Asrock Z87 Not Posting - Dr Debug 99

rgratto2

2[H]4U
Edit: Its working. Microcenter has a nice troubleshooting center!

I picked up an i5 4670K and an Asrock Z87 Extreme4 from Microcenter earlier in the week for a build. The machine is using the integrated intel graphics. I've been having a flurry of issues trying to get the darn thing working.

After completing the installation, the first Dr Debug error I got was 55, related to the RAM. I moved the two sticks to the other dual channel DIMs (even though I had initially placed them in the recommended slots for only 2 sticks) and this error was resolved.

After resolving that issue, I now receive the Dr Debug error # 99. The message for this error is "Problem related to PCI-E devices. Please re-install PCI-E devices or try installing them in other slots. If the problem still exists, please remove all PCI-E devices or try using another VGA card." The thing is, I don't have any PCIE devices installed.

I have tried resetting the CMOS. I have put in an older video card i had lying around. I have tried different output connections for the onboard video (HDMI and analog). The PSU in there has both the 4 and 8 pin connector for the mobo so I have tried using both.

Nothing seems to be working. I keep getting the error 99 and I get NO video output. I am about at my wits end and am about ready to contact Microcenter to see what needs to be done to get a replacement. (Luckily, I'm in Chicago so the store is very close).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Head on over to Elston and pick up a new one. Something's not right here, just swap it out.

Well, I did head on over to Microcenter after troubleshooting with their online technician. He sent me this Tom's forum post, which i thought was pretty cool tbh: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I toted the PC around the store and spoke with their quirky troubleshooting guy. He went through some basics with me (such as making sure mobo power cables were plugged in, etc) just to make sure there was no obvious stupidity. After going through that, we hooked it up and my jaw nearly hit the floor when it just worked. We literally did nothing other than poke at it and plug in the cables.

I'm kind of upset that I don't have a real explanation. I suspect I may have had a cable dangling in a strange way that was causing a short or something. I should have breadboarded it before going to the store, but I was being a noob i guess. Thanks for reading!

Back