ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M, cant install to SSD????

DeathsDeath

Limp Gawd
OK i have a ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M and everything plus in and works and is going good ... until I get into bios I can see my plextor 128gb SSD, made sure it was on ASCI mode or what ever... then i boot into windows I CAN NOT SEE THE SSD!!! I TRIED ever sata3 slot and can see it in the bios just not on windows instal ...

I can see my HDD Samsung and WD black drive, I can see them with or with out the SSD plugged in ... I can not for the life of me on this board get to see the SSD to be on the windows instal screen ...

Am i doing something wrong??

Last edited:
I remember reading some complaints about this, IIRC the fix was to use the black SATA ports and make sure the BIOS has the setting configured to BOOTABLE. Not sure where exactly this setting is, but I'm sure you should be able to figure it out.

(been gone all day) I will try this ... random ...

Cause worked no problems on my Asus z68 ... :D

Just to cover all bases, you should have it plugged into SATA3_0 as in this image.

You should have AHCI enabled under Advanced/Storage - Sata Mode Selection

And the sata port configured as Solid State Drive

If that doesn't do it, then try this suggestion from a support forum:

Occasionally, Windows setup can chuck a fit when it discovers a drive with an invalid MBR/boot sector and won't install to it. To fix this, you could try the following
1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.
7. Try installing now.

When i get hom in a few more hours I am stocked to try out both these ideas and i am hoping one of them orks or I am going to have to get a new ssd :(

Just to cover all bases, you should have it plugged into SATA3_0 as in this image.

You should have AHCI enabled under Advanced/Storage - Sata Mode Selection

And the sata port configured as Solid State Drive

If that doesn't do it, then try this suggestion from a support forum:

Occasionally, Windows setup can chuck a fit when it discovers a drive with an invalid MBR/boot sector and won't install to it. To fix this, you could try the following
1.Boot up Windows 7 disc.
2.When the welcome screen comes up on Windows Setup, press Shift + F10, which will display a command prompt.
3.Type "diskpart" (no quotes) and press enter.
4.Type "list disk" and press enter.
5.Hopefully you can see your SSD in the list. You should see a number identifying it. Now type "select disk X" (where X is the number identifying your SSD) and press enter.
6.Type "clean" and press enter. This will write a blank MBR, YOU WILL LOSE ANY DATA ON THE SSD if you did have anything on it.
7. Try installing now.

I FORMATTED MY THUMB DRIVE AND THE SSD LOLZ sack :) I hope it worked ... i need to remake my thumb drive ...

had to take the flash drive to the mac reallocate the partition ... LOLZ ... now I hope I dont have any problems with the SDD as it si unallocated too :D We will see!!

Edit: Worked and is going GREAT! :)

Last update! EVERYTHING WORKS! thank you so much for the help and it worked great once i got a blank MBR.

So if any one gets this far and cant see or able to get the ssd to be installed on .. then time to RMA board or SSD ...

[H] rocks :)

Awesome, glad it worked out. With all these little problems, it's no wonder some people just pay for a pre-built computer so they don't have to deal with this stuff.

Speaking of thumb drive problems, I bought a cheap usb3 4GB stick to make a dedicated win7 x64 install disk and the Windows USB ISO format tool just wouldn't work with it. I found a trick using the "diskpart" tool for that also and it worked like a charm. Something about the factory formatting of some drives just don't work right.

Back