ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac

Phuncz

2[H]4U
This motherboard will be upon us soon and I'd like to start this topic, since I was a large fan of the Z87E-ITX and have planned to buy this Z97 version.

So let's start with the basic specs !

Specifications

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97E-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

• ASRock Super Alloy
    • Premium 60A CPU Choke
    • Premium Memory Alloy Choke (Reduces 70% core loss compared to iron powder choke)
    • Dual-Stack MOSFET (DSM)
    • NexFET™ MOSFET
    • 12K Platinum Caps (100% Japan made high quality conductive polymer capacitors)
    • Sapphire Black PCB
  • Intel® Z97 - Supports 5th Generation, New 4th and 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors (Socket 1150)
  • Digi Power - 6 Power Phase design
  • Supports Dual Channel DDR3 3200+(OC), 15μ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots
  • 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 mini-PCIe for WiFi + BT Module, 15μ Gold Contact in VGA PCIe Slot (PCIE1)
  • VGA Output/Input Options: DVI-I, HDMI, HDMI-In, DisplayPort
  • 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports DTS Connect
  • TI® NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier
  • Intel® Gigabit LAN - Intel® I218V
  • 1 SATA Express, 6 SATA3, 1 M.2 (Gen2 x2/SATA), 6 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 6 USB 2.0 (4 Front, 2 Rear)
  • WLAN: 1 x 2T2R Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + BT v4.0 Module (Broadcom), 1 x ASRock WiFi 2.4/5 GHz Antenna
  • Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, ASRock Cloud, APP Shop, A-Tuning, Full HD UEFI

Z97E-ITXac(m).jpg

Z97E-ITXac(m).jpg

What's new ?
  • ASRock "Super Alloy", which seems to mean long-life power components
  • M.2 socket for PCIe 2.0 x2 (or SATA-600) bandwidth for SSD's for up to 10Gb/s (SATA = 6Gb/s)
  • SATA Express (shared with SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and M.2 Socket)
  • HDMI-in to passthrough to the HDMI-out (no capturing what I can tell)
  • Nichicon Fine Gold Audio Caps (lower noise level)

Drivers and Firmware

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97E-ITXac/?cat=Download

• Firmware 1.00 (5/6/2014)
    1. First released.
  • Firmware 1.10 (5/8/2014)
    1. Improve memory compatibility.
    2. Modify install SATA Express HDD,the HDD info display in M.2.
    3. Improve SATA Express compatibility.
  • Firmware 1.30 (6/3/2014)
    1. Update VBIOS.
    2. Add i7-4790K, i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ- OC table.
    3. Update CPU code.

NGFF and the M.2 socket
A member contacted me about the M.2 socket and it's compatibility.
This is indeed confusing stuff and I'll try to make it clearer.
You can also check ASRock's own Support List for compatibility: link, but at the time of writing, it only had one pathetic 32GB SSD.
Everything relevant to this motherboard has been colored orange to be easily found.

M.2: Connectors

BA8bzJs.png

(source)

M.2 SSD's has "keys", the gaps between the pins, to differentiate compatibility. The cards themselves have the gaps, the sockets have protrusions to fit in those gaps. This physically prevents a card from fitting if it is not electrically supported. The motherboards have the sockets.

Socket 2 ► PCIe x2 + SATA 6Gb/s + USB etc. supported
Socket 3 ► PCIe x4 + SATA 6Gb/s supported

B-key ► PCIe x2 + SATA 6Gb/s + USB etc. supported
M-key ► PCIe x4 + SATA 6Gb/s supported

Socket 2 ► fits B-key and B+M-key M.2
Socket 3 ► fits M-key and B+M-key M.2

The ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac has Socket 3 according to the manual, although it only supports PCIe x2 + SATA 6Gb/s, which would be Socket 2, if logic would have been used. But it's most likely Socket 2 is only used for non-storage slots like WWAN or WLAN cards, as apparently, PCIe x2 can be used on Socket 3 without issue, like a PCIe x4 card fits and works in a PCIe x8 or x16 slot. I assume that no manufacturer uses Socket 2 for M.2 SSD support because of the USB and Audio support associated with this.

More confusion comes when the SSD's has both keys:

QEweJlB.jpg

(source) Intel 530 series 180GB M.2 SSD (uses SATA 6Gb/s)

You'd think since it can connect at PCIe x2 and x4, it will be PCIe x4 and downwards compatible with PCIe x2, but it's not in this case. It uses SATA 6Gb/s in this example.

