Asrock Z87E-ITX

I wonder what setting I have wrong in the UEFI then. Maybe its an Android problem? Anyway - thanks for your replay and if anyone might have a resolution I would appreciate it.

Figured out my own problem. Just needed to disable MTP for the USB connection on the phone and the AppCharger worked a mint.

How's everyone's ac WiFi performance? I'm getting pretty mediocre results of ~100mbps and 2/5 bars. I was previously using an Asus 2x2 802.11ac USB adapter and was getting around 250mbps with that. I am about 60ft from my router (Asus ac68) with 1 wall in between

I'm hoping its just a config issue or maybe its 5ghz antenna is faulty.

can anybody tell me what his/her CPUTIN temperature (shown in red in the picture below) is with HWMonitor? mine stays constant at 57C all the time, no matther what i'm doing with the computer.

WVivCcS.png

How's everyone's ac WiFi performance? I'm getting pretty mediocre results of ~100mbps and 2/5 bars. I was previously using an Asus 2x2 802.11ac USB adapter and was getting around 250mbps with that. I am about 60ft from my router (Asus ac68) with 1 wall in between

I'm hoping its just a config issue or maybe its 5ghz antenna is faulty.

Not sure if it's a W8 problem, but I have trouble keeping a connection with mine despite having 4 bars most of the time. It's simple reconnecting again, but it's annoying having "limited connection" on boot or other random times. Mine is about 50 ft from the router upstairs.

thanks guys. much appreciated :)

another question: could you use Broadcom's own Bluetooth driver or did you download/use the one on ASRock's website?

I haven't tried it with Broadcom"s own driver, as the Asrock's version works well. But it certainly seems to need an installer as I can't get it to work with just a driver.

im thinking of switching to the intel 7260 wifi card as im not satisfied with the current wifi performance... its wasting my asus N68AC router. can anyone confirm that the intel card will work and have better performance?

Hey guys, I have the H87M-ITX, a gimpy but similar version of this Z78 motherboard in terms of layout in my NCase M1.

What coolers are compatible?

i have a Zalman LQ-310 liquid cooler; it fits fine and works great. my temps (i5-4670k at stock clocks) never exceed 54C when playing BF4.

I just received this board for a new office build, and I wanted to know if anyone else can tell me their temperatures for MSATA drives (for those that use them). I installed a Crucial M500 for my OS and it sits in the mid 50s (deg C). While this is in spec for the drive, I am uncomfortable with seeing it idle that high if something can be done about it. Its in a SG06 case, so there is not really any room for attaching a thin heatsink or anything.

uWaZnai.jpg

SSD is a mSATA Crucial M500 in a Wesena ITX7 case. Cooler is a Prolimatech Samuel 17 with a Scythe "SLIP STREAM SLIM" 120 x 12mm Fan. The ram clearance is low, I had to remove the heatsinks for it to fit. I don't use the wireless.

I just received this board for a new office build, and I wanted to know if anyone else can tell me their temperatures for MSATA drives (for those that use them). I installed a Crucial M500 for my OS and it sits in the mid 50s (deg C). While this is in spec for the drive, I am uncomfortable with seeing it idle that high if something can be done about it. Its in a SG06 case, so there is not really any room for attaching a thin heatsink or anything.

sounds normal to me.. my m500 hits mid 50's

im thinking of switching to the intel 7260 wifi card as im not satisfied with the current wifi performance... its wasting my asus N68AC router. can anyone confirm that the intel card will work and have better performance?

First of all there's multiple versions of the Intel 7260, but I assume you mean the AC version. It definitely works, as that's the one I'm using, but I admittedly mostly use a wired connection. Drivers were a huge problem at first, but they've gotten a lot better recently.

I haven't tried it with Broadcom"s own driver, as the Asrock's version works well. But it certainly seems to need an installer as I can't get it to work with just a driver.
Argh only a few days later the Bluetooth install acts up. Now the device "can't start up properly" according to Windows. After uninstalling it, I can't reinstall it as it can't find a suitable controller. Argh...

EDIT: a shutdown/startup added a bunch of BT devices so now it did work to install the Broadcom drivers.

