeat them, two or three mercs waltz in, the alarm is raised and I get 6-8 soldiers riding in as well. They surround me, and I can't even run away.

Make sure your gear is similar level to you, it helps alot. This is actually the first game I have used a blacksmiths upgrade option. I can't comment on non-nightmare but in nightmare it's about 3-4 hits from a regular troop, and 2 from anything else to kill me. Hard which I drop down to for conquest is about 6 hits from regulars and 3 from anything else. Fire is almost an instant death in both, so I get very careful when fire guys are around.
WTF? That's about what I said above. I dunno about you, but it seems to me that somehow the game managed to glitch itself to nightmare for me, while it switches back to easy for conquest battles.

As for in game time, I have noticed that almost every cutscenes seems to reset the clock to daytime, which is annoying as hell. In fact compared to origins this game is chocked full of little bugs like that, it's annoying as hell. Floating creatures, time resets, glitchy climbing on smaller features, loot icons (and the hold button timer) resetting because I move the camera slightly or something does such as a wave.
Well I haven't noticed that, since all I get is daytime for as long as I can remember.

Good way to encourage and promote exploring the world.
It's the exact opposite, I've tried exploring at the beginning only to be faced with enemies, hell not enemies, regular wild animals that I couldn't hurt, and they could one hit assassinate me. That's when my dreams of exploring the world were shattered. Guided exploration is not my cup of tea. Neither is combing a single area for all collectibles and every poi.

Mercs are basically elite enemies, you shouldn't be murdering them like your doing to the regular enemies in conquest battle. I assume your parrying or dodging their attacks right? When they glow red, those attacks are dangerous, not parryable, and you need to dodge them. You mentioned tanking, you don't tank damage, at least not in my opinion, your basically dodging/parrying all the time in my experience.
But during the conquest battle I could take down mercs as well, yes some mercs actually showed up during conquest battles. Of course I'm parrying and dodging, I do nothing else. By tanking I meant going in to the thick of it, and not running away from elite enemies.

Well, hold M and you can "mediate" the sun/night cycle. So you hate grinding but you play RPGs? What about witcher 3? the amount of people saying its similar is a lot but I remember being bored to tears doing the side missions. What RPGs do you play the main storyline and not need side quests?

Regarding running away, you can run away, and eventually they will give up (but usually they dont run that far for me), but you don't need to run much at all, in my opinion, all I need to do is move a short distance and hide in a bush or other concealed cover as noted by the game UI and they give up in a bit. Hell, sometimes I just go up a story or turn a corner and they lose me.

You get soldiers running in on you? Other than mercs? Stop them by sneaking to the alert fire beacon and trap it. Are you using your bird? its the "V" button. The bird spots enemies, chests, etc. Makes assassinating easy as hell.

Yeah, if your getting this stuck on easy, theres something bugged or your missing something somewhere. Also my comment about exploring the world, you haven't reached that mechanic yet. In Spoiler tags, could you tell me your current level, and what your main questline is on at the moment? Also I hate to say this, you need to work around and accept that your gonna be level-gated for the entirety of the game. With that said, past Phocis your options for quest zones to level start increasing. From the first island, Megaris, Phocis, you basically aren't given a option to go off the path. (Both in that the main questline, and the level-gate are intent on you going through it, since the regions around you are basically offlimits)

Hmm. Actually, through you probably felt like the game was finally opening up to you for exploration, I think I can tell you thats not true yet. (If Im right and your below my level and point in the story) Actually, I saw a few reddit comments that basically said more mechanics keep appearing in the game even through they felt that first "tutorial" feel was over, having experienced it, I agree with them as well.

Let me ask this. Did you experience a change in difficulty after or around level 10? Because until then I played on medium and for the most part I was considering switching to hard it felt so easy, just look at my previous posts in the thread. Then suddenly all hell breaks loose and I Can't even defeat enemies on easy? I'm telling you something is not right.

No, I consider forced grinding grinding. In every open world game I played I could progress in the main quest without having to do a prerequisite amount of side quests. Don't try to sell this as normal for every open world game, because I Know it is not.

