Asrock Z87E-ITX

Alright, it's decided then. I have finalized on this board.
If the Wifi+BT doesn't work with Ubuntu, I'll just replace the mini card or use a USB adapter.

I am hoping that it gets supported in an Ubuntu update.
Thanks for all your inputs.

I forgot to mention it here, but with UEFI 2.10, my system now is completely stable even when setting my RAM to 1.35V like it's rated for.

Same, I never had problems since 1.80 or later. I must admit I have never had issues with 1.35V RAM though, always worked like it should.

Picked one up at Microcenter earlier this week. Mine has a "New C2" sticker on the box.

For this board would someone be kind enough to tell me which are the required drivers for this board that will remove all of the yellow exclamations out of device manager so I don't have to install any unnecessary bloat. Thank you in advanced!

For this board would someone be kind enough to tell me which are the required drivers for this board that will remove all of the yellow exclamations out of device manager so I don't have to install any unnecessary bloat. Thank you in advanced!

INF driver
Intel Management Engine driver
Lan driver
Intel USB 3.0 driver
Wireless Lan driver

I made an accurate Sketchup model of this board if anyone is remotely interested.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B_eK9-nvPN5jREFsc1NIRFFtdTg/

CUSTdro.jpg

CPU-Z?

I just picked up one of these boards from Micro Center, along with the $199 4770k deal.

CPU-Z?

I just picked up one of these boards from Micro Center, along with the $199 4770k deal.

We must be the same person as I just picked up the exact combo from the Fairfax VA microcenter for $328.58.

Stupid Tustin location doesn't give the special walk-in pricing for CPUs, so I ended up getting a 4670K when I bought the mobo just to get a reasonable "deal". :mad:

What speed is the mSATA slot on the MB. Is it slower than the SATA6 ports ?

I'm debating whether to buy an mSSD or go with a regular SSD

We must be the same person as I just picked up the exact combo from the Fairfax VA microcenter for $328.58.

Haha, negative, Ghost Rider. I bought mine at the Chicago/Westmont store. If you also bought yours there and we had the same first name (mine's really common) then that would be super bizarro. :eek:

What speed is the mSATA slot on the MB. Is it slower than the SATA6 ports ?

I'm debating whether to buy an mSSD or go with a regular SSD

It is indeed SATA 6Gbps, because it uses the chipset ports and all Z87 SATA ports are 6Gbps (unlike Z77). Note that Z87 supports six SATA ports but the motherboard has eight, with six normal, one eSATA and one mSATA. You "lose" the use of onboard SATA ports when you connect mSATA or eSATA devices because they are shared. Thus, for instance if you use mSATA (but not eSATA) only five of the normal SATA ports will work. The manual will detail which exact ports stop working.

Don't get mSATA just to get it. Reason is that M2 (AKA NGFF) is replacing mSATA as a form factor.

Do get mSATA if you need more drives and your case doesn't support all that you need, or if you were planning a super clean (cabling-wise) build.

Got me one of these badboys with a 4770k deal at microcenter, not to shabby for 338 with tax out the door. Stuck this in an Elite 120 with a Corsair H80.

As far as routers is it worth going to an ac router with the onboard wireless or should I buy into the intel ac if I wanted to go that route?

Also you guys have any pointers for overclocking on the haswell chips, I have been without an overclocking chip for a long time.

Got an i7-4771 at Fry's. Need a board to put it into now. Tried the Z87E-ITX earlier this year and had issues with it. Hopefully they've fixed those issues in the C2 version.

Got me one of these badboys with a 4770k deal at microcenter, not to shabby for 338 with tax out the door. Stuck this in an Elite 120 with a Corsair H80.

As far as routers is it worth going to an ac router with the onboard wireless or should I buy into the intel ac if I wanted to go that route?

Also you guys have any pointers for overclocking on the haswell chips, I have been without an overclocking chip for a long time.

If you can afford to get an AC router, get one. I'd probably go with a Netgear R7000. If you want Asus, I'd wait a few months to get the AC68U. I try to stay away from the first revision of Asus routers. The D-Link DIR-868L is pretty good too, though range obviously isn't as great as the Netgear or Asus.

Hi guys,

Are you guys running on Haswell compatible PSUs ?
I read that the lower power sleep states in Haswell are not compatible with most of the PSUs
Is there an option in the BIOS to disable those lower power sleep states ?

I don't use sleep on my PC. My computer cold-boots up faster than my screen turns on, so it actually doesn't matter for me.

Also:

57W9wwW.png

Does the e sata port have port multiplier?

I'm looking for a way to connect a bunch of hard drives to the computer externally since a SFF case has limited space.

Want to know if this board can do that with e sata.

I'd be willing to bet that it does not, since it is hooked up to Intel's chipset (you lose one of the internal ports).

There are some multi-bay USB 3.0 enclosures you could use.

I'd be willing to bet that it does not, since it is hooked up to Intel's chipset (you lose one of the internal ports).

There are some multi-bay USB 3.0 enclosures you could use.

Ah, that is disappointing. Do you know of any multi-bay usb 3.0 enclosures? I can't find any on the egg, they all seem to be e sata.

Why not make a NAS while you're using them externally anyway ? Unless Gbit (120MB/s) isn't fast enough for you, but then you're lost on mITX anyway, without sacrificing the PCIe slot.

Do you know of any multi-bay usb 3.0 enclosures?

Iview HF2-SU3

VANTEC NexStar HX4 NST-640SU3-BK

They appear to be twins separated at birth in some random Chinese factory, down to the chipset used. However, the Iview for whatever reason gets worse reviews. Newegg closed them out for $39.99 shipped and AFAIK they've been out of stock since. The Vantec has been on sale for $79.99 shipped in the past.

There are also cheaper 2 bay enclosures available, but I say go big or go home! :D

Why not make a NAS while you're using them externally anyway ? Unless Gbit (120MB/s) isn't fast enough for you, but then you're lost on mITX anyway, without sacrificing the PCIe slot.
A NAS would be pointless for me because I dont have my own network at university.

I don't see the problem, you can always create your own network with a router.

I don't see the problem, you can always create your own network with a router.
Buying a router just to make a network to use a NAS with just sounds like a waste of money especially if there are alternatives.
The router isn't doing me any favors except for running the NAS. Doesn't seem worth it.

Yes and no: every DHCP request will go to the university's DHCP server, along with DNS queries and all traffic not directed at the IP addresses used on the switch. That's why I advised a router, it will handle the DHCP and DNS, even if you only get one IP address.

Hi

Looking reviews I saw this pic (Is a Asrock Z77e ITX but the 87 has the same connector in a similar place):

asrock-z77e-itx-layout-9.jpg

Anyone with a Z87E-ITX and a Corsair H100i? The mSata connector can be a problem?

Regards

I was curious about msata myself. Anyone using this board with a msata drive for OS? Getting ready for the M1 and was thinking of picking one up to replace my sata2 Intel ssd and free up some room in the case

I haven't bought this board yet.
Is there any way I can check from the serial number whether this is the C1 or the C2 chipset stepping ?

Back