9uYRuJO.png

(source) Plextor M6e 512GB SSD (uses PCIe x2)

This has the same notches as the Intel but uses PCIe x2, meaning it's not limited by the 570MB/s practical bus speed of SATA 6Gb/s. This specific SSD can achieve over 700MB/s transfer speed. Mind you, you won't feel this in everyday usage, but PCIe also allows for lower latency than SATA, although not on this specific SSD. The B+M keys limit the connection to PCIe x2, which means a maximum throughput of 10Gb/s.

I expect that in the near future most SSD's will have B+M keys, just to maximize compatibility with motherboards. But you should make sure you know how it communicates:
M-keyed ► PCIe x4 (20Gb/s)
B-keyed ► PCIe x2 (10Gb/s) or SATA (6Gb/s)
B+M-keyed ► PCIe x2 (10Gb/s) or SATA (6Gb/s)

Note: the PCIe max throughput can double with the use of PCIe 3.0, see M.2: PCIe Version below for more info.

Don't forget that a higher theoretical limit doesn't guarantee better performance.

The Samsung XP941, which is PCIe x4 and is M-keyed, could fit in the socket on this motherboard but it won't fit on the board physically because it's Type 2280 (see below).

The Plextor M6e, Intel 530 series and Crucial M500/M550 are all B+M, although the Intel and Crucial SSD's both use SATA instead of PCIe x2.

M.2: Size

There is another factor that determines compatibility and it is the size of the M.2 cards. To quote Wikipedia:
The M.2 standard allows module widths of 12, 16, 22 and 30 mm, and lengths of 16, 26, 30, 38, 42, 60, 80 and 110 mm. Initial line-up of the commercially available M.2 expansion cards is 22 mm wide, with varying lengths of 30, 42, 60, 80 and 110 mm.
These are identified like this: "Type xxyy", where xx is the width of the card and yy is the length of the card. There is also a thickness factor that determines the thickness of the components on either side, but we'll probably won't see anything else then "both sides 1.5mm" commercially. So 2242 means an M.2 card 22mm wide and 42mm long. According to a review website, the 256GB Plextor M6e is type 2260 (or possibly also 2280), but the 512GB is type 2280. For the moment, we should expect Type 2280 to become the most popular format. I think all M.2 SSD's for the foreseable future are going to be 22mm wide. Many ATX and mATX boards place these M.2 connectors between two PCIe slots, meaning wider will be massively incompatible and narrower makes no sense when it's already tight for a handful of NAND packages.

The ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac supports Type 2230 and 2242, meaning 22mm wide and 30mm or 42mm long.

M.2: PCIe Version

There are two versions of PCIe currently supported by Haswell and the Z87/Z97 chipset, namely PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0. With the Haswell chip, there is a PCIe 3.0 x16 bus meant for the GPU which connects straight to the CPU. The Z97 chipset allows an additional PCIe 2.0 x8 bus for peripherals, like LAN, audio, WiFi, ... And in the example of the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac it has PCIe 2.0 x2 lanes for the M.2 socket.

PCIe 2.0 has 5Gbit per lane, which is about 500MB/sec per lane max theoretical.
PCIe 3.0 has 10Gbit per lane, which is about 1000MB/sec per lane max theoretical.

Since it has version 2.0 for the Z97E-ITX/ac and uses 2 lanes, it's 500MB x 2, totalling 1000MB/sec max theoretical. Mind the overhead, this will be less but at the moment I don't know how much.
On some motherboards like the ASUS ROG Impact VII, the PCIe 3.0 x16 is split into PCIe 3.0 x8 for the GPU and PCIe 3.0 x4 for the SSD. This means it could theoretically support up to 4GB/sec but there is no SSD at time of writing that even hits 2GB/sec on a M.2 stick.

M.2: Other issues

And if you thought you figured it out, be wary for another potential problem: booting from an M.2 SSD isn't as clear-cut as with SATA nowadays. The Samsung XP941 appears to be one of those that has issues booting. These mainly revolve around the BIOS supporting booting from PCIe and using drivers where needed during installation.