That doesn't seem to be working for me either. If I run away, they'll come out of the fort, and follow me half way trough the forest until finally they give up. And start walking back. And every fucking time I take out 90% of the camp using stealth. But then comes the elite enemies. and by the time I could defeat them, two or three mercs waltz in, the alarm is raised and I get 6-8 soldiers riding in as well. They surround me, and I can't even run away.

WTF? That's about what I said above. I dunno about you, but it seems to me that somehow the game managed to glitch itself to nightmare for me, while it switches back to easy for conquest battles.

Well I haven't noticed that, since all I get is daytime for as long as I can remember.

Yes, after tutorial it gets more difficult, but not much.

Equipment is important because it makes things easier for you.

It is no more forced than any other open world RPG I have played, it's a subjective experience but I play a lot of open world games, this is not a grind compared to most.

You make running harder than it has to be, literally changing a few z levels, ducking a corner is all you need to break agro. Open fields are a nightmare to run in they chase forever use your horse if your in the open.

Increased difficultly could be due to the following: your under leveled for the area, your gear is crap, your build is poor (hard to see in this game, but maybe?), or the game is glitched. Eliminating them in order helps to find the problem.

It's the exact opposite, I've tried exploring at the beginning only to be faced with enemies, hell not enemies, regular wild animals that I couldn't hurt, and they could one hit assassinate me. That's when my dreams of exploring the world were shattered. Guided exploration is not my cup of tea. Neither is combing a single area for all collectibles and every poi.

No worries, Ubi has the perfect microtransaction tailored just for you....and it only costs $10!

Even PC Gamer is now pointing this out despite giving it a 90% rating.

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-odysseys-dollar10-xp-boost-leaves-a-bit-of-a-sour-taste/

The problem with that buff is your gear and crafting mat acquisition stays the default speed. Your level will be higher but you will fall behind on the gear curve which could lead to more problems. And do make sure you get the gold buff, too, otherwise you won't be able to afford upgrades.

The buffs are also permanent and can never be turned off, even if you're leveling too fast later on.

I would actually prefer a -50% xp/gold buff. I'd pay $10 for that.

Yes, after tutorial it gets more difficult, but not much.

Equipment is important because it makes things easier for you.

It is no more forced than any other open world RPG I have played, it's a subjective experience but I play a lot of open world games, this is not a grind compared to most.

You make running harder than it has to be, literally changing a few z levels, ducking a corner is all you need to break agro. Open fields are a nightmare to run in they chase forever use your horse if your in the open.

Increased difficultly could be due to the following: your under leveled for the area, your gear is crap, your build is poor (hard to see in this game, but maybe?), or the game is glitched. Eliminating them in order helps to find the problem.
I'm telling you the difficulty is glitched, just as day / nightime

1. I have the best equipment available everything is at my level, except maybe the headpiece.
  2. As you can re-spec anytime in the game, I've tried several builds, so that's not it either.
  3. No it didn't get more difficult after the tutorial it got more difficult after the first conquest battle and not slightly, but a day and night difference. I was breezing trough the game on medium up to that point. Then suddenly I can't beat elite enemies on easy.
  4. I'm not under levelled. If I'm bellow even 1 level of the enemies I can't do shit. If I'm on the same level I can beat them but it is difficult.
  5. When I played a conquest battle suddenly everything went back to easy, then after it was over it was back to being difficult. During the conquest battle when they hit me only a tiny bit of my health was removed.As opposed to loosing close to half my health to an elite in normal gameplay. And it's not like these enemies were bellow my level, it was still on the same level. And it was a conquest battle classified as hard by the game, with an elite captain and a merc included.

I might try to flip the game to nightmare maybe that's the new easy :p

The problem with that buff is your gear and crafting mat acquisition stays the default speed. Your level will be higher but you will fall behind on the gear curve which could lead to more problems. And do make sure you get the gold buff, too, otherwise you won't be able to afford upgrades.

