Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Ship battles definitely have a larger part to play than in Origins. The ship battles are very different from Black Flag however (we are talking about Ancient Greek vessels after all)..

I haven't spent a lot of time sailing the oceans yet, but yes to open sea ship travel, ship boarding and looting, ship upgrades (including ship crew), sea shanties (not collectibles), naval contracts.. The controls and maneuverability feels tighter than in Black Flag. I am unsure about legendary ships at this stage or forts.

So far the focus on the naval aspect are not to same degree as Black Flag but it definitely has it's own sizable part to play in the overall package.
Wow, if this is tight compared to that, then I loath to even think what was it like in black flag. Because this is the first part of the game that seems pretty bad to me. I feel like I'm suddenly in a total war game, it is so underwhelming and so sparingly designed seems like it was made for a top down strategy game.

The asset share between Origins and Odyssey is certainly there. However, the overall environment and how the terrain and buildings etc look is vast different.

Origins, while being set in ancient Egypt, was set in Ptolemaic Egypt, which was for all practical purposes, an extention of Greece, Greek was the official language, the buildings looked Greek influenced. Ptolemy was an Alexander era Greek.

So the shared asset use, which could been seen as UBI just being lazy (potentially correct), also makes sense in a historical sense.

One thing they did absolutely right is how well they captured how Greece looks. The terrain and "feel" of Odyssey's setting is damn near perfect.

The game is playable on KB/M especially if you are used to playing AC games. It is more fluid on a controller though.

It is more fluid on a controller though.
What does that even mean? I don't want fluid, I want controllable. And KB/Mouse works perfectly for me in the game. There are some odd things in the default layout that need getting used to but otherwise it is perfect.

What does that even mean? I don't want fluid, I want controllable. And KB/Mouse works perfectly for me in the game. There are some odd things in the default layout that need getting used to but otherwise it is perfect.

Honestly the explanation would be lost on you. You are pretty vehemently KB/M in discussions in past AC games.

That being said, all the "odd things" don't exist on controller. The combat is pretty much controller centric and it is more fluid, or flows better then with KB/M, it is easier to counter and perry with the controller. So practically all of the aspects of the game are more controllable. Even the parkuor aspect of the game is more fluid with a controller.

I am using KB/M as well, but played with a XBoneX controller for the first couple of hours. I just hate the aiming dynamic with a thumb stick and always end up using the bow a lot, and that is pretty much the only part of the game were a KB/M is better/more controllable is quick precision aiming.

If my stealth attacks are killing enemies in 1 hit, does that mean Assassin Damage gear is useless?

Honestly the explanation would be lost on you. You are pretty vehemently KB/M in discussions in past AC games.

That being said, all the "odd things" don't exist on controller. The combat is pretty much controller centric and it is more fluid, or flows better then with KB/M, it is easier to counter and perry with the controller. So practically all of the aspects of the game are more controllable. Even the parkuor aspect of the game is more fluid with a controller.
Geez thanks for that. I ask what do you mean by fluid and you explain by saying more fluid! Yeah that's really lost on me.
Why is it easier to counter with the controller? You're still pressing a button to parry, there is nothing different about it. The only difference is that you can use the sticks to control movement speed, but it's not necessary as the game already smooths out movement speed, when you go from running to walking or the other way.

I am using KB/M as well, but played with a XBoneX controller for the first couple of hours. I just hate the aiming dynamic with a thumb stick and always end up using the bow a lot, and that is pretty much the only part of the game were a KB/M is better/more controllable is quick precision aiming.
Then you preach A and do B? GTFO. That's the reason I'm playing with KB/Mouse as well, the aiming. But the rest of the game is perfectly playable with KB/mouse too. So I don't feel I'm loosing anything.

Geez thanks for that. I ask what do you mean by fluid and you explain by saying more fluid! Yeah that's really lost on me.
Why is it easier to counter with the controller? You're still pressing a button to parry, there is nothing different about it. The only difference is that you can use the sticks to control movement speed, but it's not necessary as the game already smooths out movement speed, when you go from running to walking or the other way.

