Assassins Creed 3: American Revolution

If you don't like the way it's going, why bother throwing in your two cents? I mean if you really hate the series or Ubisoft, why even come here? I have to read through 50+ posts about "I hate it" to get to one that says something interesting. And thanks for the GI post OP.

Just watched the latest "preorder-trailer" (ship combat focus) and realized they're pimping "Lost Mayan Ruin" as a pre-order mission. Putting preorder crap aside, could this be... FORESHADOWING?!

(In an earlier post I was wishing they'd visit the Incas, but any of the large ancient american civilizations would do)

If you don't like the way it's going, why bother throwing in your two cents? I mean if you really hate the series or Ubisoft, why even come here? I have to read through 50+ posts about "I hate it" to get to one that says something interesting. And thanks for the GI post OP.

this is a common practice around here. lame i knows.. you should see the diablo 3 thread ;P

Nope, saw it once at someones house on a console and wasnt intrested at all.
Looked like console garbage to me.

Then you are missing out. AC games may be "console garbage" but so are Batman - Arkham games and only a moron would say they are bad games. (not counting in an opinion if one likes them or not, but bad games they are not) Infact Assassins Creed 2 is amongst the best games of this gaming generation IMHO.

Old post but whatever.

love the AC series...played AC2 and Brotherhood over the past 2 weeks and now starting up Revelations

as much as I loved Ezio I'm glad they are moving on to a new lead character and time period

I really wish they would discontinue their pre-order practice of offering exclusive single player missions to certain retailers...they've done that for every game since AC2...the extra content is usually pretty long and important to the story so leaving it out sucks

The boat stuff looks dumb as hell.......it looks like it is the typical "carriage chase" on the water and not real ship to ship battles.

AC2 was by far the best, down hill from there.

the argument over whether blockbuster games like Assassin's Creed should be released on an annual basis is "strange", the series' creative director has said...Ubisoft Montreal's Alex Hutchinson has said the argument should not be about the frequency of the release schedule, but merely about the quality.

"I find it strange we've decided yearly is too often," Hutchinson said during a panel at GDC Europe today. "If Radiohead put out an album every month, I'd buy it. It's about the quality."...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lease-argument-all-about-quality-ubisoft-says

That argument only works to a limit, because of course if you oversaturate the market it will react negatively even though perhaps if judged in isolation, the product is still good.

It's worth nothing that the reason people are worried about "annualization" is because we love the games and don't want them to go the way of say Guitar Hero/Rock Band, which I think you could argue were quality games... all the way down till the bitter end.

the argument over whether blockbuster games like Assassin's Creed should be released on an annual basis is "strange", the series' creative director has said...Ubisoft Montreal's Alex Hutchinson has said the argument should not be about the frequency of the release schedule, but merely about the quality.

"I find it strange we've decided yearly is too often," Hutchinson said during a panel at GDC Europe today. "If Radiohead put out an album every month, I'd buy it. It's about the quality."...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lease-argument-all-about-quality-ubisoft-says

He is full of shit. Radiohead is not capable of releasing a high quality album EVERY MONTH (just using his exact example here, I'm not bashing the band), this could apply to every band.

Even though their fans would buy their albums, their fans would probably reach the point of feeling like they were being used for money and the albums weren't worth it, then they would probably lose interest in buying their "newest albums" and find some other musical interest.

I think what the guy is missing is the larger point. If AC games end up as bad as Revelations was or Brotherhood, then people will lose interest in the upcoming games, no matter how good they are purported to be.

For the record, I bought AC2, and Brotherhood. Brotherhood was maybe a C+ in my book, the story was weak, but it ALMOST made up for it with good puzzles and some great gameplay additions and tweaks.

That's simply not acceptable in the long run.

You can't pull a Call of Duty with this franchise and expect to profit long term. This game has always been about the action and the story, and the story has been dull after AC2.

For the record, i'm looking forward to giving AC3 a chance in spite of everything I said above, but I will wait to hear about the story before buying it.

Anyone who has been keeping up with the story should have expected a game in 2012. It would be odd to skip this year.

That said AssRev was a bit too much. I loved Brotherhood, thought it was the best yet. AssRev was a step back, IMO. Yet it was nice to say goodbye to Altair and Ezio, that's about all it does for the overall story.

If AC games end up as bad as Revelations was or Brotherhood, then people will lose interest in the upcoming games, no matter how good they are purported to be.

For the record, I bought AC2, and Brotherhood. Brotherhood was maybe a C+ in my book, the story was weak, but it ALMOST made up for it with good puzzles and some great gameplay additions and tweaks.

