Assassin's Creed II

dwk

Gawd
Anybody stoked for this game? I really enjoyed the first one a lot despite its' flaws. I saw a lot of potential in the first one and can only see the series getting better. I can not wait for the second one but then I am a sucker for the lore.

Latest video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTi59LwpgEA

Yeah I am definitely excited about it. Still playing through the first but love the game. More than likely will be a pick-up shortly after it is released (lol... just what I need more games to finish).

the first one was kinda repetitive but fun...I hear the new game fixes a lot of the first game's issues and improves upon the overall gameplay...looking forward to it

I'm definitely getting it. The first one was wonderful until you realize that all of the cities are essentially the same. Still, for about 4-6 hours, it was a 5-star game. If they can simply add some variety, I'll happily buy it at launch.

I thought the first game was good and had the sequel on my radar. This all changed when I played batman AA. I realized I enjoyed the mechanics behind batman so much better and it did bring out the flaws that I had with AC so much more. Now I'm on the fence about purchasing this one and will need to wait and see.

I was against AC for the flaws it had in the beginning, but from what ive seen, they have really worked on this title to make it better than ever. Plus I am getting the collectors edition so I can get the statue, heh.......... yeah I know..... im lame.

Wow, are we actually going to have some big games to look forward to in 2009? It feels like just about everything has been pushed back to 2010.

I can't wait to play this!

The only people who see flaws in the first one are people who never patient and want the story to end too quickly. The first one made sense to me, with the death of every one of your victims, you learn more of an unseen enemy. Awesome story plot, wonderful combat schematics, and seemless graphics. The second one is going to have a lot to live up to, but from what I've seen, that doesn't look to be a problem

Lol the music in the trailer made me feel like I was watching a trailer for GTA:AC Venice City or something. AC was pretty repetative but overall was a decent game. Ill buy it when I find it for 20 bucks.

The only people who see flaws in the first one are people who never patient and want the story to end too quickly. The first one made sense to me, with the death of every one of your victims, you learn more of an unseen enemy. Awesome story plot, wonderful combat schematics, and seemless graphics. The second one is going to have a lot to live up to, but from what I've seen, that doesn't look to be a problem

I wouldn't go that far. The first game was neat, but the problem was how repetitious the quests were. You went to a city, found your contact, who then told you to gain information (the same way every time) who then unlocked the boss battle.
There was nothing wrong with the story, it's just how all of the quests were exactly the same. Even the game creators have said that they wish they put more time and detail into each specific mission.

I love the first game as much as anyone could, but admit it: It's repetitive as hell after a point.

I was a fan of the first one, played it when i had gamefly. If i had bought it I would have been slightly disappointed. Like someone already said, first 4-5 hours are the shit, after that its pretty dull. I only kept playing to just beat it.

How come no one has mentioned the super crappy ending?

How come no one has mentioned the super crappy ending?

I was satisfied with the ending myself.

A lot of people who complain about the ending simply didn't take their time to look at all the hidden writings, talk to everyone, read the computer, and all the rest of it.

I was left wanting more and very eager for the next games in the series.

I'm interested in the story and playing through the first one the first time really made me content. It's not a replayable game but it was awesome the first time through.

It seems like a concensus that the first game was repetetive. It was also fun. If Assassin's Creed 2 improves upon the repetetiveness while keeping the game as fun to play, this would be a solid 9 out of 10 for me. We'll see! I love this time of year, but I always spend way too much on games. :D

I'm looking forward to this as well.
The original was a bit mundane but hella fun, great plot and gfx.
Hopefully they can add some replay value into this one.

How about the repetitive ass quests that you do over and over for no reason? The only people who don't see flaws in the first one are people who don't know good gameplay if it smacks them in the face.

How about the repetitive ass quests that you do over and over for no reason? The only people who don't see flaws in the first one are people who don't know good gameplay if it smacks them in the face.

This guy pretty much proves my point right there. :rolleyes:

If you focus solely on what you did in the game, then yeah, it's repetitive. But then again, the game is called "ASSASSIN'S Creed". For crying out loud, the whole storyline is repetitive if you use that kind of logic. Hell, then all rpg's and first-person shooters are "repetitive" because all you do is kill the bad guy and save somebody's ass in the end. What I try to focus on is not the immediate look and style of the game (both of which you have to admit was somewhat interesting in this game), but also the story that is behind it. AC, the story grew with each death of a prominent person, the more you move on, the more intricate the plot becomes, and with this game, it happens on two levels, finding more about the Assassins and the Apple of Eden, and more about the Templars in the present day.

