ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac

Maybe it's been discussed before, but convince me why I would need that HDMI In. I don't know what I would use it for.

Consider you have limited HDMI inputs on your screen and you use this motherboard without a dedicated GPU. Then you could have an "extra" HDMI port that is used when the computer is turned off or when you activate the option with the Windows app.

So let's say you have an Xbox One, Playstation 4 and now you got a HTPC with this motherboard. But wait, your TV only has 2 HDMI inputs ! OH NO ! No problem, hook up the HTPC to one of those ports and one of the consoles to the HDMI input on the HTPC, now it can passthrough the signal.

But I don't know how much latency it adds so it might not even be good to use for a console. Basically, it's completely useless for about 99,7% of the people, because the chance you have don't have an HDMI to spare and don't want a HDMI switch or AV receiver as a better option, is rather slim. Also, it needs to be OFF or use a recent Windows install to use.

just to close out my open ended quandary, I picked up the old Z87-ITX version today - they're in short supply (got 1 of 2 left on the shelf) - sometimes newer isn't always better I'm hoping

where did you get yours from? how much did you pay, if i may ask?

I have this board, but the 5GHz wifi card isn't that great. I get much better reception from my surface pro2. Am thinking of changing the antenna to see if this makes a difference, or maybe changing the card itself.

On another note, my computer has recently started to turn itself on a random times. Usually 2-3 day intervals. I've switched off any settings in the bios that may cause it. Anyone have any ideas or has this happened to anyone with this board?

The things that can start a PC are a power button, a magic packet (LAN) and a keyboard press (cat).
If you are certain the last two aren't possible, you could remove the power button cable from the board and try with another one to rule out the cable or button being the cause.

The WiFi card I'd recommend replacing all-together as more than a few people have had issues with the Broadcom one. I suggest the Intel 7260-AC as a good alternative, it should pop right in. Before replacing the antenna, try that. A few users of the Z87E-ITX users (same WiFi card + antenna) have replaced the antenna and noticed better signal.

Thanks Phuncz! I'll check out the wireless card and probably buy a couple of those directional antennas as well. Hope that makes an additional difference.

Probably going to sit down one weekend and sort out the power thing. It wasn't switching on before and I didn't change any settings. Unless the power cable has started going out, but I have the M1, so I don't have another button spare. Ah well, it's probably not to big a deal at the moment. Thanks again.

I was about to buy this board, and now I don't think it will work in my application. I am trying to build a six drive NAS inside a Fractal Design NODE 304 case. It will be running FlexRAID. I was hoping to use all six drive bays for the storage drives, and use the M2 slot for the OS drive. However, after reading what's explained in the first post, this will not seem possible. Can anyone clear up if what I have planned will work, or maybe recommend another board with more than 6 SATA connections.

Thanks.

According to the manual, the last two SATA ports are shared with the M.2.
But isn't it possible to use a Ubuntu version installed onto a USB stick ? That way you don't need an SSD.

But the issue with the H97 and Z97 chipset is that it only supports 6 SATA-600 ports, others must come from a 3rd party chipset which no manufacturer does because it is already cramped. If you really need more than 6 ports on an mITX motherboard, you might best look at the ASRock C2750D4I board, one of the few mITX boards that has more than 6 SATA ports.

According to the manual, the last two SATA ports are shared with the M.2.
But isn't it possible to use a Ubuntu version installed onto a USB stick ? That way you don't need an SSD.

But the issue with the H97 and Z97 chipset is that it only supports 6 SATA-600 ports, others must come from a 3rd party chipset which no manufacturer does because it is already cramped. If you really need more than 6 ports on an mITX motherboard, you might best look at the ASRock C2750D4I board, one of the few mITX boards that has more than 6 SATA ports.

I'll be running Win8, If the ports are shared, does that mean that they use the same bus or that if you use the M2 then you lose those two ports? I also just noticed that one of the onboard ports is a SATA express. Can you connect a regular SATA drive to that? Sorry, haven't built a system in a couple of years.

The Asrock C2750D4I that you linked to is interesting, but I want a more powerful processor to can handle transcoding and video compression.

My other option is the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI and then buying an HBA when the need arises.

The "shared" means it isn't able to use both at the same time. The manual explains this, it's a free download.

If you don't mind getting an HBA, it doesn't matter which board you get, since even the simple but popular IBM M1015 supports 8 disks. If you don't overclock, the H97 chipset will offer the same for less.

I bought my intel 7260AC card and installed it today, but have some weird issues. It works great with 2.4GHz and have better connection than before, but connecting to 5GHz causes Bluetooth to stop working and I can't connect to the internet. Tried the newest drivers and the default and new Bluetooth ones. Gonna uninstall and reseat and try other measures tomorrow after a bit of rest. If anyone has any great ideas, I'd be grateful! ;)

On another note, I had my surface pro2 running next to me and the latest update screwed that network card, so I had to use system restore to sort that out and disable automatic updates. It's really true what they say about buses.

