Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

Yeah I hate AC3 because it's such a cool setting, great atmosphere and had the potential to be so much more than it was. What a great time period to screw the pooch on. Just think if AC3 was built the way Odyssey was and didn't have a shitty protagonist?

Agreed. While I don't think it was rushed necessarily (it was massive), it felt like they weren't sure what they wanted to focus on. They dipped their toes into a lot of mechanics, but didn't do many all that well. Plus, Connor couldn't have been much more boring. Stoic just doesn't work in a game like this.

I'm hopeful that some of these settings are revisited down the line, but probably not quite yet. There are still plenty of areas and time periods that haven't been touched. I know they're staying away from feudal Japan intentionally, which I agree with. I was thinking that India could be a fun surprise. The Sanskrit epics have a ton of content.

Conner was the one thing that always bothered me about AC3, despite its "real world" storyline being exciting. I still am very curious what would have happened if the original writer was allowed to continue the storyline he wanted to tell. As I recall it, the original writing team had things go off a different way but it was deemed too inflammatory and political. Its important to remember that AC3 itself was scheduled to be released in the year before the December 2012 end of the Mayan Bak'tun which was an awesome mechanic considering the "real world" storyline parallels with the actual apocalyptic (in jest or in some cases, seriously) cultural concern of the time. The story was supposed to go off from there in a way that more directly talked about political and real world things in the modern world as seen through the AC lens, but it was deemed to be too divisive and was split. Some say that the change to AC4's (and Rogue's) "real world" perspective being an Abstergo (aka Templar controlled mega-corp) Gaming Company that looked very similar to one of Ubi's developers, and the storyline of the Abstergo Gaming trying to "clean history" so to speak and replace it with just awesome pirates and things that explode...was a subtle jab at the change of direction.

Back to AC3 however, I really felt Conner was one of the few AC protagonists that I really felt wasn't just unlikable, but foolish to the point I felt they went the wrong direction. *SPOILERS* Specifically, his outright hatred of Templars causing him to do stupid, close minded things with the Assassins and the Creed as only a veneer. Most notably, in relation to his father Haytham Kenway. There were times as the game developed that it almost seemed he could at least patch things up and respect his father, the two of them could join up to take the real "final boss" down etc... but nope, that was shut down in a really crappy way. Perhaps this was the beginning of the AC Rogue style idea that "maybe not everyone on either side is entirely evil or good", but it would have made so much more sense if Conner's crappy character and lack of development wasn't hinged on such a crappy "hurrdurr templar bad" element, when Haytham himself seemed to be trying to understand his son's choices and explain his own perspective, otherwise making an effort. With AC Od style choices, I DEFINITELY would loved to see an alternate ending with Conner and Haytham end up at least both alive and on friendly terms, if not on the same "side".

Rant Over. Regarding the Remasters, I am curious as to the reason and form for doing so at this point. I hope that both AC3 and AC LiberationHD remasters have all DLC included at least, and its nice they're available for Odyssey Season Pass owners. However, I have to wonder why they didn't do the same thing - Remaster including all DLC - AC4 and AC Rogue as well? After all, those 4 games were the "Americas" saga in the same way that AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations were the "Ezio Saga" and to a lesser extent how Unity + Syndicate make the "European Duo". Ah well. Looking forward, I'm hoping to see more high quality content from Ubi when it comes to new or significantly updated titles as opposed to simply slapping on higher textures on old stuff.

500 hours + 5k mercs.
Total assassinations 10,759 :eek:

7GlaIC7.png
jT7fMUu.png

Rant Over. Regarding the Remasters, I am curious as to the reason and form for doing so at this point. I hope that both AC3 and AC LiberationHD remasters have all DLC included at least, and its nice they're available for Odyssey Season Pass owners. However, I have to wonder why they didn't do the same thing - Remaster including all DLC - AC4 and AC Rogue as well? After all, those 4 games were the "Americas" saga in the same way that AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations were the "Ezio Saga" and to a lesser extent how Unity + Syndicate make the "European Duo". Ah well. Looking forward, I'm hoping to see more high quality content from Ubi when it comes to new or significantly updated titles as opposed to simply slapping on higher textures on old stuff.