Hence why I said it would be lost on you. Play with what ever you want, use a fucking HOTAS is that gets your rocks off, you already stated that you had no idea what fluidity when using a controller means, I can only explain so much, when practical hand on usage is the only way to see the difference. On a KB/M, with the stock controls, you have to hit X to perry (I meant perry before), which unless you have moved it elsewhere, you need you hit with a moment finger. With a controller you do not have that limitation, so that is the example I used as more fluid.

Then you preach A and do B? GTFO. That's the reason I'm playing with KB/Mouse as well, the aiming. But the rest of the game is perfectly playable with KB/mouse too. So I don't feel I'm loosing anything.

I didn't preach anything just stated the facts, given that I actually tried both and decided that the benefits of using a controller for a game that is clearly designed around a controller, were outweighed by the fact that I prefer aiming the bow with a KB/M. As opposed to arguing a fact based on muh feels. Yes you are right Odyssey is playable with KB/M, but you do not know you lost anything because you have not played the game with a controller.

I am actually wondering how quick the game switch between mouse and keyboard, if it would be fluid enough to just use KB/M when using the bow.

Last edited:

Mack seems to like it overall. With better combat and story than Origins I'm jumping in.

Hence why I said it would be lost on you. Play with what ever you want, use a fucking HOTAS is that gets your rocks off, you already stated that you had no idea what fluidity when using a controller means, I can only explain so much, when practical hand on usage is the only way to see the difference. On a KB/M, with the stock controls, you have to hit X to perry (I meant perry before), which unless you have moved it elsewhere, you need you hit with a moment finger. With a controller you do not have that limitation, so that is the example I used as more fluid.

I didn't preach anything just stated the facts, given that I actually tried both and decided that the benefits of using a controller for a game that is clearly designed around a controller, were outweighed by the fact that I prefer aiming the bow with a KB/M. As opposed to arguing a fact based on muh feels. Yes you are right Odyssey is playable with KB/M, but you do not know you lost anything because you have not played the game with a controller.

I am actually wondering how quick the game switch between mouse and keyboard, if it would be fluid enough to just use KB/M when using the bow.
How else can you decide what to play the game with than feels? This is the exact situation when #feelsmatter.

Why so defensive? You state A and do B. That's a fact :)

You think this is my first rodeo? I played enough games to know exactly what I loose by not playing with a controller. And for me the trade-off is worth it 1000 times over. Nothing can offset that aiming is more difficult with a controller. And no sir, I'm never going to resort to autoaim. Might as well watch a rolling demo then.

And wtf is perry? or should I say who is perry?

Last edited:
This Perry?

Perry_the_platypus_by_sarrel-d3gvo02.png

PSA, claimed Ubisoft Club items cannot be sold or dismantled. They will be in your inventory forever.
If you even click the "Get It" button on the club window, they will be automatically placed in your inventory.

They're good at low level but suck beyond that. My advice, don't claim them. The cosmetic skins for your ship/horse are fine though.

PSA, claimed Ubisoft Club items cannot be sold or dismantled. They will be in your inventory forever.
If you even click the "Get It" button on the club window, they will be automatically placed in your inventory.

They're good at low level but suck beyond that. My advice, don't claim them. The cosmetic skins for your ship/horse are fine though.
Wish I would have read this yesterday, lol

I think I'll skip Odyssey...I played all the AC games except Origins and am officially burnt out...beautifully rendered cities but same basic gameplay...

This couldn't be further from the truth. Origins and more so for Odyssey has taken the gameplay in a very different direction. You are able to create your own play style much more than any previous Assassins Creed title. Of course the game does still include a lot of the tropes of past Assassins Creed titles, but this is not a cookie cutter experience by any means.