Last edited:
I definitely like this new motherboard, although a few things could have been improved:

- the other Z97 ASRock motherboards are flying M.2 with PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth, at 32Gb/s, where the Z97E-ITX/ac has only 10Gb/s bandwidth
- Broadcom WiFi/BT card has given some users headaches
- still only 2 fan headers
- all black design was much nicer in my opinion

What I'm happy about though:

- Intel NIC
- Realtek ALC-1150 with TI NE5532 headphone amp
- M.2 socket
- focus on quality components
- socket placement is the same, battery moved away

Seems like a nice upgrade. Just saw that it's available for pre-order in the US for $139 with a release date of this coming Thursday.

Def better than the current ASUS offering. They appear to be skipping the Z97 ITX version of the Pro/Deluxe and Impact right now, and only have the cheaper Plus version available (which drops to 4 SATA ports +M2, fewer fan headers, and oddly has the antenna terminals located internally rather than on the I/O).

Seems like a nice upgrade. Just saw that it's available for pre-order in the US for $139 with a release date of this coming Thursday.

Def better than the current ASUS offering. They appear to be skipping the Z97 ITX version of the Pro/Deluxe and Impact right now, and only have the cheaper Plus version available (which drops to 4 SATA ports +M2, fewer fan headers, and oddly has the antenna terminals located internally rather than on the I/O).

for what it is the Plus isnt bad, 4 Sata Ports + a M.2 vs 6 sata ports with the last 2 being tied to M.2, Sata Express or 2 sata ports. Definately do like this particular ASrock Board but they could have used an extra lane or two thats offered from the chipset to make the M.2 non shared with the Sata Express/sata 4 and 5.

Price is Right though I will most likely wait for reviews and start a personal battle between this and the Asus.
Also Note that the Asus Board has 1 cpu fan header and 2 chassis fan headers. This board only has 1 of each.

Last edited:
Why still only 6 USB ports...get rid of the ps/2 and give me 2 more USB!

Price is fantastic and lower than expected. Curious on how gigabytes mini itx gaming 5 board shapes up.

Why do manufacturers still put usb 2.0 on mobos? Just go to all 3.0 and be done with it since its backwards compatible anyway. Just a small gripe on my part. :D

I added information to the Topic Start at the bottom about NGFF / M.2 because of it's confusing nature.

Many gaming/mechanical keyboards specifically use PS/2. If it is useful, I'll leave up to the people that buy them, but ASRock won't shut out potential customers with a "enthusiast" type motherboard by losing this port I guess.

Why do manufacturers still put usb 2.0 on mobos? Just go to all 3.0 and be done with it since its backwards compatible anyway. Just a small gripe on my part. :D
The Z97 chipset only allows 6 USB 3.0 ports without the use of chipsets that use PCIe lanes for USB 3.0 and this board has 6 ports (4 on the I/O, 2 from a header). I have yet to see even an ATX motherboard that has all 3.0 ports, so how would they cram it on an mITX board ? This isn't ASRock's choice, this is Intel's limitation.

I personally have yet to connect a device that uses more than the USB 2.0 bandwidth, my keyboard, mouse, camera and gamepad don't benefit from USB 3.0 and storage is on my Gbit NAS.

If you really need to connect 4 external storage devices over USB 3.0, a high speed card reader, some other type of device that needs more than 400Mb/s throughput and still need more ports, you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:
No thrilled with them adding a DVI port either. Should just be display / mini-displayport and HDMI.

No thrilled with them adding a DVI port either. Should just be display / mini-displayport and HDMI.

Although DVI is considered legacy, and DVI-to-HDMI adapters are available, there are still millions of people with older monitors. I think it's just a financial calculation to include a DVI port rather than have the possibility of losing a potential customer who thinks they need such a connection.

I just love the thought of the M.2.
Soon when the production has exploded (very soon I believe) there will hopefully be no use of the "external" 2,5" SSD. With the nice result of 2 cables less (yey).

Asrock seems to be the player that really understands us ITX builders. So many of the producers simply skipped the M.2 on there ITX mobos.

Strange I sent you a message last night but my pm's shows no log of it.

As Per page 33 of ASRock's Manual.

The M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 can accommodate either a M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module or a M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen 2 x2 (10 Gb/s). Please be noted that the M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 is shared with the SATA Express connector; you can only choose either the M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 or the SATA Express connector to use.
*The M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 supports SSD drives. Please note that the WiFi or other
non-SSD M.2 modules are not supported.
&
This motherboard supports M.2_SSD (NGFF) module type 2230 and 2242 only.