I bet they're mainly targeted at the consoles. The earlier games were on the previous generation of consoles, so this is their way of making them available for current systems. At least discounting the Xbox's B.C. capability.
It would be cool to have a remastered pack of the portable games and Rogue. From memory, the Vita one wasn't too bad.

I bet they're mainly targeted at the consoles. The earlier games were on the previous generation of consoles, so this is their way of making them available for current systems. At least discounting the Xbox's B.C. capability.
It would be cool to have a remastered pack of the portable games and Rogue. From memory, the Vita one wasn't too bad.

I may have made the mistake of assuming from the picture that the AC3 Remaster also included Liberation, given Aveline (the female protagonist of Liberation) is present, though now that I think on it she has a "bit part" in AC3 itself, so perhaps Liberation isn't included. You're right, it was originally on Vita and in fact it wasn't bad, which was one reason I was very pleased when it came to PC with Assassin's Creed Liberation HD - itself both a PC port and a proper remaster. It fixed some crappy elements of the Vita version and tweaked gameplay/story/controls for the better, added all DLC, and upgraded the whole HD graphics/textures alll while being budget priced! They did a good job with it and for its time it was well made indeed - I can recall Aveline had 3 completely separate outfits that would change gameplay dynamics significantly (ie her Assassin gear which would give full mobility, weapons use etc.. but less stealthy, a "slave" outfit with decent mobility but lesser weapons and the ability to sneak in through servants entrances and blend in certain environments, and finally a "posh Lady" outfit with fancy dresses where she couldn't run and had even more limited weapons, but was stealthy and could be admitted into most places without raising an eyebrow.).

You may be right about consoles, but especially considering it was not that long ago I'm not a big fan of re-releasing older games (especially since the Xbox360+ era) solely with better graphics but no other real changes yet charging, as opposed to simply updating the existing titles. Its one thing if the game never made it to PC or it was a significant change besides just new textures (Yakuza Kiwami for instance is a remake of the original PS2 era Yakuza 1 but with a LOT of changes) , but otherwise I wish they'd spend their time elsewhere.

With Odyssey, I've found that I leveled up much quicker from 25 to 40 than from level 10-25. That's not necessarily with any more main story missions completed. I think the amount of XP ebbs and flows a bit. I felt pretty overwhelmed for a while, but I'd say I'm comfortably headed toward the end portions of the game now that I'm level 45 and I have the spear powerful enough to unlock everything. I still haven't touched the Atlantis quests (or about 1/2 the islands) yet, though.

I've started using fire more and more, but I'm still not seeing even 1/4 of the damage enemies get out of it. It feels like when I'm hit with a fire arrow I might as well kiss 1/2 to 2/3 of my life goodbye. With enemies, it's minimal. That's even with the stat maxed and the Agamemnon set. I find that I still get like 90% of my damage from special attacks only.

As I'm approaching the end-game enemies, I've noticed that I'm taking damage like crazy. That seems to be how the game equalizes some things. I have maxed-out gold armor that's my current level + the perks that increase my armor rating. Yet I've still found that many enemies can 2 shot me. Especially when fire is involved.

As I'm approaching the end-game enemies, I've noticed that I'm taking damage like crazy. That seems to be how the game equalizes some things. I have maxed-out gold armor that's my current level + the perks that increase my armor rating. Yet I've still found that many enemies can 2 shot me. Especially when fire is involved.

Fire damage and random animals are pretty much the scariest and most dangerous things in the game.

Fire damage and random animals are pretty much the scariest and most dangerous things in the game.

Ha - yeah. Wild boars hit like a truck. Whenever a bounty hunter has an animal companion I tend to use Hero Strike on it immediately. That'll instakill all of them except bears. Nothing worse than a lynx jumping on you mid-fight.

