Assassin's Creed 4... Get it on Wii U or PS3?

zamardii

2[H]4U
So I want Assassin's Creed 4 but am stuck on what platform I should get it on. I watch this comparison video of the PS3 and Wii U version running side-by-side in HD and can not even tell the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X4pL4lQdbyo

I would love to hear feedback form anyone who has the Wii U version and/or the PS3 version and chime in on the gameplay experience on either. I know most of you probably have the PS3 version, but i'd love to hear some Wii U impressions too. Overall, it really doesn't make a big difference to me which platform I buy it for. The graphics in that comparison video look almost exactly the same to my eyes, I am just wondering if maybe there is a Wii U advantage either in the control or something that might persuade me to get it instead (other than being able to play the entire game on the gamepad). I only have 1 Wii U game currently anyway since I just got the system a week ago so it'd be nice to expand the library.

The Amazon product page (as far as buyer reviews) has the Wii U version at a full 5 stars (13 reviews) and the PS3 version at a solid 4 stars (92 reviews).

Thanks for any input!

I watched some comparisons on youtube, and I thought the Wii U looks better than PS3. I'd get the Wii U version if I had to choose between only those two, otherwise buy a PS4 or PC with 3D Vision.

Get the PS3 version if you ever plan on getting a PS4. The game looks gorgeous on a PS4.

Get the PS3 version if you ever plan on getting a PS4. The game looks gorgeous on a PS4.

I don't understand this... PS4 isn't backwards compatible, right?

I don't have the game on either system, but if I was going to get it, I would go WiiU.

Wii U. PS3 games will not run on PS4 at this time and it is not clear if they ever will

I don't understand this... PS4 isn't backwards compatible, right?

I don't have the game on either system, but if I was going to get it, I would go WiiU.

You can pay $10 to upgrade to the PS4 version I'm pretty sure if you own the PS3 version.

However the Wii-U version will run in 1080p and the tablet is very handy for searching the map in the game. You will be using the map A LOT so if you own a Wii-U its a no brainer.

Good question. Confirmation on this would be appreciated all around.

http://us.playstation.com/digitalupgrade/

"For a limited time..."

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57611795-285/upgrade-select-ps3-games-for-use-on-the-ps4/

This is a promotional offer that is only available for a limited time. Codes must be redeemed and PlayStation 4 versions of the game must be purchased by early 2014 to qualify. The promotion expires on January 31 for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, March 28 for Battlefield 4, and March 31 for Call of Duty: Ghost. Sony did not provide an expiration date for Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition."

So yeah, I won't be getting a PS4 for a while. Might as well go with the Wii U version.

http://us.playstation.com/digitalupgrade/

"For a limited time..."

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57611795-285/upgrade-select-ps3-games-for-use-on-the-ps4/

This is a promotional offer that is only available for a limited time. Codes must be redeemed and PlayStation 4 versions of the game must be purchased by early 2014 to qualify. The promotion expires on January 31 for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, March 28 for Battlefield 4, and March 31 for Call of Duty: Ghost. Sony did not provide an expiration date for Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition."

So yeah, I won't be getting a PS4 for a while. Might as well go with the Wii U version.

Sounds like you got the right answer for you.

For what it's worth, I have the Wii U version of that game and while I enjoy the benefits the Wii U controller brings, I just think the game series needs a break all around.

I am in basically the same position as you are, have a WiiU, PS3, and want AC4. Only difference is I may pick up a PS4 before the new year. Don't know if you have already made your purchase but Digital Foundry did a comparison of AC4 across all platforms. The WiiU version comes in behind the PS3\X360 versions and will not be receiving any DLC (if that matters to you).

eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

edit: I can't spell.

That would be impressive... but it's 720p just like PS3/X360, and doesn't quite match them in performance.

The funny part is that the Wii U version looks better in most of the screenshots then the Xbox One version in that comparison. Really is a shame Nintendo skimped so much on RAM with the Wii U because you can tell the lack of texture resolution is what kills it.

is the wii u version playable on the gamepad only?

Yes, it is. Just like Windwaker HD it helps to play it on the TV though so you can have your Gamepad always displaying the map though.

Are you playing multiplayer online? If so get for the system with the most friends.

Back