I bought my intel 7260AC card and installed it today, but have some weird issues. It works great with 2.4GHz and have better connection than before, but connecting to 5GHz causes Bluetooth to stop working and I can't connect to the internet. Tried the newest drivers and the default and new Bluetooth ones. Gonna uninstall and reseat and try other measures tomorrow after a bit of rest. If anyone has any great ideas, I'd be grateful! ;)

I just installed my 7260 AC last week and was having weird Bluetooth dropouts (and occasional wi-fi dropouts).

Some of the Intel techs suggested disabling U-APSD (a power saving feature), and that actually seems to have worked. Here are the step-by-step instructions that someone wrote up..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537916/intel-7260-wifi-adapter-with-bluetooth/#entry3396363

EDIT: Also, make sure you've uninstalled any software/drivers that were installed by a previous Bluetooth/Wi-Fi adapter.

WHat about other mSATA drives, like
Samsung MZ-MTE250BW mSATA 250GB 840 EVO?

Samsung says its 50x29mm - would that fit?

mSATA is not the same as M.2, mSATA is compatible on the Z87E, but the Z97E has M.2.

I just installed my 7260 AC last week and was having weird Bluetooth dropouts (and occasional wi-fi dropouts).

Some of the Intel techs suggested disabling U-APSD (a power saving feature), and that actually seems to have worked. Here are the step-by-step instructions that someone wrote up..

EDIT: Also, make sure you've uninstalled any software/drivers that were installed by a previous Bluetooth/Wi-Fi adapter.

Thanks for the advice. I think something is wrong with my 7260. I've uninstalled everything, reseated and the WiFi doesn't start, showing an error code 43. The event viewer says it has a fatal error: The miniport has failed a power transition to operational power. It will start if I disable and then re-enable, but that defeats the purpose. Even worse, the 5GHz connection is unbearably slow even with 4 of 5 bar connectivity.

On another note, the device manager shows a SM Bus controller that doesn't have any drivers installed. Checked the internet and it seems I'm not alone. Reinstalled latest management engine and INF files and flashed to latest bios, to no avail. No problems with the computer though, haha.

Hoping I'll have a happier update later.

Indeed, the Z87E only supports mSATA, the Z97E only supports M.2.

tYBSjUM.jpg

mSATA vs M.2 type 2242

I have the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac.
I got the MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) Super Boot Eco Drive 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD Solid State Drive - MDM242-SBe-128 . It was 60.00 when I ordered it.

Performance is fine for what I need. .Of course, this is a SATA III SSD, and not a PCI-E SSD

I believe it's the Intel 530 SSD M.2 prototype, but all the 530 M.2 versions are 80mm long (type 2280).
I do see they have an enterprise Intel SSD Pro 1500 that is type 2242, but it's 120GB and SATA (link). So it won't be faster than a "regular" 2.5" SSD but it will not need cables or take up space. But I can't find it in stock anywhere.

Other options? Read my post from page three of this thread.
This option works fine, as long as a sata SSD M.2 is OK with you. It does cut down on cables compared to a regular SSD. It has worked perfectly for me. It's pretty darn fast

MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) Super Boot Eco Drive 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD Solid State Drive - MDM242-SBe-128 . It was 60.00 when I ordered it.

While trying overclocking options, system stuck into an unstable overclock. It can't load Windows 8.1, locks on OS repair options. Also, my USB keyboard is unresponsive (dont have a PS2 one), so I can't enter BIOS to fix the problem. (By the way, a specified number (default 3) of boot failures option in BIOS is not working)

Is there a way (jumper configuration etc) to boot into BIOS directly? All I can find is to clear the CMOS by shorting the jumpers.

While trying overclocking options, system stuck into an unstable overclock. It can't load Windows 8.1, locks on OS repair options. Also, my USB keyboard is unresponsive (dont have a PS2 one), so I can't enter BIOS to fix the problem. (By the way, a specified number (default 3) of boot failures option in BIOS is not working)

Is there a way (jumper configuration etc) to boot into BIOS directly? All I can find is to clear the CMOS by shorting the jumpers.

Does the clear CMOS button on the back of the board not work?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537916/intel-7260-wifi-adapter-with-bluetooth/#entry3396363

Is the built in wi-fi that shitty? I know this uses something like a 2TR2 or something wireless card which is also I think the technology the gigabyte board uses although that is an Intel card. Surprised to see this was a boardcom chip, but I thought Intel uses a lot of boardcom chips in their networking products?

I might be wrong. I am pushing around 30-35 on wireless N, but that maybe more my router than anything. I pay for 40 mb so it isn't too bad.

Has anyone noticed the fan speed control issue. For instance this was posted in a Newegg review as well but I have a fan with specs of like 2200 RPM, its decent sleeve bearing Cooler Master fan that comes with the Elite 130. I have it set for like 25 percent however there isn't even a chance it ever hits that. Even under the threshold the best it will declock the fan to is around 50 percent.