Last edited:
that modern day crap in the first game was the least interesting part of the game...

If you focus solely on what you did in the game, then yeah, it's repetitive. But then again, the game is called "ASSASSIN'S Creed". For crying out loud, the whole storyline is repetitive if you use that kind of logic. Hell, then all rpg's and first-person shooters are "repetitive" because all you do is kill the bad guy and save somebody's ass in the end. What I try to focus on is not the immediate look and style of the game (both of which you have to admit was somewhat interesting in this game), but also the story that is behind it. AC, the story grew with each death of a prominent person, the more you move on, the more intricate the plot becomes, and with this game, it happens on two levels, finding more about the Assassins and the Apple of Eden, and more about the Templars in the present day.

Given, everyone has different tastes and opinions but to deny that there was a lack of gameplay is absurd. They nailed the mechanics (for the most part) but the game was the same boring quest over and over. Of course some games have repetitive aspects but they also pose a challenge. Assassins Creed was far from challenging especially with the lack of surrounding AI to do any damage to anyone who could mash a few buttons.

This is completely my opinion but the story was not engaging enough for me to have any desire to do the same quests over and over.

You've got to be kidding. You do the EXACT same thing OVER and OVER and OVER. It's not just 'killing the bad guy', its killing the same looking bad guy in the same exact way to and moving on to the next identical objective. I bought and beat this game as well just because I shelled out the cash for it, but I won't deny for a second that it was pretty horrid after about an hour. A lot of potential that just went nowhere.

I think it has been established in this thread that Assassin's Creed 1 was repetetive. Very repetetive. People are also being very repetetive about making it clear that Assassin's Creed 1 was repetetive. Personally, I didn't finish the game because I thought it was too repetetive. I think we all agree that the game was repetetive. Hopefully the sequel is less repetetive!

infect0 is right. The mechanics were done beautifully in Assassin's Creed 1. If Ubi can take those mechanics and build some interesting gameplay around them, there's no doubt in my mind that Assassin's Creed 2 will be a winner.

Last edited:
You're right, god forbid any evaluation of the game should be based on what you did in the game. That's just crazy! :rolleyes:

Fine, just judge the ENTIRE GAME ON JUST WHAT YOU DO. I am sure that the scenery development and music and graphics engine and the mechanics of the game are not important at all and that one should NEVER appreciate those things in a game. EVER.:eek:

Fine, just judge the ENTIRE GAME ON JUST WHAT YOU DO. I am sure that the scenery development and music and graphics engine and the mechanics of the game are not important at all and that one should NEVER appreciate those things in a game. EVER.:eek:

I'm really not trying to pile on, but I don't think you're getting what everyone else is saying. I agree with you, at least to a certain extent. The game was beautiful. I really enjoyed the gameplay mechanics. The team just didn't do enough with those mechanics in my opinion.

Each mission was more or less the same:
  • go to next city (which looks more or less exactly like last city)
  • eavesdrop (which is neat, but pretty much the same task every time and has no real difficulty to speak of)
  • pickpocket (again, the same every time and pretty easy to do, but I usually found these moderately fun)
  • follow and beat someone up (more interesting, but still pretty redundant and not terribly difficult)
  • either collect flags or assassinate targets (these I thought were a lot of fun and required actual skill to accomplish, as well as made good use of the gameplay mechanics that were so enjoyable)

I'm sure I left some things out, but as much as I liked the game (and I did...I liked the story, both past and present, and I liked the world the developers had created) it had some serious redundancy problems that will hopefully be addressed in the next game.

I'm looking to see what they do with AC2 because of what Dijonase said basically. They have a great platform to make a great game, they just came up short with AC1 with it's repetitiveness. If they solve that issue and make combat a bit more fluid then it should be very fun. If not I'll pass it over.

I dunno. I don't notice repetitiveness. I am usually so enthralled in a story it doesn't matter. And I am so stoked that #2 is coming out. Right after my b-day. Happy b-day to me!

I will likely pass on the sequel since the first installment almost made me quit video games...
Luckily, I am having fun again with games like Batman, Infamous & Killzone 2.

Back