This couldn't be further from the truth. Origins and more so for Odyssey has taken the gameplay in a very different direction. You are able to create your own play style much more than any previous Assassins Creed title. Of course the game does still include a lot of the tropes of past Assassins Creed titles, but this is not a cookie cutter experience by any means.

maybe I'll give it a go when it drops in price...overall it's still the same basic AC structure with some new wrinkles thrown in...I'm saying this as a fan of the series so it's not like I never played any of the games...overall I'm just bored of the series and want to play games that are different (I recently finished Shadow of the Tome Raider and am looking forward to Metro Exodus, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and maybe Division 2)

Unlike Origins, POI's won't appear on your map until you're within a specified distance. This means you will need to periodically take your bird, fly as high as possible, and scout around. Unlocking more towers increases his view range (I think). With about 20 towers his view distance is 700m.

And no, Guided/Exploration mode has no effect.

Given the size of the map... This is very annoying. If you noticed many empty zones during your playthrough, this is probably why. Go back and use Ikarus.

"Assassin's Creed?! More like Assassin's Greed!". I love Stirling, one of the few critics willing to consistently call out Ubisoft on its bullshit.

Unlike Origins, POI's won't appear on your map until you're within a specified distance. This means you will need to periodically take your bird, fly as high as possible, and scout around. Unlocking more towers increases his view range (I think). With about 20 towers his view distance is 700m.

And no, Guided/Exploration mode has no effect.

Given the size of the map... This is very annoying. If you noticed many empty zones during your playthrough, this is probably why. Go back and use Ikarus.
Well it's not like you can know there is something there until you go there :D So this is actually more lifelike, I understand game mechanics and all, but I think exploration is better if you don't know beforehand where to look and that you'll find something there. I'm fine with not being handheld all the way.

Tried HDR in the game, but when I quit it fucks up desktop colors, anyone had this issue? I have to turn HDR on and then off in windows after quitting to restore original colors.

As for HDR itself this is the first game I've tried with that. And I'm unimpressed. It completely changes the look of the game that's for sure, but I doubt it is for the better. Everything is extremely bright and vivid, the colors are over saturated, and game almost looks like it is using cell shading with HDR on. I don't feel it is adding anything to the experience.

Anybody else have a bug that makes time stop passing every night? Moon gets stuck about halfway across the sky, just stops moving.
Only way to fix it is to meditate or fast travel. Then when the day finishes, night comes, and the moon stops again. Every night.

Tried 3 different drivers can't stay at 4k when you land at Mergais? The one where you first meet up with the Spartans. Even at 1080p, the performance spikes are all over the place on the built in fps monitor. It says 45-55fps, but feels laggy. All kinds of performance spikes on that performance monitor.

With most settings turned down in 4K I was getting 16-19fps at that landing and further into that area. Did not get better as I am about to complete the zone. Going to revert back to the 399 drivers, see if that is a problem. The spikes are indicating a lot of missed frames or longer time to render. Something isn't right with this game.

Tried 3 different drivers can't stay at 4k when you land at Mergais? The one where you first meet up with the Spartans. Even at 1080p, the performance spikes are all over the place on the built in fps monitor. It says 45-55fps, but feels laggy. All kinds of performance spikes on that performance monitor.

With most settings turned down in 4K I was getting 16-19fps at that landing and further into that area. Did not get better as I am about to complete the zone. Going to revert back to the 399 drivers, see if that is a problem. The spikes are indicating a lot of missed frames or longer time to render. Something isn't right with this game.
And fuck em, for not supporting SLI in an AAA title. I have switched to 3840x1600 and now I'm getting 25-30 fps as opposed to 45-50 with 2560x1440, so it is below playable now.

And fuck em, for not supporting SLI in an AAA title. I have switched to 3840x1600 and now I'm getting 25-30 fps as opposed to 45-50 with 2560x1440, so it is below playable now.

Isn't SLI support trash across the board these days?

I swapped 2x 980's for a 1080ti when they came out, and it was a serious breath of fresh air, even back then, to be done with SLI. I'll never go back.

I know nothing about these games. Is it an action game? Or an RPG?