Ha - yeah. Wild boars hit like a truck. Whenever a bounty hunter has an animal companion I tend to use Hero Strike on it immediately. That'll instakill all of them except bears. Nothing worse than a lynx jumping on you mid-fight.

Yeah it's sad getting instagibbed by a freaking pig

Yeah it's sad getting instagibbed by a freaking pig

That early quest battle with the large boar was actually pretty tough. I had to go get blinged out a bit before returning to it.

Meanwhile, I was set upon last night by a flock of chickens, seriously. I thought it was pretty funny. This happened on the island inhabited by the pirate Xenia (I forget the name of the island). I was even able to harvest resources from them after defeating the "fowl" beasts. First birds in this game, for me, that offered harvestable resources (unlike Origins, where the cranes and vultures were harvestable).

I'm now plowing through my last few cultists. I think I only have 5 or 6 left. Now that I've hit level 48 I'm basically able to kill anything. Even those rare, but pesky, level 51 enemies. That's as high as I've seen anything go and I've only run into a couple.

Of the armor sets, it seems like the Agamemnon and Achilles sets are the best ones. The Immortal set is okay, but really only keeps you from being victimized by B.S. instakills. The others seem to only provide somewhat minimal perks. Are there any "secret" ones or ones that are better than they appear on paper?

If NG+ adds new rewards or something I will probably replay for a third time.
Also the new level 99 engravings will make 100% crit chance a lot easier which will allow me to mix up my build some.

Wrapped everything up this morning. Not sure if I missed something (I did all of the Cult stuff and quests for "your father"), but there wasn't much of an ending. A few mini cut-scenes disguised as quests and that was it. I missed a few sync points and I skipped a ton of random non-important quests, but I maxed out all of the rare armor sets and my ship. I finished at level 52.
Overall, it's definitely a contender for most epic game of all time. I have a couple tiny gripes, but they're small. The Witcher 3 wasn't exactly perfect either. If anything, Origins might be the only thing keeping this game from being recognized for how good it is. As amazing as it might be, it feels more like a continuation of Origins than something totally new. Just my impression, though.

Lotfb3 spoilers

The completion achieve for the 3rd chapter depicts a ship sailing to Egypt (pyramids) which further confirms the Aya bloodline connection.

Overall, it's definitely a contender for most epic game of all time...

c'mon now...don't be a prisoner of the moment...contender for most epic game of all time????????...I can see best AC game but lets not get too crazy with the hyperboles

c'mon now...don't be a prisoner of the moment...contender for most epic game of all time????????...I can see best AC game but lets not get too crazy with the hyperboles

I honestly mean that. It's gigantic and there aren't really many things wrong with it. The game world offers more things to do (and has more polish) than just about anything short of the Witcher 3. Going back a few generations I'd say Baldur's Gate 2 is probably also a contender. Maybe San Andreas, too. Games that are massive that have huge worlds and tell a huge story. It has more polish than anything Bethesda has ever put out, and those games tend to be the gold standard for something being "Epic."

I honestly mean that. It's gigantic and there aren't really many things wrong with it. The game world offers more things to do (and has more polish) than just about anything short of the Witcher 3. Going back a few generations I'd say Baldur's Gate 2 is probably also a contender. Maybe San Andreas, too. Games that are massive that have huge worlds and tell a huge story. It has more polish than anything Bethesda has ever put out, and those games tend to be the gold standard for something being "Epic."

I think it's definitely the gold standard for open world single player RPG's - better than Skyrim or Witcher 3.

That's coming from someone who loses interest in things pretty fast these days - this game held me through nearly a hundred hours over a month where I never went more than 24 hours without a play session, couldn't keep me away from it.

I would say Skyrim or FO4 is still my favorite open world game, with mods even moreso. But those games are more fleshed out RPGs (sandboxes, too), which acod barely scratches the surface.

I would say Skyrim or FO4 is still my favorite open world game, with mods even moreso. But those games are more fleshed out RPGs (sandboxes, too), which acod barely scratches the surface.

