Asrock Z77E-ITX boots with intel stock cooler, but not AXP-140

sbao26975

n00b
So a few days ago I had the AXP-140 installed and working fine, but then I was stress testing it and it shut off. It would still turn on but it wouldn't boot.

I took everything out of the case, and put the intel stock cooler on for easier access and it turns out it works. Today I replaced it with the AXP-140 and it won't even turn on. I just went back to the intel stock cooler and it works fine. I've double checked all connections and I'm just about to go crazy.

There is one capacitor that makes contact with the mounting plate...I don't know if this is a problem...or if too much pressure causes it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Try just the AXP fan without mounting it to make sure its not the fan causing the problem but it seems that the mounting plate is the only thing that could cause the problem.

Fixed it. Put slightly less pressure on it and insulated any possible metal on metal points.

Weirdest problem I've ever encountered building a computer so far.

make sure you check the temps with HW monitor while stress testing with Prime95 and Intel Burntest to be sure you have the heatsync fan seated properly

if it did touch the solder points... RMA the board or something, something might have been damaged. Once I had that issue, back then in the Socket 478 days, a loose screw was behind the tray.. the motherboard worked "fine" for 2 years. But it never performed as expected. I tried all my hardware on a friends board and performance was waaaaaay better. Even weirder, my fps on CS:S would start dropping after some minutes... something got damaged and I never realized

if it did touch the solder points... RMA the board or something, something might have been damaged. Once I had that issue, back then in the Socket 478 days, a loose screw was behind the tray.. the motherboard worked "fine" for 2 years. But it never performed as expected. I tried all my hardware on a friends board and performance was waaaaaay better. Even weirder, my fps on CS:S would start dropping after some minutes... something got damaged and I never realized

Hopefully it's not that bad, everything is running fine.

Just ordered an Asrock Z77E, but cancelled it after seeing ur thread. I experienced exactly those difficulties when installing my AXP 140 onto my current Zotac mobo. I also didnt give up on my ripjaw RAM, so it was extremely hard to screw it in. I decide to either save the money and stay current settings, or switch to a water cooling and get the new board, which is not as cool as AXP's looking :(

Back