Assassin's Creed Odyssey free if you test Google's game streaming service (US only)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Google's game streaming project is now open for testing, and anyone that signs up and plays an hour of Assassin's Creed Odyssey on it gets to keep a Uplay copy of the game for free...You can only sign up to the project in the US, and you have to be 18 or older...Project Stream, currently in its "technical test" stage, will stream the game to your laptop or desktop via Chrome, which you'll need to install first, and you'll also need to have a linked Uplay account to get your free copy...

**Also note that signing up for Project Stream doesn't guarantee you'll get to test it—Google will review your application first

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-get...y-for-testing-googles-game-streaming-service/

Last edited:
Wth I would do this no way am I set up for streaming.
You play it on your PC, with mouse and keyboard, just like any other game. As long as you have a sufficiently fast internet connection you need nothing other than Chrome.

It works okay. Fidelity could be better, but that's to be expected when streaming.

Played it for a little over an hour. Not terrible, but the graphical fidelity was pretty bad. Control latency was better than expected, though.

Worth it to get a free copy of the game, if that actually pans out.

Played it for a little over an hour. Not terrible, but the graphical fidelity was pretty bad. Control latency was better than expected, though.

Worth it to get a free copy of the game, if that actually pans out.

I agree that the graphics were not the best but it wasn't terrible either...but you're right that the overall smoothness and playability was excellent...no lag or connectivity issues at all...

Hands-on with Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Google's Project Stream
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...m-first-look-assassins-creed-odyssey-analysis

I agree that the graphics were not the best but it wasn't terrible either...but you're right that the overall smoothness and playability was excellent...no lag or connectivity issues at all...

Hands-on with Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Google's Project Stream
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...m-first-look-assassins-creed-odyssey-analysis

For me it was pretty terrible, it was basically like watching a poorly-compressed YouTube video. Tons of compression artifacts fairly regularly.

Depended on how much was going on, but during the larger battle in the beginning I could barely tell what was going on.

Once the game slowed down a bit it was more playable. But I wouldn't say it's ready for prime time.

FWIW I'm on a 150Mb Comcast connection with full gigabit connectivity all the way around.

make sure to log into your Ubisoft account for it to count towards the redemption of the free game...not your Uplay account...you need to sign into the Ubisoft account associated with Uplay...at first I played for an hour without signing in and when I checked my Ubi profile it showed as 0 hours played (even though my in-game save file showed over an hour of time played)...so I logged into the Ubi account and played another hour and then it showed up as my correct play time...your Ubi profile will show the ProjectStream AC Odyssey profile and all your in-game statistics

make sure to log into your Ubisoft account for it to count towards the redemption of the free game...not your Uplay account...you need to sign into the Ubisoft account associated with Uplay...at first I played for an hour without signing in and when I checked my Ubi profile it showed as 0 hours played (even though my in-game save file showed over an hour of time played)...so I logged into the Ubi account and played another hour and then it showed up as my correct play time...your Ubi profile will show the ProjectStream AC Odyssey profile and all your in-game statistics

How do I know if that's the case? I logged into my Ubisoft account and I don't see anything about play times. I see that Project Stream is linked to the account, though.

EDIT: I figured it out - you need to go to the Ubisoft CLUB to check. Link here should work:

https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/assassins-creed-odyssey/PROJECTSTREAM/stats

Says I have a bit over an hour so I should be good.

Last edited:
I never got anything to test for free. Hopefully, others are lucky and can get the game free.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I never got anything to test for free. Hopefully, others are lucky and can get the game free.
Same here, followed these instructions a few weeks ago and never heard back. Would have liked to try the game.

The lengths these poor folk will go to get people to play their games and/or launchers... :D

Never got anything either. I ended up buying the game for 1/2 off during the Steam sale instead.

They sent out a survey for current Project Stream users - took about 15 minutes or so. Lots of general questions about gaming but also places to put in your personal experience with the streaming.

They sent out a survey for current Project Stream users - took about 15 minutes or so. Lots of general questions about gaming but also places to put in your personal experience with the streaming.

Haven't gotten anything yet.

I had a heck of a time trying to get it running; kept getting blocked by the ping requirement (avg around 50ms instead of the required 40ms). I managed to get about 1h 10m playtime put in tho (according to UbisoftClub), so hopefully I get back with something.

The lengths these poor folk will go to get people to play their games and/or launchers... :D

free is still free...Odyssey is a pretty new AAA game which got excellent reviews so I'm fine with trying out Google stream to get the game for free...

Honestly, it wasn't that much effort to get into the program - I guess it just depends on if you were lucky enough to be selected in this round.

I never had any issues getting the game running, but my big problem was the video quality - everything looked like a really poorly-compressed YouTube video for the most part. I was impressed with the low latency on input, usually that's the big problem with these services.

If they can clean up the video quality and keep the latency low, this has potential.

If they can clean up the video quality and keep the latency low, this has potential.

I wasn't expecting amazing graphics...I don't think it was ever meant to look like a PC playing on Ultra settings...for a game streaming in a web browser that can be played on any device it played pretty well...I wonder how much Google is planning on charging for this platform

Played it for a bit, was pretty good and the graphics were solid. 400mb/s Spectrum connection. Not sure if i will get the free game or not, but it was pretty neat. Monitor is 3440x1440 so had black bars since I could not adjust the resolution. If they offered streaming at my resolution I might use it.

I wasn't expecting amazing graphics...I don't think it was ever meant to look like a PC playing on Ultra settings...for a game streaming in a web browser that can be played on any device it played pretty well...I wonder how much Google is planning on charging for this platform

For me it wasn't the graphical quality as much as the video streaming quality that was the issue. Lots of blocky artifacts and low-res video at times for some reason. My internet should be able to handle it (150 Mbps downstream) so I'm not sure.

so around 2 weeks to receive the free game from Ubisoft...

AC.jpg

So wait, does that mean we should spend any Helix credits?

EDIT: They give you 1000 credits to spend on whatever. You can get an XP booster or whatnot.

Last edited:
So wait, does that mean we should spend any Helix credits?

EDIT: They give you 1000 credits to spend on whatever. You can get an XP booster or whatnot.
Yes. It was said anything bought on your account stays on your account, but Helix credits don't transfer.

Thanks for posting this. I've been waiting for the email, too. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is failing to capture my interest and I'm ready for Odyssey.

Anyone hear anything about this yet? No email here. I'm not holding my breath or anything as I've got MHW and RE2 to play, but I'm keeping a look-out for it.

I have a handful of hours played according to my uPlay club account but did not get an email.

I got nervous for a second there...I checked the Gmail account I used to register and stream the game but nothing...I then checked the e-mail associated with my Uplay account and the e-mail was there...sigh of relief...at least now I know for sure I'll be getting the game for free...I'm fine with waiting a few more weeks as I'll be busy with Metro: Exodus and Anthem

I got the email that I received my free copy today. I just logged into UPLAY and it's there. (y)

Got the email as well. I'm at work and can't login to uPlay, but I assume it's also there for me then lol.

I got a free copy even though I never got any emails. I had fun during the project stream beta so I am looking forward to finishing this. (after God of War)

Looks like I also got my copy, I forgot those emails go into a separate folder that I don't always check.

Got mine as well. Just wish the stats had transferred over so I can see them for my current play through.

Back