It's both. Assassins Creed has traditionally been an action oriented, hack and slash / parkour game. With each release, it has gotten more open world and less linear. With the last two releases, Origins and Odyssey, they have taken a heavy turn towards RPG... especially with Odyssey. Most of the RPG staples are here... gender selection, dialogue choices, romances (not Bioware level romances, however), lots of loot, crafting, etc. Bottom line is, Odyssey is straight up open-world RPG, but it's retained the fast combat and parkour movement the series is known for.

It's both. Assassins Creed has traditionally been an action oriented, hack and slash / parkour game. With each release, it has gotten more open world and less linear. With the last two releases, Origins and Odyssey, they have taken a heavy turn towards RPG... especially with Odyssey. Most of the RPG staples are here... gender selection, dialogue choices, romances (not Bioware level romances, however), lots of loot, crafting, etc. Bottom line is, Odyssey is straight up open-world RPG, but it's retained the fast combat and parkour movement the series is known for.
Interesting. Thanks.

It seems like console players have it easier in that they can rent a game for a few dollars to see if they like it. PC gamers have to just take a chance or try to get an idea of the game within Steam's two hour return window.

Interesting. Thanks.

It seems like console players have it easier in that they can rent a game for a few dollars to see if they like it. PC gamers have to just take a chance or try to get an idea of the game within Steam's two hour return window.

If you're thinking about going that route, be aware that Steams 2-hour return window won't even get you through the opening tutorial/prologue. It's enough time to see if the combat and movement are right for you, but definitely not enough time to get into the meat of the game.

That said, as someone who is getting really burned out on open world games, and thus being very selective about them, I'm loving this game. It's a solid PC port and a very well made game in a franchise that desperately needed a breath of fresh air. For anyone who likes this style of gameplay, or big open RPGs, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Buy one of the previous titles in the series (Syndicate or Unity for example), you should be able to find them at heavily discounted prices now. Almost all the titles in the AC series were great games of their own merit.

Buy one of the previous titles in the series (Syndicate or Unity for example), you should be able to find them at heavily discounted prices now. Almost all the titles in the AC series were great games of their own merit.

I've seen Unity and Black Flag go for $3-4 which is a bonkers price for the best titles in the series. Syndicate was a bit MEH on story and the graphics were rather sub par, IMO.

Isn't SLI support trash across the board these days?

I swapped 2x 980's for a 1080ti when they came out, and it was a serious breath of fresh air, even back then, to be done with SLI. I'll never go back.
This is the first AAA game where it doesn't work. That I encountered. So I wouldn't say across the board.

Saving seems bugged as well. The game greyed out the save option, and I coudln't save wherever I went. I don't think autosave worked either and I didn't care to find out after clearing an entire fort. Finally I managed to save by fast traveling to the ship.

Saving seems bugged as well. The game greyed out the save option, and I coudln't save wherever I went. I don't think autosave worked either and I didn't care to find out after clearing an entire fort. Finally I managed to save by fast traveling to the ship.

I believe you cannot save or quick save if you are an area of contention (i.e. bandit camp, enemy fort, etc.).

I believe you cannot save or quick save if you are an area of contention (i.e. bandit camp, enemy fort, etc.).

This is 100% correct. You just need to exit the area so the location title no longer displays at the top of the screen and you'll be able to save again.

Nope, I've said I tried going everywhere, to towns, to neutral areas, even ports, the only way I could get save to be unstuck was by fast travelling to my ship. Clearly a bug.

And this is not even the first time I broke the game. Right after the tutorial, with the blockade ships, I spied them from a mile out, and deliberately went around them, even before the mission triggered. And docked in the port, only no quests would appear, I had to board the ship and go back to sink the boats "because they were blocking my way" Well clearly they weren't. I hate when a game doesn't account for cases where the player might not do the obvious thing.

And this is not even the first time I broke the game. Right after the tutorial, with the blockade ships, I spied them from a mile out, and deliberately went around them, even before the mission triggered. And docked in the port, only no quests would appear, I had to board the ship and go back to sink the boats "because they were blocking my way" Well clearly they weren't. I hate when a game doesn't account for cases where the player might not do the obvious thing.
They were also blocking people from leaving the beach. It plays a role in the next mission about 5 minutes later. :)

Back