Strange I sent you a message last night but my pm's shows no log of it.
Yeah this happens when you don't tick a certain box when you send a PM: it leaves "no trace" :) But I got it and it was something I haven't included in my Start Post. I was under the assumption the 80mm long cards would be supported...

Thank you for the info Icer Jo ! I've been swamped at work so I'm a little off on my concentration and precision, it's helpful that you found these holes in my documentation :)

Yeah this happens when you don't tick a certain box when you send a PM: it leaves "no trace" :) But I got it and it was something I haven't included in my Start Post. I was under the assumption the 80mm long cards would be supported...

Thank you for the info Icer Jo ! I've been swamped at work so I'm a little off on my concentration and precision, it's helpful that you found these holes in my documentation :)

I will ensure that I remember that next time I send a message xD and No problem!

Honestly, if they added back the CIR header, I'd have bought this immediately, but personally I see no reason to upgrade from my Z87E-ITX at the moment.

This board looks nice though. I'm glad to see M.2 support, but I'll be sitting that out until it's a little more commonplace and all of the compatibility problems are sorted out a little more. The HDMI in seems sort of just thrown in there though. I wonder if that's just something they're doing since the Xbox has it.

Are there even any m.2 drives with capacities greater than 128gb available in the 2242 size? If not, seems like you'd be pretty limited in what you could do with the slot in this board.

Edit: I need to read better. The Plextor M6E 256gb is mentioned in the original post.

Last edited:
A member contacted me about the M.2 socket and it's compatibility.
This is indeed confusing stuff and I'll try to make it clearer.

Wow, you're not kidding! M.2/NGFF is a convoluted mess, to put it politely. Not sure how well this is going to catch on with end-users (outside of it being pre-installed in laptops and tablets).

You actually did a really good job of explaining everything, though.. thanks!

Yes it is a mess. I have to triple-check everything because I'm not the only person on the internet confused by this. If my noob math is correct, there are over 2.000 possible variations of an M.2 card:

8 possible X-sizes
4 possible Y-sizes
8 possible Z-sizes
9 possible key-combinations (with the current 4 different keys)

The true "type" for let's say the Plextor M6e 256GB would be 2242-D5-B-M if I'm correct. The Samsung XP941 256GB would be 2280-D5-M. That is if I'm correctly assuming the thickness here, because I can't find these specs yet.

Various types of M.2 devices are denoted with WWLL-HH-K-K or WWLL-HH-K codes, where WW and LL specify the module width and length, respectively, in millimeters. Part HH specifies, in an encoded form, whether a module is single- or double-sided, and the maximum allowed thickness of mounted components; possible values are listed in the right table above. Module keying is specified by the K-K part, in an encoded form by using key IDs from the left table above; it can also be specified as K only, if a module has only one key.
(source: Wiki)

Not only that, but the sockets on the host can also differ, not just Socket 2 and Socket 3, but also single- or doublesided and the length. At the moment we have the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac board supporting 30mm and 42mm length, the Asus Z97I-PLUS supports 60mm and 80mm. The ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer motherboard (ATX though) supports 5 different lengths, but it takes up a lot of PCB realestate.

While I still believe this to be a good solution, many manufacturers are not sure what will be the future and are thus implementing it in various ways. Daughterboards, PCIe adapter cards, front-mounted, rear-mounted, ... I hope this insanely broad-specced standard won't ruin it's future by being everything at the same time.

Samsung XP941 physical dimensions (for all 3 sizes) are 22x80x4mm and are all M.2 2280. I will message you a link t the PDF I found.

I hope this insanely broad-specced standard won't ruin it's future by being everything at the same time.

Me too, but wow.. this isn't as much of a standard as it is a gosh-damn free-for-all :D

While I was getting all involved trying to mentally process the various lengths/widths and key/speeds, I completely forgot about the thickness of single or double sided drives coming into play!

I really hope the mobo manufacturers plan on doing some serious QVL testing with these drives (more so than they do w/RAM) to save their customers certain grief in trying to pick one out (fitment and speed, of course.. but also to sort out things like the 941 boot issues).

I suspect those boot issues are for Z87 chipsets with M.2 sockets, since Intel has added the M.2 support into their 90-series chipsets.

Icer Jo, thx for the PDF ! Although I'm still not 100% sure on the PCB thickness. I suspect this is 1mm. It would make sense, since the XP941 is a double-sided SSD which has a maximum thickness of 1.5mm (components) per side, adding up to 4mm thickness.