Last edited:
My Z87 running the stock mPCI WiFi stays reliably connected to my 802.11ac (5Ghz) network at around 350Mbps, and I regularly move 1 gigabyte files at about 30 megs per second. It shows a full 5 bars a floor below and 20 or so feet south of my wireless router. I found the quality/placement of the antennas DRAMATICALLY affected speed and reliability of the connection. The antenna it came with is garbage. But the drivers (Win 8.1) and hardware are sound.

You are not the first to state that the supplied antenna is bad. I guess this is something I'd might look at but I only use the Bluetooth for keyboard controlling my PC from farther away.

Argh only a few days later the Bluetooth install acts up. Now the device "can't start up properly" according to Windows. After uninstalling it, I can't reinstall it as it can't find a suitable controller. Argh...

EDIT: a shutdown/startup added a bunch of BT devices so now it did work to install the Broadcom drivers.
Today again the BT controller acted up and denied to work. I went to look for new drivers but apparently these are only offered by the OEM itself, which is Asrock. But they haven't updated almost a year. I found newer drivers (6.5.1.5000 vs 6.5.1.3800) from Dell and I extracted the installer which I got working after I got the previous mess figured out (see quote). It now seems to work again, it also includes the WiFi drivers.

I'm going to upload these drivers somewhere so you can benefit from my efforts and link it soon.

EDIT: Broadcom BCM4352 v6.5.1.5000 Windows 7.zip (259.5 MB)

Last edited:
^ thank you so much. i've been looking for BT drivers as well, since the drivers that i downloaded from Broadcom for the BT did not even detect the hardware. much appreciated :)

No problem. Since Asrock doesn't do the work, I guess I can do it for them. I think the problem I had was also related to disabling the Wireless connection in Windows. It sometimes seems to have issues with that. It didn't for a while but the past few weeks I've had more than a few issues with the Bluetooth.

I was testing this all day yesterday with my H220 + splitter. It seems that the sysfan header was using voltage to control the fans when I was using the splitter. When I would plug one of the included fans directly in, it seemed to work without issue. CPU fan header doesn't appear to have this problem.

I was going to test with a Y cable with the sense wire going to one of the fans, but I currently don't have one handy.
So I've come across this issue too: the H220 splitter with the pump and both fans on it, attached to the CPU_FAN header work with temperature-based PWM.
But the pump or the H220 splitter with the fans connected to the CHA_FAN header results in 100% duty cycle.

Maybe I need to try a different fan splitter, I'll try it when I find one.

i'm using Silverstone Y-shaped fan splitters, and i don't have any fan speed problems. of course, i only connect two PWM fans to one splitter, and two non-PWM fans to the other.

Today again the BT controller acted up and denied to work. I went to look for new drivers but apparently these are only offered by the OEM itself, which is Asrock. But they haven't updated almost a year. I found newer drivers (6.5.1.5000 vs 6.5.1.3800) from Dell and I extracted the installer which I got working after I got the previous mess figured out (see quote). It now seems to work again, it also includes the WiFi drivers.

I'm going to upload these drivers somewhere so you can benefit from my efforts and link it soon.

EDIT: Broadcom BCM4352 v6.5.1.5000 Windows 7.zip (259.5 MB)

hi, can you re-upload this? MEGA always gets some errors when i try to download. Thanks!

I tried downloading it, I got no errors using the latest Firefox without the downloader and it downloads at almost 4MB/s. If you know of any other good upload service that isn't full of spam and doesn't delete downloads after a few weeks, I'd be glad to hear it.

have you guys tried connecting a playstation 3 dual shock controller to the bluetooth of asrock z87e-itx? I cant seem to make it work, I'm using win 8.1 btw.

Mind you, my driver is for Windows 7, not Windows 8.1. Those have a different version number.

I think the latest for Windows 8.1 are ther 12.0.0.7850 drivers, as I can't find any more recent ones:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS037865 (BT)
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS037797 (WiFi)

---------------------------------------------------------

Hmm look what the cat dragged in:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/?cat=Beta

Bluetooth driver ver:6.5.1.5100 (Windows 7)
Wireless Lan driver ver:6.30.223.201 (Windows 7/8)

Today again the BT controller acted up and denied to work.
I found the "solution" to my problem: powering down (not reboot !). So it's probably defective somehow, I might look into getting the Intel 7260 AC + Bluetooth card to replace it.