I thought Brotherhood was as good as AC2 maybe a slight notch below but nothing major...the main story was pretty short and not as good as AC2 but the side missions were tons of fun...plus it gave us the introduction of the Assassin recruits which is one of the best features of the game...the ability to exit the Animus at your pace was also cool...if you didn't care about Desmond's backstory you could never leave the Animus and continue playing as Ezio...the AC games are all about exploration and not about rushing through the main memory sequences...some of the new features definitely weren't that great (Tower defense etc) but they had a lot more hits then misses...the freedom is what I love about AC

the Ubisoft's guys' point that it should be about the quality and not the quantity is valid if they only release high quality games...once the quality starts going downhill people will automatically start blaming the yearly schedule...games that take years to come out also can suck just as much as yearly ones...the CoD games are divided up between 2 different publishers so even that's not really valid

Last edited:
Same. I'm kind of glad it got delayed until November for the PC release. Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, and possibly Darksiders 2 will be taking up my rest of September and possibly all of October.

Day one buy for me! And those are VERY few and far between for me.. maybe one title a year that I buy full price on launch day.

Looks pretty cool to me. I love, love, love the play of BF1942, but hate, hate, hate the new ones. Too much going on and too many long distance kills. This looks like lots of opportunities for up close and personal hatchets to the head. Yeah baby!

I feel like I should trudge through Revelations, so I'll probably be holding off AC3 for the "GOTY" version with the DLC etc. later down the line.

I feel like I should trudge through Revelations, so I'll probably be holding off AC3 for the "GOTY" version with the DLC etc. later down the line.

I still have to play Brotherhood AND Revelations :p Just installed Brotherhood today.

The game isn't bad at the moment. I will say the startup is a slow process. A few bugs have been encountered but nothing that was show stopping. Usually just a chuckle of "What the?"

Isn't it? Why isn't it?

Ubisoft games on GMG are usually only available for European customers. Ubisoft doesn't allow GMG to sell to NA for some reason.

That is why if NA people view that link to it, it has no "buy" option.

Ubisoft games on GMG are usually only available for European customers. Ubisoft doesn't allow GMG to sell to NA for some reason.

Darnit, you're right, I didn't realize it. That sucks :/

I'll still pay full price for this, assuming impressions and reviews here aren't really bad or something.

The reviews for the game ar epretty good.

Basically it has one of the best open gaming worlds and details of any game. Naval part is very highly rated too as being one of the most impressive parts of the game.

the main "negatives" that I have read so far have been about a "slow" start (to me it sounds good, because they set the tone of the story and build up Connor's character through unexpected ways) and some buggy/glitching.

The game has roughly 20hours for it's main storyline, a ton of side things to do from hunting, naval, collectibles, the homestead building/trading, and other things.

Overall it seems to be the "best" AC game in the series as far as "gameplay" goes but the character of Connor to some reviewers isn't as good as say, Ezio.

I'm getting it for PC and can't wait. Really really wish Ubisoft would release it earlier, I really am trying hard not to have it spoiled but watching some gameplay has did it a bit already (IE the starting of the game, it's best if you do not know how the game starts).

The reviews for the game ar epretty good.

Basically it has one of the best open gaming worlds and details of any game. Naval part is very highly rated too as being one of the most impressive parts of the game.

the main "negatives" that I have read so far have been about a "slow" start (to me it sounds good, because they set the tone of the story and build up Connor's character through unexpected ways) and some buggy/glitching.

The game has roughly 20hours for it's main storyline, a ton of side things to do from hunting, naval, collectibles, the homestead building/trading, and other things.

Overall it seems to be the "best" AC game in the series as far as "gameplay" goes but the character of Connor to some reviewers isn't as good as say, Ezio.

I'm getting it for PC and can't wait. Really really wish Ubisoft would release it earlier, I really am trying hard not to have it spoiled but watching some gameplay has did it a bit already (IE the starting of the game, it's best if you do not know how the game starts).

Pretty much sums up my experience on the xbox.

Ezio's story did feel a bit more compelling. Connor, has been... slower. Hard to go into too much details but when Connor finally earned the right to be part of the brotherhood, I was like that's it?

It kind of goes along the way of the other games though... where in each installment the brotherhood is more and more shattered and diminishing.

I did not know that... I've only used GMG once though, for xcom.

That might explain why I didn't know.

Pretty much sums up my experience on the xbox.

Ezio's story did feel a bit more compelling. Connor, has been... slower. Hard to go into too much details but when Connor finally earned the right to be part of the brotherhood, I was like that's it?

It kind of goes along the way of the other games though... where in each installment the brotherhood is more and more shattered and diminishing.

This is what I thought as well. The intro for Ezio gave me chills the way it was executed and the way that it played out. With Connor, I was just, unmoved. And the initiation into the Brotherhood... not even a wiggle down there.

I dont know if its just me but Connor ages weirdly to me.

Overall I love it so far. I read somewhere that Boston is laid out as it was back in those times, that they found some old maps and built the world off that. Thats just awesome.

It starts slow as hell, but I like it, it's like watching the movie when the tension is builded. Setting change works - though I miss tall European buildings, and colonial ones are too small.

Thing I hate so far - collecting pages for side quest - you have to chase them and jump them to get them. Irritating as hell

Back