The buffs are also permanent and can never be turned off, even if you're leveling too fast later on.

I would actually prefer a -50% xp/gold buff. I'd pay $10 for that.
You can't afford upgrades as is already, It's not about the gold, it's about olive wood. I never have enough of that. So I'm constantly throwing away my gear and replacing it with new higher level ones.

If they think I'd pay any amount to make the game less of a grindfest after paying 80 for it already, then they're dead wrong. As I've said they committed suicide in my eyes. At best they can expect me to pirate their games from here on out.

Well, hold M and you can "mediate" the sun/night cycle. So you hate grinding but you play RPGs? What about witcher 3? the amount of people saying its similar is a lot but I remember being bored to tears doing the side missions. What RPGs do you play the main storyline and not need side quests?
Don't tell me about witcher, I don't like that either. And the entire witcher fandom is up in arms against me. Even with the difficulty being glitched as it is this is a far more enjoyable game than the witcher series.

Regarding running away, you can run away, and eventually they will give up (but usually they dont run that far for me), but you don't need to run much at all, in my opinion, all I need to do is move a short distance and hide in a bush or other concealed cover as noted by the game UI and they give up in a bit. Hell, sometimes I just go up a story or turn a corner and they lose me.
Sometimes they give up, sometimes they don't.
You get soldiers running in on you? Other than mercs? Stop them by sneaking to the alert fire beacon and trap it. Are you using your bird? its the "V" button. The bird spots enemies, chests, etc. Makes assassinating easy as hell.
You can't assassinate elite enemies. I have no difficulty wiping out regular enemies in the entire camp using arrows and assassinations. But eventually always comes a point where there is an elite enemy in the way.

What? If I shoot them with arrows I'm immediately detected.
"Detected" means the red bar flashes and you enter combat. There is no such thing as immediate detection in this game, it only happens when the enemy physically sees you.
You can shoot enemies, including mercs, in the head without being detected. Then sneak up and stealth attack.

I also have more wood than any other mat. Probably from boat combat.

dChkpxh.png

You can't assassinate elite enemies. I have no difficulty wiping out regular enemies in the entire camp using arrows and assassinations. But eventually always comes a point where there is an elite enemy in the way.
Is this on Nightmare? On Normal mode you should be able to 1-hit assassinate everyone except Mercs. With good gear you can actually take at-level mercs down in 1 hit as well.

Otherwise it's going to come down to buffs and stats. I think the point of Nightmare is that you either need perfect gear to kill people instantly or you have to expect combat.

Is this on Nightmare? On Normal mode you should be able to 1-hit assassinate everyone except Mercs. With good gear you can actually take at-level mercs down in 1 hit as well.

Otherwise it's going to come down to buffs and stats. I think the point of Nightmare is that you either need perfect gear to kill people instantly or you have to expect combat.
Well duh that's exactly my problem. I'm supposed to be on easy, but for all intents and purposes the game plays as if it is set to nightmare except for conquest battles. The only ones I can 1 hit assassinate are regular footsoldiers. After upgrading, without the upgrade I can't even take those. With the bloodthirtsy arrow or wathever it is called, I can take maybe 1/3 health of captains and less than 1/4 of mercs. With regular arrows might as well be throwing snowballs at them.

Last edited:
Well duh that's exactly my problem. I'm supposed to be on easy, but for all intents and purposes the game plays as if it is set to nightmare except for conquest battles. The only ones I can 1 hit assassinate are regular footsoldiers. After upgrading, without the upgrade I can't even take those. With the bloodthirtsy arrow or wathever it is called, I can take maybe 1/3 health of captains and less than 1/4 of mercs. With regular arrows might as well be throwing snowballs at them.

Here you go, problem solved for free.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/assa...offers-for-free-the-game-changing-xp-booster/

Fuck you Ubi.

all i see is a ton of complaining from you and being a dick to people trying to help.

all i see is a ton of complaining from you and being a dick to people trying to help.
It sounds like his game is bugged. On easy mode he shouldn't have any problems killing elite guards with stealth stabs. Even without assassination gear, the Crit Assassination ability will do it easily.