I also found this: http://uk.farnell.com/images/en_UK/pdf/TE_M.2datasheet.pdf
It includes some measurements for the sockets that show the PCB is 1mm thick.

I suspect those boot issues are for Z87 chipsets with M.2 sockets, since Intel has added the M.2 support into their 90-series chipsets.

Icer Jo, thx for the PDF ! Although I'm still not 100% sure on the PCB thickness. I suspect this is 1mm. It would make sense, since the XP941 is a double-sided SSD which has a maximum thickness of 1.5mm (components) per side, adding up to 4mm thickness.

I also found this: http://uk.farnell.com/images/en_UK/pdf/TE_M.2datasheet.pdf
It includes some measurements for the sockets that show the PCB is 1mm thick.

Just looked at the PDF that you Provided @_@ I see what you mean, It all depends on what M2. Socket connector that the manufacturer uses. and the PCB itself may be 1mm and then with both sides I believe it is then 4mm for the samsung, but I believe Motherboard maufacturers (ASRock and ASUS respectively) might need to be contacted for further clarifications as to which drives work and dont work & which ones fit and dont fit.

I expect the future (hopefully) won't be as broad as the standard allows. I expect:
- most SSD's will be double-sided, because that way they can have up to 4 chips on Type 2242 and up to 8 chips on Type 2280
- most SSD's will be Type 2242 and 2280, because it allows them the above configuration and it seems to have the most support
- most SSD's will be B+M keyed
- to only see 22mm wide M.2 cards for commercial use
- mostly Socket 3 ports on motherboards, designed for double-sided and supporting Type 2242 and 2280 mainly

The most difficult part will be finding out what connection it uses (PCIe 2x, PCIe 4x or SATA) and getting the correct length supported by your motherboard. For us potential ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac buyers, the Plextor M6e 256GB seems the best possible choice at this moment, because the Samsung XP941 is too long and the others use SATA.

I'm also curious how SSD manufacturers will deal with the M-key issue: all current M.2 support on the Z97 boards seem to be Socket 3, which would indicate PCIe 4x, but except ASRock's higher end boards, most only have a PCIe 2x connection available. So here you have your Samsung XP941 SSD, capable of over 1GB/s, which fits perfectly in your brand new Z97 motherboard and then you find out you are limited to PCIe 2x speed.

I was just reading a review of the Samsung XP941 on Anandtech and something else struck me besides the mess of the connector:

It looks like TRIM isn't functional, although I'm not that surprised. I'm waiting to hear back from Samsung about whether this is a limitation in the operating system because I've heard that Windows doesn't treat PCIe drives the same even if the utilize the same AHCI software stack like the XP941 does.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here/4

If that ends up being true, that's a huge strike against M.2 (in PCIe form) for now.

The HDMI passthrough is cool. Capture capability would have been even cooler though....

I expect the future (hopefully) won't be as broad as the standard allows.

How about broader, and outside the standard? Just found this..

Asrock has developed its own Ultra M.2 slot that supports up to 4GB/s of bandwidth.

The Ultra M.2 slot relies on PCI Express 3.0 x4 interconnection and thus boasts up to whopping ~4GB/s, two times higher compared to PCIe x4 and four times higher compared to PCIe x2 connection. The Ultra M.2 uses the same connector as the typical slot and thus is compatible with the same solid-state drives

But there is a problem.. once an SSD in plugged into the Ultra M.2 slot, the bandwidth between central processing unit and graphics processing unit is cut-down by half

So, if I'm reading the article correctly.. this is a proprietary implementation of PCIe x4, only faster - but GPU performance suffers? An interesting option, I suppose.

It appears that Asrock is officially calling this "Ultra M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4" (LINK) :D

Hmm did not know about the GPU bandwidth sharing thing, but makes sense since there is only a PCIe 3.0 16x link which is meant for the GPU. So it's not that bad that it's not included on this board :D

Anyone here recommend what antennas to order to go along with my Intel 7260ac HMWWB? Or will the stock ones suffice?

Some people were complaining about the antenna's efficiency from the Z87E-ITX, which seems to be identical to the one on this motherboard.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040844701&postcount=13
So the Plextor M6e is atleast type 2260, unless they change that again.

I edited the start post. Basically, there is no 256GB PCIe 2x SSD at the moment larger than 128GB that is type 2242 or atleast that I've found. Any tips on this might be helpful. For me this is a huge issue, since I personally need atleast 200GB (stupidly large games these days).