I don't know if this is a issue with the BIOS/board or just an overall safety thing since I imagine some fans might not spin at 25 percent.

Is the built in wi-fi that shitty? I know this uses something like a 2TR2 or something wireless card which is also I think the technology the gigabyte board uses although that is an Intel card. Surprised to see this was a boardcom chip, but I thought Intel uses a lot of boardcom chips in their networking products?

I might be wrong. I am pushing around 30-35 on wireless N, but that maybe more my router than anything. I pay for 40 mb so it isn't too bad.

I replaced the Broadcom AC in my ASUS board with the Intel 7260 AC. I'm not aware of Intel using Broadcom in their chips, but to put it simply.. both AC chips are flaky as hell.

Throughput is great, it's just that both have issues where they will just randomly stop working for no reason. Using the Broadcom, connectivity was solid for mine, though 9 times out of 10 it would just not work at all when the system woke from sleep (regardless of settings, and required physically pulling the power plug to reset it).. Bluetooth worked 100% of the time with no issues. Using the Intel, there are generally no sleep issues, but out of nowhere, either the wifi or the bluetooth will just stop working for a little while (not always at the same time, and are almost always fixed by using Windows troubleshooting - or disabling/enabling the device). Haven't seen an update for the Broadcom driver for well over a year, and Intel is fully aware of the issues, and is constantly releasing new drivers trying to fix the problems (without much success).

Pick your poison, or maybe try an N-only card if you have any issues with the included card.

Lol, didn't notice there was a button at the back. Used jumpers to clear it. Thanks anyway.

I replaced the Broadcom AC in my ASUS board with the Intel 7260 AC. I'm not aware of Intel using Broadcom in their chips, but to put it simply.. both AC chips are flaky as hell.

Throughput is great, it's just that both have issues where they will just randomly stop working for no reason. Using the Broadcom, connectivity was solid for mine, though 9 times out of 10 it would just not work at all when the system woke from sleep (regardless of settings, and required physically pulling the power plug to reset it).. Bluetooth worked 100% of the time with no issues. Using the Intel, there are generally no sleep issues, but out of nowhere, either the wifi or the bluetooth will just stop working for a little while (not always at the same time, and are almost always fixed by using Windows troubleshooting - or disabling/enabling the device). Haven't seen an update for the Broadcom driver for well over a year, and Intel is fully aware of the issues, and is constantly releasing new drivers trying to fix the problems (without much success).

Pick your poison, or maybe try an N-only card if you have any issues with the included card.

I haven't had that issue, but I am using Windows 8.1 and it has its sleep issues with even going to sleep. I haven't had issues from sleep except for every so often that the bluetooth connection will tell me I need admin rights to connect that device or some shit.

I doubt I will switch out the card. With the price of HomePlug adapters I will probably just buy a pair of those.

Lol, didn't notice there was a button at the back. Used jumpers to clear it. Thanks anyway.

Anytime man. If it helps when I got this board I couldn't even boot it into windows for like 5 attempts. Some genius at ASRock thought setting a 1 second time out on the boot menu to get into the bios was a good idea.

So besides the ASRock site does anyone know how to get the Broadcom drivers for the Bluetooth/Wifi. Trying to see if there is anything more current than the early 2014 drivers that come with the board? Thanks.

When I was looking for an updated driver for the Z87E-ITX, I was looking for the "Broadcom BCM4352" driver on google and found Dell and Lenovo also use these. I was able to extract the latest 5100-release drivers from those. Maybe try the same ? I'm not sure it's the same chipset but I believe it is.

Does anyone know what is the minimum fan speed is for a pwm CPU fan on this board? Is it 60% like on the Asus board?

Also, anyone has bootable M.2 SSD on this board? I was thinking of getting an AData 256 GB 2242 SSD, but not sure if the board supports it, and if it does, can it boot it?

Does anyone know what is the minimum fan speed is for a pwm CPU fan on this board? Is it 60% like on the Asus board?

Also, anyone has bootable M.2 SSD on this board? I was thinking of getting an AData 256 GB 2242 SSD, but not sure if the board supports it, and if it does, can it boot it?
I have a M.2 SSD for my Asus Impact that I was going to test on this board just for fun.

Btw can anyone share there overclock settings with me? I'd like a starting point for my G3258.

I have a M.2 SSD for my Asus Impact that I was going to test on this board just for fun.

Please do, and share results. There is very little information out there for M.2 SSDs, bootability, and this board. But since I discovered a 2242 256 GB one, I am tempted. Waste of money if the board doesn't see it, or doesn't boot from it, though.

Please do, and share results. There is very little information out there for M.2 SSDs, bootability, and this board. But since I discovered a 2242 256 GB one, I am tempted. Waste of money if the board doesn't see it, or doesn't boot from it, though.
I'll be doing a reformat and teardown of my Asus Impact build so I can test if it's bootable on my Asrock.

Btw, I have the Crucial M500 M.2

Back