i'm using Silverstone Y-shaped fan splitters, and i don't have any fan speed problems. of course, i only connect two PWM fans to one splitter, and two non-PWM fans to the other.
I found a Y-splitter included with my Noctua NH-L12 CPU cooler, I now have the fans on the CHA_FAN header and the pump on the CPU_FAN header. I've set the ratio's like this:
CPU_FAN --> H220 pump:
1: 0°C --> 10°C = 20% --> 50%
2: 20°C --> 60°C = 50% --> 60%
3: 60°C --> 70°C = 60% --> 70%
4: 70°C --> 100°C = 100%

CHA_FAN --> H220 fans:
1: 0°C --> 10°C = 10% --> 30% (600rpm)
2: 10°C --> 50°C = 30% --> 60% (1250rpm)
3: 50°C --> 60°C = 60% --> 70% (1450rpm)
4: 60°C --> 100°C = 100% (1650rpm)

This way, the PC is reasonably quiet (for me) at idle and still quiet when gaming.

guys anyone using nt06-pro or similar cooler on our z87e-itx? i just want to know how much ram clearance you have. because im planning to buy the nt06-pro. my case is the silverstone ft03-mini btw.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/asrock_z97_oc_formula_z97_motherboard_revealed.html

Ruh-roh ! First MSI and now Asrock... Killer Networks NIC's on the new Z97 motherboards from Asrock. I hope they don't include it on the "Z97E-ITX" or they will lose me as a future customer. I've never been in favor of adding useless software to "improve" latency*, the Intel NIC is one of the main reasons I chose the Z87E-ITX.

* if they really had any tangible positive results, the enterprise market would be all over this performance-enhancing-sticker developer. But it's just like the Fatal1ty crap.

Can anyone test something for me? I bought a USB 3.0 PNY flash drive. I was getting abysmal read/write and it was nowhere near what reviewers were reporting. I was using this on my fron USB 3.0 ports on my NCASE. These ports use the 3.0 header on the mobo. As a last resort I switched to the rear ports and re-ran the test. I quadrupled my previous results. Can anyone else run as ssd or crystal mark on a usb 3.0 flash drive on your front ports as opposed to your rear?

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/asrock_z97_oc_formula_z97_motherboard_revealed.html

Ruh-roh ! First MSI and now Asrock... Killer Networks NIC's on the new Z97 motherboards from Asrock. I hope they don't include it on the "Z97E-ITX" or they will lose me as a future customer. I've never been in favor of adding useless software to "improve" latency*, the Intel NIC is one of the main reasons I chose the Z87E-ITX.

* if they really had any tangible positive results, the enterprise market would be all over this performance-enhancing-sticker developer. But it's just like the Fatal1ty crap.

My From what Ive read and seen, the Z97E-ITX will have Intel's NIC. Unless they do alast minute change, Which I highly doubt, they only use the Killer NIC's on their OC & Fatal1ty Motherboards.

1 of many sources :)
http://thepcenthusiast.com/asrock-z97-extreme-and-z97e-itx-ac-motherboards/

I found the "solution" to my problem: powering down (not reboot !). So it's probably defective somehow, I might look into getting the Intel 7260 AC + Bluetooth card to replace it.
I'd be planning on getting the Intel 7260 AC + Bluetooth card if I bought this Asrock board.

I also prefer an Intel NIC, too. I guess you just need to find the Intel drivers for the 7260 and install them?

My From what Ive read and seen, the Z97E-ITX will have Intel's NIC. Unless they do alast minute change, Which I highly doubt, they only use the Killer NIC's on their OC & Fatal1ty Motherboards.

1 of many sources :)
http://thepcenthusiast.com/asrock-z97-extreme-and-z97e-itx-ac-motherboards/
Excellent ! I also see they have added SATA Express and M.2 :eek:
The WiFi + BT module may have changed, it now has a EMI shield.
EDIT: oops, Z87E-ITX card also has EMI shield !

I guess Asrock will sell me another board in a few months :)

I'd be planning on getting the Intel 7260 AC + Bluetooth card if I bought this Asrock board.

I also prefer an Intel NIC, too. I guess you just need to find the Intel drivers for the 7260 and install them?
Yeah if Windows Update doesn't find them:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...ductProduct=Intel®+Dual+Band+Wireless-AC+7260

Last edited:
Back