Asrock z77 itx is out

.Waiting on the super expensive Asus myself. I do hope this is a little better than the Z68, seems as though they took some feedback.

Hopefully no throttling! Also, someone reported audio noise on ASRock's H77 ITX board. Hopefully this one doesn't have that issue.

Hopefully the brave first purchasers will let us know soon...

Are these boards so expensive just because they're new and there really isn't any competition yet in the z77 itx market?

Good question. Z68 ITX prices were not crazy high like this when they first came out. And only two brands released anything - there was fewer competition.

Good question. Z68 ITX prices were not crazy high like this when they first came out. And only two brands released anything - there was fewer competition.

I would say that this board is more feature-full than previous boards. The Zotac Z68 ITX boards were very expensive and didn't overclock all that well. For what you're getting (6+2 phase, wifi, etc.) this is a pretty reasonable price at release.

I wonder if you put a Thermalright AXP-140 on this board if it will it end up blocking the PCI-E slot...

I wonder if you put a Thermalright AXP-140 on this board if it will it end up blocking the PCI-E slot...

Even if it's fine in relation to the PCIe, there will be problems with the backplate of the AXP-140 and the msata connector of the board.

600x338px-LL-f4f0f3af_2012-04-24_16-20-59_852.jpeg

yeah there is always a workaround with the mounting it seems, PCI-E blockage though.... probably not.

yeah there is always a workaround with the mounting it seems, PCI-E blockage though.... probably not.

the existing layout of 1155 mini-itx have no issue when mounting AXP-140, the cooler is very close to PCI-E, but not blocking it

MissJ- looking forward to your results :)

Gah! Stop making exactly what I want :p. I love the look of the signature 680 too. Good luck! Post lots of pics :D

lol it won't post, just on for 10 seconds then reboot. I've tried to clear CMOS, made sure 8 and 24 pin are plugged in and I have no idea what to do now.

Last edited:
lol it won't post, just on for 10 seconds then reboot. I've tried to clear CMOS, made sure 8 and 24 pin are plugged in and I have no idea what to do now.

Noooooooo! This might make it the first DOA I've heard of, but it does boot, so... is memory seated right and the CPU in the socket correctly and such? I don't know much about this kind of stuff lol, sorry.

Oh, I got something right, woo first time actually helping somebody LOL. Post pics on the build! Also, how's that smexy 680 look in person?

I need some pics!!!!! :D

Well, I'm undervolted by .100v, sitting at 4.2 with around 1.175V. Temps staying under 60C with two Slipstream PWMs running slow, so I'm satisfied for now lol. The Signature is a tiny bit louder @ 30% fan, seems quieter at 70% fan, but it runs way cooler 10C+

20120426172132.jpg

20120426172144g.jpg

Oh and it makes my Plextor M3 do this :p

m33z.jpg

Edit: Oh and my 3DMark11 is exactly 10,000! What is going on? lol
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3284441

Last edited:
Damn that's a sexy card. Does you using the H60 + GTX 680 not allow you to have a cd/dvd drive?

Also, how are you liking the Plexor?

Last edited:
You can't use a slim drive with the H60 in the vertical orientation. I have an external, but what would anyone need a cd/dvd drive for? Oh and I've been loving the Plextor for a few months, it's a great SSD :)

You can't use a slim drive with the H60 in the vertical orientation. I have an external, but what would anyone need a cd/dvd drive for? Oh and I've been loving the Plextor for a few months, it's a great SSD :)

Some old games require the disk in the drive and many people use a DvD drive for watching movies. You can argue just buy a external drive but its one more thing you have to buy and carry around. Not everyone can and wants to stream stuff. Better if you can get everything you want in the box and be done with it.

Some old games require the disk in the drive and many people use a DvD drive for watching movies. You can argue just buy a external drive but its one more thing you have to buy and carry around. Not everyone can and wants to stream stuff. Better if you can get everything you want in the box and be done with it.

Sure, to each his/her own, but I can't remember the last time I bought anything on DVD. If you want a slim drive inside with the H60, you'd have to rotate the radiator, cut off or bend the 2.5 HDD bracket and go with a shorter card.

Hopefully no throttling! Also, someone reported audio noise on ASRock's H77 ITX board. Hopefully this one doesn't have that issue.

Hopefully the brave first purchasers will let us know soon...

That was me, I was just coming back with an update. The problem is definitely the case (SG05), I added a braided ground strap I got from work from one of the standoffs to one of the screws on the PSU and the problem went away completely.

Aaaaah, so tempted to pull the trigger on the Z77E-ITX. What are the chances that Thunderbolt will actually be useful to me?

I'm going to be swapping my ASRock Z68 for the Z77 here later tonight. I have an AXP-140 so we'll see how it goes. I'll report back.

AXP-140 works fine on this board. You have to grind off just a tiny bit of the backplate. The MSATA isn't the issue (it barely clears) but there's a small chip next to it that gets into the backplate's personal space. On the topside there's a cap right next to the PCI-Ex slot that I'm sure is touching the AXP-140's frame but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

And BTW...loaded up the generic 4.6GHz preset with my 2600k...5 minutes of Prime95 without it pulling back at all. 4.6 GHz and 116-118w (indicated) - solid as a rock. Seems they've done some work since the Z68. Well done ASRock.

I used washers in place of the H50 backplate and I'll probably have to remount because it was a total pain. But so far I've got my 2500K at 4.5 with load voltage of 1.28. Load temps are low 60's (except for one core which has a 6C difference from the rest so maxes at 65-66).

Most settings are still at auto. All the power saving features are on. This is my first SB CPU / IB board so it took me a little longer to figure out the BIOS settings but I'm really surprised at how easy it was to overclock in general.

AXP-140 works fine on this board. You have to grind off just a tiny bit of the backplate. The MSATA isn't the issue (it barely clears) but there's a small chip next to it that gets into the backplate's personal space. On the topside there's a cap right next to the PCI-Ex slot that I'm sure is touching the AXP-140's frame but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

And BTW...loaded up the generic 4.6GHz preset with my 2600k...5 minutes of Prime95 without it pulling back at all. 4.6 GHz and 116-118w (indicated) - solid as a rock. Seems they've done some work since the Z68. Well done ASRock.

If it's not too big of a hassle, would you mind posting pictures?

so is the mSATA 2.0 or 3.0? :D I really want to let my Runcore T50 fly!

Back