Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's a damn shame that, even though the company supposedly locked the game at 900p @ 30fps, this is happening on all platforms. :(

Assassin’s Creed Unity is officially out today in the US and as people start to receive their copies, reports of atrocious performance across PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC versions, are starting to come in.

Maybe they should have delayed it another month in order to get this under control. They still would have made the holiday rush...barely.

Were they trying to compete with the Master Chief Collection? At least console games can be patched now a days so, even though they got ripped off, consumers aren't totally out of luck.

Un-optimized new engine for the win! No wonder the PC system requirements were through the roof.

Who cares. The only reason Unity is exists is so I can buy the Assassin's Creed Xbox One bundle and sell its key for profit.

Who cares. The only reason Unity is exists is so I can buy the Assassin's Creed Xbox One bundle and sell its key for profit.
Keep the Black Flag key though because that game is crazy fun!

This is happening more and more. The big publishers have taken rush jobs to the next level and now ALL versions of new games ship broken.
I guess at least console players feel the pain of the PC community.

What I want to know is are the developers just that stupid or just that arrogant? Do they not realize how lousy their game performs, do they not think we'll notice, or do they just not care?

What I want to know is are the developers just that stupid or just that arrogant? Do they not realize how lousy their game performs, do they not think we'll notice, or do they just not care?

And yet, people still bought late-gen 360/PS3 titles that dipped into the single digit fps territory, and averaged in the low 20's.

And yet, people still bought late-gen 360/PS3 titles that dipped into the single digit fps territory, and averaged in the low 20's.

And if they still make the same amount of money releasing broken games, what incentive is there to release working games?

Also the devs are probably testing on quad 980s so they didn't even notice.

And if they still make the same amount of money releasing broken games, what incentive is there to release working games?

Exactly! They know that everyone is going to buy it broken, so why bother to fix it? Just blame the consumer, AMD / Nvidia, etc Sony / Microsoft and all will be forgotten by next year. Hell I looked last night and they had a developer post in the Steam forums stating that the game doesn't work on certain AMD CPU + AMD GPU combinations.

What did they design the game to run on? A smartphone?

Doubt that is the developers, it's management pushing it out the door. The newest catch-phrase in the tech industry is "MVP" - minimally viable product. Is it at MVP, will some people actually buy it? Ship it!

Most big companies are highly dysfunctional.

It never seems to mix well with any form of engineering discipline.

All this talk about DX12, Mantle, Maxwell, Steam Machines... I just kind of laugh at it all. These things are nice but at side-stepping the big issue.

Most big companies are highly dysfunctional.

It never seems to mix well with any form of engineering discipline.

All this talk about DX12, Mantle, Maxwell, Steam Machines... I just kind of laugh at it all. These things are nice but at side-stepping the big issue.

I think a lot of the problem also has to do with us as consumers. When was the last time your typical consumer complemented many high end game without performance issues?

My guess is probably around Half Life 2. I mean, let's be honest. Most people aren't gamers. They buy for Office or email, or some other reason. And up until the mid 2000s, computers were skyrocketing in speed and apps like Office were still affected that your average user could see. But the problem is, you can only upgrade Office or your Web Browser so much before the computer tech is good enough that you'll never have to upgrade that again.

With the release of the latest consoles, games have increased in their requirements. But a lot of consumers aren't keeping up, because they didn't have too. PC games, especially ports, are tied to the console first and foremost, and the Xbox 360/PS3 were kind of low end, especially for the past few years, that pretty old computer hardware could run the latest and greatest at max detail flawlessly. But consoles moved on, and so does the software that goes with PCs.

The fact that people still buy anything put out by Ubisoft should give you the answer. Sure the consumer complains, but they get right back in line for the next PoS game release. Why should publishers care about quality, when the average gamer doesn't?

what? another AAA launch day fiasco?

I'm shocked...SHOCKED!

The fact that people still buy anything put out by Ubisoft should give you the answer. Sure the consumer complains, but they get right back in line for the next PoS game release. Why should publishers care about quality, when the average gamer doesn't?

Exactly, the consumer is to blame here, why would a game company put full effort into a game make it bug free, well optimized etc. when they can half-ass it and still make the same amout of money because idiots buy the game anyway.

The devs know exactly the state the game is in and simply don't have time to do anything more with it. I'm sure most of them would love to actually finish it and polish everything up, but, as others have said, they don't control that. They have upper management and marketing and a whole host of other people to answer to that already have a deadline set and it gets pushed out the door whether the devs like it or not. As a publicly traded company, they have even more shit to deal with than most game studios. It kind of comes down to a business vs art thing IMO. What TwistedAegis said above is 100% correct, in that, the business aspect of it all is fine with 'good enough' and shoving it out the door.

Any game series where they release a new version every year is doomed to suck. It's just not feasible to keep making these games so quickly with the level of complexity people expect.

Un-optimized new engine for the win! No wonder the PC system requirements were through the roof.

lol, requires a supercomputer just to hold 30fps.
Pretty pathetic, but this whole current generation of consoles is pathetic, to say the least.

The time period of this game puts me to sleep long before I even get to any performance issues. Dunno what it is

The devs know exactly the state the game is in and simply don't have time to do anything more with it. I'm sure most of them would love to actually finish it and polish everything up, but, as others have said, they don't control that. They have upper management and marketing and a whole host of other people to answer to that already have a deadline set and it gets pushed out the door whether the devs like it or not. As a publicly traded company, they have even more shit to deal with than most game studios. It kind of comes down to a business vs art thing IMO. What TwistedAegis said above is 100% correct, in that, the business aspect of it all is fine with 'good enough' and shoving it out the door.

Yea, yes and no. The development studios know exactly what they are getting into. They have the ability to negotiate timeframes and headcount. They choose not to focus on that or chronically run into problems during development that throws them off. Optimization is always factored into the process in some factor.

A review I read described this title as the "Madden-ing" of the franchise. Nuff said.

A review I read described this title as the "Madden-ing" of the franchise. Nuff said.

It's been "Madden-ed" for a while now, it's just more egregous than before. I wasn't going to buy this one at launch, but my wife got it for me anyway. It's really fucking terrible. I don't understand how anyone can justify this as a "minimally viable product".

I saw some stream of it, the frame rate is just sad.

Maybe someday people will wise up and stop pre-ordering games

Yeah honestly this makes me feel like they were actually honest about the minimum requirements, since they were so much fucking higher than what the consoles were capable of. I guess they weren't lying! I guess you really need that much hardware to run it halfway decently and the consoles flat out can't!

So yeah, sucks to have an unoptimized port, but at least it's not being intentionally kneecapped.

So the framerate is capped at 30fps on all platforms too?

That's what I wanna know. Everyone here is spewing crap like the game isn't optimized but what does that have to do with a frame rate cap on PC?

I saw some Unity game play yesterday. The voice work is amazing. The story and graphics are really good. The load times though are horrible.

I'd love to see pretty much every program get a 30 FPS cap because the computer wouldn't have to work as hard or get as hot to render all that extra stuff your eyeballs really don't notice anyway.

I said it before, UbiSoft is doing exactly the same shit EA does. Both companies interested in pleasing shareholders, not actually put out a complete/polished product.

No, the frame rate is uncapped. There might be an adaptive V-Sync though which drops people down to 30 fps, but if you have the machine, you can get this game running 60+ fps almost constantly, especially if you lower the visuals.

Back