Strange since mSATA is available up to 1TB...

And I don't see a Type 2260 fitting without some hack or modding:

CNoKjPg.png

Most coolers use a quite substantial backplate which will also be in the way, even if you cleared the standard backplate somehow.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, now that I have one of these in my hands... The Z97E ITX A/C only support 2242 and 2230!

Here is the quote I received from ASRock asking they update the specs on their website so others do not make the same mistake. After already ordering the 256Gb Samsung XP941.

"Please read from your manual cd file or check the link below about M2 support and page 89 about M2
ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/Z97E-ITXac.pdf"

Seeing as how there are no(right now) PCIe 2242, that pretty much makes the port useless to me. And the case I have does not support add-on cards so now I am stuck with the Samsung XP941, unless I can cancel the shipment before it leaves AU.

You may be seeing a NIB Samsung XP941 on ebay in a week :)

UEFI v1.30 (6/3/2014)
1. Update VBIOS.
2. Add i7-4790K, i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ- OC table.
3. Update CPU code.

Download here: link

ASRock has also seen the light and have included a Support list for the M.2 slot: link
Hopefully this will be expanded soon because one cache-type SSD is not going to spark much interest.

Pseudo off topic but figured I've got the right audience - trying to decide between this new one, Z97, and the previous Z87 version ? I'm not sure the practical value of the new M2 socket since there's no drives that fit now over the MSATA one at this point or in having the SATA Express port and passthru HDMI which I'll never use vs the esata on the back panel that went away to make room for it ?

What I'm stumped over is the Z87 gen 4 CPU support vs the gen 4 and 5 CPU support touted on the Z97 being the deal breaker, will whatever gen 5 cpu's are still be supported on Z87 or is it a dead end ?

The build quality/components look marginally better on the Z97 by the descriptions but my real question is will the M2 and gen 5 CPU support be more future proof than a usable today msata and also the now removed esata that I probably would have a use for. Go new with the Z97 version ?

any help/opinions ? in a conundrum - and for now they're both the same price

Last edited:
What I'm stumped over is the Z87 gen 4 CPU support vs the gen 4 and 5 CPU support touted on the Z97 being the deal breaker, will whatever gen 5 cpu's are still be supported on Z87 or is it a dead end (or even Z68 for that matter?) ?

Z87 supports Haswell (4th-gen), and Haswell refresh (new 4th-gen) with BIOS update from most manufacturers, and Haswell unlocked K SKUs (Devil's Canyon) with BIOS update from some, but not all manufacturers. Z87 probably won't support Broadwell (5th-gen) at all, where-as Z97 is supposed to support all of these.

Personally, I'd rather have mSATA support than a half-assed implementation of M.2, and Z97 > Z87.. don't think there is such a thing, though. For something a little more future-proof, maybe look for a Z97 board that supports a wider variety of M.2 drives?

Thanks ! now I don't feel dumb pondering this...

I'm not sure how valuable this implementation of M2 is at this point, and seriously not sure I'll ever use it, or even the msata for that matter on the Z87 but I've got a better chance since there are drives that fit, what I do know is that the now omitted esata hanging off the back panel has a much better chance of me using it than the HDMI passthru (never)

Guess I'm stuck on whether or not Broadwell support is the future proof feature and will matter for this MB purchase or will there be a Z97 successor that I'd probably move to for that anyway when the time comes

thanks for chiming in..

I'm pretty sure they'll be releasing new chipsets along with the Broadwells when they are released. The mSATA slot on the Z87 is great. I have a 1TB mSATA drive in mine. Can't do that yet with the M2 slot on the Z97 and who knows when they'll have affordable 1TB M2 drives available.

This is why I'm probably going for the Asus Impact VII, it has "unlimited" M.2 support (PCIe 4x and no size restriction), along with most of the advantages this board has. To me the very limited M.2 support on this board makes me worried I will not find a real upgrade for my Samsung 830 256GB SSD even in a few years. Most boards are accepting Type 2280 which will probably be the more popular size for the foreseeable future.

just to close out my open ended quandary, I picked up the old Z87-ITX version today - they're in short supply (got 1 of 2 left on the shelf) - sometimes newer isn't always better I'm hoping

Yeah I love my z87 as well. I'll gladly let the M.2 spec shake out over the next couple years before I need to worry about a new board.

Back