ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Voltage Control Issues

Bop

2[H]4U
I built my first Micro-ATX system (I wanted a small PC... it'll help when I move!) and I decided upon an ASRock board. I'm beginning to nearly regret that decision already.

I can't seem to find a way to fix the voltage. If I set an auto or a minimal cpu voltage offset the board automatically jacks the voltage under load. Multiplier is at 42. Speedstep is off and the voltage offset controls do not allow me to fix a voltage. With minimal offset it spikes to 1.24v under load (vs 1.68v idle).

Am I missing a setting?

Edit: I found a way to fix the voltage, but according to RealTemp/ CPU-ID it is not responding to the voltage offset whatsoever.

2nd Edit: Oddly enough the second or third time I rebooted the settings seem to finally "stick." I can fix the voltage and adjust it properly. Phew!

Last edited:
That sure doesn't sound right. I've got its younger brother, the Pro4-M (would have got the Extreme4-M if MC was carrying it when I purchased) and I have it a 42 with Auto voltage, no offset and my voltage readings are ok and so far it is super stable. I finally got a good day to stress it yesterday with high ambient temps, playing Shogun TW II while watching a movie and jumping in and out of virtual machines and temps barely hit 60 C, and that is with a cheaper cooler - an AC Freezer Pro 775.

If it gives you any more weirdness that may be a sign that you'll continue to have issues and may want to RMA.

Back