Agreed. ACO is great, but Skyrim and FO4 beat it in atmosphere, funner perk paths, and the worlds seem more enveloping. Then there are the mods.

i will say this as I progress the main story, almost 100 hours in, the whole modern day part of the story, should have been left out. It does nothing and its fucking annoying as hell when you pulled out and are forced to do some stupid shit as whoever the fuck you are. I care not for any aspect of that part of the story and I wish it didn't exist.

I'm not sure the branching aspect 60% or so through it (after you help mom). Not sold on that part either. Like they threw it in there so the DLC can exist.

Still doing all side quests I can before main mission parts. Many things are either completed already or super easy because I unlocked every thing you could and did everything I could before I ever went to athens to move the story along. SUPER easy to just fast travel to something and do it and return. 90% of the time I start a side quest and it is already finished.

going to be interesting playing AC:O after this. I suspect I will be annoyed as it sounds like they fixed a lot of the weirdness of that game in this one.

Game is still one of t he best I've played in a long time. F04 was probably the last game I spent this much time on. So many of these open world things just grab me and force me to keep going and try to complete everything. Too bad FC5 was a completely let down other wise it would be close to this but it isn't. FC3/4 did the same thing as this, 100% the crap out of those games.

i will say this as I progress the main story, almost 100 hours in, the whole modern day part of the story, should have been left out. It does nothing and its fucking annoying as hell when you pulled out and are forced to do some stupid shit as whoever the fuck you are. I care not for any aspect of that part of the story and I wish it didn't exist.

I'm not sure the branching aspect 60% or so through it (after you help mom). Not sold on that part either. Like they threw it in there so the DLC can exist.

Still doing all side quests I can before main mission parts. Many things are either completed already or super easy because I unlocked every thing you could and did everything I could before I ever went to athens to move the story along. SUPER easy to just fast travel to something and do it and return. 90% of the time I start a side quest and it is already finished.

going to be interesting playing AC:O after this. I suspect I will be annoyed as it sounds like they fixed a lot of the weirdness of that game in this one.

Game is still one of t he best I've played in a long time. F04 was probably the last game I spent this much time on. So many of these open world things just grab me and force me to keep going and try to complete everything. Too bad FC5 was a completely let down other wise it would be close to this but it isn't. FC3/4 did the same thing as this, 100% the crap out of those games.

I actually never played Origins myself. Those who did, I'd love to hear the comparisons if it's even worth my playthrough comparatively or if I'll be let down as it sounds.

Beyond the weird damage from certain animals and fire, the pacing is my only other gripe. The actual central story for the game is pretty short. They extend it artificially by forcing you to do lots of fetch quests to get answers out of people. The missions might be fun, but they're unmistakably fetch quests. In many cases, more time is dedicated toward those missions than to the cult, your family, or anything related to Atlantis.
The game dangles a bunch of high level cultists and quests at you pretty early...but by the time you get there, you're borderline invincible. I think the game probably benefit from having the levels scaled down a little bit. Instead of shooting for level 50 for the end game - maybe tone that down to 25 or 30.

As far as Origins goes, I liked it nearly as much. The terrain isn't as varied or as large, but I think the plot was probably better. The naval sections are very minor, too. It's a little bit like Odyssey "lite"

I actually never played Origins myself. Those who did, I'd love to hear the comparisons if it's even worth my playthrough comparatively or if I'll be let down as it sounds.
It's basically the same game minus the magical dagger and ship. It's a lot smaller (maybe half the size as Odyssey) and some of the elements are actually more fleshed out, like the arena, and gear/items work a bit differently.

Last edited:
I finished Origins and I also finished Odyssey, I feel that Odyssey is a better game and I'd be ok replaying it but I don't have any desire to replay Origins.

Yeah, I don't think I could go back to Origins after completing it once. You can basically see and do everything in a single pass and I don't think the plot ever deviates.
One of the main differences in combat is that your weapon matters a lot more. Instead of using a lot of special ability attacks, properties like fire and poison are tied to your weaponry.
I found a sword that puts enemies to sleep like 25% of the time very early on. I stuck with it for the entire game, too.