Also, unrelated, I just noticed the stats from your 2nd melee weapon apply at all times, even when you're not using it. Big bonus there.

It sounds like his game is bugged. On easy mode he shouldn't have any problems killing elite guards with stealth stabs. Even without assassination gear, the Crit Assassination ability will do it easily.

Also, unrelated, I just noticed the stats from your 2nd melee weapon apply at all times, even when you're not using it. Big bonus there.

yeah i gathered that, but the last 3 pages is one dude spamming.

all weapons equipped apply their bonuses, but you only get a second melee slot after spear level 4 i think.

Yeah I'm being a dick for saying "duh" After 3 pages of people trying to convince me that "I'm playing it wrong" or "I suck at the game" or "I shouldn't even be playing it" Get a mirror.

Started on Nightmare difficulty at the start, but currently playing it on hard level. Not too bad...Do die some times, but giving as good as i'm getting. Bow is nice for thinning down the herd...lol. Currently in Mageris, so most likely will get harder, but looking forward to it. Do have a few times where mobs just stand there while your hitting or shooting at them, but that bug isn't too common so far.

Yeah I'm being a dick for saying "duh" After 3 pages of people trying to convince me that "I'm playing it wrong" or "I suck at the game" or "I shouldn't even be playing it" Get a mirror.
I understand some of your frustration, but you often come off as being upset that the game isn't letting you play the game the way you want to instead of adapting to the game mechanics. To be fair, from what I've read it sounds like the difficulty is bugged if you change it in the middle of a game. You might have to start a new game on the chosen difficulty level for it to actually take effect.

Reactions: M76
like this
I understand some of your frustration, but you often come off as being upset that the game isn't letting you play the game the way you want to instead of adapting to the game mechanics. To be fair, from what I've read it sounds like the difficulty is bugged if you change it in the middle of a game. You might have to start a new game on the chosen difficulty level for it to actually take effect.
Well of course, I don't want to adopt to a mechanic that I think is garbage. Mainly the huge difference in stats between levels.

I don't think I'd like to start a new game after spending 14 hours on it already. I'd rather wait for a patch to fix the difficulty settings problem. Or I'll just use the trainer, just to stick it to ubisoft.

Patch 1.0.3 adds a storage chest to the boat.
Quiver size increased, too: 70 Normal 35 Special.

Comes out on PC tomorrow.
Quiver size is really necessary with the amount of arrows you can waste. Especially without having the powers don't consume arrows skill.

As for the storage chest: Wasn't the inventory already unlimited, or I just never hit the limit until now?

Quiver size is really necessary with the amount of arrows you can waste. Especially without having the powers don't consume arrows skill.

As for the storage chest: Wasn't the inventory already unlimited, or I just never hit the limit until now?
Inventory cap for weaps and armor is 350.

Sorry you are having a rough time. I don't really understand what the problem is? I'm playing on the normal level and having a blast. I'm level 21 and have no problem taking out enemies at my level or even a few higher.

I do have a problem with some quests not being possible to complete though. One quest, "Find the girl" or something like that, has all the NPCs dead for me. I can't interview anyone, every time I go there they are just dead on the ground lol

I've tried resetting it by doing other quests and coming back. Nothing works.

This should help for all the stealthers having damage problems.

View attachment 110727

Speaking of those bonuses, do they work only when the weapon is used or does it go into a general stat pool of death? Also, its unfortunate to hear your game is bugged M76. For my part, I started at Nightmare, then in the game I turned down the difficulty and it adjusted accordingly. Nice to hear about the quiver increase. Kinda feel like restarting on a higher difficulty level to try min-maxing my stats.

I'm playing on hard and i'm into the meat of the game at this point and not having overly difficult situations either. Some of the fights are tough for sure, but they are winnable. The bounty problem is a fairly easy one - Either you pay off the bounty, or you make sure you kill off all the mercenary's that you can in your level range.

Back