I'm confused now. I did the whole dad bit and there was a little cut scene after it where everyone seemed all happy go lucky.....Is that the ending of the actual game????

still other stuff to do.

I'm confused now. I did the whole dad bit and there was a little cut scene after it where everyone seemed all happy go lucky.....Is that the ending of the actual game????

still other stuff to do.

Kinda. It's the closest thing to one. There are some additional wrap-up missions at the end of the family and cult storylines, but they're shorter and less profound. There are no cut scenes followed by credits or anything of that sort that I've seen, though.

Kinda. It's the closest thing to one. There are some additional wrap-up missions at the end of the family and cult storylines, but they're shorter and less profound. There are no cut scenes followed by credits or anything of that sort that I've seen, though.

wow what an absolutely let down for such an amazing game.

wow what an absolutely let down for such an amazing game.

Yup, I agree. It isn't horrible or anything, but after a game this massive it needed a better wrap-up. My guess is that because the family, cult, and Atlantis quests are independent of one another that they kinda had to. A true finale after completing all 3 would have been nice, though.

Yup, I agree. It isn't horrible or anything, but after a game this massive it needed a better wrap-up. My guess is that because the family, cult, and Atlantis quests are independent of one another that they kinda had to. A true finale after completing all 3 would have been nice, though.

My only hopes are that the next DLC has the family all die horribly. :D

I got my free copy of the game from that Google Project Stream trial...bad timing though...Metro Exodus, Anthem and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice are going to occupy my gaming time for the next few months

I got my free copy of the game from that Google Project Stream trial...bad timing though...Metro Exodus, Anthem and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice are going to occupy my gaming time for the next few months

Would skip Metro Exodus for a rainy day TBH. It's got many of the components of a good game, but is pretty mediocre TBH. AC Odyssey is a far better game and more worth your time.

i think they could have done that. even if it was some kind of Fall Oout sort of ending that just wraps everything up. I mean, you don't even know what they show you is an 'ending' its like a little completely non essential cut scene almost. its pretty sad and completely forgettable for such an amazing game. Endings seem to be something that most game developers can just never get right IMO. they are almost always weak sauce cause DLC is coming or something.

I'm not even done yet. 100+ hours now, level 66 i think and I'm 83ish percent done with the story line.

I'm not even done yet. 100+ hours now, level 66 i think and I'm 83ish percent done with the story line.

Wow! Do the enemies keep leveling up with you? Once I hit 50 I started seeing random bounty hunters that were 5-10 levels higher than me. The Atlantis bosses were locked at 46-50, though. Does that continue or is there ever a point where you start to out-level everything?

Wow! Do the enemies keep leveling up with you? Once I hit 50 I started seeing random bounty hunters that were 5-10 levels higher than me. The Atlantis bosses were locked at 46-50, though. Does that continue or is there ever a point where you start to out-level everything?

no they don't, they are always 2 levels behind except for mercs which can still be like 4 levels above me sometimes. I had killed all the atlantis bosses, except sphinx at or before level 50. Sphinx I just did the questions so no fight needed and I was at like level 60 by then.

I'm so high because I stopped progressing the story when they first wanted you to go to Athens. I ended up going around the entire map going to every single location I was allowed and doing every side mission I could until there was nothing left to do but go to athens. So I didn't even really progress the story until I was past level 50.

It made everything so easy. I could fast travel anywhere and so many support and side quests I would just complete upon talking to the person to get the quest. i still do all support and side quests before any major story quest as they pop up.

I skip all the little non ! point things on the map. I dont do the blue ! either. so all the little BS things scattered around like the message boards or the little hour glass things I don't touch.

Last edited:
Just completed the 2nd story DLC, which was better than expected (166h in... nowhere near TaintedSquirrel). Now I'm attempting to clear out the tier S1 & S2 mercs before I go level up my engravings.

Back